X not getting much as much attention as Zero?

Irregular Ass-R-Us · 4612

Offline Irregular Ass-R-Us

• Dedicated Pompous Gimpy Douchebag With A Burning Passion! (◥▶◀◤).
  • Robot Master
  • Ultra Super Godly Royal [Top Spin]. (◥▶◀◤)
    • View Profile
on: August 17, 2013, 11:20:39 PM
Sometimes i feel that after X4 (Maybe X3) that X didn't get too much story as a character. I felt that there was more attention to Zero rather than X.
Zero had someone he really cared about and felt more than sad when he had to kill her.

In X4 there was mostly Zeros past that was revealed. While X had to fight a spy and there was no cut-scene or mention of his past. They should mention X's past before he was an irregular hunter or when he was found by doctor Cain and he should also have someone or something special that he cares about deeply like Iris which Zero had.

Also in X5 i felt it was definitely more about Zero rather than X. Since it was about Zero handling the virus and realizing that he cannot be infected but the people around (Except X) could. X6, despite the fact you have to unlock Zero. Once you unlock Zero, it is focused more on him since Gate used his DNA to power himself up. Isoc also mostly talks about Zero and knows a lot about Zero, it has been speculated that he may be Wily.

Then in X7, X was an unlock-able character and his character development flew out of the window since he is a strong pacifist that doesn't want to fight (until you unlock him) and this time it was focused more on Axl which is acceptable and there's no problem with that because he was a new character that was introduced,

In X8 it was equal since everyone got an equal amount of attention.

But for the majority Zero gets more attention than X. Its not that i dislike Zero since he is my second favorite character and i mostly play as him. But in the end i think X got much less attention then Zero.

Anyway I would like to hear your thoughts and opinions on this. i like discussing with you guys.   :)

Offline Fxeni

• Master's Unit
  • Shall we?
    • View Profile
Reply #1 on: August 17, 2013, 11:48:29 PM
I'm in agreement that X tends to get the shaft after X3. I'm pretty sure it's because Inafune wanted Zero to be the main character originally, so that's why the focus shifted gradually over to him. I always thought X had so much more potential than what he was given, which is why I was looking forward to the Irregular/Maverick Hunter X games since it looked like they were going to flesh everything out more. That didn't pan out well, sadly.

Offline Da Dood

• SA-Class Hunter
  • Dood Trigger!
    • View Profile
Reply #2 on: August 17, 2013, 11:49:31 PM
I think it all comes down to Zero being a more interesting character than X. Zero is full of mystery and has several ties, while X's "thing" is that he does not support violence.

It doesn't help that Zero has always been incredibly popular.

• Robot Master
    • View Profile
Reply #3 on: August 17, 2013, 11:58:13 PM
I agree that Inafune-san indeed wanted to make Zero the main character and Zero is full of mystery because of small segments of his past which makes him indeed interesting. Also its a huge shame that they did not make the Irregular Hunter Games since it was more focused on X and it also made X a little more interesting and the development was good. such potential  O^O all gone to waste.

I think it all comes down to Zero being a more interesting character than X. Zero is full of mystery and has several ties, while X's "thing" is that he does not support violence.

Its true but X was still fighting and he matured a lot more in X6 and Command Mission since he still did fight to protect reploids. In X7 all the development and potential X had, had been wasted.

Offline Zan

• Master's Unit
  • Unpleasable Unhelpful Utopian Totalitarian
    • View Profile
Reply #4 on: August 19, 2013, 03:35:10 AM
The attention X demands most as a character simply cannot be easily provided in an action game. As evident by X7, they had to remove X from the front-lines in order to capitalize on his pacifism.

For X4 in particular, aside from any political agency he may hold in persuading Repliforce, X needed more screen-time with the like-minded Iris. Vice versa, Zero should scoff at Double's clumsy behaviour, while X defends his C-rank recruit.

Prior to that, X's limitless potential, his human-like soul, viral immunity, and creator are key focal points of mystery... while as a character, they ought to show his development into a confident leader (replacing Sigma and Zero in the position of 17th Elite Commander), followed by him and Zero becoming equal partners. VAVA's return then serves as the perfect means by which to ascertain X's growth.

• Robot Master
    • View Profile
Reply #5 on: August 19, 2013, 09:40:25 PM
The attention X demands most as a character simply cannot be easily provided in an action game. As evident by X7, they had to remove X from the front-lines in order to capitalize on his pacifism.

For X4 in particular, aside from any political agency he may hold in persuading Repliforce, X needed more screen-time with the like-minded Iris. Vice versa, Zero should scoff at Double's clumsy behaviour, while X defends his C-rank recruit.

Prior to that, X's limitless potential, his human-like soul, viral immunity, and creator are key focal points of mystery... while as a character, they ought to show his development into a confident leader (replacing Sigma and Zero in the position of 17th Elite Commander), followed by him and Zero becoming equal partners. VAVA's return then serves as the perfect means by which to ascertain X's growth.

Indeed i completely agree with this.I think Irregular hunter X was a good example to show X's potential and his pacifism and his emotions. I cannot stop watching the day of Sigma because of how well it was done. I really wish that the games were remade like IH X and give Both X and Zero equal attention. I wish that one day CAPCOM could realize their mistakes and look at how much the fans love Rockman.

Offline Gauntlet101010

• A-Class Hunter
    • View Profile
    • The Mechanical Maniacs
Reply #6 on: August 19, 2013, 10:00:56 PM
In theory X could have just a mysterious of a past as Zero, but they never focus on that.  Probably because it has to shine a light on the classic series in (potentially) a tragic light (I mean they're all likely dead, so it's kinda sad).

• Robot Master
    • View Profile
Reply #7 on: August 19, 2013, 10:04:56 PM
That is true but if it tells X`s past in the X series than its okay because the series was more darker than classic.

Offline Gauntlet101010

• A-Class Hunter
    • View Profile
    • The Mechanical Maniacs
Reply #9 on: August 20, 2013, 12:20:37 AM
Just connecting him to the classic series makes him tragic in my eyes.  The classic series is so much lighter compared to his.  In essence he's lost two brothers, a sister, a father, and all the light the classic series had. 

Of course they could play off it as a "cool legacy od heroism" sort of thing, where he takes strength from his old family. 

Well ... all that is fanfic stuff at this point. 

Offline Police Girl

• A total qt
  • Legendary Hero
  • cannons are cool i guess
    • View Profile
Reply #10 on: August 20, 2013, 12:41:51 AM
That is true but if it tells X`s past in the X series than its okay because the series was more darker than classic.

Well I wouldn't exactly say its "More Darker" than Classic, it has its moments but then again classic had some dark moments once it left the NES (7's Ending primarily... actually that's all I can think of, maybe R&F has some stuff in there too?)

Offline Gauntlet101010

• A-Class Hunter
    • View Profile
    • The Mechanical Maniacs
Reply #11 on: August 20, 2013, 01:21:31 AM
Nothing dark in the classic series can hold a candle to the X series.  MM getting POed in 7 is nothing compared to a space colony ruining the planet.  By the same wacky dude who made Sheepman!

The darkest the classic series got was Superadventure.  People die in the intro and, if you lose, you get to see Roll die.  

Speaking of MM killing Wily, he totally tried to do that in MM2GB at the end of the game.  Just saying .... a missile to his escape pod in deep space could only have one modivation behind it.  Cartoony skull explosion or no, MM wasn't messing around in that game. :P

Offline Flame

• The obsessive
  • RPM Soldier
    • View Profile
Reply #12 on: August 20, 2013, 01:22:16 AM
Well I wouldn't exactly say its "More Darker" than Classic
It sure is. that's the whole point, too. "Super Rockman" was suipposed to be as "edgy" and "cool" as possible. Early character sketches for the main character have a popped collar. Because that's edgy. I mean, look at the design that became Zero in X1. Look how cool and edgy it is. (literally! He has jagged parts on his helmet!) Consider that that was almost Mega Man X's design.

...When Larry the reploid accountant goes maverick of his own accord, he's certainly formidable during tax season, but he isn't going to provide X the challenge needed to make him grow as a warrior and reach his potential.