Wait wat, a gritty FPS MMX reboot was actually going to be real?

Solar · 5703

Offline Solar

• SHSL Solar Boy
  • Legendary Hero
    • View Profile
In 2010, Capcom tapped the talent behind Metroid Prime to bring Mega Man into the modern age — only to have the game suffer the fate of similar recent attempts to find a new audience for the 8-bit hero.

Codenamed Maverick Hunter, the first-person shooter had the blessing of Mega Man's creator and a talented team tasked with attracting a new generation of fans. But the departure of Keiji Inafune likely killed the most interesting take on the 25-year-old character to date.

Mega Man's foray into the first-person shooter genre looked, at least on paper, like a formula for success. One of a handful of collaborations with Western developers kicked off by Mega Man creator Keiji Inafune, the Mega Man first-person shooter was in development at Austin-based Armature Studio, the promising developer founded by Metroid Prime's creators. The new Mega Man would have been redesigned by the concept artist responsible for adapting Iron Man's armor for Marvel's successful film franchise. Thematically, the game would have built upon the mythology of Mega Man X, a series that was a darker, more mature spin-off of the cuter, classic Mega Man franchise.

The game would have stayed true to core Mega Man X gameplay concepts, re-imagining his X-Buster arm cannon, his dash and his ability to appropriate the special powers of his fallen enemies. Platforming elements, including X's wall jump, and classic Mega Man X characters would have been re-imagined in new ways.

Unfortunately, Armature's Mega Man first-person shooter, Maverick Hunter shared the fate of the Blue Bomber's other recent projects — Mega Man Legends 3, Mega Man Universe, Mega Man Online — and was canceled before the public ever had the opportunity to see it.

According to a number of Capcom sources, Armature's Maverick Hunter was prototyped and playable. It had a short lifespan, only about six months in the first half of 2010. It showed promise, sources said, but was deemed a significant gamble, and quietly killed before Inafune publicly exited Capcom in late 2010.

http://www.polygon.com/2013/4/9/4179628/mega-man-fps-maverick-hunter

More info and even footage in the article.

I...am not sure what to think of this tbh.

My life is currently bears and Jojos and everything is great.

Offline The Great Gonzo

• Master's Unit
    • View Profile
Capcom was unwilling to take risks? SHOCK OF ALL SHOCKS

(Yes, I know it was developed by a third party, but I have a hard time believing Capcom wouldn't have had a say in that project's fate)

A Megaman FPS developed by the Metroid Prime games team sounds like it might be fun, as long as they didn't bog it down with current FPS gameplay trends.

Offline ViperAcidZX

• Blastia researcher and
  • Master's Unit
    • View Profile
    • -Lousy Artist since 1991-
The melee action seems impractical and kinda takes you out of the game while you wait for the animation to finish. Hoping Retro Studios don't screw this up, I liked the Metroid Prime games.

Offline Solar

• SHSL Solar Boy
  • Legendary Hero
    • View Profile
A Megaman FPS developed by the Metroid Prime games sounds like it might be fun, as long as they didn't bog it down with current FPS gameplay trends.

You do realize it's only like 3 of the people that made Metroid Prime, right?

Honestly, I'm really not sure how to feel about this, but my gut feeling is leaning towards the "I think I don't mind that this was cancelled" side.

The melee action seems impractical and kinda takes you out of the game while you wait for the animation to finish. Hoping Retro Studios don't screw this up, I liked the Metroid Prime games.

It's not Retro Studios, and they can't screw up something that doesn't exist anymore anyways.

My life is currently bears and Jojos and everything is great.

Offline The Great Gonzo

• Master's Unit
    • View Profile
You do realize it's only like 3 of the people that made Metroid Prime, right?

D'oh. >.<

(And I just now noticed that typo I made. Hur dur i can typing)

Offline Sakura Leic

• PB's Egoprentice and Weapon's Shack Owner
  • RPM Soldier
  • Don't make me mess you up
    • View Profile
I probably wouldn't buy this because I'm not into FPS's.

Current playthrough: Chrono Trigger and God Eater Ressurection

Offline VixyNyan

• Kind & Generous Fluffy Pillow~
  • RPM Ecchi Princess
  • ♪ Vixylicious Nya Nya~ ♪
    • View Profile
    • Rockman Perfect Memories
I probably wouldn't buy this because I'm not into FPS's.

Same, but there are exceptions like Portal, Metroid Prime and other interesting ones with puzzle elements. ^^

Nintendo 3DS Friend Code: 3480-2506-4200
[DeviantArt|Twitch.tv|Youtube|Fan Work|WiiVC|Character File]
Rock10: Ranking. Rock9: AC, EA, SS, Challenge, Ranking.
(c) Sky Child~                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                         

Offline Sakura Leic

• PB's Egoprentice and Weapon's Shack Owner
  • RPM Soldier
  • Don't make me mess you up
    • View Profile
Yeah I really need to play Portal someday.

Current playthrough: Chrono Trigger and God Eater Ressurection

Offline Align

• Master's Unit
    • View Profile
    • Natural Selection, my FPS of choice
Hmm... Could've been interesting. Would definitely have been interested unless it turned out to be completely awful.

Offline ViperAcidZX

• Blastia researcher and
  • Master's Unit
    • View Profile
    • -Lousy Artist since 1991-
Same, but there are exceptions like Portal, Metroid Prime and other interesting ones with puzzle elements. ^^
There's some indie first-person puzzlers like Qbeh, Sphere, and Pixel out there too. :3

Offline Amatiramisu

• 6-4 Blackbird
  • Legendary Hero
  • Stand by, Pilot!
    • View Profile
Mega Man 8-bit Deathmatch

I rest my case.

Offline Flame

• The obsessive
  • RPM Soldier
    • View Profile
Dat X visor.

Could have been neat. I've always thought that a Metroid Prime-esque approach to Mega Man would be awesome. Looks like someone in Capcom thought the same.

EDIT: watching the rest of the videos, this definitely could have been lots of fun. The music sounds great too.

And again, DAT X VISOR. I can't get over the X visor. I think it looks all kinds of neat. the "finisher" move involving ramming into the enemy and unloading into them or ripping their roboguts out definitely looked cool. The idea of a Human cop sidekick with the idea being that at times the Robot would seem the more human of the two, sounds like it could have been real nice.

Zero killing Power Hungry X? Hmm. Now that sounds mighty familiar... Who knows how their trilogy would have worked out storywise though.

Still, a shame this never happened.

Gritty though? doesn't seem that gritty to me. Still looks pretty vibrant. I mean come on, you've got a guy in a bright blue suit of armor with a glowing red X on his face.

the idea of the gun forming around his hand from his arm seems like a nice mix of classic arm cannon and post-Zero series gun busters

...When Larry the reploid accountant goes maverick of his own accord, he's certainly formidable during tax season, but he isn't going to provide X the challenge needed to make him grow as a warrior and reach his potential.

Offline Police Girl

• A total qt
  • Legendary Hero
  • cannons are cool i guess
    • View Profile
Its like Bomberman: Act Zero if it were a Megaman game.

And we all know how Act Zero went down.

Offline Protoman Blues

• Green Lantern of Sector 1337
  • RPM Knight
  • Searching for Wanda
    • View Profile
Just make my giant robot MegaMan game in ZOE style and be done with it!

Offline Phi

• RPM Knight
    • View Profile
Looks like a crappy version of Vanquish. I'm glad it never happened.

Offline megaman24681012

• Toa of Ice
  • B-Class Hunter
  • Shoulda chose a better name.
    • View Profile
I'd like to make a note here that even though I should be angry this was almost a thing and would have tarnished our beloved franchise forever, I realize that this meant that Capcom cancelled ANOTHER Mega Man game, to which I am FAR more furious about.

Kopaka: "That leaves you and I, Tahu Nuva."
Tahu: "No. That leaves only me."

Offline Scherzo

• Cyberelf
    • View Profile
It seems kind of interesting... But I probably wouldn't have accepted it as a reboot of MMX. It would have been an enjoyable side thing though.

Clowns to the left of me/Jokers to the right

Offline Fxeni

• Master's Unit
  • Shall we?
    • View Profile
There are some interesting ideas in there, and it might have been ok to play. Not a fan of the general design though to be honest.

Offline Amatiramisu

• 6-4 Blackbird
  • Legendary Hero
  • Stand by, Pilot!
    • View Profile
I would'a pirated it. /shrug

Offline Hypershell

• needs DRAGONITE POWER!
  • Legendary Hero
  • Steel in Zee Head
    • View Profile
    • Get equipped with Hyper's DA
A Megaman FPS developed by the Metroid Prime games team sounds like it might be fun, as long as they didn't bog it down with current FPS gameplay trends.
The videos seem to indicate that is EXACTLY what they did (ditto for visuals and sfx), which is why I'm kinda glad that this one got the axe.

So we're at, what, 4-1/2 cancellations?  Yeah, it hurts.  But I need to be a lot more desperate than I am now (which is saying a LOT) before "western-dark-and-gritty-HARDCOOORE!!111-FPS-reboot" of an anime-style game franchise is my idea of a good time.

o~O  ...you know, I think CoA leaked this on purpose, because only now can I honestly say, "I'd rather play XOver."

Also on DeviantArt, Rumble, DLive.tv, and the Fediverse (@freespeechextremist.com and @bae.st)

Offline Flame

• The obsessive
  • RPM Soldier
    • View Profile
because only now can I honestly say, "I'd rather play XOver."
Yeahno.

I must be incredibly accepting or something, because Castlevania: Lords of Shadow didn't bother me, (to the contrary, I loved it,) whereas half the fanbase erupted in outrage, and Maverick Hunter seems perfectly fine by me, even pretty enjoyable. (and visually appealing, despite the radical design change)

...When Larry the reploid accountant goes maverick of his own accord, he's certainly formidable during tax season, but he isn't going to provide X the challenge needed to make him grow as a warrior and reach his potential.

Offline Amatiramisu

• 6-4 Blackbird
  • Legendary Hero
  • Stand by, Pilot!
    • View Profile
I like the sprinting.

Offline Phi

• RPM Knight
    • View Profile
"I'd rather play XOver."

hyper u silly man