I think my PS3 has reached the end of its life...

VirusChris · 4180

Offline VirusChris

• Virakin of the Darkness Arcana
  • Neo Arcadian
  • I'm the guy people hate
    • View Profile
on: February 18, 2013, 07:23:43 AM
I can't this happen to my PS3 today... I was just playing on it fine until later tonight.

I'm not sure what entirely happen to my PS3, a few hours ago (about 4 hours) I was playing a game on my PS3 and I shut if off after I was done with it and my parents ask me to bring it downstairs so they can watch a Blu-ray movie (as my PS3 is the only Blu-ray player in the house) and when I went downstairs and hooked it up my PS3 wouldn't work!

Basically when we turn it on it either freezes with the PS3 logo popping up, slows down when PS3 logo vanishes, or just stays blank with the background still there and no options to log on. And I can't turn if off by pressing the Power Button for some reason so now I have to pull out the power cord to turn it off which isn't a good idea I believe.

What happened? This my PS3 really is kicking the bucket or I did something to it that damaged it? Just after I upgraded to 500GB memory this happens sometime ago and there's some new PS3 games I'm planning on getting, like Metal Gear Rising: Revenge & Naruto Ultimate Ninja Storm 3, and now I won't be able to play it!

Has this something before to anyone? Can I fix it? Or should I leave it alone? Please, I'm worried about my console as I've had it for more than 3 years!
Can Sony fix my PS3? I hate that I have to buy a new PS3 if they can't fix it.

"Spirit-Soul Fusion! Invoke... VIRUS CROSS!!!" ~ Quote from my Virakins global project
JP PSN: UirusuKurisu
Official Husband of Fox Caster from Fate/Extra <3

Offline Police Girl

• A total qt
  • Legendary Hero
  • cannons are cool i guess
    • View Profile
Reply #1 on: February 18, 2013, 08:13:00 AM
What model is it?

Phat or Slim? (I don't need to ask if its the super slim since that just got released.)

Offline VirusChris

• Neo Arcadian
    • View Profile
Reply #2 on: February 18, 2013, 03:14:19 PM
Slim model.

"Spirit-Soul Fusion! Invoke... VIRUS CROSS!!!" ~ Quote from my Virakins global project

Offline Police Girl

• A total qt
  • Legendary Hero
    • View Profile
Reply #3 on: February 18, 2013, 11:03:23 PM
Huh, damn. If it was a phat I was just going to say that phat models just tend to burn out.

What you should do is check if the power supply is hooked up properly.

Offline VirusChris

• Neo Arcadian
    • View Profile
Reply #4 on: February 18, 2013, 11:15:41 PM
My PS3 can turn on, but it won't load up the Log In menu and the screensaver/background layout is just there. I remember I was playing on my PS3 a week ago and we had a blackout during that time which turned off my PS3.

However the next day after that I brought it to my grandparents house and it was playing just fine.

I even took out my HDD and put it back in to see if it would work. All it did was get rid of the "slow down time" when booting the PS3 on AND I blow out the dust that was in it.

Also my PS3 Controller doesn't seem to turn on or off the PS3 anymore or boot up the menu for it and the Power Button doesn't seem to turn off the PS3 just on.

And that's sort of stupid that the saves are tied to the console itself instead of the HDD... is there any way for me to back up my saves? Can I swap out the HDD on my laptop and put in the HDD I used for my PS3 to backup the saves?

I do NOT want to start over on ALL my games.

This is not something I'm happy about and want to find a way to save my PS3.

Offline Police Girl

• A total qt
  • Legendary Hero
    • View Profile
Reply #5 on: February 18, 2013, 11:19:56 PM
I'm betting that blackout had more severe effects in the long run, it was hooked up to a surge protector, right?

Maybe you should contact Sony, see if you can get a new PS3 and transfer your saves and stuff.

Offline VirusChris

• Neo Arcadian
    • View Profile
Reply #6 on: February 18, 2013, 11:25:55 PM
I'm betting that blackout had more severe effects in the long run, it was hooked up to a surge protector, right?

Maybe you should contact Sony, see if you can get a new PS3 and transfer your saves and stuff.

Apparently so... I hope they can keep everything in contact on my PS3 if I choose to send them my PS3.

I was looking forward to playing MGR:R and NUNS3 when they came out.

But I don't know if the warranty on it is valid or not so I'm not sure to send it or not.

And do I go here for support?
http://us.playstation.com/support/warranties/ps3/index.htm

Offline Police Girl

• A total qt
  • Legendary Hero
    • View Profile
Reply #7 on: February 18, 2013, 11:33:58 PM
Probably, I never had problems with my PS3.

And even if its out of warranty, i'm pretty sure you can still send it in, you might just have to pay a fee or something.

Offline VirusChris

• Neo Arcadian
    • View Profile
Reply #8 on: February 18, 2013, 11:36:29 PM
Hmm...

So I go here to ask them to fix it, right?
https://service1.us.playstation.com/rma.htm?_flowExecutionKey=_cA2F56C66-5C17-03AB-50E8-8EDB584070F2_kB6B03420-CF33-113C-DEDC-7EB61845CD3C

Since I upgraded to a 500GB they won't really touch or replace it, right? Sorry for being a little paranoid, but I don't want to lose my stuff that I worked on for COUNTLESS hours on.

Archer

Reply #9 on: February 19, 2013, 12:57:39 AM
And that's sort of stupid that the saves are tied to the console itself instead of the HDD... is there any way for me to back up my saves? Can I swap out the HDD on my laptop and put in the HDD I used for my PS3 to backup the saves?

I do NOT want to start over on ALL my games.

Should have bought a PlayStation Plus membership and used the online storage feature for your saved games then, huh?

Offline VirusChris

• Neo Arcadian
    • View Profile
Reply #10 on: February 19, 2013, 10:21:45 AM
I didn't know too much about the PlayStation Plus Membership, next time around I'm getting it so I can back up my saves if this happens again! (Which I hope it doesn't)

Posted on: February 19, 2013, 02:37:51 AM
OK... my PS3 went from bad to worse.

Now NOTHING boots up when I turn it on! Just a black screen!
How do I hard reset it or fix my slim PS3? I need to know!

Offline Police Girl

• A total qt
  • Legendary Hero
    • View Profile
Reply #11 on: February 19, 2013, 10:25:22 AM
This is why you should use protection.

Never stick your appliances directly in the wall, always use a surge protector.

Offline VirusChris

• Neo Arcadian
    • View Profile
Reply #12 on: February 19, 2013, 12:51:30 PM
Lesson learned.

Good news I fixed my PS3 and works again! ^_^

Bad news... I lost ALL of my save data. I believe I have most of it on my external Hard Drive, I can use that to restore my lost data or what's left of it?

Offline Police Girl

• A total qt
  • Legendary Hero
    • View Profile
Reply #13 on: February 19, 2013, 05:37:17 PM
I guess you formatted it, right?

Offline VirusChris

• Neo Arcadian
    • View Profile
Reply #14 on: February 19, 2013, 07:27:20 PM
Yes, restore it to its default or original settings when my PS3 came out of the box.

And whew... it might not be much but I managed to get back my old saves, thanks to my eternal hard drive, back in the summer. Sadly games like my Mugen Souls, Dead or Alive 5, Call of Duty: Black Ops 2, Dragon Ball Z HD Budokai, Zone of the Enders HD Collection, Spider-Man: Shatter Dimensions, Spider-Man: Edge of Time, Mass Effect Trilogy, Ni no Kuni (hardly started in it), and possibly some old saves of FFXII where I was closer to the end (not sure), Way of the Samurai 4, and Legasista.

I got to start over on those. Not much, but it's better than nothing... going to continue to backup my saves in the future from now on for my PS3!