Abstract vs game idea

Align · 1353

Offline Align

• Master's Unit
    • View Profile
    • Natural Selection, my FPS of choice
on: February 05, 2013, 02:12:46 PM
posting for the hell of it...

So let's start with a blank white canvas. Then, a red circle representing player one, and a blue circle for P2, some distance away from each other.

The basic mechanic is that they are constantly firing projectiles directly at each other, about 2 per second all bip-bip-bip-bip-bip or whatnot, and they cancel each other out. If you get hit you lose, of course.

Well, if that was it, it'd be an eternal stalemate, looking vaguely like a beam duel from DBZ or Harry Potter... so let's add the fact that you can fire shots not aimed directly at the other guy by clicking at an angle away from the "beam". But in doing so, the middle of the "beam" will get closer to you... And anyway, since we haven't added movement mechanics yet there'd be no point to this - so let's make the projectiles always home in on your enemy!

And I do mean always.

The result is that you can fling shots away from yourself and they will hit your enemy unless he "parries" them with a projectile of his own - which he has to do to not get hit. So the middle of the beam would stabilize again if you both manage to parry each other's attacks.

Much more can be done of course, like adding movement, but at this point I want to ask if it sounds workable... or perhaps like something that already exists?

Offline Flame

• The obsessive
  • RPM Soldier
    • View Profile
Reply #1 on: February 05, 2013, 02:51:54 PM
Soooo.... a Bullet hell/shooter type fighting game?

Im game.

...When Larry the reploid accountant goes maverick of his own accord, he's certainly formidable during tax season, but he isn't going to provide X the challenge needed to make him grow as a warrior and reach his potential.

Offline Cherrykorock

• Dr Light's other creation
  • SA-Class Hunter
  • Zero can divide by Zero.
    • View Profile
Reply #2 on: February 05, 2013, 04:15:15 PM
It sounds pretty workable to me. I like it. =]

Offline VixyNyan

• Kind & Generous Fluffy Pillow~
  • RPM Ecchi Princess
  • ♪ Vixylicious Nya Nya~ ♪
    • View Profile
    • Rockman Perfect Memories
Reply #3 on: February 05, 2013, 06:05:05 PM
An evolution of the Senko no Ronde gameplay. :3

Nintendo 3DS Friend Code: 3480-2506-4200
[DeviantArt|Twitch.tv|Youtube|Fan Work|WiiVC|Character File]
Rock10: Ranking. Rock9: AC, EA, SS, Challenge, Ranking.
(c) Sky Child~                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                         

Offline Align

• Master's Unit
    • View Profile
Reply #4 on: February 05, 2013, 06:13:15 PM
An evolution of the Senko no Ronde gameplay. :3
That looks kind of interesting, but I wonder why they never made a sprite-based one... seems like a natural choice for purely 2D gameplay. Might also help a lot with making your hitbox really clear, but maybe that's just me who suffers from that in 2.5D games

Offline VixyNyan

• Kind & Generous Fluffy Pillow~
  • RPM Ecchi Princess
  • ♪ Vixylicious Nya Nya~ ♪
    • View Profile
    • Rockman Perfect Memories
Reply #5 on: February 05, 2013, 06:22:35 PM
Well, the Senko no Ronde series definitely started the whole concept and it's been out for years (2005 in arcades, 2006 on home console). You can attack with different assortment of weapons that differs from each character, and the bullets trajectory is always locked at the opponent, then once you filled up a special bar, you can evolve your character into a boss-type that can fill the screen with huge amount of bullets to (hopefully, it's not always successful) take over the whole round and win.

I finished the first game, but there's still so much to do in the second one. ^^;

Nintendo 3DS Friend Code: 3480-2506-4200
[DeviantArt|Twitch.tv|Youtube|Fan Work|WiiVC|Character File]
Rock10: Ranking. Rock9: AC, EA, SS, Challenge, Ranking.
(c) Sky Child~                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                         

Offline ViperAcidZX

• Blastia researcher and
  • Master's Unit
    • View Profile
    • -Lousy Artist since 1991-
Reply #6 on: February 06, 2013, 11:56:58 PM
Let's forget Orange_Juice's Acceleration of SUGURI.

Well, the Senko no Ronde series definitely started the whole concept and it's been out for years (2005 in arcades, 2006 on home console). You can attack with different assortment of weapons that differs from each character, and the bullets trajectory is always locked at the opponent, then once you filled up a special bar, you can evolve your character into a boss-type that can fill the screen with huge amount of bullets to (hopefully, it's not always successful) take over the whole round and win.

I finished the first game, but there's still so much to do in the second one. ^^;
Any time can you can help me get the last three achievements or just have matches for the fun of it with me? Thanks.

Offline Suppercut ♡

• Toaster Catgirl Sniper
  • Neo Arcadian
  • something something All Limiters Released
    • View Profile
    • Ironically Opressing Oppression
Reply #7 on: February 07, 2013, 01:22:12 AM
This sounds interesting. Do you mind if I quick-write a prototype and share my results?

what

Offline Align

• Master's Unit
    • View Profile
Reply #8 on: February 10, 2013, 12:02:57 AM
Oh, please do!