Sven Needs Your Input: Digital Capcom Games

Treleus · 27281

Offline Treleus

• B-Class Hunter
    • View Profile
on: December 21, 2012, 05:29:20 PM
http://www.capcom-unity.com/sven/blog/2012/12/20/we-need-your-input

Here's a nicely comprehensive survey as to what we want to see from Capcom on the digital front. Everything's fair game: ports/compilations, HD ports/remakes/compilations, and new HD titles, whether you're on a PC or console. Here's what I put down on mine more or less:

Yes to ports/compilations/new HD titles of Mega Man classic, the SNES half of Mega Man X + X4 (maybe X6 if it's cleaned up), Power Stone, Dino Crisis, the pre-PSP Ghosts n' Goblins games, BN1 & 2, Breath of Fire, and Cyberbots: Full Metal Madness (not listed; entered in)

No to ports/compilations/ new HD titles of Resident Evil, Onimusha, Viewtiful Joe, Dead Rising, etc. etc.

"Franchise extensions" sounds like a mixed bag. It could be anything from turning Mega Man into an MMO or Resident Evil into an adventure game. Since this is for digital games and not retail, I shouldn't be expecting anything huge, so this could be cool and harmless. Or it could be more of Rockman Xover, which may or may not be exciting. This is getting a pretty resounding "eh" from me; there's few if any Capcom franchises I want to see reinvented or branched off right now. I don't really want to see Breath of Fire turning into something other than an RPG about dragons in a fantasy world, for instance. I guess I wouldn't blow a gasket if BoF's latest iteration turned out to be a social game experiment for the iPhone, but I wouldn't be buying it.

Like I said, I do want to see an HD remake of the Mega Man X games, if it takes some cues from MHX and writes a better/different plot and main character. I'd also love to see HD remakes of the old Breath of Fire games; those could do with some major overhauling. Even Legends could do with a new coat of paint. I'd want to see these kinds of projects the most, for starters. Then, or as a coincidence, franchise reboots/new entries. $10 seems like a reasonably accessible price for digital title remakes/new entries.

I put down my support for the following franchises: Strider, Power Stone, Mega Man, Ghosts n' Goblins, Dino Crisis, Darkstalkers, Breath of Fire, Ace Attorney, 194X, and Cyberbots: Full Metal Madness. Assuming we actually get HD remakes/new entries in most of these franchises, we could be looking at a very rich Capcom renaissance.

Offline Align

• Master's Unit
    • View Profile
    • Natural Selection, my FPS of choice
Reply #1 on: December 21, 2012, 08:01:34 PM
Yeah there weren't any easy choices there, I'm kinda interested in straight porting some of their games to digital format but it'd depend hugely on which games (I'd buy a Steam port of Demon's Crest in a heartbeat even if just to show there's some demand), so ticking that box... hm.

Not sure why reboots and new entries were one option either, considering how much more often reboots tend to miss the point compared to new entries.

Spin-offs tend to be surprisingly good from Capcom, so that one feels like a fairly safe bet - but they also tend to sell poorly, I think? So there's practically nil chance of sequels.

Also [parasitic bomb], I forgot to mention Ghost Trick...

Offline Yllisos Zanon

• The Laberynth Librarian
  • Resistance Member
  • Individuality, so F*#K popularity
    • View Profile
Reply #2 on: December 22, 2012, 02:03:16 AM
I am starting to put a foot forward, for a new Power Battles game.  It includes all the Classic Series bosses, converted into one huge battle zone.

A beginning story, before X became the hero.  A playable Sigma, instead of giving him Animal Reploid bosses, give them warrior type names. Like Electric Aztec or Mountain Knight.

Plus, MMX9 a story that ends the Maverick Wars, immediately leading into the Elf Wars.

Legends 3, I would buy in a heartbeat.
--------------------------------------------
A new Demons Crest, or something where Firebrand is the main hero.  Heck Yeah...

A new Breath of Fire, as long as they go back to the #3 style graphics and gameplay, I would get as well.

A new Ghosts and Goblins, if I don't do myself first...  >BD

They're coming to take me away
hee hee hoo hoo haw haw

http://browse.deviantart.com/?q=veasman#

Offline Police Girl

• A total qt
  • Legendary Hero
  • cannons are cool i guess
    • View Profile
Reply #3 on: December 22, 2012, 02:29:05 AM
Well since somebody else in this thread just copy and pasted their response from Sonic Retro, I'll do the same thing.

Well I finally did the survey.

I was pretty all over the place for re-releases of the Classic Series (3, 4, 7 and 8 I would definitely buy, 2 and 9 were "Probably wouldn't buy", everything else was "Might", no MM&B?), but I love X and want the whole series to be re-released again, yes, even X6 and X7. [tornado fang] you, X6 is a masterpiece.

Best Music of the PSX games, lots of innovative features, was it annoying at times? Yes, but lots of games have annoying stuff, like MM2, 2 has lots of annoying things that people look past because of "MUH NOSTALGIA" like those stupid lasers or that [tornado fang]ing boss you had to beat with Crash Bombs. What did X4 have? Boring Music, meh tier levels, and it overall was too easy. Then again to me the X series games are easier than the classic titles.

Legends was obviously "Definitely" Though I thought L1 failed an IP check or something so it couldn't get a re-release.

Battle Network was a series I enjoyed, but with re-releases, 1 was a maybe, 2 and 3 were probably, 4 was a probably not, 5 was maybe, and 6 was probably. Didn't see anything about a rerelease of NETWORK TRANSMISSION though.

I would have loved if they asked about ZX, I want ZX3.
But again, Digital releases, maybe they should do one for physical releases.

Offline Flame

• The obsessive
  • RPM Soldier
    • View Profile
Reply #4 on: December 22, 2012, 04:22:17 AM
[tornado fang] you, X6 is a masterpiece.
+1 X6 is a masterpiece indeed. For a few reasons.

What did X4 have? Boring Music, meh tier levels,
well, there goes that 1...

...When Larry the reploid accountant goes maverick of his own accord, he's certainly formidable during tax season, but he isn't going to provide X the challenge needed to make him grow as a warrior and reach his potential.

Offline Mirby

• RPM's Krillin
  • Legendary Hero
  • KINGDOM HEARTS IS WAAAAAAA
    • View Profile
    • Mirby Studios
Reply #5 on: December 22, 2012, 07:53:22 AM
I asked for more Star Force love.

Also said yes to all Power Stone stuff because Power Stone.

OH [parasitic bomb] IM USING LINK AND I ACCIDENTALLY FINAL SMASHED A CUCCO OH GOD HELP
Just enjoy yourself, don't complain about everything

Offline Police Girl

• A total qt
  • Legendary Hero
    • View Profile
Reply #6 on: December 22, 2012, 01:20:23 PM
+1 X6 is a masterpiece indeed. For a few reasons.
well, there goes that 1...

What? I like X4 fine, but I'm sick of people calling it the best X game like its [tornado fang]ing perfect or something while calling X6 "broken" or "unfinished" like the game was unplayable. It has its own problems, which to me are the music at times (Web Spider, Storm Owl off the top of my head. I'm sure there is some more.) and some of the level design leaves sething to be desired.

Offline Mirby

• RPM's Krillin
  • Legendary Hero
  • KINGDOM HEARTS IS WAAAAAAA
    • View Profile
    • Mirby Studios
Reply #7 on: December 22, 2012, 07:31:28 PM
and some of the level design leaves sething to be desired.
want the arm upgrade? pick which one you want! but you have to get through some tricky spikes if you want to get to the capsules! :D

OH [parasitic bomb] IM USING LINK AND I ACCIDENTALLY FINAL SMASHED A CUCCO OH GOD HELP
Just enjoy yourself, don't complain about everything

Offline Karai

• with RICE
  • B-Class Hunter
  • (not) Missing in Action
    • View Profile
    • My stuff & HI SKORS
Reply #8 on: December 22, 2012, 08:02:49 PM
I'm against ports. Maybe if it's some obscure game for an obscure system, but usually I'm against. The same for HD ports, unless they add a new mode or something. Revamped graphics is not enough. "Extensions" are risky, but they may result in very fun spinoffs. Battle Network also started as an "extension" of a run'n'gun franchise, and look how nice it turned out to be.
I also voted for new titles, and compilations, but:
These compilations should feel like a one big game, not 10 separate entities connected only by the title screen. I mean things like one audiovisual style for all, more cameos, maybe even one common inventory/weaponry/difficulty level (increasing from 1 to 10). THE Mega Man game.
Other than MM I voted for Ace Attorney, and 194X. Good old shooters need some love too!

Offline Treleus

• B-Class Hunter
    • View Profile
Reply #9 on: December 22, 2012, 09:19:08 PM
Full disclosure: I don't think X4's the best X game ever. That would be X1. X4's just the most enjoyable out of the Playstation games.

I still fail to see how X6 is a masterpiece. That's grandiose praise for a game includes such fabulously unfun stages as Blaze Heatnix, Blizzard Wolfang, Commander Yammark, and Blastoise Whatever-the-[tornado fang]. X6 doesn't so much challenge my skill as it does my patience, and that's why, even with all the good things it does with weapon abilities, the plot (that one tell-all cutscene after you've grinded for three hours), and some stages/bosses (Gate being a clever example), it's an arguably unfinished game. I see the potential, but as it is, it's mostly a nightmare.

The music's great, though.

Also, Boobeam Trap has nothing on Nightmare Mother.

Offline Police Girl

• A total qt
  • Legendary Hero
    • View Profile
Reply #10 on: December 22, 2012, 11:03:29 PM
Full disclosure: I don't think X4's the best X game ever. That would be X1. X4's just the most enjoyable out of the Playstation games.

I still fail to see how X6 is a masterpiece. That's grandiose praise for a game includes such fabulously unfun stages as Blaze Heatnix, Blizzard Wolfang, Commander Yammark, and Blastoise Whatever-the-[tornado fang]. X6 doesn't so much challenge my skill as it does my patience, and that's why, even with all the good things it does with weapon abilities, the plot (that one tell-all cutscene after you've grinded for three hours), and some stages/bosses (Gate being a clever example), it's an arguably unfinished game. I see the potential, but as it is, it's mostly a nightmare.

The music's great, though.

Also, Boobeam Trap has nothing on Nightmare Mother.

Except Nightmare Mother doesn't have only one weapon it takes damage from. That makes it 1000 times better by default.

Offline Flame

• The obsessive
  • RPM Soldier
    • View Profile
Reply #11 on: December 23, 2012, 01:32:00 AM
such fabulously unfun stages as
Blaze Heatnix
granted

Blizzard Wolfang
I disagree. I liked it. i particularly enjoyed the fact you couldnt climb on walls, since yknow, they were made of ICE. They also went full out with the slippery thing on it. it was an alright stage.

Commander Yammark
Only with the Night,are blinds. otherwise his stage is actually kind of unremarkable. it DOES have an annoying leap of faith down the spiked slope though.

and Blastoise Whatever-the-[tornado fang].
Eeeeh, granted, but I personally didnt mind it as much as heatnix.

Thing about X6, is it's brutal unforgiving nature means you will never get bored with it's difficulty. X4 I find less and less enjoyment in because Ive played it so much that it just offers me no challenge at all. It became boring to play. X5 just a slight bit tedious.
 X6 however, throws the kitchen sink at you, and therefore it feels that much more satisfying to plow through it all. Heatnix is the epitome of unfinished, ill grant you that- but the rest of the stages are not that bad, and some are interesting. I liked the laser puzzles in Sheldon's stage. I liked The ice gimmick in Wolfang's. I liked the Central Museum and it's somewhat randomized area warps. (and Im one of the few people who actually kind of like the Central Museum music)  I also liked The Final Countdown The Weapon's Center, with Illumina. And I don't mind Shark Player's stage. It's practically Dustman X. On Steroids.

I just like X6. I like the final stages with their spike fetish, I like the bosses, I like the music, (at least we agree on that) Above all though, the story and presentation- It's the only post X4 Game, (that is, with multiple armors) that actually reflects each and every armor, in X's Mugshot. (X8 was just one armor with color variations, and they were too lazy to even properly make THOSE mugshots) Even Zero's Black Armor gets it's own mugshot. Every character has one, and they are all animated, ala X4. (well, slightly better than X4. these blink) Only Sigma does not have his own custom animated mugshot, instead using the X5 stage select Final stage icon for some strange reason.

X6's story was fantastic, and Gate was the best villain in the X series, by far. being incredibly fleshed out and caringly designed for a one off ONE GAME character. he had a backstory, motivations, even character relations with the cast.

Also, X6 is probably the best characterization X has ever gotten.

...When Larry the reploid accountant goes maverick of his own accord, he's certainly formidable during tax season, but he isn't going to provide X the challenge needed to make him grow as a warrior and reach his potential.

Offline Police Girl

• A total qt
  • Legendary Hero
    • View Profile
Reply #12 on: December 23, 2012, 01:41:24 AM
Quote from: Flame

That's because Zero is optional. Had he not been optional, it would've been like X4 and X5, with Zero getting the most storyline.

Offline Treleus

• B-Class Hunter
    • View Profile
Reply #13 on: December 25, 2012, 09:14:30 PM
I disagree. I liked it. i particularly enjoyed the fact you couldnt climb on walls, since yknow, they were made of ICE. They also went full out with the slippery thing on it. it was an alright stage.

As far as ice stages go, there have been better. Wolfang's unremarkable when it's not forcing you to wait for ice blocks to barrel past you.

Only with the Night,are blinds. otherwise his stage is actually kind of unremarkable. it DOES have an annoying leap of faith down the spiked slope though.

Which follows a great stand-around segment on the snail-bots, and precedes an admittedly challenging gauntlet of Mantis bots guarding the boss room.

Eeeeh, granted, but I personally didnt mind it as much as heatnix.

They're both bad, but Heatnix's is actually less frustrating less of the time. It doesn't have any of those irritating rocket arm guys or a few miles of bottomless water.

Thing about X6, is it's brutal unforgiving nature means you will never get bored with it's difficulty. X4 I find less and less enjoyment in because Ive played it so much that it just offers me no challenge at all. It became boring to play. X5 just a slight bit tedious.
 X6 however, throws the kitchen sink at you, and therefore it feels that much more satisfying to plow through it all. Heatnix is the epitome of unfinished, ill grant you that- but the rest of the stages are not that bad, and some are interesting. I liked the laser puzzles in Sheldon's stage. I liked The ice gimmick in Wolfang's. I liked the Central Museum and it's somewhat randomized area warps. (and Im one of the few people who actually kind of like the Central Museum music)  I also liked The Final Countdown The Weapon's Center, with Illumina. And I don't mind Shark Player's stage. It's practically Dustman X. On Steroids.

The thing about X6 and X5 is they both share the same feeling of tedium, except the latter mixes it with an unprecedented amount of difficulty. Trying to survive in stages like Central Museum or the Weapon Center is addicting, but the fact that the rest of the stages are tedious undercuts the thrill for me.

I just like X6. I like the final stages with their spike fetish, I like the bosses, I like the music, (at least we agree on that) Above all though, the story and presentation- It's the only post X4 Game, (that is, with multiple armors) that actually reflects each and every armor, in X's Mugshot. (X8 was just one armor with color variations, and they were too lazy to even properly make THOSE mugshots) Even Zero's Black Armor gets it's own mugshot. Every character has one, and they are all animated, ala X4. (well, slightly better than X4. these blink) Only Sigma does not have his own custom animated mugshot, instead using the X5 stage select Final stage icon for some strange reason.

X5's the only competition when it comes to post-X4 games, and they're both virtually the same. An animated mugshot isn't much in the way of presentation, although it is nice. X6's bosses are actually not that bad.

X6's story was fantastic, and Gate was the best villain in the X series, by far. being incredibly fleshed out and caringly designed for a one off ONE GAME character. he had a backstory, motivations, even character relations with the cast.

Yeah, I agree with most of that. Gate basically fell prey to the same thing Sigma did, but he didn't just become another Sigma, and the backstory was nice. X had more of a character to show off in this game than in previous games, including X4.

Offline Hypershell

• needs DRAGONITE POWER!
  • Legendary Hero
  • Steel in Zee Head
    • View Profile
    • Get equipped with Hyper's DA
Reply #14 on: December 26, 2012, 05:56:33 AM
*sighs*  Not in a wall of text mood tonight, and Flame and Hawaii seem to have this one well in hand.

Here we go, the short short version:

Is X6 awesome?  Hell yes.

Digital game I want from Capcom?  This:

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tWNyhicSz-I[/youtube]

Good, you're married, kiss her.

Also on DeviantArt, Rumble, DLive.tv, and the Fediverse (@freespeechextremist.com and @bae.st)

Offline Treleus

• B-Class Hunter
    • View Profile
Reply #15 on: December 26, 2012, 09:38:20 PM
Except Nightmare Mother doesn't have only one weapon it takes damage from. That makes it 1000 times better by default.

Nah, I disagree. Boobeam's at once more thrilling and rewarding to defeat. Plus it takes less than a third of the time it takes to defeat Nightmare Mother.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ARAp-SAq4gY[/youtube]

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I65mRaqFTe4[/youtube]

Even if the weak points are hard to get to, and I've got limited ammo, I'd rather do critical damage with each shot rather than chip away at a huge life bar. Extra points for requiring you to use the Transport Items to maneuver around the barriers.

Offline Police Girl

• A total qt
  • Legendary Hero
    • View Profile
Reply #16 on: December 26, 2012, 10:39:37 PM
Nah, I disagree. Boobeam's at once more thrilling and rewarding to defeat. Plus it takes less than a third of the time it takes to defeat Nightmare Mother.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ARAp-SAq4gY[/youtube]

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I65mRaqFTe4[/youtube]

Even if the weak points are hard to get to, and I've got limited ammo, I'd rather do critical damage with each shot rather than chip away at a huge life bar. Extra points for requiring you to use the Transport Items to maneuver around the barriers.

Well, that's Xtreme mode. The worst I play on is normal so that's probably why I don't care.

Offline Flame

• The obsessive
  • RPM Soldier
    • View Profile
Reply #17 on: December 26, 2012, 11:47:22 PM
Having only one weapon you can defeat it with, with limited ammo, is bad game design. Because if you make a mistake, or go in without any ammo or low on it, you are [tornado fang]'d.

Offline Fxeni

• Master's Unit
  • Shall we?
    • View Profile
Reply #18 on: December 26, 2012, 11:58:59 PM
Having only one weapon you can defeat it with, with limited ammo, is bad game design. Because if you make a mistake, or go in without any ammo or low on it, you are [tornado fang]'d.
Agreed. That being said, having to use optional upgrades to be able to complete a level is also bad game design.

Offline Flame

• The obsessive
  • RPM Soldier
    • View Profile
Reply #19 on: December 27, 2012, 02:03:52 AM
Fair enough, but the game already sets the standard by starting the game with an armor, with an air dash. It tells you the game's default X has Falcon Armor. That means if you want to go through Gate's stages with unarmored X, that's not exactly the Game's problem, it's you trying to be a tough guy. There is no way around the Falcon Armor, and by proxy, the abilities it grants, and that's from the very start of the game. Similarly with the saber, it starts you with it, meaning you will need it as your sub weapon as X, and in the intro stage alone, there are enemies and blocks which can only be destroyed with the saber.

Also, you can still cross it unarmored, by alternating between the Fire Saber and the Ground Dash, with the pause menu.

X5 by contrast, allows you to lose the armor if you start with Zero, meaning the game considers the Armor to not be an absolute necessity, just an edge, via the air dash, Plasma Shot, and the ability to charge weapons. (as well as reduced recoil and damage.) It instead rewards you, if you forgo X in the intro stage,  with Zero's Z-buster, (the balance of said reward is debatable, but that's another story) where if you start with X, you gain the armor and lose the Z-Buster.

That one boss in MM2 however, has no precedent. There is no indication of such a gameplay gimmick existing, and it takes you completely by surprise, and CAN get you completely unprepared. The game does nothing to tell you elsewhere that there might be a boss that can only be defeated by a full ammo bar in one weapon.

(Although I suppose the same could be said about High Max, with the difference that he himself is completely optional)

Offline Fxeni

• Master's Unit
  • Shall we?
    • View Profile
Reply #20 on: December 27, 2012, 02:51:09 AM
That means if you want to go through Gate's stages with unarmored X, that's not exactly the Game's problem, it's you trying to be a tough guy.
It is the game's problem. If you go in there first without the armour not knowing what's coming, you can't get through it. You have to kill yourself completely to restart with the proper optional parts / armour. Face it, it's bad game design. It should still be possible to get through with the bare minimum no matter what, precedent set or not. I seem to recall having a similar problem elsewhere in the game as well, although I cannot recall where exactly it was (haven't played X6 in a while).

Do notice I'm not defending Buebeam. I agree that's bad as well.

Offline VixyNyan

• Kind & Generous Fluffy Pillow~
  • RPM Ecchi Princess
  • ♪ Vixylicious Nya Nya~ ♪
    • View Profile
    • Rockman Perfect Memories
Reply #21 on: December 27, 2012, 03:42:23 AM

Nintendo 3DS Friend Code: 3480-2506-4200
[DeviantArt|Twitch.tv|Youtube|Fan Work|WiiVC|Character File]
Rock10: Ranking. Rock9: AC, EA, SS, Challenge, Ranking.
(c) Sky Child~                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                         

Offline Flame

• The obsessive
  • RPM Soldier
    • View Profile
Reply #22 on: December 27, 2012, 05:35:52 AM
It is the game's problem. If you go in there first without the armour not knowing what's coming, you can't get through it. You have to kill yourself completely to restart with the proper optional parts / armour. Face it, it's bad game design. It should still be possible to get through with the bare minimum no matter what, precedent set or not. I seem to recall having a similar problem elsewhere in the game as well, although I cannot recall where exactly it was (haven't played X6 in a while).

Do notice I'm not defending Buebeam. I agree that's bad as well.
It may not be the best design, but again, The game tells you you will need an air dash for this game. If you want to throw what the game considers default out the window, that's just you making it more challenging for yourself. It's like going to a shooting range and being given a gun upon entry, told you will need a gun, and deciding instead to put the gun away and use just your fists to shoot the target.

Offline Protoman Blues

• Green Lantern of Sector 1337
  • RPM Knight
  • Searching for Wanda
    • View Profile
Reply #23 on: December 27, 2012, 05:58:09 AM
Then the game shouldn't give you the option to do so. Fxeni's right on the button. Hell, at least with the MM2 thing, even if you don't have the weapon energy or can't figure out the pattern, you only have to kill yourself once then refill the weapon energy with the Sexy Robo Leg Joes. You don't have to completely restart the level.

Offline Flame

• The obsessive
  • RPM Soldier
    • View Profile
Reply #24 on: December 27, 2012, 08:29:29 AM
You still have to kill yourself. And what if I have no lives left after the previous Wily stages?

You can still be caught completely unprepared for it since it requires your entire weapon bar. It's just as guilty. it's only slightly less so because X6 just has more instances of that kind of thing. (And only by 1, Gate's Jump of faith and High Max pre- Turtloid's weapon if I'm remembering my X6 right.)

And again, it's perfectly possible to cross that section of gate's lab unarmored, without parts. You DO require two specific special weapons, but honestly, you are just stupid if you want to go into the final stages early without having beaten all the bosses.

and Unarmored X available because it can't just DENY you unarmored X. It's there if you want to use it. He's completely optional. That doesn't mean he's recommended or encouraged.