Final Fantasy XIV

Nekomata · 12757

Aresian

Reply #75 on: June 11, 2010, 04:14:55 AM
I meant the gameplay. Elder Scrolls has pretty much a first-person action-based gameplay. I seriously doubt Square-Enix would follow that. i am not doubting any of the game's epicness or quality, simply its genre.

I've heard rumors... but I personally want to wait till I see before I get anyone else stoked about it.

Incidently, you CAN play Oblivion in 3rd Person... but now I'm just being an ass.  8D

Offline Bueno Excelente

• Diddlyboodlyzoodly
  • Master's Unit
    • View Profile
Reply #76 on: June 11, 2010, 05:04:40 AM
I've heard rumors... but I personally want to wait till I see before I get anyone else stoked about it.

Incidently, you CAN play Oblivion in 3rd Person... but now I'm just being an ass.  8D
You can also play the near-entirety of MGS4 in first person. 8D

Now seriously, Final Fantasy is that ONE franchise I don't see descending from the depths of its turn-based system, much less into the most western system one can imagine.

Aresian

Reply #77 on: June 11, 2010, 06:14:53 AM
You can also play the near-entirety of MGS4 in first person. 8D

Now seriously, Final Fantasy is that ONE franchise I don't see descending from the depths of its turn-based system, much less into the most western system one can imagine.

WELL, Crystal Chronicles plays in full action RPG. Soooo... 8D

Seriously though, it's a matter of time, Flash. :3

And Crystal Defenders is another departure of the Turn-based RPG style of Final Fantasy... I think Square is stretching their legs. Chocobo Dungeon and all that... FF games, that mix it up. Maybe they'll be invading ur WRPGs.

Offline Bueno Excelente

• Diddlyboodlyzoodly
  • Master's Unit
    • View Profile
Reply #78 on: June 11, 2010, 06:23:11 AM
WELL, Crystal Chronicles plays in full action RPG. Soooo... 8D

Seriously though, it's a matter of time, Flash. :3

And Crystal Defenders is another departure of the Turn-based RPG style of Final Fantasy... I think Square is stretching their legs. Chocobo Dungeon and all that... FF games, that mix it up. Maybe they'll be invading ur WRPGs.
Don't get me wrong. I'm the WRPG fanboy around here, who dispises pretty much every single JRPG in the face of the earth, I would WELCOME this change.

...I... just don't think they'd have the guts, that's all. And CC might play as a full action RPG, but using action and physics mechanics the way they're used in Oblivion or Fallout 3? Stats are pretty much the only thing those games have in common with JRPGs.

Offline Mirby

• RPM's Krillin
  • Legendary Hero
  • KINGDOM HEARTS IS WAAAAAAA
    • View Profile
    • Mirby Studios
Reply #79 on: June 11, 2010, 06:35:52 AM
That, and the last three letters of their abbreviation. :P

OH [parasitic bomb] IM USING LINK AND I ACCIDENTALLY FINAL SMASHED A CUCCO OH GOD HELP
Just enjoy yourself, don't complain about everything

Offline Bueno Excelente

• Diddlyboodlyzoodly
  • Master's Unit
    • View Profile
Reply #80 on: June 11, 2010, 06:38:41 AM
That, and the last three letters of their abbreviation. :P
Playing roles =/= Watching a movie and grinding once in awhile. They're called RPGs because they share stuff like combat and experience points systems similar to some classic pen and paper WRPGs. If FF games are role-playing, you can "play a role" in any game. (MMOs are a different business since you create your own character)

Offline Mirby

• RPM's Krillin
  • Legendary Hero
    • View Profile
    • Mirby Studios
Reply #81 on: June 11, 2010, 06:42:30 AM
I never said anything about gameplay wise. All I meant was wRPG and jRPG. See? Last three letters of the abbreviation.

OH [parasitic bomb] IM USING LINK AND I ACCIDENTALLY FINAL SMASHED A CUCCO OH GOD HELP

Offline Bueno Excelente

• Diddlyboodlyzoodly
  • Master's Unit
    • View Profile
Reply #82 on: June 11, 2010, 06:46:16 AM
I never said anything about gameplay wise. All I meant was wRPG and jRPG. See? Last three letters of the abbreviation.
I got it. I replied to it by saying that it doesn't make much sense that that they are even called RPGs in the first place when they don't even share the "role-playing" part.

Offline Mirby

• RPM's Krillin
  • Legendary Hero
    • View Profile
    • Mirby Studios
Reply #83 on: June 11, 2010, 06:49:52 AM
Technicall every video game has role-playing. In Mario, you play the role of Mario, not you. In Star Fox, you play the role of Fox (or whoever else depending), not you. In a sports game, you play the role of player, not you (unless it's a custom character). It's a pretty vague term on its own, as it can pretty much apply to any video game ever.

And the "role-playing" term is derived from the fact that it is the leveling systems and such that make them role-playing games; not the fact that you play the role of a character as I outlined above. That's how it is today, at least.

Offline Bueno Excelente

• Diddlyboodlyzoodly
  • Master's Unit
    • View Profile
Reply #84 on: June 11, 2010, 12:18:06 PM
Technicall every video game has role-playing. In Mario, you play the role of Mario, not you. In Star Fox, you play the role of Fox (or whoever else depending), not you. In a sports game, you play the role of player, not you (unless it's a custom character). It's a pretty vague term on its own, as it can pretty much apply to any video game ever.

And the "role-playing" term is derived from the fact that it is the leveling systems and such that make them role-playing games; not the fact that you play the role of a character as I outlined above. That's how it is today, at least.
Why are you repeating exactly what I said?

Playing roles =/= Watching a movie and grinding once in awhile. They're called RPGs because they share stuff like combat and experience points systems similar to some classic pen and paper WRPGs. If FF games are role-playing, you can "play a role" in any game. (MMOs are a different business since you create your own character)

Back to topic. Anyone who's mother's cousin's grandma has beta access can tell me how the sidequests are?