PETA's Pokémon: Black & Blue

Joseph Collins · 15376

Offline Ladd Spencer

• Neo Arcadian
  • Blow up! We want to blow up this area.
    • View Profile
Reply #25 on: October 10, 2012, 08:44:29 PM
You are very easily offended. You should get offended at how Pocket Dudes promotes animal cruelty.

FEELS  ;^;Which has the massive scrotums?

Offline Joseph Collins

• Neo Arcadian
    • View Profile
Reply #26 on: October 10, 2012, 08:47:23 PM
Lady and gentleman, please!  We're not here to discuss raccoon bullocks.  We're here to discuss PETA's generally shameful approach to pop culture!  :D

Despite the messages their games attempt to convey, I think PETA's games are pretty fun to play.  A lot of high quality work goes into these games, for whatever reason!  It's pretty wild that so much love could go into so much hate.  XD

Offline Pyro

• Wielder of the Chaos Force
  • Neo Arcadian
  • Boo yeah!
    • View Profile
Reply #27 on: October 11, 2012, 05:50:02 AM
They're not defending fictional characters, but using it to illustrate a point of what the game might imply to young children. That is; The capture, collection, and fighting of animals with an apathetic attitude toward the total dominance and expectation of servitude placed on the captured animals.

It is a valid point, to some degree. I've always thought it was a shaky concept shrugged off by the cute and playful demeanor. Obviously Pokemon isn't reality, and children can determine for the most part reality from fiction if they have anywhere near a decent upbringing, however the sentiment holds true even in small regards.

I was 11 when the first Pokemon was released. I loved the game to death, and rightly so as a well designed communal game me and all of my friends would play. Pokemon certainly earns it's reputation as a classic and a cultural phenomenon. Now, while perhaps mild, it did influence my behavior a little. I did at one time capture and keep a bee as a pet like a 'pokemon'. The action was taken as a direct result of deciding that was the closest thing I'll get to having a pokemon in reality. It never went above an insect, certainly not like I was trapping mammals in the wild, or fighting dogs, but the sentiment was there never the less. I captured this insect against it's will, and held it captive in a container hoping to emulate what I saw in the game. The capture likely lead to it's death, and surely stripped it of it's freedom. It is exactly the point the PETA game is trying to make.

And that was a way more serious post than I thought it was going to be...
And given how PETA actively kills animals, they have no moral authority whatsoever.

Come and read some Thoughts of a Platypus

Offline OBJECTION MAN

• Neo Arcadian
    • View Profile
Reply #28 on: October 11, 2012, 08:52:41 PM
Just because someone, or a group of people, are complete and total hypocrites does not invalidate a point they happen to vocalize.

Points are invalidated by being actually invalid.

TWITCH   ➧ TWITTER   ➧ DISCORD   ➧ MY GAMES

Knockout Mondays
Experimental day: Fighting game engine project Live Gamedev (8PM - 10 PM EST)

WIP Wednesdays
Hamster Drop Gold Edition Live Gamedev (8PM - 10 PM EST)

Weekend Game Hangout
Marc, Amber, & Friends (Saturday Evening EST)

Offline Mirby

• RPM's Krillin
  • Legendary Hero
  • KINGDOM HEARTS IS WAAAAAAA
    • View Profile
    • Mirby Studios
Reply #29 on: October 11, 2012, 09:30:53 PM
Invalid, eh?

How about the fact that this game only focuses on the battle aspect of the games and completely neglects the fact that the games teach respect for creatures of all sizes, and their other claims to what the games teach are completely false and are completely, well, invalid.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CAabuy-x3wg[/youtube]

also what this guy says

OH [parasitic bomb] IM USING LINK AND I ACCIDENTALLY FINAL SMASHED A CUCCO OH GOD HELP
Just enjoy yourself, don't complain about everything

Offline Joseph Collins

• Neo Arcadian
    • View Profile
Reply #30 on: October 11, 2012, 10:50:43 PM
Well, let's be honest here.

Do you play Pocket Monsters to walk around and talk to random people all day, hear stories, and get nothing productive done?
Or do you play Pocket Monsters to lay the smack-down on and pwn some n00bs with your getting-stronger-by-the-battle monsters?

Archer

Reply #31 on: October 11, 2012, 10:54:10 PM
i don't play pocket monsters at all

i play the english versions you dope

Offline Joseph Collins

• Neo Arcadian
    • View Profile
Reply #32 on: October 12, 2012, 03:00:42 AM
Really, Assemu?  You're going to quibble localizations?

It's the same.  [tornado fang]ing.  Game.  No matter what you call it.

Offline Rin

• The Hate Machine
  • Master's Unit
  • WORD
    • View Profile
Reply #33 on: October 12, 2012, 03:08:44 AM
Really, Assemu?  You're going to quibble localizations?

It's the same.  [tornado fang]ing.  Game.  No matter what you call it.
Man.

MAAAAN.

You SO fell for it.

Offline Ladd Spencer

• Neo Arcadian
    • View Profile
Reply #34 on: October 12, 2012, 04:53:34 AM
That black guy in that YouTube video pronounces Pokemon like my stupid [tornado fang]ing friend does: Pokeymon. What the [tornado fang]. This friend of mine, he's obsessed with Pocket Dudes, but he can't even say the name. It's like if I said Meja Men or some [parasitic bomb].

Offline Pyro

• Wielder of the Chaos Force
  • Neo Arcadian
  • Boo yeah!
    • View Profile
Reply #35 on: October 12, 2012, 07:09:18 AM
Just because someone, or a group of people, are complete and total hypocrites does not invalidate a point they happen to vocalize.

No, it just undermines the credibility of said point.

PETA's argument is base on the premise that all people, especially children, are idiots. Pokemon as been around for over fifteen years and there has not been a noticeable spike in dog/cockfighting as far as I know and that activity is illegal in many countries anyway. Some people are just immoral [dark hold] anyway. As for insects, who cares? I seriously doubt they even have a concept of freedom and nature is a cruel mistress anyway. We humans tend project our morals on creatures that are amoral; we call it, "anthropomorphism."

Maybe PETA should focus on convincing that praying mantis not to eat that poor grasshopper if insects are truly moral agents.

Come and read some Thoughts of a Platypus

Offline OBJECTION MAN

• Neo Arcadian
    • View Profile
Reply #36 on: October 12, 2012, 05:13:41 PM
I never said I fully endorse their points or support them.

I'm saying people on a whole tend to confuse the legitimacy of what people say, based on the person(s) saying it, and not the actual message itself.

As far as the PETA thing itself; they have a mild point, in where it may foster the idea, but any upstanding human begin would surely see through it quickly. Dark people will do dark things if Pokemon exists or not. In fact, animal abusers would probably never play Pokemon cause its 'about stupid cute animals that I don't like'.

I captured a bee, but I thought, the bee must hate that. I'd hate being in a completely bare room all day. It'd be boring. So I never held an animal in confinement after that. This is the reason I don't buy fish as pets.

TWITCH   ➧ TWITTER   ➧ DISCORD   ➧ MY GAMES

Knockout Mondays
Experimental day: Fighting game engine project Live Gamedev (8PM - 10 PM EST)

WIP Wednesdays
Hamster Drop Gold Edition Live Gamedev (8PM - 10 PM EST)

Weekend Game Hangout
Marc, Amber, & Friends (Saturday Evening EST)

Offline Ladd Spencer

• Neo Arcadian
    • View Profile
Reply #37 on: October 13, 2012, 03:07:25 AM
This is the reason I don't buy fish as pets.
Aww but you can buy them Bikini Bottom landmarks for your fish tank at WalMart

Offline Quickman

• Crystal Clod and
  • RPM Sorcerer
  • Classy clod
    • View Profile
    • B. Roth Arts
Reply #38 on: October 22, 2012, 04:47:20 AM
I refuse to keep a betta in one of those tiny little bowls.  I make sure that the betta has at least a two-gallon tank with a good filter and air-stone, and the company of an algae-eater and at least two neon tetras.  I find that the betta is more active and overall appears happier.  He is non-aggressive, rarely displays his fins (displaying is aggression and stress), and coexists with the other fish in the tank.  Every now and then, they may chase each other, but that's about it.  They feed together, swim together, and the betta lives a longer and happier life.  I've hand-fed bettas before.  They are peaceful and even social fish, as long as that betta is the only betta in the tank.

As for insects... They need more respect.  Bugs are peoples too!

And as for PETA...  I showed my brother the Pokémon game.  He played it and commented that the message seemed to be lost in the game.  It was muddled by gameplay and graphics, and really corny dialogue.  Then, he played Super Tofu Boy and beat that game and said that it makes him want to be a carnivore, so PETA's message backfired.

Offline Ladd Spencer

• Neo Arcadian
    • View Profile
Reply #39 on: October 22, 2012, 07:21:22 AM
Animals have the right to be delicious and in my belly.