Have you ever recommended anything Mega Man to anyone?

dragontamer272 · 5946

Offline dragontamer272

• Resistance Member
    • View Profile
    • Deviantart
on: September 17, 2012, 04:36:21 AM
I like spreading out the fandom of Mega Man, getting newbies into the franchise. But 75%-80% of the time they're already fans, while other times at 20%-25% they say IT SUCKS.

But all of that is different today for I  just recently got my friend Jessie in Belgium into the series. I showed her a video of the Mega Man Maverick Hunter X OVA "The Day of Sigma", and she was just amazed.  :o Then she was like, "Man... I really like this! Awesome!",  :) then started asking me questions and I answered them. Looks like the Mega Man community/fandom has got a new fan thanks to me.

Just like have today... Have any of you here ever recommend anything that's Mega Man to anyone?

Visit my art gallery at deviantart today. http://dragontamer272.deviantart.com/

Yes, I am now one of those so-called "Bronies".

Offline Sakura Leic

• PB's Egoprentice and Weapon's Shack Owner
  • RPM Soldier
  • Don't make me mess you up
    • View Profile
Reply #1 on: September 17, 2012, 05:18:31 AM
I did once in high school and he borrowed my Megaman ZX, though I don't think he got into it.  I also let one of my other friends friends borrow that copy of ZX but he was busy playing Starforce 3 at the time but luckily they didn't lose it or anything.

Current playthrough: Chrono Trigger and God Eater Ressurection

Offline Karasai♪

• Absolutely Fabulous.
  • SA-Class Hunter
    • View Profile
Reply #2 on: September 17, 2012, 05:20:09 AM
Nope because my friends are fuckers and like games like Call of Duty and all that crap

Offline Treleus

• B-Class Hunter
    • View Profile
Reply #3 on: September 17, 2012, 05:38:35 AM
Aside from Legends, not really. If I recommend anything, it'd be the first two X games (although I still hold X3 near and dear to my heart) and X4. The classic series kinda goes without saying. The Zero series is great, but far from my favorite for reasons of story, audio quality, and art style. If you're fine with all three, then you're in for a really enjoyable spinoff you can gnosh on during road trips or on your Game Boy Player. I can't recommend ZX much, since it's mostly a tired bastardization of the Zero series. Battle Network 1 was actually a pretty fun romp, but I just didn't get into it that much and stopped there. I don't even have the cartridge anymore.

Most people already know and have played Mega Man, but his most recent games leave too much to be desired. They're just not recommendable when it comes to enjoyment. X7 had solid potential, but controls like a stubborn cow, sound worse than one, and is the runner-up for most misleading title/box art ever. X5 has issues, but you can get something out of it before forgetting about it; I'm actually a little nostalgic for it despite it being a bad X game. X6 I can only recommend to hardcore MMX players who enjoy punishment. X8, while decent, isn't terribly remarkable to me. The visuals come off bland, the gameplay is okay, and the story's too insubstantial and recycled to matter, but the music is pretty damn good. Command Mission is an interesting title, but only recommendable to X fans.

As for the aforementioned Legends, I consider it an underrated gem and a fresh new take on Mega Man, but even it leaves some things to be desired. It makes a little too much use of empty, meaningless space and empty ambience to go along with it, but this only applies above ground. The real meat of the game is underground: fighting Reaverbots, finding hidden artifacts and parts/zenny for weapons and armor, and overall completing the objectives of the game. The town's nice and having an outside to explore is likewise nice, but most of it comes off as filler. I find this part of the game really hard to criticize, since it's part of what gives Legends a lot of it's heart and charm, but for the sake of gameplay, it needs some refinement and either additional details or trimming of space. If the game could've made me care more about the townspeople and made them seem less like almost-stationary automatons, that would already help give the game more charm and give the player another means of reward feedback for his efforts and exploits. Legends had charm, heart, and good gameplay, but it needed more character and smoother controls. It needs a stronger taste to it. It won't do well to just be pleasant, not when it's Mega Man. It's because of these deficits that, while still a beloved Mega Man game, Legends has not aged too well to most people. I can pick it up and play anytime, but I can't say the same for everyone.

Considering all this, recommending Mega Man is only hard because there's not much to recommend that hasn't already been played to death. We just haven't been getting a steady stream of great games, and it's hard for Capcom to do because there are now six seven mutually exclusive subfandoms to cater to.

Offline Gaia

• RPM's only Card Collector.
  • Legendary Hero
  • Yep.
    • View Profile
    • YT Profile Page
Reply #4 on: September 17, 2012, 05:49:26 AM
So I was playing the first Mega Man Battle Network at Middle School, I randomly blurted out "gonna get that w-w-w bee-hind" to myself, and caught the attention to a friend behind me causing to get a reaction from him going "who's the w-w-w?". I don't know where he is now but I think I may or may not have gotten him interested in the series due to curiosity as he didn't look like the gamer type.

Nope because my friends are fuckers and like games like Call of Duty and all that crap

Huh, must've been the "classy" ones then, I had a similar case with the xbox/pc gaming crowd too.

Workshop/DA/YT/Photobucket なにかんがえてるの!?
So its about ass now huh? EVEN THE ASS HAS 'EXCEEDED'!

One mention of LEGENDS and everyone goes batshit.  :\

Yep, every time when someone mentions that game people get energized for an apparent reason whatsoever. It's like this everywhere else, trust me.

It got really messy to find my sprite and comic topic, so it's in my sig.

Archer

Reply #5 on: September 17, 2012, 06:20:09 AM
no, there's no one out there i hate enough

Offline Sakura Leic

• PB's Egoprentice and Weapon's Shack Owner
  • RPM Soldier
  • Don't make me mess you up
    • View Profile
Reply #6 on: September 17, 2012, 06:22:33 AM
Are they like the stereotypical CoD fans or are they actually different?

Current playthrough: Chrono Trigger and God Eater Ressurection

Offline Mirby

• RPM's Krillin
  • Legendary Hero
  • KINGDOM HEARTS IS WAAAAAAA
    • View Profile
    • Mirby Studios
Reply #7 on: September 17, 2012, 06:58:33 AM
yes

i consistently recommend MMX to people. the first game.

OH [parasitic bomb] IM USING LINK AND I ACCIDENTALLY FINAL SMASHED A CUCCO OH GOD HELP
Just enjoy yourself, don't complain about everything

Offline Reaperoid

• Redundant
  • Master's Unit
  • d-don't fear the reaper
    • View Profile
Reply #8 on: September 17, 2012, 09:36:12 AM
No, I can't say I've done this before.
No-one I've met (ever) seems to really be interested in it, either.

I guess all I can really say is it isn't exactly what I'd expect out of a $4.4M game

It doesn't even have mouth animations

Offline PressStart

• Cyberelf
    • View Profile
    • Mega Man for Smash Bros
Reply #9 on: September 17, 2012, 10:46:15 AM
Any chance I get, which isn't nearly enough.

I like the OP's story about showing the Maverick Hunter X's OVA... I feel like that's the best way to spread the Mega Man love. The opening to the "Appearance in Japan" OVA just has so much of what I like about Mega Man crammed into less than 2 minutes of amazing footage. I feel like you can show that to someone, and depending on whether or not they liked what they saw, you can judge if they would enjoy the series enough to recommend it more.

Offline Zan

• Master's Unit
  • Unpleasable Unhelpful Utopian Totalitarian
    • View Profile
Reply #10 on: September 17, 2012, 03:34:20 PM
I can't recommend ZX much, since it's mostly a tired bastardization of the Zero series.

It's a direct sequel...

Offline Treleus

• B-Class Hunter
    • View Profile
Reply #11 on: September 17, 2012, 05:01:29 PM
Zero's a direct sequel to the X series, and it's much different. ZX is too similar to Zero.

Offline Align

• Master's Unit
    • View Profile
    • Natural Selection, my FPS of choice
Reply #12 on: September 17, 2012, 07:37:44 PM
I think I recommended MMXtreme 2 on 4chan once.

Offline Zan

• Master's Unit
  • Unpleasable Unhelpful Utopian Totalitarian
    • View Profile
Reply #13 on: September 17, 2012, 08:07:31 PM
Insert Quote
Zero's a direct sequel to the X series, and it's much different. ZX is too similar to Zero.

ZX is effectively ZERO5, same development team, natural progression of the story and so forth. You should not treat them as separate entities.

Offline Gaia

• RPM's only Card Collector.
  • Legendary Hero
  • Yep.
    • View Profile
    • YT Profile Page
Reply #14 on: September 17, 2012, 09:09:57 PM
ZX is effectively ZERO5, same development team, natural progression of the story and so forth. You should not treat them as separate entities.

I think of it mostly as a "Another Story", as it's mostly treated as such (story-wise, it takes place years after Zero 4 and not much is mentioned until ZXA).

Workshop/DA/YT/Photobucket なにかんがえてるの!?
So its about ass now huh? EVEN THE ASS HAS 'EXCEEDED'!

One mention of LEGENDS and everyone goes batshit.  :\

Yep, every time when someone mentions that game people get energized for an apparent reason whatsoever. It's like this everywhere else, trust me.

It got really messy to find my sprite and comic topic, so it's in my sig.

Offline Treleus

• B-Class Hunter
    • View Profile
Reply #15 on: September 17, 2012, 10:20:19 PM
So can I just call ZX and ZXA Zero 5 and 6? It won't really make me like them anymore, but I can do that.

Offline Karasai♪

• Absolutely Fabulous.
  • SA-Class Hunter
    • View Profile
Reply #16 on: September 17, 2012, 10:42:58 PM
Are they like the stereotypical CoD fans or are they actually different?

stereotypical

Offline megaman24681012

• Toa of Ice
  • B-Class Hunter
  • Shoulda chose a better name.
    • View Profile
Reply #17 on: September 17, 2012, 10:53:33 PM
no, there's no one out there i hate enough

I don't know how I feel about this.

On Topic: I'd say no. Mega Man games are rather hard to come by, at least the more recent ones.

That and I'm too busy hoarding the games for myself. Just got Mega Man X8 for PS2!

Kopaka: "That leaves you and I, Tahu Nuva."
Tahu: "No. That leaves only me."

Offline Hypershell

• needs DRAGONITE POWER!
  • Legendary Hero
  • Steel in Zee Head
    • View Profile
    • Get equipped with Hyper's DA
Reply #18 on: September 18, 2012, 02:19:48 AM
Zero's a direct sequel to the X series, and it's much different.
If by "different" you mean "watered down".  Zero 1's presentation is rather rough and it doesn't offer a whole heck of a lot to the gameplay table that the X series didn't do better.  The sequels got better as they went along, but to this day I consider Xtreme2 the best handheld Mega Man game, ever (engrish and all).

Which of course means I recommend it to anyone looking for any halfway decent GBC game.

If anything, I think ZX managed to kick a lot of the stagnation that had set in during Zero 4.  Unfortunately, it too, had more than a few rough spots in presentation (mission system is clunky, localization was [acid burst] poor, no New Game Plus to abuse Model OX, and there is not a single weapon energy restore point in the entire game).

Also on DeviantArt, Rumble, DLive.tv, and the Fediverse (@freespeechextremist.com and @bae.st)

Offline Treleus

• B-Class Hunter
    • View Profile
Reply #19 on: September 18, 2012, 04:15:05 AM
I like how in Z4 they just gave up with the promising bundle of melee weapons the series had adopted in favor of the catch-all Z Knuckle gimmick. How many just ignored it most of the time and stuck with the saber and buster? *Raises both hands*

Zero 1 lacked polish and introduced a fun(?) deeper level of RPG gameplay, where you'd spend time leveling-up 5 different weapons and attaching elements to them like you're playing with materia, but it at least changed the 8-bosses-that-give-you-weapons. It also introduced an open world for the player to wander around in, but with the already Mega Man-esque Mission system layered over everything to guide the game flow, it ended up being a redundant feature and resulted in a lost opportunity to be more Metroid-like instead. The missions made sense, but between the lame drop-down level select menu and the insta-teleport after your choice, I'm not getting as much differentiation from previous games as I would've expected from such a different-looking, different-sounding game. The novelty of the stage select that Mega Man introduced to gaming has long since worn itself out when it comes to new Mega Man games.

An alternative was explored with Zero 5 and 6, where you weren't teleported to your Mission and had to walk it all the way there. The problem with these games, though, is that wandering to your object most of the time is boring as [tornado fang], and even worse when you have to backtrack. Paying for teleport points in Z6 seems more like an snarky bandaid for the issue rather than a welcome mechanic, and the direction of the game flow in Z5 is so awful. Nothing like a good Metroid game, which does a good job of guiding the player through a large landscape without them feeling like they're lost or getting them frustrated. I call Z5 the Simon's Quest of Mega Man games.

Offline Ladd Spencer

• Neo Arcadian
  • Blow up! We want to blow up this area.
    • View Profile
Reply #20 on: September 24, 2012, 07:39:28 PM
Most of the time, when I mention Mega Man to anyone, even after we've begun discussing Marios and Sonics, they have no clue who he is.

FEELS  ;^;Which has the massive scrotums?