Joseph's Hullabaloo -- Last Updated: Nov. 28th, 2012

Joseph Collins · 13165

Offline Joseph Collins

• Neo Arcadian
    • View Profile
on: September 15, 2012, 10:23:58 AM
I honestly don't know how often I'll actually use this topic, but here goes...

Hello, I make sprites.  And music.  And other things.  Sometimes, when I make these things, these things somehow end up being related to Rockman.  Other times, not so much.  I'll be posting either/or in this topic whenever I feel like it.

Let's start off slow.  I recently decided it was high time I redid my personal character's Rockman 7-style 16-bit sprites.

Edit: Updated on September 16th.

The background color is intentionally there.
Progressive Versions:
[spoiler]

First version:
- Almost completely new head.
  (The bangs are the only carry-over.)
- Adjusted shirt.
- Changed "dark black" to "deep brown" on hands and ears.

Second:
- Glasses changed from silver to deep brown.
  (So they would actually be visible.)
- "Neck" added.
- Better shading on the head.
- Ears lowered by row of pixels.

Third:
- "Neck" adjusted.

Final:
- Tail adjustment.
- Feet shrunken.
- Pant legs adjusted.
- Shirt hem shifted a bit.
- Secondary shading added to hands and ear tips.
- Cheek fluff made fluffier.

Final v2:
- Lolwut.
- Head nudged forward and shading shifted.
- Bangs bunched up higher and
  whites shoftened slightly.
- Shading altered more.
[/spoiler]

As I said, this was a long-overdue thing.  The sprite on the left is actually an "in-between" sprite I made for when I was starting to redesign the sprites, but I never got around to doing much otherwise.  In fact, in what few sprite comics I put him in (read: all of one comic), I was still using the old, shorter sprites with the sweater around his waist, (I was being so lazy...)
I've been putting it off since... oh... the mid 00's or so.  It's nice to have finally revamped something other than his height or his shading, for once.  I think it's a vast improvement, honestly; it looks much, much better now.
« Last Edit: December 07, 2013, 11:01:16 PM by Joseph Collins »

Offline Acid

• RPM Knight
    • View Profile
Reply #1 on: September 15, 2012, 11:15:45 PM
Hey, I remember you.

Sprites Inc., right?

Offline Joseph Collins

• Neo Arcadian
    • View Profile
Reply #2 on: September 20, 2012, 01:51:16 AM
Among other places, yep.  I actually have my own category in the "custom sprites" section, but I've only submitted a couple things.  Specifically, my old 16-bit classic enemies and my 8-bit Springman sprites.

Good times...

Posted on: 2012-09-15, 17:45:23
So... this really isn't anything special at all, but I recently did a little background image for my Tumblr roleplay blog.

I basically just combined parts of Turboman's stage and parts of Slashman's stage to make a random forest area.  Like I said, it's just a random background thingy... nothing as impressive as from-scratch sprites...  Though I did end up creating more ground at the very bottom there.  Looks reasonably authentic, right?

Offline Quickman

• Crystal Clod and
  • RPM Sorcerer
  • Classy clod
    • View Profile
    • B. Roth Arts
Reply #3 on: September 20, 2012, 05:32:17 AM
It has this strange 3D effect.  You should totally make a scrolling 3D version.  That would be trippy to watch.

Offline Joseph Collins

• Neo Arcadian
    • View Profile
Reply #4 on: September 26, 2012, 10:14:14 PM
Hm.  There's an idea...  That'd definitely be a good way to kill some time.  Should be easy enough to do in Flash...  It'd probably look reminiscent of the forest area of Castlevania: Symphony of the Night, too.  Heh.

Bonus Time Comics #dA14 - How to Use Tumblr

So, I made a comic recently...  It has pretty much nothing to do with Rockman, but I wanted to show it off anyway.
This is actually the first comic I've drawn since "Bonus Time Comics" (the original comics and website, not the deviantART derivative) was young and still on the web.  The rest of the series has been sprite comics, but I felt like I should actually draw this one.  I think it turned out alright, though I think more people get that excited when they get inbox messages, rather than just updates from people they're watching.

Offline Protoman Blues

• Green Lantern of Sector 1337
  • RPM Knight
  • Searching for Wanda
    • View Profile
Reply #5 on: September 27, 2012, 03:49:27 AM
Hahahaha. Well I laughed! Good job!

Offline Quickman

• Crystal Clod and
  • RPM Sorcerer
  • Classy clod
    • View Profile
    • B. Roth Arts
Reply #6 on: September 27, 2012, 07:00:34 AM
Me too.  The same could be said for other sites, now that I think about it.

Offline Joseph Collins

• Neo Arcadian
    • View Profile
Reply #7 on: September 29, 2012, 05:14:34 AM
Still version[spoiler][/spoiler]
... I was bored.

Offline Quickman

• Crystal Clod and
  • RPM Sorcerer
  • Classy clod
    • View Profile
    • B. Roth Arts
Reply #8 on: October 03, 2012, 11:26:52 AM
Nothing wrong with boredom! XD

Offline Joseph Collins

• Neo Arcadian
    • View Profile
Reply #9 on: October 03, 2012, 02:42:39 PM
Boredom also created those sprites in my signature.  Granted, the one(s) of Roll were heavily based on her walking animation from Rockman World 5 (and were, in fact, Frankensteined on top of those because I'm a lazy bastard), but still.

Offline VixyNyan

• Kind & Generous Fluffy Pillow~
  • RPM Ecchi Princess
  • ♪ Vixylicious Nya Nya~ ♪
    • View Profile
    • Rockman Perfect Memories
Reply #10 on: October 03, 2012, 05:46:54 PM
Everyone seem to have grown fond of moving sprites signatures. XD

That Wily saucer looks awesome! ^^

Nintendo 3DS Friend Code: 3480-2506-4200
[DeviantArt|Twitch.tv|Youtube|Fan Work|WiiVC|Character File]
Rock10: Ranking. Rock9: AC, EA, SS, Challenge, Ranking.
(c) Sky Child~                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                         

Offline Mirby

• RPM's Krillin
  • Legendary Hero
  • KINGDOM HEARTS IS WAAAAAAA
    • View Profile
    • Mirby Studios
Reply #11 on: October 03, 2012, 09:48:12 PM
These are pretty great, man. :D

OH [parasitic bomb] IM USING LINK AND I ACCIDENTALLY FINAL SMASHED A CUCCO OH GOD HELP
Just enjoy yourself, don't complain about everything

Offline Align

• Master's Unit
    • View Profile
    • Natural Selection, my FPS of choice
Reply #12 on: October 04, 2012, 06:19:02 PM
No way I can help such abominations spread. I will resist.

Offline Joseph Collins

• Neo Arcadian
    • View Profile
Reply #13 on: October 05, 2012, 04:28:50 AM
*headtilt*  I think I missed something...

Offline Dr. Wily II

• Staring down from above as
  • RPM Knight
  • *blushes*
    • View Profile
Reply #14 on: October 05, 2012, 03:24:13 PM
*sees a Wily Saucer, and swipes it*

I'm watching you all. Always watching.

Offline Joseph Collins

• Neo Arcadian
    • View Profile
Reply #15 on: October 06, 2012, 11:38:19 PM
That's alright.

Still version[spoiler][/spoiler]

I brought a back-up UFO.  ;3

This one's actually an older sprite.  Some of you may remember it from... god knows where.  I went with cross-shading for the white color instead of solid shading.  I also recently updated the sprite to make the spinning "dots" glow (it's not very noticeable since I went with the highest red color instead of red and white) and added bolts in between the gold "knots" on the ship's upper part.  I was also debating adding a separation line near the bits on the bottom, but I ultimately decided to just leave the entire bottom half of the ship look like it's spinning, since that's how it looked in the first game and its subsequent MegaDrive remake.

I'll probably make Wily's UFO from Rockman 3, as well as his Rockman Rockman UFO, at some point in the future.  Next time I get bored or something.  You know how it is.  X3

Offline Dr. Wily II

• RPM Knight
  • *blushes*
    • View Profile
Reply #16 on: October 07, 2012, 04:37:37 AM
*sees another Wily Saucer, swipes it as well*

Offline Mirby

• RPM's Krillin
  • Legendary Hero
  • KINGDOM HEARTS IS WAAAAAAA
    • View Profile
    • Mirby Studios
Reply #17 on: October 07, 2012, 04:50:07 AM
Yeah, you'll never have enough backup saucers; Wily'll take them all.

OH [parasitic bomb] IM USING LINK AND I ACCIDENTALLY FINAL SMASHED A CUCCO OH GOD HELP
Just enjoy yourself, don't complain about everything

Offline Joseph Collins

• Neo Arcadian
    • View Profile
Reply #18 on: October 07, 2012, 03:17:05 PM
Dang it.  x:

Offline Dr. Wily II

• RPM Knight
  • *blushes*
    • View Profile
Reply #19 on: October 07, 2012, 03:28:09 PM
Don't worry, they will be put to good use.
By helping me take over RPM!

Offline Reaperoid

• Redundant
  • Master's Unit
  • d-don't fear the reaper
    • View Profile
Reply #20 on: October 07, 2012, 03:34:25 PM
What did I tell you about taking other people's saucers?
*uses the squirt bottle*

I guess all I can really say is it isn't exactly what I'd expect out of a $4.4M game

It doesn't even have mouth animations

Offline Dr. Wily II

• RPM Knight
  • *blushes*
    • View Profile
Reply #21 on: October 07, 2012, 03:38:22 PM
GAH! NOT THAT! *melts away*

Offline Joseph Collins

• Neo Arcadian
    • View Profile
Reply #22 on: October 17, 2012, 09:34:21 AM
Springman, you ballistic boyoyon bastard.  Nobody loves you like I love you.  And all your 1,000 coils.

So here, have a remix.  And a remix of a remix!

Original Remix
[spoiler][youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l4l4eDcYqGs[/youtube][/spoiler]

"Studio Mix" by Shane Strife
[spoiler][youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KqADnOTxmBE[/youtube][/spoiler]

Posted on: 2012-10-15, 02:38:53

Rockman 8 logo, Rockman 8/& Forte "get weapon" font, and viola!  Authentic-looking Rockman Perfect Memories logo!

You know what the really sad thing about this image is?  ... I made this specifically to use as a graphic for my  Speed Dial plugin.  Because if I let Speed Dial show me the actual forum page, it whines at me when I have a private message and has a chance of clearing the "Show unread posts since last visit." page, since it's basically making a quick visit to the page itself to refresh.  Same reason I have Tumblr "logoed out," actually.

Yes, I'm a member of Inkbunny.  And yes, I feel deep shame.

Posted on: 2012-10-16, 19:58:23
Triple post.  I feel so loved.   ::)  Oh well.

I recently redesigned an old character of mine.  Believe it or not, she's actually a Rockman fan character.  A classic series android, to be exact.  Her name is "Hope."  That said, allow me to introduce... a new Hope!  8D

Sprite updated 8:48 PM ET, old version under Spoiler
[spoiler][/spoiler]

Long-sleeve/hatless side-by-side
[spoiler][/spoiler]

Not a whole lot was salvaged from the old sprite.  Which is to say, absolutely nothing.  The new sprite was done completely without either a base or the old sprites I'd done for Hope before.
As for her design, she apparently used to be 5' 4" or so, but I upped her height to 5' 5".  I also did away with the Dragon Ball-Bulma-style dress and body sock, as well as the goofy snazzy hat.  And her boots.  And her arm things.  And -- well, you get the idea.  I redesigned her completely.  For the nineties!  Though she retains her long, blue hair, gold coloration for clothes, and even a Met symbol on her baseball cap, though. (Yes, that's a baseball cap.  And yes, she's wearing it backwards.)

Originally, she was designed to be the mascot of an ultimately-doomed "Metool Adoption Center" I was planning to run.  You could adopt Mets of all shapes, sizes, spriting styles, and so-forth from this site.  The site never got on the web, though a local friend and an online friend both adopted Mets. (The offline friend had a custom Met requested.  It was funky-looking.)
Hope also made a one-shot cameo in Bonus Time Comics where Bob & George's version of Bass -- cleverly disguised as Forte -- grabbed her chest.  I have no idea why. (This idea was later revisited with my then-co-authoress and both Forte and BnG-Bass.  Said co-authoress enjoyed the attention, much to Forte's confusion and frustration.)

After things fell apart with another friend of mine, Hope was implemented as another character's girlfriend in the storyline I keep adding to over the years.
In the main timeline, she was abandoned by her creator (or possibly owner -- I haven't decided) and left to rust, until the previously mention character rescued her.  She lost her programming/memory (but kept her personality) in this timeline, so she doesn't start out with a defined purpose.  I guess she'd work with robotics at some point.
In the alternate timeline which uses commercial characters and such, she comes from Rockman World and runs the aforementioned Metool Adoption Center, which specializes in re-purposed Mets as well as other "enemy" robots.

She's sweet, kind, and caring, though somewhat naive at times.  She's also girly, but not to the point where she wears dresses constantly, but more along the lines of she's not a very good tomboy.  She tries to dress modestly, but enjoys the feel of fresh air on her synth-skin now and again (hence the shorts and knee socks).  She's pretty good with tools and paint, likes nature, and occasionally wishes she were organic instead of robotic, but it's not an overpowering desire or anything, since she was built with the ability to feel, smell, and taste (with her tongue, not flavoring) like an organic being.  All and all, she's pretty nice and fun to be around.
She also has a personal companion unit, "Roger" the Metool DX-Custom.  Roger can walk, fly, carry things internally, and has optional, modular arms.  He can't speak English, but instead transmits words directly to Hope via beeps.  Of course, if someone else had a proper decoder, they could understand him as well.  And of course, Hope can make that happen with relative ease, since she's the one who modified Roger in the first place.

...  Man, that was a lot of story for a single sprite.

Offline Protoman Blues

• Green Lantern of Sector 1337
  • RPM Knight
  • Searching for Wanda
    • View Profile
Reply #23 on: October 20, 2012, 04:45:49 AM
Really nice SpringMan remixes. SPROING

Offline Quickman

• Crystal Clod and
  • RPM Sorcerer
  • Classy clod
    • View Profile
    • B. Roth Arts
Reply #24 on: October 20, 2012, 05:44:18 AM
Love the logo!  I need to check this thread more often...  And in regards to a new Hope (badum-PSSH!), she should be happy as she gained an inch in height.  At's always nice to be taller.