[X2] Broken Teleporter Mystery

Joseph Collins · 13348

Offline Joseph Collins

• Neo Arcadian
    • View Profile
on: September 12, 2012, 03:53:13 AM
Alright, I've got one for you guys...

In the Counter-Hunter 4 stage, after the long, vertical shaft in the beginning of the level, there's a pair of teleporters.  One leads to the copy Irregulars.  The other one... is broken.

It's the only broken teleporter in the entire game, despite the fact you'd think the teleporters in the next room would break when you defeat the bosses.

So, my question...  ... where does it lead, or did it lead?  Or alternately, where would you have teleported in from to get there?  Any theories?

Offline VixyNyan

• Kind & Generous Fluffy Pillow~
  • RPM Ecchi Princess
  • ♪ Vixylicious Nya Nya~ ♪
    • View Profile
    • Rockman Perfect Memories
Reply #1 on: September 12, 2012, 04:05:58 AM
I can't say about the SNES version, but in the GBC Mega Man Xtreme 2 (X2 Soul Eraser), the teleporter would send you to a fight against the Mega Man Xtreme 1 (X1 Cyber Mission) bosses in the Boss Attack Mode (after beating Extreme Mode).

Nintendo 3DS Friend Code: 3480-2506-4200
[DeviantArt|Twitch.tv|Youtube|Fan Work|WiiVC|Character File]
Rock10: Ranking. Rock9: AC, EA, SS, Challenge, Ranking.
(c) Sky Child~                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                         

Offline Hypershell

• needs DRAGONITE POWER!
  • Legendary Hero
  • Steel in Zee Head
    • View Profile
    • Get equipped with Hyper's DA
Reply #2 on: September 13, 2012, 03:36:46 AM
Well, what Vixy said, if you want the straight facts.

I guess I always envisioned that teleporter as a sign that some evil dude (read: Sigma) escaped without wanting to be followed.

Also on DeviantArt, Rumble, DLive.tv, and the Fediverse (@freespeechextremist.com and @bae.st)

Offline Protoman Blues

• Green Lantern of Sector 1337
  • RPM Knight
  • Searching for Wanda
    • View Profile
Reply #3 on: September 13, 2012, 04:17:28 AM
IT WAS WAM-X.

He's been biding his time till now to torture us!

Offline Sakura Leic

• PB's Egoprentice and Weapon's Shack Owner
  • RPM Soldier
  • Don't make me mess you up
    • View Profile
Reply #4 on: September 13, 2012, 04:25:42 AM
IT WAS WAM-X.

He's been biding his time till now to torture us!
The moment I saw this I thought of Vile's warehouse exploding in X3.  Don't know why.

Current playthrough: Chrono Trigger and God Eater Ressurection

Offline Gaia

• RPM's only Card Collector.
  • Legendary Hero
  • Yep.
    • View Profile
    • YT Profile Page
Reply #5 on: September 13, 2012, 04:36:18 AM
My guess for that teleporter is that where they would be keeping Zero/Fake Zero and the robot managed to escape via teleporter. Then again, I don't know but it was a nice touch in Xtreme 2.

Though, if Xtreme 3 DID happen.. Think of the wild ride with an 18-boss attack mode from all three SNES games!

Workshop/DA/YT/Photobucket なにかんがえてるの!?
So its about ass now huh? EVEN THE ASS HAS 'EXCEEDED'!

One mention of LEGENDS and everyone goes batshit.  :\

Yep, every time when someone mentions that game people get energized for an apparent reason whatsoever. It's like this everywhere else, trust me.

It got really messy to find my sprite and comic topic, so it's in my sig.

Offline Flame

• The obsessive
  • RPM Soldier
    • View Profile
Reply #6 on: September 13, 2012, 06:39:04 AM
Maybe it led to wherever the main control room is for the whole damn place, and Sigma destroyed it so X would have to go in through the defenses of all the boss teleporters.

...When Larry the reploid accountant goes maverick of his own accord, he's certainly formidable during tax season, but he isn't going to provide X the challenge needed to make him grow as a warrior and reach his potential.

Offline Treleus

• B-Class Hunter
    • View Profile
Reply #7 on: September 13, 2012, 09:38:16 AM
Great excuse for "we couldn't/didn't want to think of an interesting way to build upon how we did final stages in X1, so here's the boss rush mode from Mega Man Classic. Enjoy!"

It was kinda neat that they had you go back to the Central Computer stage with the Intro Stage music (that made it awesome), but also a blatant rehash.

Offline Cherrykorock

• Dr Light's other creation
  • SA-Class Hunter
  • Zero can divide by Zero.
    • View Profile
Reply #8 on: September 14, 2012, 01:08:35 AM
It brought you to a world where Megaman x had no plot holes. Capcom feared they might have to put effort into the stories and freaked out destroying the portal hoping no one would question it.   

Offline Flame

• The obsessive
  • RPM Soldier
    • View Profile
Reply #9 on: September 14, 2012, 01:11:15 AM
Great excuse for "we couldn't/didn't want to think of an interesting way to build upon how we did final stages in X1, so here's the boss rush mode from Mega Man Classic. Enjoy!"
The same could be said for X1 you know... It followed the exact same pattern of Boss re-fighting that the original Mega Man did.

...When Larry the reploid accountant goes maverick of his own accord, he's certainly formidable during tax season, but he isn't going to provide X the challenge needed to make him grow as a warrior and reach his potential.

Offline Treleus

• B-Class Hunter
    • View Profile
Reply #10 on: September 14, 2012, 02:37:43 AM
That's true. It could've completely done away with it, and I doubt many would've missed it. But it at least skirted the line between neat throwback and clear rehash instead of crossing over it. It took the iconic boss rush, spread it out, and gave it different contexts. But now that you bring it up, I don't think even the straight-up boss rush needed to come back regardless how it's rearranged.

What would've been a better way to design or envision final stages for Mega Man X, assuming boss refights were off the table? The prevailing notion I'm seeing about why boss refights exist was for you to use the right weapons on all the right bosses; more to the point, it's to beat them to a pulp better than your first fight with them. I've always felt like these refights were kinda filler material, but I never questioned it because it was tradition and just rolled with it.

So instead of just replacing the old 8 bosses with 8 new placeholder bosses (where you'd have to guess their weaknesses all over again), we can make a slight variation by having you fight 2 vs 1 matches instead of 1 on 1s. They're the same bosses with the same weaknesses, but now it's a completely different fight owing to two factors: now you're outnumbered, and now the terrain is different, making the stakes much higher. So, like, what if the boss room checkpoints were better designed to seem like they were actually trying to stop you from progressing? Like timed death traps during the match or hazardous industrial machinery adding tension in the background? These could play out more like special scenario thrillers instead of a bland sequence of boss fights. Better still, your choice of weapons could manipulate the environment to your advantage and buy you time or bring the match to a sudden victory for you.

Offline Align

• Master's Unit
    • View Profile
    • Natural Selection, my FPS of choice
Reply #11 on: September 14, 2012, 10:45:11 PM
Sounds pretty difficult...

Offline Sub Tank

• Neo Arcadian
  • PHOTOBUCKET EXPIRED
    • View Profile
Reply #12 on: September 14, 2012, 11:51:46 PM
It's not a teleporter.  It's the upgrade capsule to get the Green Biker Dude's bike.  It's broken for obvious reasons.

Offline Mirby

• RPM's Krillin
  • Legendary Hero
  • KINGDOM HEARTS IS WAAAAAAA
    • View Profile
    • Mirby Studios
Reply #13 on: September 15, 2012, 02:23:33 AM
It's not a teleporter.  It's the upgrade capsule to get the Green Biker Dude's bike.  It's broken for obvious reasons.
Seems legit. :D

OH [parasitic bomb] IM USING LINK AND I ACCIDENTALLY FINAL SMASHED A CUCCO OH GOD HELP
Just enjoy yourself, don't complain about everything

Offline Joseph Collins

• Neo Arcadian
    • View Profile
Reply #14 on: September 15, 2012, 02:59:38 AM
I'd rather play as Green Biker Dude himself.  :(

Offline Protoman Blues

• Green Lantern of Sector 1337
  • RPM Knight
  • Searching for Wanda
    • View Profile
Reply #15 on: September 15, 2012, 06:32:15 AM
That goes double for me!

Offline Joseph Collins

• Neo Arcadian
    • View Profile
Reply #16 on: September 15, 2012, 06:53:43 AM
Oh, wait a second...  We can!  :D

(I actually just remembered this exists.)