Gameplay Changes from the Last Game
- The entire game seems a lot faster, thanks in-part to the new way slowdown is handled.
- Rockman moves a bit faster now. He climbs ladders as fast as his running speed.
Which has also been increased slightly.
- Oddly enough, screen scrolls (going up/down ladders, entering boss doors, etc.) are slightly slower now.
- On that same note, Rockman now takes nine frames
(0.15 seconds) to turn the other way while running.
- The blue bomber no longer comes to a complete stop when picking up an energy power-up of any kind.
- Inversely, Rockman does
come to a complete stop when you release the left/right button while on the ground. (He slid slightly in the first two games.)
- The controls are now much
tighter and more responsive.
- Rockman can perform a "home run" slide now. This reduces his height to half and gives him a light speed boost for a short while.
- Rockman starts the game with a utility weapon. In this case, it's Rush Coil, which boosts him to great heights.
- The weapons menu has been redesigned to rise from the bottom of the screen.
- The action once again resumes before Rockman phases back into tangibility after poking around the weapons menu.Other Notes
- Gone is the introduction from the last game. However, this game is the first to have non-gameplay actual cutscenes!
- Both Rockman and boss characters explode in a slight different way now, using large, white, "poofy" explosion particles.
- In addition to a "Get Weapon" screen, you now see Rockman absorb weapons from defeated bosses and
watch the weapon appear on your menu.
- The maximum number of E-Tanks you can carry is 9. (Up from 4.) You also don't lose them when continuing now.
- The sound effects for 1ups and E-Tanks has been slowed slightly.
- Mini-bosses are now much more obvious, always having their own room.
- Yoku (Vanishing) Blocks now appear rhythmically instead of randomly -- they'll always appear in the same pattern no matter what.
- The game introduces the concept of extra stages between the eight bosses and before Wily Castle.
- Wily's UFO once again gets a redesign, though this one is a bit more subtle.
- The Robot Master re-fight teleporter hub stage has no boss. You just move on to the next stage after you defeat the last one!Likes
- This. Entire. Game.
It may not be the first one I've played, but it's damn sure my favorite game.
- Once again, music quality has improved dramatically.
- It's nice that, while they added a new moves (sliding and high-jump via Rush), they didn't beat you over the head with them. In a lot of cases, sliding or high-jumping is optional.
- Also, Doc Robots. Dokurobotos. Skullbots. Whatever you want to call them, they're just plain awesome.Neutral Points
- After fighting the first boss in Geminiman's revisited stage, there's a place where, if you somehow manage to get there with no Rush Coil or Rush Jet energy, you are forced to reset the game. However, I simply can't envision a scenario where that would possibly be, unless you were trying
to get there with no Rush energy. Still, if you did that by accident, you'd have to... um... enter a password to get back there. ... yeaaah, minor inconvenience at worst.
- Not game-breaking, but given that this game came out about a year after the second one, you'd think they could have made the Doc Robot battles a little more... authentic... to the Rockman 2
Robot Masters. Some were slowed down, some were strengthened, others weakened... And poor Doc Robot Crashman's Crash Bombs were just sad, hollow shells of their former selves. Dislikes
- ... I've got nothing. Absolutely, positively nothing. I genuinely cannot find one thing wrong with this game that would happen to the average person. And believe me, I am trying.
- Okay, ACE Spark reminded me of something I failed to mention. Somehow. The new weapons menu? It's absolute crap. If you have gaps in your weapon inventory, you will more than likely miss the weapon you're going for, or even worse, end up using an E-Tank by mistake. This also caused the infamous "Phantom Rush Marine/Jet" glitch which let you get Rush Marine/Jet before you were supposed to. Which is pretty hilarious.Most Overpowered Weapon:
Top Spin (Topman's weapon) or Shadow Blade (Shadowman's weapon)
Yep. Two overpowered weapons. I couldn't decide which was more deserving of the title.
- As far as the first goes, I know what you're thinking. "You're full of crap!" and/or "You're biased." Well... I admit I'm a bit biased on this, but I'm most certainly not full of crap. Think about this for a minute. Top Spin destroys anything it can -- which is pretty much any small enemy in the game (and one or two larger ones) -- in one hit
for one weapon energy unit
. Now stop to consider that most enemies will drop a small Weapon Energy power-up when destroyed. Tell me that's not overpowered. Ah, but it does
have a little kick-back... not to mention you have to run into enemies with it in use...
- As for Shadow Blade? What Top Spin can't destroy, Shadow Blade seems to excel
at destroying. Hammer Joes, Giant Snakeys and Petit Snakeys... And it makes this awesome buzz saw sound while it does it, too! Unfortunately, it has only 1/4 the range of Metal Blade from the last game as well as the inability to shoot in any downward direction. You also only get 48 of them instead of 112, which is what's stopping me from dubbing this the single-most overpowered weapon in the game.Most Useless Weapon:
Spark Shock (Sparkman's weapon)
While it's very useful to be able to lock an enemy in place no matter where they are or what they're doing, Spark Shock nullifies this usefulness with the fact that you can't switch weapons while an enemy is shocked. You either have to wait for the shock to wear off, scroll the enemy off-screen, or avoid it entirely. Speaking from personal experience, the only real use this weapon gets is as a boss weakness.Most Useless Utility:
I'm not sure this was intentional, but anywhere you can use Rush Marine, you can use Rush Jet
. The biggest difference between the two is where the bullets come from, really. (Rush Marine fires from the mouth while Rockman fires while riding Rush Jet.)