Rockman X is Over

Guest · 77406

Offline Protoman Blues

• Green Lantern of Sector 1337
  • RPM Knight
  • Searching for Wanda
    • View Profile
Reply #200 on: September 23, 2012, 08:08:35 PM
I gotta say, for all the times I've [parasitic bomb] on Xover for, well, looking like [parasitic bomb], I really do appreciate Conrad's cool approach. There aren't enough voices like him to temper the predictable response of being insulted. I've only heard one other on Unity's Mega Man boards, and his appraisal of the game is optimistic for the long-term. The rationale is that this will get Mega Man into more hands and possibly into more hearts as well. Think of a kid who might look at Xover, think it looks really cool, and asks his parents to buy it for him? What if that gets him into Mega Man? What if there's an entire generation of iPhone/iPad kids who get into Mega Man because of X1 and Xover? Far-fetched and unlikely, maybe, but kids aren't that critical, and this could be just an entry point that leads them to better games, old or new.

This is honestly the most naively optimistic thing I've read about this game, and I've got two words for it: bull. [parasitic bomb]. Listen, I'm an optimist, even when it comes to Capcom, but everything said here is downright crazy. How will this get MegaMan into more hands and hearts? HOW? By putting it on one and ONLY one....phone? Tablet? That's insane. At the very least you could make that argument  if they put this game on Droids as well. But just Apple? Absolute nonsense. LoL, and what kid owns an iPhone or iPad? Kids own actual game systems that their parents bought them, not insanely expensive phones or tablets. 

So while I still think it looks like [parasitic bomb], and makes for a bad anniversary game for long-time fans considering the recent cancellations, it's probably not worth getting too upset over. Get upset, complain, and criticize it for being a piece of [parasitic bomb], sure, but there should be a point where it's no longer an insult or offensive. It's just there, for whatever reason or purpose it might serve. The only reason it's there is probably because X iOS sold well after a price drop, so they got the hint and made this game free-to-play. If nothing else, they're experimenting with a pricing model based on a safe game for a new platform. They could be more ambitious with it, but let's face it: they are not that invested into Mega Man right now. Stubborn as they are, we're going to have to work with that if we want results. We'll also have to wait like every other ignored Capcom fanbase. And we're not exactly being ignored.

Actually, the opposite is true. There's no reason to still be upset over it, but it's still insulting &/or offensive. It's like Spider-Man: One More Day or Transformers 3. They're still an insult, but there's no reason to be upset over them anymore. Hahaha, and the fact that we have to deal with this shitfest and accept it if we want results is EXACTLY why people are and still get [tornado fang]ing upset. BECAUSE THERE'S NOTHING WE CAN [tornado fang]ing DO. We have to put up with [parasitic bomb] like this and continue to wait and wait and "be patient" as they tell us to be. Make no mistake. We're are being ignored because we're not enough to bring them enough profit for them to give a [parasitic bomb] about us, which ultimately means that they'll keep milking us for some nostalgia based chump change and that's it. Heh, it's theoretically worse than being ignored.

Offline Flame

• The obsessive
  • RPM Soldier
    • View Profile
Reply #201 on: September 23, 2012, 08:11:02 PM
LoL, and what kid owns an iPhone or iPad? Kids own actual game systems that their parents bought them, not insanely expensive phones or tablets. 

Eeeeh you'd be surprised. Your point still holds though.

...When Larry the reploid accountant goes maverick of his own accord, he's certainly formidable during tax season, but he isn't going to provide X the challenge needed to make him grow as a warrior and reach his potential.

Offline Protoman Blues

• RPM Knight
  • Searching for Wanda
    • View Profile
Reply #202 on: September 23, 2012, 08:13:02 PM
Eeeeh you'd be surprised. Your point still holds though.

If any kid under 12 owns their own iPhone, their parents should be smacked. Hell, I'd go as high as 16 for a freakin' smart phone, especially one as expensive as an iPhone.

Offline Gaia

• RPM's only Card Collector.
  • Legendary Hero
  • Yep.
    • View Profile
    • YT Profile Page
Reply #203 on: September 23, 2012, 08:13:29 PM
The problem is they ALWAYS play it safe. ALWAYS. They have played it safe with Mega Man long before this. It's why we got X8 the way it was after X7 bombed as a 3D X game, and Command Mission, different genre aside, most likely didn't sell enough units to warrant trying 3D again. It's the reason they never wanted to go back to Legends. Because it failed them and they just didnt want to take the risk despite ever increasing fan demand for a Legends 3.

It's the reason they went for a retro revival too. They know for a fact that hardcore nostalgic gamers who played the original NES games growing up will definitely buy a new NES game. Especially if it tries to emulate Mega Man 2. The fan favorite.

Capcom has done nothing but play it safe for a long time. And it's done nothing but cause the franchise to suffer. So people dont buy the games as they get worse, and therefore Capcom plays it safer still. But if we support one of their mediocre products, they will IMMEDIATELY jump at the chance to cash in on that one specific thing, since in their eyes, that is what people want.
It's such a ridiculous lose lose situation.

This is what I've been trying to tell someone on TMMN. It's just that capcom's played it safe for a long time now and it's starting to show in other franchises they own to the point that other companies outsource them (ProjectXZone shows this well).

Here, let me fetch an excript from the debate on the subject:

essentially though, level design has little correlation to change in mechanics, because you could probably play all the levels from MM1-6 as mario from MB3 with his games mechanics, and it would still work, and might actually be a very entertaining game! though you probably wouldn’t be able to get past the wily stages where you need specific weapons, most levels would work fine.

Umm, yeah. Something tells me that you would NEED to modify the gameplay in order to get Mario to work IN MM1-6. Mega Man and Bass ring any bells? I feel that the game was designed more in favor for Bass (to an extension, Mega Man X) than Classic Mega Man. See something wrong here?

but it's still insulting &/or offensive. It's like Transformers 3.

Tell that to Transformers: Kiss Players, which is one of the STRANGEST things Takara has done with the franchise.

Workshop/DA/YT/Photobucket なにかんがえてるの!?
So its about ass now huh? EVEN THE ASS HAS 'EXCEEDED'!

One mention of LEGENDS and everyone goes batshit.  :\

Yep, every time when someone mentions that game people get energized for an apparent reason whatsoever. It's like this everywhere else, trust me.

It got really messy to find my sprite and comic topic, so it's in my sig.

Offline The Great Gonzo

• Master's Unit
    • View Profile
Reply #204 on: September 23, 2012, 08:20:06 PM
I really do appreciate Conrad's cool approach.

If by "cool" you mean "apathetic". What's worse, he expects the rest of the MM fanbase to be just as apathetic, and never want Capcom to treat the series with respect. A series that many of us grew up with in some form or another, and if we feel even the slightest indignation over its current treatment, we're "entitled".

but kids aren't that critical

I'm fairly certain that yes, they are. They're not stupid; if you try to give them garbage, they'll know, and they won't like it.

They might buy/download it, but once they realize how little there is to the game, it's not likely to hold their attention for much longer.

But in case I'm giving the current generation too much credit and they really are that gormless: do you really think that the kind of person who'd enjoy Xover (in which Luka is invincible to all but the stage boss, and even then he apparently can't lose) would care for any other MM title? Those games are actually challenging, but Hypothetical New Audience is too used to easier iPhone games to care about the rest of the series.

We'll also have to wait like every other ignored Capcom fanbase. And we're not exactly being ignored.

Try that logic on the Breath of Fire fanbase, or any fans of a series that Capcom has completely abandoned save for occasional re-releases, and see how well it ends for you.

We're technically not being ignored in the sense that we're getting a dumbed-down iOS rail shooter for the 25th and virtually nothing else...but look at what Capcom's doing for Street Fighter's 25th. The SF fans get all that nice stuff, and we have to settle for Xover and an overpriced collection of music we already had for free.

Offline VixyNyan

• Kind & Generous Fluffy Pillow~
  • RPM Ecchi Princess
  • ♪ Vixylicious Nya Nya~ ♪
    • View Profile
    • Rockman Perfect Memories
Reply #205 on: September 23, 2012, 09:12:41 PM
Try that logic on the Breath of Fire fanbase, or any fans of a series that Capcom has completely abandoned save for occasional re-releases, and see how well it ends for you.

Gargoyle's Quest/Demon's Crest. O^O

http://forum.rockmanpm.com/index.php?topic=678.0

Nintendo 3DS Friend Code: 3480-2506-4200
[DeviantArt|Twitch.tv|Youtube|Fan Work|WiiVC|Character File]
Rock10: Ranking. Rock9: AC, EA, SS, Challenge, Ranking.
(c) Sky Child~                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                         

Offline Protoman Blues

• RPM Knight
  • Searching for Wanda
    • View Profile
Reply #206 on: September 23, 2012, 09:38:21 PM
Gargoyle's Quest/Demon's Crest. O^O

Power Stone  :(

Offline Hiryu

• Capcom's Favorite futuristic ninja
  • B-Class Hunter
    • View Profile
Reply #207 on: September 23, 2012, 10:41:26 PM
Wow, Power Stone. That game was awesome.

Adding to that list:
Strider
Echoing Vixy, Capcom has done nothing with Ghosts n' Goblins since Maximo - almost a decade ago.
I've heard Willow was a good RPG for the NES
Captain Commando

Offline Sakura Leic

• PB's Egoprentice and Weapon's Shack Owner
  • RPM Soldier
  • Don't make me mess you up
    • View Profile
Reply #208 on: September 23, 2012, 11:01:34 PM
Should Veiwtiful Joe be added to this?

I also loved the Gameboy Legend of Zelda games that Capcom was somewhat involved with.  The Oracle games to this day are my favorite.

Current playthrough: Chrono Trigger and God Eater Ressurection

Offline Joseph Collins

• Neo Arcadian
    • View Profile
Reply #209 on: September 24, 2012, 12:34:35 AM
Also, While the mass produced unit is uncharacteristic of Dr. Light, Dr. Cossack on the other hand..
If you're referring to Ran Cossack, the fanon character... well, two things.  1. He's fanon, and 2. he wasn't "mass-produced."  He could have been, but no.  He was just made of "such incredibly cheap parts" than he was easy to replace if he broke.  Which he did.  A lot.

Echoing Vixy, Capcom has done nothing with Ghosts n' Goblins since Maximo - almost a decade ago.
Makaimura Kishi Retsuden II (2011).  Also, Goku Makaimura (2006) for the PSP.  But the former is more relevant, since it just proves the point most of you are trying to make -- there is no excuse for this kind of poor gameplay.  Capcom just doesn't care anymore.

Sidenote: I agree that Red Arremer needs a new game.

Offline The Great Gonzo

• Master's Unit
    • View Profile
Reply #210 on: September 24, 2012, 12:57:51 AM
Makaimura Kishi Retsuden II (2011).

So, Capcom can spare the resources for a well-reviewed, awesome looking entry in a series that a) hasn't seen a new game in a while, and b) probably isn't a guaranteed-seller like SF or RE...but when it comes to Megaman, one of their perceived mascots, all they can give us is Xover.

And people wonder why many MM fans think it's out of unprofessional spite.

Also, I'm not really a GnG fan, but how'd that get past me?

Offline Joseph Collins

• Neo Arcadian
    • View Profile
Reply #211 on: September 24, 2012, 01:36:37 AM
Because you're not really a fan of the series.  X3  And... it's for iOS.  I mean, seriously.  iOS.  Why?

*secretly thinking "I-gotta-get-some-iOS-thing-just-for-this-game-and-the-first-game-and-maybe-Rockman-X-just-for-laughs-but-definitely-those-two-games-god-damnit-they-look-so-cooool-agh-flagh-blahg-blbalgh-blahg"*

Offline Gaia

• RPM's only Card Collector.
  • Legendary Hero
  • Yep.
    • View Profile
    • YT Profile Page
Reply #212 on: September 24, 2012, 01:38:23 AM
If you're referring to Ran Cossack, the fanon character... well, two things.  1. He's fanon, and 2. he wasn't "mass-produced."  He could have been, but no.  He was just made of "such incredibly cheap parts" than he was easy to replace if he broke.  Which he did.  A lot.

I was talking about Over-1, not Ran. Since it's technically a DCN(m) unit, and he DOES look a bit like fanon Ran Cossack, I can see why.

Workshop/DA/YT/Photobucket なにかんがえてるの!?
So its about ass now huh? EVEN THE ASS HAS 'EXCEEDED'!

One mention of LEGENDS and everyone goes batshit.  :\

Yep, every time when someone mentions that game people get energized for an apparent reason whatsoever. It's like this everywhere else, trust me.

It got really messy to find my sprite and comic topic, so it's in my sig.

Offline The Great Gonzo

• Master's Unit
    • View Profile
Reply #213 on: September 24, 2012, 01:52:41 AM
And... it's for iOS.  I mean, seriously.  iOS.  Why?

I guess that as long as there exist developers who want to prove that iOS platforms can be more than a dumping ground of refuse, there'll be less-casual games like this.

Unfortunately, it doesn't seem like the platform will ever be suited for it. The N-Gage was a total failure (I think its second version did better), but even that had physical buttons.

EDIT: Now Heatman's played it. Guess what? It still sucks.

Unfortunately he praises Zimmerman's review, which pisses me off, but he does make a good point--the game's main focus could be customization, and the stages themselves are just there so you can grind for stuff. Which is still unacceptable to me, but I'm sure someone won't be as disappointed by that.

Also, according to CAP Kobun, all the music and sounds are re-used from previous games. That's right, they couldn't be arsed to compose new music. Maybe some Xover-exclusive areas will have new music, but I'm not counting on it.

Offline VixyNyan

• RPM Ecchi Princess
    • View Profile
Reply #214 on: September 24, 2012, 05:08:55 AM

Oh well, back to the good ol' years of gaming.

(c) Sky Child~                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                         

Offline Protoman Blues

• RPM Knight
  • Searching for Wanda
    • View Profile
Reply #215 on: September 24, 2012, 05:25:46 AM

Oh well, back to the good ol' years of gaming.

Good times

Offline The Great Gonzo

• Master's Unit
    • View Profile
Reply #216 on: September 24, 2012, 05:29:04 AM
;___;

You know what's really "special" about Xover? Even the most optimistic reviews can't bring up a single legitimately good point (the closest being "it's just a demo/casual game"). I don't remember ever seeing anything this awful before.

Offline Joseph Collins

• Neo Arcadian
    • View Profile
Reply #217 on: September 24, 2012, 05:38:09 AM
"X-Play gives it 1 Squall Leonhearts -- *irrelevant Final Fantasy VIII clip that's been played a 12 times throughout the review* -- out of 5."

Offline The Great Gonzo

• Master's Unit
    • View Profile
Reply #218 on: September 24, 2012, 05:43:58 AM
(X-Play, huh? Mom and I agreed that the show took a dive in quality after G4 took over...Unfortunately, I don't think they really liked any MM game besides Anniversary Collection, so they'd probably give Xover a low score regardless)

I remember someone disliking Adreas's review because he was so incensed during it, but now it seems that he wasn't exaggerating the demo's lack of quality in the slightest. Something to keep in mind if anyone tries to hold Zimmerman's review over his.

Offline VixyNyan

• RPM Ecchi Princess
    • View Profile
Reply #219 on: September 24, 2012, 05:47:23 AM
Just be glad they didn't add stuff like this in.

But knowing Capcom, they probably would. ^^;

(c) Sky Child~                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                         

Offline Protoman Blues

• RPM Knight
  • Searching for Wanda
    • View Profile
Reply #220 on: September 24, 2012, 06:14:07 AM

Hahahaha, exaaaactly!

Offline Flame

• The obsessive
  • RPM Soldier
    • View Profile
Reply #221 on: September 24, 2012, 12:09:31 PM

Wow, was that seriously in Ios X?

Geez.

...When Larry the reploid accountant goes maverick of his own accord, he's certainly formidable during tax season, but he isn't going to provide X the challenge needed to make him grow as a warrior and reach his potential.

Offline Mirby

• RPM's Krillin
  • Legendary Hero
  • KINGDOM HEARTS IS WAAAAAAA
    • View Profile
    • Mirby Studios
Reply #222 on: September 24, 2012, 03:01:58 PM
Flame, you should look up.

Up there.

Somewhere up there.... is where the joke flew over your head. :P

OH [parasitic bomb] IM USING LINK AND I ACCIDENTALLY FINAL SMASHED A CUCCO OH GOD HELP
Just enjoy yourself, don't complain about everything

Offline Ladd Spencer

• Neo Arcadian
  • Blow up! We want to blow up this area.
    • View Profile
Reply #223 on: September 24, 2012, 07:11:03 PM
If any kid under 12 owns their own iPhone, their parents should be smacked. Hell, I'd go as high as 16 for a freakin' smart phone, especially one as expensive as an iPhone.
You'd be surprised. I had a lost iPhone retrieved by an 8 year old at my old job. Though, in my opinion, only children long to own iPhones, since their cool factor has worn off for most sane adults and left nothing but logical dislike.

FEELS  ;^;Which has the massive scrotums?

Offline Flame

• The obsessive
  • RPM Soldier
    • View Profile
Reply #224 on: September 24, 2012, 08:13:31 PM
Flame, you should look up.

Up there.

Somewhere up there.... is where the joke flew over your head. :P
Well, I haven't played it, but considering that you COULD buy all the power ups, I wouldn't have put it past Capcom to do something like that...