Rockman X is Over

Guest · 77445

Offline Solar

• SHSL Solar Boy
  • Legendary Hero
    • View Profile
Reply #175 on: September 21, 2012, 07:48:16 AM
Yeeeeeeah, I really don't like that trend that started there with there not being any real challenge until the final boss and the postgame.

My life is currently bears and Jojos and everything is great.

Offline Police Girl

• A total qt
  • Legendary Hero
  • cannons are cool i guess
    • View Profile
Reply #176 on: September 21, 2012, 07:49:21 AM
None of the Navi's were challenging in BN6. Not one.

You could get an S Rank on the first boss the first time around for fucks sake.
That's how easy it was.

Offline Sakura Leic

• PB's Egoprentice and Weapon's Shack Owner
  • RPM Soldier
  • Don't make me mess you up
    • View Profile
Reply #177 on: September 21, 2012, 07:50:42 AM
The only boss I had trouble with was Circus Man and Gregar Beast Megaman until I used Slashman.

Current playthrough: Chrono Trigger and God Eater Ressurection

Archer

Reply #178 on: September 21, 2012, 10:03:49 AM
21 in June.

that birth month and age are mine

plz don't steal

Offline Police Girl

• A total qt
  • Legendary Hero
    • View Profile
Reply #179 on: September 21, 2012, 10:57:32 AM
Yeeeeeeah, I really don't like that trend that started there with there not being any real challenge until the final boss and the postgame.

Those weren't hard either (Gregar SP might have been tough, its been a while though so I can't remember.)

Its to date the only BN game i've beaten 100%. Huge pain in the ass.

Offline Reaperoid

• Redundant
  • Master's Unit
  • d-don't fear the reaper
    • View Profile
Reply #180 on: September 21, 2012, 12:25:27 PM
Has it really been that long? I'll be 22 this April, so, yeah, maybe...

Damn straight!
*points at sig*

I guess all I can really say is it isn't exactly what I'd expect out of a $4.4M game

It doesn't even have mouth animations

Offline Treleus

• B-Class Hunter
    • View Profile
Reply #181 on: September 21, 2012, 07:55:42 PM
I elect Ucchy-san as our ROCK-PSY.

Offline The Great Gonzo

• Master's Unit
    • View Profile
Reply #182 on: September 22, 2012, 03:44:19 AM
Another TGS hands-on review, this time by someone who has absolutely no understanding of why Xover is so goddamn offensive.

On the plus side, he doesn't really shame the fans and is mostly just "what's the problem"?

But as I said on PRC (assuming my comment gets through), there has to be a better way to "represent" traditional MM gameplay on a platform not suited for it than "auto-scroll purgatory".

Offline Joseph Collins

• Neo Arcadian
    • View Profile
Reply #183 on: September 22, 2012, 04:01:51 AM
To be fair, I think the community is overreacting.  The game is by no means "offensive."  It is, however, "extremely disappointing" and "barely has anything to do with any of the series."  Really, it seems like you barely even have to press more than the Start button to "play" the game.  This is confirmed by the review you posted, in fact:
Is it thrilling? Well, no. The demo was such that I couldn't possibly screw it up. Enemies dealt no damage during the running section and it was mathematically impossible for Storm Eagle to deal enough damage to OVER-1 to destroy him. The combat is, at least insofar as the demo would show, very shallow. There was no blocking, no dodging, nothing really to do at all.
Though personally, I do disagree with this bit:
[...] but this is a representation of traditional Mega Man gameplay and I think using autorun and turn-based mechanics to represent that on a platform otherwise not conducive to the demands of the traditional design is a novel way to do so.
... if only because Rockman X for iOS happened.  Not to mention, there are a few 2D platforming action-RPGs out there, multiplayer or single player, with similar controls.

I also agree with this:
The other bit is that I haven't seen enough to make a real value judgment. My demo included no additional characters besides OVER-1 and Storm Eagle (and Mets and Batton Bones in the autorun segment). The collection and use of cards seen in the trailer was nowhere to be found, nor any of the "rock, paper, scissors" style of enemy resistances which are a core staple of the franchise. So, there's a lot I still don't know and it would be foolish of me to dismiss it out of hand simply because of the property it's associated with, let alone become enraged because they're not treating the property I love the way I think they should.
But yeah, so far?  The game doesn't look very fun or interesting.

Offline Phi

• RPM Knight
    • View Profile
Reply #184 on: September 22, 2012, 04:14:21 AM
From now on, I've decided I will no longer be offended by what happens to Megaman. I'm sure whatever happens in the future will be bad and nothing better.

Offline Mirby

• RPM's Krillin
  • Legendary Hero
  • KINGDOM HEARTS IS WAAAAAAA
    • View Profile
    • Mirby Studios
Reply #185 on: September 22, 2012, 04:24:51 AM
From now on, I've decided I will no longer be offended by what happens to Megaman. I'm sure whatever happens in the future will be bad and nothing better.
I haven't been offended by this stuff and I'm doin' pretty good. :D

OH [parasitic bomb] IM USING LINK AND I ACCIDENTALLY FINAL SMASHED A CUCCO OH GOD HELP
Just enjoy yourself, don't complain about everything

Offline The Great Gonzo

• Master's Unit
    • View Profile
Reply #186 on: September 22, 2012, 04:34:03 AM
To be fair, I think the community is overreacting.  The game is by no means "offensive."

Please explain to me how "a physical manifestation of Capcom's apathy for a series that helped to put them on the map as (once-) respected third-party developers" isn't offensive.

But seriously--three games that had actual, tangible care and effort put into them got cancelled for unknown reasons, and we have to settle for this. Or jack squat, if you're like me and don't have an iPhone.

I keep hearing that it's free to play; that and Luka may be its only saving graces. But you know they're gonna trap you behind a paywall at some point(s) in Xover, or at least make any equipment that makes certain enemies or obstacles less unbearable the only ones you can't find naturally.

And assuming they don't sink that low, it'll just be a reminder of what we could've had.

/tangent

Archer

Reply #187 on: September 22, 2012, 06:40:45 AM
why do people continue to keep up with this game if they have no interest in it

Offline Protoman Blues

• Green Lantern of Sector 1337
  • RPM Knight
  • Searching for Wanda
    • View Profile
Reply #188 on: September 22, 2012, 06:52:47 AM

For the same reason I keep in touch with a friend who's practically throwing his life away; to see if there's anything lower than rock bottom.

Offline Solar

• SHSL Solar Boy
  • Legendary Hero
    • View Profile
Reply #189 on: September 22, 2012, 06:55:38 AM
That, and there's literally nothing else that somehow resembles "big" until the comic crossover with Sonic next year.

Offline Joseph Collins

• Neo Arcadian
    • View Profile
Reply #190 on: September 22, 2012, 07:10:53 AM
Hm...  You know, this reminds me.  What did Capcom do for the 5th, 10th, 15th, and 20th anniversary celebrations?  I heard something about a big cake for the 20th?  But I mean, what about games and whatnot?  The only thing I can remember right off-hand was Rockman 8 was made to celebrate the 10th anniversary, if the US box cover is any indication. (Was there ever a non-"anniversary edition" of Mega Man 8?)

Offline Solar

• SHSL Solar Boy
  • Legendary Hero
    • View Profile
Reply #191 on: September 22, 2012, 07:12:02 AM
10th=MM8
15th=BN3
20th=SF1

IIRC at least.

Offline The Great Gonzo

• Master's Unit
    • View Profile
Reply #192 on: September 22, 2012, 07:14:45 AM
10th=MM8
15th=BN3
20th=SF1

IIRC at least.

Sounds about right.

Offline Police Girl

• A total qt
  • Legendary Hero
    • View Profile
Reply #193 on: September 22, 2012, 07:48:45 AM
10th=MM8, X4
15th=BN3, Anniversary Collection, Network Transmission, X7
20th=SF1

IIRC at least.

ftfy, at least those are the games that came out within the time period to have the "Anniversary" insignia on them.

Offline Flame

• The obsessive
  • RPM Soldier
    • View Profile
Reply #194 on: September 22, 2012, 08:18:38 AM
I still hold that "Offensive" is the entirely wrong word, and that "Insulting" is more appropriate.

A Racial slur, is offensive. Sexism, is offensive. Violence, can be offensive. A bad videogame by a company with mediocre business and personal relations practices, is not offensive. At best(worst?) it's Insulting.

...When Larry the reploid accountant goes maverick of his own accord, he's certainly formidable during tax season, but he isn't going to provide X the challenge needed to make him grow as a warrior and reach his potential.

Offline Protoman Blues

• Green Lantern of Sector 1337
  • RPM Knight
  • Searching for Wanda
    • View Profile
Reply #195 on: September 22, 2012, 10:24:47 PM
I still hold that "Offensive" is the entirely wrong word, and that "Insulting" is more appropriate.

A Racial slur, is offensive. Sexism, is offensive. Violence, can be offensive. A bad videogame by a company with mediocre business and personal relations practices, is not offensive. At best(worst?) it's Insulting.

Both words apply. They are very similar.

Offline Hypershell

• needs DRAGONITE POWER!
  • Legendary Hero
  • Steel in Zee Head
    • View Profile
    • Get equipped with Hyper's DA
Reply #196 on: September 23, 2012, 04:10:55 AM
Indeed.  If you DON'T find an insulting thing to be offensive, then it wasn't a very good insult.

Because no matter how craptacular it is, it's still the most significant piece of news in the fandom.  If any remotely half-assed game were coming out, XOver would be properly ignored.

Also on DeviantArt, Rumble, DLive.tv, and the Fediverse (@freespeechextremist.com and @bae.st)

Offline Treleus

• B-Class Hunter
    • View Profile
Reply #197 on: September 23, 2012, 05:04:23 PM
Now BBAMM, that was offensive, amirite? Eh? Eeeeeh?

I gotta say, for all the times I've [parasitic bomb] on Xover for, well, looking like [parasitic bomb], I really do appreciate Conrad's cool approach. There aren't enough voices like him to temper the predictable response of being insulted. I've only heard one other on Unity's Mega Man boards, and his appraisal of the game is optimistic for the long-term. The rationale is that this will get Mega Man into more hands and possibly into more hearts as well. Think of a kid who might look at Xover, think it looks really cool, and asks his parents to buy it for him? What if that gets him into Mega Man? What if there's an entire generation of iPhone/iPad kids who get into Mega Man because of X1 and Xover? Far-fetched and unlikely, maybe, but kids aren't that critical, and this could be just an entry point that leads them to better games, old or new.

So while I still think it looks like [parasitic bomb], and makes for a bad anniversary game for long-time fans considering the recent cancellations, it's probably not worth getting too upset over. Get upset, complain, and criticize it for being a piece of [parasitic bomb], sure, but there should be a point where it's no longer an insult or offensive. It's just there, for whatever reason or purpose it might serve. The only reason it's there is probably because X iOS sold well after a price drop, so they got the hint and made this game free-to-play. If nothing else, they're experimenting with a pricing model based on a safe game for a new platform. They could be more ambitious with it, but let's face it: they are not that invested into Mega Man right now. Stubborn as they are, we're going to have to work with that if we want results. We'll also have to wait like every other ignored Capcom fanbase. And we're not exactly being ignored.

Offline Gaia

• RPM's only Card Collector.
  • Legendary Hero
  • Yep.
    • View Profile
    • YT Profile Page
Reply #198 on: September 23, 2012, 07:44:08 PM
We'll also have to wait like every other ignored Capcom fanbase. And we're not exactly being ignored.

...Thanks for bringing that up...

Capcom is [parasitic bomb] with PR relations, even before this madness. How many people do we have waiting for a new Rival Schools game for some time now? While Mega Man might live on in comic book format, and from what you said they are "invested" in SF, RE, and Pheonix Wright now.

Speaking of which, didin't they have a working RPG engine for Mega Man and could have used that instead of.. this? Also, While the mass produced unit is uncharacteristic of Dr. Light, Dr. Cossack on the other hand..

Workshop/DA/YT/Photobucket なにかんがえてるの!?
So its about ass now huh? EVEN THE ASS HAS 'EXCEEDED'!

One mention of LEGENDS and everyone goes batshit.  :\

Yep, every time when someone mentions that game people get energized for an apparent reason whatsoever. It's like this everywhere else, trust me.

It got really messy to find my sprite and comic topic, so it's in my sig.

Offline Flame

• The obsessive
  • RPM Soldier
    • View Profile
Reply #199 on: September 23, 2012, 07:51:54 PM
they're experimenting with a pricing model based on a safe game for a new platform. They could be more ambitious with it,
The problem is they ALWAYS play it safe. ALWAYS. They have played it safe with Mega Man long before this. It's why we got X8 the way it was after X7 bombed as a 3D X game, and Command Mission, different genre aside, most likely didn't sell enough units to warrant trying 3D again. It's the reason they never wanted to go back to Legends. Because it failed them and they just didnt want to take the risk despite ever increasing fan demand for a Legends 3.

It's the reason they went for a retro revival too. They know for a fact that hardcore nostalgic gamers who played the original NES games growing up will definitely buy a new NES game. Especially if it tries to emulate Mega Man 2. The fan favorite.

Capcom has done nothing but play it safe for a long time. And it's done nothing but cause the franchise to suffer. So people dont buy the games as they get worse, and therefore Capcom plays it safer still. But if we support one of their mediocre products, they will IMMEDIATELY jump at the chance to cash in on that one specific thing, since in their eyes, that is what people want.
It's such a ridiculous lose lose situation.

...When Larry the reploid accountant goes maverick of his own accord, he's certainly formidable during tax season, but he isn't going to provide X the challenge needed to make him grow as a warrior and reach his potential.