X4 is really overrated

zuschzero · 39370

Offline Flame

• The obsessive
  • RPM Soldier
    • View Profile
Reply #50 on: August 20, 2012, 05:19:35 AM
Believe is definitely one of the best Jap. X songs, if not my favorite. It's just SO CATCHY. And I love the little cutscenes in the corner of the screen, just showing miscellaneous stuff. That ending of X and Zero staring off into the sunset on a rooftop is still the greatest thing ever.

...When Larry the reploid accountant goes maverick of his own accord, he's certainly formidable during tax season, but he isn't going to provide X the challenge needed to make him grow as a warrior and reach his potential.

Offline Protoman Blues

• Green Lantern of Sector 1337
  • RPM Knight
  • Searching for Wanda
    • View Profile
Reply #51 on: August 20, 2012, 06:08:04 AM
 <3 Believe

As for X7, it has one of the best Sigma fight songs in the series. It could contend for #1. I also like the 1st Crimson Palace stage and maybe another theme or two. Otherwise, not really a fan.

Offline Flame

• The obsessive
  • RPM Soldier
    • View Profile
Reply #52 on: August 20, 2012, 06:29:05 AM
To be honest, theres nothing wrong with X7's soundtrack. The problem is everything else.

...When Larry the reploid accountant goes maverick of his own accord, he's certainly formidable during tax season, but he isn't going to provide X the challenge needed to make him grow as a warrior and reach his potential.

Offline Protoman Blues

• RPM Knight
  • Searching for Wanda
    • View Profile
Reply #53 on: August 20, 2012, 06:41:17 AM
To be honest, theres nothing wrong with X7's soundtrack. The problem is everything else.

Don't get me started

Offline Ladd Spencer

• Neo Arcadian
  • Blow up! We want to blow up this area.
    • View Profile
Reply #54 on: August 20, 2012, 06:52:57 AM
X7's a game you really have to want to play. But it's not as awful as everybody makes it seem. I rather liked targeting and unleashing charge shots.

FEELS  ;^;Which has the massive scrotums?

Offline Flame

• The obsessive
  • RPM Soldier
    • View Profile
Reply #55 on: August 20, 2012, 07:02:44 AM
Thing about Targeting, is that it only really works for 3D. it's really stupid in 2D.

X7 is really not nearly as bad as say, Sonic 06, but it is still possibly the worst X series game, matched only by Xtreme 1.

It has so much potential, and so many right ideas, but then it has just as many bad ideas, and problems to it.

Capcom really should have ironed out everything X7 did wrong, and tried again, but instead we got X8, which while good, isnt really outstanding as far as X games go, either. Although we did get the AMAZING Command Mission inbetween, which takes the 3D X series idea and makes it an RPG which for whatever magical reason, not only works extremely well, but is extremely engrossing, and really well made.

Offline Ladd Spencer

• Neo Arcadian
    • View Profile
Reply #56 on: August 20, 2012, 07:19:20 AM
I like the targeting in 2D. It was fresh feeling, albeit cheap and easy.

I love Sonic '06. Closest thing we're gonna get to a Sonic Adventure 3 for a long long time. I love playing with the physics engine. I never understood people's gripes about the glitches. It's like they never played a 3D Sonic. The one I remember having the fewest was Heroes, and god that game, blegh.

Offline OBJECTION MAN

• Neo Arcadian
    • View Profile
Reply #57 on: August 20, 2012, 05:14:14 PM
But it's not as awful as everybody makes it seem.

You're right; It's worse.

TWITCH   ➧ TWITTER   ➧ DISCORD   ➧ MY GAMES

Knockout Mondays
Experimental day: Fighting game engine project Live Gamedev (8PM - 10 PM EST)

WIP Wednesdays
Hamster Drop Gold Edition Live Gamedev (8PM - 10 PM EST)

Weekend Game Hangout
Marc, Amber, & Friends (Saturday Evening EST)

Offline Ladd Spencer

• Neo Arcadian
    • View Profile
Reply #58 on: August 20, 2012, 09:01:42 PM
What's better? Secret Rings? Black Knight? Unleashed? Generations? I dunno what pisses me off more, the constant gameplay changes, or the lackluster 2.5D parts that they're hanging on for dear life by.

Though I will say the on-rails parts aren't awful, but they sure don't compare to the difficult nature of the running sequences in '06.

Offline Flame

• The obsessive
  • RPM Soldier
    • View Profile
Reply #59 on: August 20, 2012, 09:11:29 PM
>Comparing Sonic 06 to Unleashed and Generations

Please dont do this.

Offline Ladd Spencer

• Neo Arcadian
    • View Profile
Reply #60 on: August 20, 2012, 09:27:18 PM
Unleashed? The running parts were fun, but the problem was you had to trudge through those awful watered-down DMC sequences. I never understood people that like DMC anyway, but it was a much worse version.

Generations? I didn't even try the new stages. I'm sure they're fun. The 2.5D parts were on par with that turd of a Sonic 4. Some of my friends say they improved Sonic 4 for the next episode, but I find that difficult to believe.

Offline Flame

• The obsessive
  • RPM Soldier
    • View Profile
Reply #61 on: August 21, 2012, 01:31:57 AM
Don't be dishin' on mah man the Werehog. The concept is ridiculous Ill give you that, and even incorrectly named, (Were means man, not wolf, so Werehog would literally translate to "Manhog")

But it's gameplay was well done, and I pretty much enjoyed it, and would have enjoyed it more if only for the battle music interrupting ever 3 minutes when I am sighted by an enemy.

If you play the Wii/PS2 version, then you can gripe on about it, since that WAS pretty bad, although the daytime segments were "ok".

Generations was really [tornado fang]ing fun, (save the final boss which they REALLY dropped the ball on) but suffers from what I feel is a lack of content. it feels too short for what it is, and could very well have had far more stages and bosses to fill the game and maybe provide for some more interaction between the Classic and Modern eras, for example, things like Classic Knuckles, would have been appreciated, or just plain more interaction between Modern and Classic Sonic. For an anniversary game which encompasses Sonic's life and history, it was kinda lacking. But other than that the gameplay was top notch, and while Classic Sonic was a bit overpowered, (DAT SPINDASH) he controlled pretty damn close to how he used to. HARDLY comparable to Sonic 4's dimps bullshit.

And Modern Sonic plays pretty much like he did in Unleashed and Colors, little difference.

Speaking of which, you forgot to mention Colors, which after the split opinions over Unleashed, managed to totally unify the fanbase in agreement that Sega was finally starting to get it right.
As for 4 ep. 2, from what ive seen, they have definitely improved, I mean, it isnt nearly Classic sonic yet, but it's certainly a far better attempt than Ep. 1 was. Even the areas and music were better.

Offline Ladd Spencer

• Neo Arcadian
    • View Profile
Reply #62 on: August 21, 2012, 02:17:47 AM
I did play the Wii one. I assume the 360 one is better?

I completely forgot about Colors. I oughtta check it out. I bet it's pretty cheap by now.

Offline Phi

• RPM Knight
    • View Profile
Reply #63 on: August 21, 2012, 02:19:54 AM
No, the Werehog gameplay is [parasitic bomb]. Made even worse by the horrid framerate.

Generations was actually fun, not to mention the orgasmic selection of old songs. Though I hate Seaside Hill (Classic and Modern) with a passion, and loathe about 80% of the missions, which would've been fine if they were optional.

Offline Ladd Spencer

• Neo Arcadian
    • View Profile
Reply #64 on: August 21, 2012, 03:13:23 AM
I always found it funny how much [parasitic bomb] certain Sonic games get. Like Shadow the Hedgehog. Ridiculous concept, not a great game, but fun when I played it. And the alternate routes are just that, alternate. If you wanna just run the [tornado fang] to the ring you can. It's a glorious concept Sega should put into action more often.

Remember the first time you played SA2? Weren't you pissed at the Eggman/Tails levels? I mean, I grew to like them, but god damn all I wanted to do was run fast.

Offline Treleus

• B-Class Hunter
    • View Profile
Reply #65 on: August 21, 2012, 03:42:15 AM
I'm also in the majority minority that rather enjoyed the Werehog stages, sans the annoying fight music. It was fun to be all Stretch Armstrong throughout the stage, throwing [parasitic bomb] at enemies and enemies at [parasitic bomb] and pounding things into the ground or swinging around. A rather fun romp, but marred with average level design and the awfully repetitive brawls.

Offline Flame

• The obsessive
  • RPM Soldier
    • View Profile
Reply #66 on: August 21, 2012, 03:44:57 AM
I did play the Wii one. I assume the 360 one is better?
Only thing the Wii/PS2 version has going for it is a pretty neat Eggmanland (Day) stage, and the spindash when you boost into a dash panel, and the fact you can charge up a spindash to get a free boost before it says "GO!"

The Night/Day ratio is also totally [tornado fang]'d in the Wii/PS2 version, with an unhealthy serving of Werehog, all day erry day.

The 360/PS3 version has a more balanced ratio. Eggmanland is a total clusterfuck mix of both however, with Day and Night segments strewn throughout the massive ass level.

the Wii/PS2 version also had 2 whole areas cut from it, with Africa(Maizuri) just a boss fight, and New York(Empire City) just completely missing.

Unleashed HD is definitely worth a try IMO. rent it if you are unsure, but at least try it, it's much MUCH better than the other version, which I think was handled by dimps.
I completely forgot about Colors. I oughtta check it out. I bet it's pretty cheap by now.
It's pretty worth it. This time arround, the choice gimmick is really almost entirely optional save for a few spots, and really act more like over glorified power ups, and are presented as such.

Offline OBJECTION MAN

• Neo Arcadian
    • View Profile
Reply #67 on: August 21, 2012, 05:19:12 AM
What's better? Secret Rings? Black Knight? Unleashed? Generations?

Bad Sonic games do not decrease X7's low quality.

TWITCH   ➧ TWITTER   ➧ DISCORD   ➧ MY GAMES

Knockout Mondays
Experimental day: Fighting game engine project Live Gamedev (8PM - 10 PM EST)

WIP Wednesdays
Hamster Drop Gold Edition Live Gamedev (8PM - 10 PM EST)

Weekend Game Hangout
Marc, Amber, & Friends (Saturday Evening EST)

Offline Protoman Blues

• RPM Knight
  • Searching for Wanda
    • View Profile
Reply #68 on: August 21, 2012, 07:26:49 AM

At least you don't have to unlock the main [tornado fang]ing character of the series in any of those games...  B(

Offline Ladd Spencer

• Neo Arcadian
    • View Profile
Reply #69 on: August 21, 2012, 08:59:05 PM
I was comparing them to Sonic '06.

At least you don't have to unlock the main [tornado fang]ing character of the series in any of those games...  B(
But X was too sad to fight lol

Offline Nexus

• is one random son of a
  • SA-Class Hunter
  • No one ever said all Reploids were smart.
    • View Profile
Reply #70 on: August 22, 2012, 03:27:23 AM
Honestly, every game has issues, most just bandwagon on Sonic '06 because it was rushed to Christmas and technically an unfinished game, resulting in many, many issues; they took that, the load times, and the bad story and accentuated the negatives way out of proportion. If a glitch happened, it'd be comparable to how ProtonJon's LP of Superman 64 would be counted against the game along with everything else. I hated the game myself, but mainly because it didn't feel right to me rather than 'holy [parasitic bomb] glitches', and just seemed off the entire time. Also mach speed sections. (Then again, this is also opinion, so sorry if I seem like i'm lumping in everyone who hates Sonic '06 together; I just see a lot of people pretty much state 'glitches', 'story', or 'loading times' as the problems and often seem like they only watched the infamous Pokecapn LP of the game instead.)

On-topic, X4 is probably mainly gushed over due to nostalgia, but that doesn't mean it's a poor-quality title or anything. Takes the formula of the three games before it, tries to step it up a notch and doesn't quite hit all the targets. Weird boss balancing, mostly seen in Final Weapon, like the General with Zero and the fact that one form of Final Sigma is harmless, but the other form can be a [tornado fang]ing nightmare for either character; a larger emphasis on story that shafts X a bit for Zero, give or take the opinions on the matter; and inconsistent stage design (the Rider level for Stingray was a full two-parter, yet Storm Owl gets one moderate level part and then the second part is less than a minute in length if you can beat the miniboss fast enough; Final Weapon, again, is also a very weird design).

The soundtrack is something I can remember, and I prefer the game, in some aspects, over X5 as it just feels more polished than its sequel, but at the same time the game just feels very different from every other entry, even with X5 & X6 continuing gameplay-wise from X4. Kind of like how X2 and X3 always felt strange compared to X1.

Offline Ladd Spencer

• Neo Arcadian
    • View Profile
Reply #71 on: August 22, 2012, 03:56:12 AM
Honestly, every game has issues, most just bandwagon on Sonic '06 because it was rushed to Christmas and technically an unfinished game, resulting in many, many issues; they took that, the load times, and the bad story and accentuated the negatives way out of proportion. If a glitch happened, it'd be comparable to how ProtonJon's LP of Superman 64 would be counted against the game along with everything else. I hated the game myself, but mainly because it didn't feel right to me rather than 'holy [parasitic bomb] glitches', and just seemed off the entire time. Also mach speed sections. (Then again, this is also opinion, so sorry if I seem like i'm lumping in everyone who hates Sonic '06 together; I just see a lot of people pretty much state 'glitches', 'story', or 'loading times' as the problems and often seem like they only watched the infamous Pokecapn LP of the game instead.)
The load times were awful, and it's such a pity they didn't either take their time or get their work done in time. The scope of the (albeit a tad ridiculous) story was crazy though. I remember having no idea where the plot was going or when the game was going to end (in a good way) when Eggman sends Team Sonic to the future.

On-topic, X4 is probably mainly gushed over due to nostalgia, but that doesn't mean it's a poor-quality title or anything. Takes the formula of the three games before it, tries to step it up a notch and doesn't quite hit all the targets. Weird boss balancing, mostly seen in Final Weapon, like the General with Zero and the fact that one form of Final Sigma is harmless, but the other form can be a [tornado fang]ing nightmare for either character; a larger emphasis on story that shafts X a bit for Zero, give or take the opinions on the matter; and inconsistent stage design (the Rider level for Stingray was a full two-parter, yet Storm Owl gets one moderate level part and then the second part is less than a minute in length if you can beat the miniboss fast enough; Final Weapon, again, is also a very weird design).
Zero's boss' difficulty doesn't bother me too much, but I always felt he loses out not getting to fight Double, though Iris tugged at the heartstrings (which was most easily swallowed when I was younger, when the voice acting was blindly accepted by me), and did have the neat gimmick of forcing you to not fight like a madman.

As for boss balancing, how about Web Spider hardly being worth beating with his weakness? I remember discovering that later, and it just never making sense to me to not beat him first. Besides, without his weapon X can't practically get anywhere.

As for Zero, we all know that Kuenzan (sp?) is the biggest gamebreaker since Metal Blade, and it even comes with the double-jump. Man, I remember when I first learned to turn around, and that was it. You practically prance through the stages.

The soundtrack is something I can remember, and I prefer the game, in some aspects, over X5 as it just feels more polished than its sequel, but at the same time the game just feels very different from every other entry, even with X5 & X6 continuing gameplay-wise from X4. Kind of like how X2 and X3 always felt strange compared to X1.
X2 & X3 suffer from due to the double buster making X clunky. The power isn't worth it, especially with X3's buster.

X6 manages to hold on, IMO, due to the insane difficulty of not losing any reploids. I've said it before, but it's a game that shines when you're just about to the brink of being bored completely as a seasoned player.

Offline Flame

• The obsessive
  • RPM Soldier
    • View Profile
Reply #72 on: August 22, 2012, 04:13:57 AM
Despite the Stock Charge being pretty much forgotten, (everyone loves that Plasma Shot,) I still think the idea was pretty novel. I mean, IMO it was the only logical step up from the Double Buster, which gives you two charge shots- a Buster that just lets you outright store a few charge shots and shoot them at your leisure. But it felt like, I dunno, it could have been done better? Sometimes I just want to shoot a charge shot, but the mechanic if I recall, doesnt allow you to just charge and fire, because it has to stock it first. Something which made it a bit of a hassle.

Offline Ladd Spencer

• Neo Arcadian
    • View Profile
Reply #73 on: August 22, 2012, 04:25:10 AM
I wanna say you get two for the same amount of charge time, but you have to manually fire it, which can go off to slowly sometimes. At least you can keep dashing as you fire though.

Offline Protoman Blues

• RPM Knight
  • Searching for Wanda
    • View Profile
Reply #74 on: August 22, 2012, 04:57:55 AM
X2 & X3 suffer from due to the double buster making X clunky. The power isn't worth it, especially with X3's buster.

X3's Double Buster shot had a delay if you didn't want to create the giant one, but there was nothing clunky about X2's. It was so fast.