X4 is really overrated

zuschzero · 39687

Offline Flame

• The obsessive
  • RPM Soldier
    • View Profile
Reply #100 on: October 20, 2012, 07:47:44 AM
The Boss rush? yeah the Gateway station was pretty cool. Especially how they make you think, "Oh right, Boss rematches... Sigma Fight... ENDGAME TIME!" then they pull the "lolnope, its a fake, He's not dead yet" and have you go one more stage.

Ill admit that was structured nicely. Though When you think about it, there's really only 2 final stages, with a small Boss Rematch area inbetween them. I think X8 might just have the least number of final stages in the X series...

...When Larry the reploid accountant goes maverick of his own accord, he's certainly formidable during tax season, but he isn't going to provide X the challenge needed to make him grow as a warrior and reach his potential.

Offline OBJECTION MAN

• Neo Arcadian
    • View Profile
Reply #101 on: October 20, 2012, 03:42:22 PM
I honestly prefer X7.

Congratulations. Your opinions have now lost all credibility.

TWITCH   ➧ TWITTER   ➧ DISCORD   ➧ MY GAMES

Knockout Mondays
Experimental day: Fighting game engine project Live Gamedev (8PM - 10 PM EST)

WIP Wednesdays
Hamster Drop Gold Edition Live Gamedev (8PM - 10 PM EST)

Weekend Game Hangout
Marc, Amber, & Friends (Saturday Evening EST)

Offline Flame

• The obsessive
  • RPM Soldier
    • View Profile
Reply #102 on: October 20, 2012, 04:53:56 PM
Well to be fair, X7 feels more like a traditional X game than X8. MUCH more.

...When Larry the reploid accountant goes maverick of his own accord, he's certainly formidable during tax season, but he isn't going to provide X the challenge needed to make him grow as a warrior and reach his potential.

Offline Karasai♪

• Absolutely Fabulous.
  • SA-Class Hunter
    • View Profile
Reply #103 on: October 20, 2012, 07:17:04 PM
I liked X8 and thought X7 was decent, X6 is the only game that's hard for me to like due to the dreaded level design

I think both X8 and X7's soundtrack are amazing.

Offline OBJECTION MAN

• Neo Arcadian
    • View Profile
Reply #104 on: October 20, 2012, 07:35:45 PM
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gnSQItdHIfM[/youtube]

NUFF SAID

Knockout Mondays

WIP Wednesdays

Weekend Game Hangout

Offline Flame

• The obsessive
  • RPM Soldier
    • View Profile
Reply #105 on: October 20, 2012, 08:00:46 PM
Not ALL of X8's tracks are bad. Jakob is one of the good ones, (and the small bit of "elevator music" style at the beginning is genius) along with Copy Sigma, Lumine 2nd, Vile, the Capsule theme, and the Gateway Station theme. A lot of the others are painfully forgettable though, or just sound real generic rock like.

maybe I just don't like the kind of guitars they used. Instrumentation is a pretty big thing, and it's the difference between Sonic 4's Intro stage sounding like total ass, or with genesis instruments, actually sounding pretty damn good.

Offline Karasai♪

• Absolutely Fabulous.
  • SA-Class Hunter
    • View Profile
Reply #106 on: October 20, 2012, 09:34:54 PM
Also these
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lW7X5hNXyHo[/youtube]

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=engMW1hSSkI[/youtube]

Offline VixyNyan

• Kind & Generous Fluffy Pillow~
  • RPM Ecchi Princess
  • ♪ Vixylicious Nya Nya~ ♪
    • View Profile
    • Rockman Perfect Memories
Reply #107 on: October 21, 2012, 02:27:10 AM
XD that image

Nintendo 3DS Friend Code: 3480-2506-4200
[DeviantArt|Twitch.tv|Youtube|Fan Work|WiiVC|Character File]
Rock10: Ranking. Rock9: AC, EA, SS, Challenge, Ranking.
(c) Sky Child~                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                         

Offline Flame

• The obsessive
  • RPM Soldier
    • View Profile
Reply #108 on: October 21, 2012, 02:40:07 AM
Very familiar, isn't it. It's hillarious how those are still floating around.

Offline Ladd Spencer

• Neo Arcadian
  • Blow up! We want to blow up this area.
    • View Profile
Reply #109 on: October 21, 2012, 03:09:48 AM
I liked X8 and thought X7 was decent, X6 is the only game that's hard for me to like due to the dreaded level design
The dreaded level design is what keeps me coming back, oddly enough. It's damned hard.

I think both X8 and X7's soundtrack are amazing.
Ironically, and I think we can agree on this, X6' soundtrack is much better than X7's and X8's.

FEELS  ;^;Which has the massive scrotums?

Offline Protoman Blues

• Green Lantern of Sector 1337
  • RPM Knight
  • Searching for Wanda
    • View Profile
Reply #110 on: October 21, 2012, 03:17:48 AM
Well to be fair, X7 feels more like a traditional X game than X8. MUCH more.

Except for the nontraditional aspect of not starting with the main character of the series.

Offline Sakura Leic

• PB's Egoprentice and Weapon's Shack Owner
  • RPM Soldier
  • Don't make me mess you up
    • View Profile
Reply #111 on: October 21, 2012, 03:20:38 AM
Except for the nontraditional aspect of not starting with the main character of the series.
Honestly this is the only argument I need to never play X7.

Current playthrough: Chrono Trigger and God Eater Ressurection

Offline Ladd Spencer

• Neo Arcadian
    • View Profile
Reply #112 on: October 21, 2012, 03:41:38 AM
Umm excuse me but Zero is the main character of the series.

Offline Sakura Leic

• PB's Egoprentice and Weapon's Shack Owner
  • RPM Soldier
  • Don't make me mess you up
    • View Profile
Reply #113 on: October 21, 2012, 03:58:59 AM
But it's call Megaman X.

Current playthrough: Chrono Trigger and God Eater Ressurection

Offline VixyNyan

• Kind & Generous Fluffy Pillow~
  • RPM Ecchi Princess
  • ♪ Vixylicious Nya Nya~ ♪
    • View Profile
    • Rockman Perfect Memories
Reply #114 on: October 21, 2012, 04:07:24 AM

Nintendo 3DS Friend Code: 3480-2506-4200
[DeviantArt|Twitch.tv|Youtube|Fan Work|WiiVC|Character File]
Rock10: Ranking. Rock9: AC, EA, SS, Challenge, Ranking.
(c) Sky Child~                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                         

Offline Ladd Spencer

• Neo Arcadian
    • View Profile
Reply #115 on: October 21, 2012, 04:23:20 AM
But he is. Inafune said it himself. Every game revolves around him. He's literally the central focus of every game until Axl takes the limelight.

X1? It's about Zero being radical and dying.

X2? Wily attempts to rebuild Zero and have him kill X, but is foiled.

X3? I actually have no idea what's canon with X3. Either Zero does the thing with his saber and the "cure", or X takes his saber and kicks ass. It's still about him. X is supposed to rely on his assistance the whole time, right?

X4-X6 are so blatantly about Zero I won't even go into detail.

And what happens in X7? Zero meets the new character and develops the first relationship with him.

Lord of the Rings is a single book, regardless of what happened after it was written by the marketers. What makes this any different?

Offline Karasai♪

• Absolutely Fabulous.
  • SA-Class Hunter
    • View Profile
Reply #116 on: October 21, 2012, 04:28:03 AM
also i forgot this ;D
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jGzPj51wFgM&feature=channel&list=UL[/youtube]

Ironically, and I think we can agree on this, X6' soundtrack is much better than X7's and X8's.

no

X7 has the second best Boss theme in the series. X5 in first place.

Offline Hypershell

• needs DRAGONITE POWER!
  • Legendary Hero
  • Steel in Zee Head
    • View Profile
    • Get equipped with Hyper's DA
Reply #117 on: October 21, 2012, 05:46:50 AM
...I don't think my brain can process that statement unless I assume you're talking about one of the special boss fights.  X5's regular boss theme is the standard against which all audio torture is measured.

The X franchise would not recover UNTIL THE LAST GAME IN THE SERIES, when we finally got the unfettered awesomeness that our heroes have lacked for so long.
Considering how god-awful the story (not to mention the power-up and ranking systems in general) was with their first attempted "last game in the series", I wouldn't put much weight on that theory.

But he is. Inafune said it himself. Every game revolves around him.
...he's not wrong, you know.  I mean, Inafune's idea of finality is, "Kill Zero and nobody will care what happens to the blue guy."

Honestly this is the only argument I need to never play X7.
For God's sake, people, borrow somebody's memory card if you're that desperate.  It is absolutely impossible to "miss" X, and he carries into New Game Plus.  The only reason you DON'T start the game with him is because if you did, nobody in their right mind would go near Axl.  That and his charged shot is INSANELY powerful.

If you're going to avoid X7, avoid it for X's whining.  Or the level design.  Or the fact that 90% of the game's attacks are improperly balanced in one of the two gameplay modes.

Also on DeviantArt, Rumble, DLive.tv, and the Fediverse (@freespeechextremist.com and @bae.st)

Offline Flame

• The obsessive
  • RPM Soldier
    • View Profile
Reply #118 on: October 21, 2012, 05:56:30 AM
Im surprised they didnt make Axl a rapid fire shooter from the start. He really was just X minus a charged shot. X8 did Axl SO much better. but then again, they couldnt really do multi directional shooting in X7 like X8, could they?

Also, X7's boss theme? good? Only the SNES remixes sounds good. X7 is one of the worst. I dont mind X5's boss theme either. And while I don't hate X6's, it does sound terribly passive. Although id have to say X3 has the worst boss theme- it's literally a 10 second short loop. The boss intro is better than the boss music even.

Offline Hypershell

• needs DRAGONITE POWER!
  • Legendary Hero
  • Steel in Zee Head
    • View Profile
Reply #119 on: October 21, 2012, 05:59:13 AM
Im surprised they didnt make Axl a rapid fire shooter from the start. He really was just X minus a charged shot. X8 did Axl SO much better. but then again, they couldnt really do multi directional shooting in X7 like X8, could they?
Auto-lock.  No point.

The only thing Axl really has over X is his alternate primary weapons.  G-Launcher was pretty sweet.  That's about it.

Also on DeviantArt, Rumble, DLive.tv, and the Fediverse (@freespeechextremist.com and @bae.st)

Offline Flame

• The obsessive
  • RPM Soldier
    • View Profile
Reply #120 on: October 21, 2012, 06:07:51 AM
If I recall, most of Axl's weapons were the same as X's.

Offline Hypershell

• needs DRAGONITE POWER!
  • Legendary Hero
  • Steel in Zee Head
    • View Profile
Reply #121 on: October 21, 2012, 06:22:10 AM
The special attacks were all the same, yes, but he also got alternate guns from a select few bosses that would modify his normal attack.

Then in X8 they decided to make that the template for ALL of his stolen boss abilities.

Offline Ladd Spencer

• Neo Arcadian
    • View Profile
Reply #122 on: October 21, 2012, 06:28:20 AM
also i forgot this ;D
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jGzPj51wFgM&feature=channel&list=UL[/youtube]
...I don't think my brain can process that statement unless I assume you're talking about one of the special boss fights.  X5's regular boss theme is the standard against which all audio torture is measured.
Also, X7's boss theme? good? Only the SNES remixes sounds good. X7 is one of the worst. I dont mind X5's boss theme either. And while I don't hate X6's, it does sound terribly passive. Although id have to say X3 has the worst boss theme- it's literally a 10 second short loop. The boss intro is better than the boss music even.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lbz8ti8JGCs[/youtube]
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2YvuN2I2v4s[/youtube]

Imagine if Axl could stop in mid-air, rapid-fire, and lock-on... That sounds really, really broken. In a very fun way.

For God's sake, people, borrow somebody's memory card if you're that desperate.  It is absolutely impossible to "miss" X, and he carries into New Game Plus.  The only reason you DON'T start the game with him is because if you did, nobody in their right mind would go near Axl.  That and his charged shot is INSANELY powerful.
My favorite part of the game.

The special attacks were all the same, yes, but he also got alternate guns from a select few bosses that would modify his normal attack.
My second favorite part of the game was Axl's weapons.

Or the level design.
What's wrong with the level design?

Offline Hypershell

• needs DRAGONITE POWER!
  • Legendary Hero
  • Steel in Zee Head
    • View Profile
Reply #123 on: October 21, 2012, 07:09:14 AM
It's mainly the 2D levels, which with the exception of Stonekong, appear to have been done by poorly trained monkeys.

They made an ENTIRE STAGE out of the winding staircase gimmick from X4/X5.  How do you excuse that?

Offline OBJECTION MAN

• Neo Arcadian
    • View Profile
Reply #124 on: October 21, 2012, 08:15:50 AM

Super opposite day.

Knockout Mondays

WIP Wednesdays

Weekend Game Hangout