Yoshinori Ono's Hospitalization - And the Fate of Megaman?

OBJECTION MAN · 14544

Offline OBJECTION MAN

• Neo Arcadian
    • View Profile
Reply #25 on: June 14, 2012, 05:05:02 AM
I want to believe that the kind of outside pressure that got SF4 going can happen to Legends 3.  God knows we've been pestering them long enough, on every avenue possible, and if they have *ANY* delusions of salvaging their relationship with Mega Man's fanbase, I don't see how else they intend to do it.

But all SF4 had going for it was Ono pestering them from the inside. It was a solo thing. Fan input didn't mean [parasitic bomb]. We need a big voice on the inside, like Inafune was.

TWITCH   ➧ TWITTER   ➧ DISCORD   ➧ MY GAMES

Knockout Mondays
Experimental day: Fighting game engine project Live Gamedev (8PM - 10 PM EST)

WIP Wednesdays
Hamster Drop Gold Edition Live Gamedev (8PM - 10 PM EST)

Weekend Game Hangout
Marc, Amber, & Friends (Saturday Evening EST)

Offline Gaia

• RPM's only Card Collector.
  • Legendary Hero
  • Yep.
    • View Profile
    • YT Profile Page
Reply #26 on: June 14, 2012, 05:46:26 AM
...Even if it means convincing Inti to get on their knees and BEG Capcom to do it?  XD

Workshop/DA/YT/Photobucket なにかんがえてるの!?
So its about ass now huh? EVEN THE ASS HAS 'EXCEEDED'!

One mention of LEGENDS and everyone goes batshit.  :\

Yep, every time when someone mentions that game people get energized for an apparent reason whatsoever. It's like this everywhere else, trust me.

It got really messy to find my sprite and comic topic, so it's in my sig.

Offline The Great Gonzo

• Master's Unit
    • View Profile
Reply #27 on: June 14, 2012, 06:58:58 AM
I'm on the fence about the validity of the comments screencapped in this post, but...Capcom must burn.

I know the Japanese workplace is unbelievably stressful, but surely someone would've at least tried to investigate Capcom by now?

Offline Sigma Zero X

• Cool Mirage Diver
  • Robot Master
  • "Here We Go!"
    • View Profile
    • Sigma Zero X's Mega Man X Videos
Reply #28 on: June 14, 2012, 08:00:41 AM
I really have respect for Ono for directing great games and being a very good person with the fans.

With that being said, I believe that there are three factors contributing to the bad situations that Capcom is going through right now, yet Capcom is still alive.

1.  The ever-changing video game industry, especially with changing tastes and the unpredicatable nature of the consumers as most pointed out in many ways in this thread.  Consumers used to buy Mega Man games in the past.  Now gamers usually buy something like Call of Duty, Resident Evil, or some really hyped violent game with a lot of action.  You would think that some of these games would have died by now, but they are still active (I am looking at you Call of Duty).  This factor contributed to Capcom's change in strategy, which brings me to problem number 2:

2.  Capcom.  Cancelling Mega Man Legends 3 while claiming to give it some opportunities to shine and develop through the Prototype earlier on really made me lose respect for them.  In addition, most of their damage control skills suck.  Only Ono and Seth do damage control and fan communication real well.  Sven is fair at best.  And as much as I like the Tatsunoko vs. Capcom games, Nitsuma just sucks at staying in touch with the fans.  Period.  However, Capcom is only part of the problem.  My main concern in with number 3.

3.  The snitches who actually still buy Capcom games, even after everything that Capcom has done for the past several years, especially with the things Mega Man related.  Don't believe me, see the following link and be sure to look at page 14 at the PDF file:

http://www.capcom.co.jp/ir/english/data/pdf/result/2011/full/result_2011_full_01.pdf

I don't see how this company can still have a net income after all of the backlash against Capcom for pretty much anything, especially the negativity with Mega Man, for the past TWO fiscal years.  With a positive and high net income in the financials and decent balances, something tells me that there are still people who actually buy Capcom games.  The audience contributing to Capcom's profitability is probably one of the following:

1.  Those who still play Resident Evil or Street Fighter casually, especially the latter with Online Play and the Evo Championships.
2.  Those who still play Capcom fighters religiously for Evo (Marvel vs. Capcom players, I am looking at you.)
3.  Those who use Ryu, Ken, and/or Akuma in pretty much every Street Fighter game.  You think that after all of these years of Street Fighters out this trend would stop.  Probably not.
4.  The new audiences that Capcom caters to, especially the Call of Duty crowd.

It seems that Capcom will be around for a while.  Remember that Capcom is not Atari or Midway.  We'll just have to see what happens in the future. 

"Well.  This is just delightful!" - Marino, from Mega Man X Command Mission

Offline Phi

• RPM Knight
    • View Profile
Reply #29 on: June 14, 2012, 04:32:46 PM
I'm on the fence about the validity of the comments screencapped in this post, but...Capcom must burn.

I know the Japanese workplace is unbelievably stressful, but surely someone would've at least tried to investigate Capcom by now?

The same situation happened in SEGA (of Japan), back during Sonic X-treme's development. Only Capcom isn't as severe. People fighting one another and threatening to commit suicide. A few staff members in critical condition because of that stress. All because of SEGA's harsh working conditions, immaturity and disobedience to their fellow partners.

Offline Flame

• The obsessive
  • RPM Soldier
    • View Profile
Reply #30 on: June 14, 2012, 06:40:53 PM
The situation behind X-treme was truly a shame.

...When Larry the reploid accountant goes maverick of his own accord, he's certainly formidable during tax season, but he isn't going to provide X the challenge needed to make him grow as a warrior and reach his potential.

Offline Rin

• The Hate Machine
  • Master's Unit
  • WORD
    • View Profile
Reply #31 on: June 15, 2012, 12:46:08 PM
The same situation happened in SEGA (of Japan), back during Sonic X-treme's development. Only Capcom isn't as severe. People fighting one another and threatening to commit suicide. A few staff members in critical condition because of that stress. All because of SEGA's harsh working conditions, immaturity and disobedience to their fellow partners.

Developers: Can I haz NiGHTS Engine?
Yuji Naka: No. Never. [tornado fang] you.
Developers: D :

Offline OBJECTION MAN

• Neo Arcadian
    • View Profile
Reply #32 on: June 15, 2012, 10:47:09 PM
I don't believe the pictured posts are legit. They don't correspond to Ono's medical diagnosis. Not the type, or where it happened. It also seems very strangely written, and not in the "I don't know English well" kind of way, but more of a "faux engrish" kind of way.

TWITCH   ➧ TWITTER   ➧ DISCORD   ➧ MY GAMES

Knockout Mondays
Experimental day: Fighting game engine project Live Gamedev (8PM - 10 PM EST)

WIP Wednesdays
Hamster Drop Gold Edition Live Gamedev (8PM - 10 PM EST)

Weekend Game Hangout
Marc, Amber, & Friends (Saturday Evening EST)

Offline Mirby

• RPM's Krillin
  • Legendary Hero
  • KINGDOM HEARTS IS WAAAAAAA
    • View Profile
    • Mirby Studios
Reply #33 on: June 15, 2012, 10:55:26 PM
I don't believe the pictured posts are legit. They don't correspond to Ono's medical diagnosis. Not the type, or where it happened. It also seems very strangely written, and not in the "I don't know English well" kind of way, but more of a "faux engrish" kind of way.
I was thinking that myself, honestly...

OH [parasitic bomb] IM USING LINK AND I ACCIDENTALLY FINAL SMASHED A CUCCO OH GOD HELP
Just enjoy yourself, don't complain about everything

Offline Police Girl

• A total qt
  • Legendary Hero
  • cannons are cool i guess
    • View Profile
Reply #34 on: June 18, 2012, 08:31:04 PM
Uuuum..

Bomberman: ACT ZERO, Sonic '06, and Banjo & Kazooie: Nuts & Bolts. Tell me those were good "revivals".

Err.

06 wasn't a revival, it was just another sequel in the series.
THPSHD is just the old game rebuilt for modern audiences/modern consoles, probably more of a Nostalgia pandering than revival.

Anyway, naturally this sets in stone that I'm not even bothering with Crapcom anymore. I ignore their games since all they release now are fighters, which I cannot stand.

Offline Hypershell

• needs DRAGONITE POWER!
  • Legendary Hero
  • Steel in Zee Head
    • View Profile
    • Get equipped with Hyper's DA
Reply #35 on: June 19, 2012, 04:08:06 AM
But all SF4 had going for it was Ono pestering them from the inside. It was a solo thing. Fan input didn't mean [parasitic bomb]. We need a big voice on the inside, like Inafune was.
Ono at least believes otherwise.  Is he right?  I don't know.  We all know Inafune had to make some VERY ballsy moves to get Lost Planet and Dead Rising out there, to the point of likely risking his job had the games failed.  I doubt Ono got quite that risky in his pursuit of SF4.

Also on DeviantArt, Rumble, DLive.tv, and the Fediverse (@freespeechextremist.com and @bae.st)

Offline Treleus

• B-Class Hunter
    • View Profile
Reply #36 on: June 20, 2012, 05:28:32 AM
Geez. I hope Ono doesn't last long enough with Capcom to endanger his health anymore.

Unless we want to start infiltrating the ranks of Capcom enough to influence how the whole system works, or build up pressure against Capcom of Japan's business practices from the outside, I don't see how we can help change things. In the case of Capcom going bankrupt, could you imagine them being bought out by the likes of EA or Activision? Yikes.

Anyways, it's going to take the likes of Ono and Inafune in order for the outside world to find out enough about Capcom to pressure them, or to diversify the company's portfolio.