Instrutilus' Generality

Instrutilus · 4613

Offline Instrutilus

• Cyberelf
    • View Profile
on: June 04, 2012, 04:06:27 PM
Hi, I'm Instrutilus. I'm new here, so I apologize in advance for anything I may do in the negative.

I'm a bit of a doodler, but people say I'm good. I'm also working on a fangame, there's a couple of things amongst the general doodles and sprites that are related, pretty obvious which. Another two are ideas from another project, Project: PetRock over on StC-O! forums. Still waiting on plots from people.

Offline Hiryu

• Capcom's Favorite futuristic ninja
  • B-Class Hunter
    • View Profile
Reply #1 on: June 04, 2012, 07:43:01 PM
I like the drawings and sprite work.

Offline Instrutilus

• Cyberelf
    • View Profile
Reply #2 on: June 05, 2012, 12:00:25 PM
Thank you, Hiryu, though may I inquire as to if there's anything I may to improve either in your opinion?

Offline KoiDrake

• SA-Class Hunter
    • View Profile
    • DeviantArt
Reply #3 on: June 05, 2012, 09:45:32 PM
All of your drawings are leaning to the right. It's a pretty common issue for beginners, and the only way to fix it is to keep drawing until you get it right. And Zero's detached hand is huuuuge, although I'd like to believe that was on purpose, but it still looks weird.

Can't really give any more crits than those, the sketches are okay, could be better if you showed different poses and characters, they all look kind of the same.

As for sprites, I'm not much of a spriter, so i can't crit on that properly, but there are a few things that could be improved more. Your attempts at the new Zero sprites have the feet screwed up, and as for X, the helmet looks pillow-shaded and lacks contrast. The perspective on Zero mugshot looks really weird too.

Welcome to the site btw!

Offline Instrutilus

• Cyberelf
    • View Profile
Reply #4 on: June 05, 2012, 11:25:00 PM
Yeah, they're concepts so I tend to draw them in that pose, as evident in other concepts I draw like Advanced Metal Sonic. I'm purposely limiting myself to Mega Man so I don't potentially break a rule...otherwise, I can manage other poses if necessary. Regardless, I shall try differing poses for my concepts ^^

Yeah, the huge hand was intentional: it's the X-style hand. As I said, I'm working on a fangame focusing on making a proper end to Mega Man X, X6Zero End didn't really cut it for me, so I've opted to end it properly. So if the X-style hand is being removed...
(Now I just need to figure out how to make the thing...)

As for the sprites, yeah, I know the perspective is off on the portrait. I haven't really changed the face, just added a blue around the eyes since the one-colour eyes aren't something I'm fond of but no worries, I'm working on it. For the other two, I shall get right to work.

And danke schoen, KoiDrake.

Offline Quickman

• Crystal Clod and
  • RPM Sorcerer
  • Classy clod
    • View Profile
    • B. Roth Arts
Reply #5 on: June 08, 2012, 05:29:08 AM
Ah, the right-leaning...  I may have a way to be able to fix that fairly quickly (as in, once you get into the habit, the problem resolves itself), but I need to know how you start a drawing.

Do you build the pose as a light sketch first?  Such as drawing a basic stick figure and then fleshing it out?  Or do you jump right into the finished linework?  If it's the latter, I suggest drawing a basic stick figure to finalize the pose first, and then drawing the finished linework.  This will help you spot and correct errors with the pose more easily, as you won't have as much to change as you would with starting with a finished drawing.

With this method, you'll be able to experiment with poses without having to draw a finished picture.  Let me find an example...

Here's a page from Drawing Comics the Marvel Way, a book that I highly recommend.

Note how the top set of sketches are loosely done, with little detail in the way of basic proportions.  Starting your drawing with a light sketch is a good habit to get into and it will help with the balance issue.

Here's another page with some more examples, including dynamic poses:

Hope that helps and welcome to the boards!

Offline Instrutilus

• Cyberelf
    • View Profile
Reply #6 on: November 08, 2012, 08:17:07 PM
Thanks. And sorry for the really long reply, depression and such. Plus side, gave me plenty of time to finish of a plot of an intended fangame once I either get someone's assistance or finally figure out the whole game making thing. Once I get an engine, then I can properly work on the sprites and general art.

Here's a bit of a preview, if anyone's interested in such a prospect...
(Also, figured out digital inking :L)

Posted on: October 20, 2012, 03:06:33
While I'd rather not make a new post for one thing, I'd rather not continue until I get an opinion:

Yey or ney? I'd rather do Final X Mega Man in 3D via Unity, but I'm the only one working on it, so gotta make do with the skills I have :L

Anyway, do I do the game in a x4 size or do I keep it at a 1x size?

Offline Treleus

• B-Class Hunter
    • View Profile
Reply #7 on: November 08, 2012, 09:26:41 PM
They're both good, but I prefer the 16-bit aesthetic. Zero's eyes in the X4 mugshot look too dead and sullen. Or maybe too serpentine is what I want to say. Other than that, very nice work.

Your project's pretty baller. Good basic concepts nailed down, good choice in using the Command Mission style, interesting end goals for the game, and sweet concept art to run with. I like it.

Offline Instrutilus

• Cyberelf
    • View Profile
Reply #8 on: November 08, 2012, 09:30:06 PM
Thank you very much. I've a lot more concepts at the ready, but I'm keeping that between me and whoever decides to give me a hand on this, mostly sine I'd like the endgame a surprise =P