An interview with Makoto Tomozawa, Mega Man/Legends series music composer

OKeijiDragon · 1891

Offline OKeijiDragon

• B-Class Hunter
    • View Profile
Brought to you by DASH Republic, an exclusive interview with Mega Man series composer Makoto Tomozawa, posted on March 18th.

http://www.dashrepublic.org/2012/03/18/exclusive-interview-with-makoto-tomozawa-dash-series-music-composer/

In the middle of summer last year, just around the time of the catastrophe, I had a chat with Makoto Tomozawa on Twitter, composer of several Mega Man titles, including Mega Man X, Mega Man 7, the two main Mega Man Legends entries (Tron Bonne was handled by another person with some cool talent).

This interview goes over those games, plus Resident Evil on PS1, up until the middle of DASH1's development. Unfortunately, we only stop at that point but we did got some cool info about his input into DASH1. Surprisingly, to me at least, he types very decent English.

Here are some highlights of the conversation.

- The Legends series are among his favorite games to have composed music for.
- Specifies which tracks he composed for Mega Man X1 and MM7's soundtrack.
- Calls out Mega Man X3 (PSX) Intro theme for being "unrefined."
- For Resident Evil, we talk about the ending theme, "Still Dawn."
- "...all of titles and tunes are just like my children."
- We briefly go over the music rights for Resident Evil.
- Capcom never knew about the infamous voice actors they hired for Resident Evil.
- Volnutt was planned to have his own theme music (Cleveland Rock asks about this as well).
- There was no special meaning behind MegaMan Juno's theme. It was made to be flashy.
- Capcom's perception in Legends 1's release.

I hope you get to enjoy this as much as I did having the pleasure speaking with him!

Offline Hiryu

• Capcom's Favorite futuristic ninja
  • B-Class Hunter
    • View Profile
Nice job at interviewing him. I am wondering about a certain part of the interview:

OKD: I understand. When Rockman DASH was being made, what sort of vision did the development team had for Rockman in 3D polygon graphics?

Tomozawa: Well, I’m not graphic designer so I don’t know about graphics.

OKD: Not really what I meant, but no matter.

What sort of response were you aiming for when you asked this?

Also, the unused piece of music for Megaman 7 reminds me of a credits roll theme.

Offline Night

• Master's Unit
    • View Profile

I figured he would have made the oversea's ending credits theme for X3 too. That always sounded like it belonged in a Legends game!