Mega Man Starbound - Galaxy's Champion

Yoku Man · 187534

Offline OBJECTION MAN

• Neo Arcadian
    • View Profile
Reply #400 on: June 15, 2012, 10:44:52 PM
Are the boxes something you can stand on? If so, they need selective highlighting added. If not, then they need to be de-contrasted.

TWITCH   ➧ TWITTER   ➧ DISCORD   ➧ MY GAMES

Knockout Mondays
Experimental day: Fighting game engine project Live Gamedev (8PM - 10 PM EST)

WIP Wednesdays
Hamster Drop Gold Edition Live Gamedev (8PM - 10 PM EST)

Weekend Game Hangout
Marc, Amber, & Friends (Saturday Evening EST)

Offline KoiDrake

• SA-Class Hunter
    • View Profile
    • DeviantArt
Reply #401 on: June 16, 2012, 12:47:11 AM
Hard to say exactly why, but the boxes don't look really Megaman-ish either.

Offline Yoku Man

• Robot Master of Yoku Blocks.
  • Resistance Member
  • "Don't Trust Your Eyes, Trust Mine."
    • View Profile
Reply #402 on: June 16, 2012, 01:37:15 AM
Remember folks, this thread is a joint community thread. I'd appreciate any help you give, opinions and such is welcome! Any of you folks wanna show me some cool possible alternatives for the crates looks? I was kinda proud that I managed to get that grainy look, but I also understand what you mean about not looking Mega Man-ish. Maybe wooden crates don't belong in the year 20XX, lol.

Offline RetroRespecter

• B-Class Hunter
    • View Profile
Reply #403 on: June 16, 2012, 01:41:40 AM
Can you at least try to make the wooden crates more Mega Man-like.

Offline N-Mario

• Video Game Veteran
  • SA-Class Hunter
  • Video Game Veteran
    • View Profile
    • N-Mario's Gaming Universe
Reply #404 on: June 16, 2012, 03:53:37 AM
If nothing comes up at the end, I might as well using the tile set in wily stage 1 from mm4. But with a bit of my own little level desgin. We'll see.

Offline Yoku Man

• Resistance Member
    • View Profile
Reply #405 on: June 16, 2012, 04:00:50 AM
If nothing comes up at the end, I might as well using the tile set in wily stage 1 from mm4. But with a bit of my own little level design. We'll see.

I'm sure I'll have something by the time you get to the point where you can code the 5th mid-way stage into the engine. I assume you're going to finish the first 4 stages first? Add the enemies, special platforms, etc? I take it the Hippo may become the first coded enemy if you try out his missiles? Then you could put in Getting Hurt, Energy Depletion and Death Animation into the engine.

Offline KoiDrake

• SA-Class Hunter
    • View Profile
    • DeviantArt
Reply #406 on: June 16, 2012, 06:44:19 AM
Maybe wooden crates don't belong in the year 20XX, lol.
As funny as it sounds, I think that could be the reason actually XD. Besides some very few natural materials (like rocks or plants), the rest are metalic things most of the time. I think it would look better with making some metalic containers, or if you want to keep the wood boxes, make them look a bit more advanced...somehow.

Offline MagVanisher

• Resistance Member
    • View Profile
Reply #407 on: June 16, 2012, 09:05:41 AM
I have a suggestion, N-Mario and Yoku Man. Could you make the height of the dialogue box lower so that there's more space when you're on the shop while having the status bar.

Offline Yoku Man

• Resistance Member
    • View Profile
Reply #408 on: June 16, 2012, 03:30:45 PM
I have a suggestion, N-Mario and Yoku Man. Could you make the height of the dialogue box lower so that there's more space when you're on the shop while having the status bar.

Actually me and NMario debated this for quite a while. I managed to convince him to keep it as it is for consistency's sake, so we keep the shop accurate to the Gameboy games. But that doesn't mean you have to do the same for your fangames. The Dialogue Box is essentially part of the BG and can be moved to where ever you wish it, shrunk to whatever size you require. In the end its where you place the text that matters.

Offline MagVanisher

• Resistance Member
    • View Profile
Reply #409 on: June 16, 2012, 04:24:50 PM
Okay, so it's up to the position of the text...

Still, is it possible to remove the status bar when in shop mode.

Offline Yoku Man

• Resistance Member
    • View Profile
Reply #410 on: June 16, 2012, 05:23:42 PM
Okay, so it's up to the position of the text...

Still, is it possible to remove the status bar when in shop mode.

That might be trickier, as the status bar needs to be there because usually you can browse your pause menu while in the shop, to see what you might need to recharge or buy.

Offline Gatuca

• A-Class Hunter
  • Sprite Doctor
    • View Profile
Reply #411 on: June 23, 2012, 07:34:59 PM
You Know what would be an Awesome Idea, that someone makes a Rockman World game based around the Robot Masters from the Fangames (or at the very least the ones that are legit or have chances or seeing the light of day).

[spoiler]Rockman World Idol Battles/Megaman Mania: The Super Villain Quad[/spoiler]

Here's My Facebook Account, Join the Megagirl R project http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100002211482262

if you want to know my skype account, send me a PM

Offline MagVanisher

• Resistance Member
    • View Profile
Reply #412 on: June 23, 2012, 08:59:12 PM
Um, Yoku Man... Regarding Ra Thor (if you're planning to include him on your fangame), are you planning to include his weapon to Mega Man's arsenal as a secret item?

Offline IQ-0

• Ice Queen Zero
  • Resistance Member
  • Friendship Advisory - Magical Content
    • View Profile
    • 1CC Gaming
Reply #413 on: June 25, 2012, 11:24:19 AM
You done Gamecube'd the controls.

Offline N-Mario

• Video Game Veteran
  • SA-Class Hunter
  • Video Game Veteran
    • View Profile
Reply #414 on: June 26, 2012, 03:48:24 AM
You done Gamecube'd the controls.

Yeah I think so too...

For the record, they are like this in my old engines as well. Not sure if it was done by accident or on purpose. Maybe I just feel comfortable with the controls like that. If its an issue with everyone, I can probably reverse them as they are now before final release. XD

Offline Cherrykorock

• Dr Light's other creation
  • SA-Class Hunter
  • Zero can divide by Zero.
    • View Profile
Reply #415 on: June 27, 2012, 05:03:14 PM
It took me longer than I thought and my scanner hates colors. But never theless here's my idea of Rock's upgraded armor. Nothing too drastic I hope.

Offline Raging-Banebou

• Merasmus sure loves his cornflakes!
  • Robot Master
  • The Trinity has deemed you... acceptable.
    • View Profile
Reply #416 on: June 27, 2012, 07:02:44 PM
Heh, almost reminds me of X from the Mega Man X series judging by his upgraded armour's appearance.

Nevertheless, it looks pretty good, Cherrykorock. I especially like the details on it.

Yuno Gasai: Living proof that yanderes are NOT meant to be messed with.

Offline Yoku Man

• Resistance Member
    • View Profile
Reply #417 on: June 27, 2012, 10:56:39 PM
Um, Yoku Man... Regarding Ra Thor (if you're planning to include him on your fangame), are you planning to include his weapon to Mega Man's arsenal as a secret item?

Although I had planned on having a Ra Thor cameo, I hadn't considered him as an included weapon to Mega Man's arsenal. Just what were his powers anyway? In Super Adventure Rockman, he has a zapping attack from his hand that kinda just drains and kills people in a horrible painful way. Wily says he has double the speed of Quick Man and three times more powerful than Hard Man.

It took me longer than I thought and my scanner hates colors. But never theless here's my idea of Rock's upgraded armor. Nothing too drastic I hope.

That is interesting. Most interesting. I hadn't pictured what the upgraded armour would look like until now. But of course, as the game develops, lets see if we can design even more potential armour, not wise to just have one attempt, a better one may come along or we'll realise that this is the better one down the road.... Who knows? Just make sure you keep designing guys... I'll do the same.

I have often pondered how would Mega Man look if his armour looked a bit like Duos in places. In the end I think I'll be calling his final armour upgrade the "Champion Armour" to go with the whole "Galaxy's Champion" working title I have at the moment. Theres hundreds of possibilities for armour, we could keep designing forever. But as long as it doesn't stray from Mega Man's original look, all the better. I think the biggest change we've seen of Mega Man's armour in the past was with his Rush Adaptor armours from MM6. Something similar to that would be cool for the Champion Armour.

Offline OBJECTION MAN

• Neo Arcadian
    • View Profile
Reply #418 on: June 28, 2012, 01:35:41 AM
You were expecting the scan to be something more like this?

TWITCH   ➧ TWITTER   ➧ DISCORD   ➧ MY GAMES

Knockout Mondays
Experimental day: Fighting game engine project Live Gamedev (8PM - 10 PM EST)

WIP Wednesdays
Hamster Drop Gold Edition Live Gamedev (8PM - 10 PM EST)

Weekend Game Hangout
Marc, Amber, & Friends (Saturday Evening EST)

Offline N-Mario

• Video Game Veteran
  • SA-Class Hunter
  • Video Game Veteran
    • View Profile
Reply #419 on: June 28, 2012, 03:18:35 AM
Looks like a mix of the X clones in MegaMan Zero, and X himself. Except less body armor off of X.

Offline RetroRespecter

• B-Class Hunter
    • View Profile
Reply #420 on: June 28, 2012, 04:24:42 AM
Why would Mega Man need an upgradable suit anyway?

Offline MagVanisher

• Resistance Member
    • View Profile
Reply #421 on: June 28, 2012, 05:48:14 AM

Me too! I mean, we already have X regarding the armor gimmick. And besides, it's gonna take a lot of sprite parts to build an armor unless you do the Xtreme approach where you show the complete armor set.

Offline KoiDrake

• SA-Class Hunter
    • View Profile
    • DeviantArt
Reply #422 on: June 28, 2012, 09:22:42 AM

It will be really hard to translate those details into the sprite though. And as for the armor subject, I liked the ones from Megaman 6/7 a lot, so as long as they are treated that way, and not like the X series where you have to collect each piece (I don't think that would fit on an 8bit Megaman for some reason) then all is good.

Offline Yoku Man

• Resistance Member
    • View Profile
Reply #423 on: June 28, 2012, 04:09:42 PM

Me too! I mean, we already have X regarding the armor gimmick. And besides, it's gonna take a lot of sprite parts to build an armor unless you do the Xtreme approach where you show the complete armor set.

It will be really hard to translate those details into the sprite though. And as for the armor subject, I liked the ones from Megaman 6/7 a lot, so as long as they are treated that way, and not like the X series where you have to collect each piece (I don't think that would fit on an 8bit Megaman for some reason) then all is good.

All good valid questions. Why would he even need an upgradable suit? Perhaps he doesn't. Thats why you're here folks to help discuss the potentials for the game. Remember I'm still brainstorming the specifics, nothing is finalised yet. I think if anything this armour will be a kind of reward/upgrade once you've proven yourself through most of the game. One thing Mega Man has never been able to do is fly. Rush Jet could provide that to an extent and he could rocket himself a little higher with the Rush Jet Adaptor. But he's never truly flown.

I'm currently liking the direction my brain is focusing on around Duo. To be Galaxy's Champion, Mega Man is going to have to end up with the same powers as Duo, the same resistance to the evil energy. The Champions Armour will grant him that once he's proven himself worthy of it. This will give him Duos strength and ability to fly.

I think ultimately, the simplest design is the greatest. We shouldn't try to move away from Mega Man's classic look. You do indeed need to consider how his sprite should look. I don't want to stray from altering the classic blue sprite too much.  We don't want any reminders of any other spin-offs. This is the classic Blue Bombers time to shine, no references to X or anything else would be welcome. We need to show some originality and respect here.

Which is why I agree what Koidrake says and stick to the type of armour look that 6/7 gave us. They seemed to only ever change the torso, shoulders, arms and back. The helmet and legs usually go untouched.

Take a look at the sprites for these power ups too, it shows how keeping his armour simple doesn't end up changing the classic look all that much. We need to think carefully about that when designing.

Posted on: June 28, 2012, 11:57:34 AM
Although art design has been my main focus so far for the game. I've also been considering the full potential of the soundtrack. I've done some research and discovered an awesome cartridge thats been made for the Gameboy, a custom made software called LSDJ. (Little Sound DJ) programmed by Johan Kotlinski. Its basically a four-track tracker that gives you access to the Gameboy's sound chip. People have made some awesome chip music with this software and I've managed to bring on board for this project two artists who are expert users of the program: AndaruGo and Saskrotch.

They both have YouTube Channels where they show off their talents, andaruGO even has a tutorial on how to use LSDJ:

http://www.youtube.com/user/andarugo
http://www.youtube.com/user/saskrotch

Here's some examples of the tunes they've done.

[youtube]Re_PxMPRUn0[/youtube] [youtube]S_M8KKBDb1Y[/youtube]
[youtube]AIjbyUS2MX4[/youtube]

So far Saskrotch has managed to tone down his remix of Bubble Man's stage and provide a usable version for "Mega Man World". Now I'm definately going to do a Bubble Man stage for the last 4 Robot Masters. Here's where you can hear the track: http://dl.dropbox.com/u/6320154/BubbleManLoop.wav

Offline Cherrykorock

• Dr Light's other creation
  • SA-Class Hunter
  • Zero can divide by Zero.
    • View Profile
Reply #424 on: June 28, 2012, 05:59:11 PM
As Yoku said, these points are all valid. I mean I have about 3 other designs but, they are more complex than this one. I can try playing around with the idea of Megaman with a Duo like torso and such? And no I wasn't thinking about the sprite at all. Just trying a design to see a good direction to go in. =D That scan looks a bit better but the issue is the scanner I bought was 5$ and has a very low color resolution to begin with. XD