Mega Man Starbound - Galaxy's Champion

Yoku Man · 188140

Offline Flame

• The obsessive
  • RPM Soldier
    • View Profile
Reply #50 on: March 04, 2012, 06:47:26 PM
Since you mentioned references to SAR and 8, might we see Duo again?

...When Larry the reploid accountant goes maverick of his own accord, he's certainly formidable during tax season, but he isn't going to provide X the challenge needed to make him grow as a warrior and reach his potential.

Offline Yllisos Zanon

• The Laberynth Librarian
  • Resistance Member
  • Individuality, so F*#K popularity
    • View Profile
Reply #51 on: March 04, 2012, 10:45:38 PM
I forgot about Rockman Strategy.  The main bosses are called Constellation Droids, it has the zodiac signs for the main bosses along with Apollo and Luna.  So for the title name for this group of bots, Martienauts.

Also, curious question.  Are there gonna be any water theme levels, so Mega Man can swim?

They're coming to take me away
hee hee hoo hoo haw haw

http://browse.deviantart.com/?q=veasman#

Offline Yoku Man

• Robot Master of Yoku Blocks.
  • Resistance Member
  • "Don't Trust Your Eyes, Trust Mine."
    • View Profile
Reply #52 on: March 05, 2012, 01:15:10 AM
Absolutely no idea. Its too early to say. We aren't in the level designing stage yet. As of now I would assume he'd swim like normal in this fangame, just jump higher in water. But we'll see how things turn out. Who knows? Maybe if there is a few space themed stages (as its set in outer space) a water stage may become redundant, but swimming in water may be a good way to add a new gimmick to a redundant stage.

We'll just have to wait and see.

Offline N-Mario

• Video Game Veteran
  • SA-Class Hunter
  • Video Game Veteran
    • View Profile
    • N-Mario's Gaming Universe
Reply #53 on: March 05, 2012, 07:04:09 AM
I honestly don't think MegaMan being able to swim is a good idea. It was only good in MM8 because there were areas where it would be required. Also, there were more graphics to work with, not limited to 8-bit work. But IMO, I don't really see 8-Bit MegaMan swimming.

Anyway Stars, have you given any thought when you would like to start on this project? Sounds like you're still getting ideas and story down first. I thought of what we can do is, if you want to work together with me on this, we could do a live stream thing and coordinate your plans and my coding or something. Just know that I'm going to be limited to working with MMF2, cause I don't know much on C programming. I wish I knew it though, I bet there would be less limits. But I guess my mind is also limited to what I know about programming. :-/

If not, then I could always work on my own thing until you are ready. Apparently I have the week off of work (as of this message) until the weekend, and I want to try to get started on something and get off my lazy bottom. I may be doing some more stream tests though to see how it looks when I go to code a game in MMF2 while streaming.  XD

well we don't have to. It's just a thought I had. I read somewhere that if a game is in early WIP stages, it should remain kept a secret until further development has been done (like how businesses usually are). Which is probably what Phil did with this game after he transferred over to C++ with his Co-Worker.  But since this is your game, it's entirely up to you how we want to work together. :)

Offline Mirby

• RPM's Krillin
  • Legendary Hero
  • KINGDOM HEARTS IS WAAAAAAA
    • View Profile
    • Mirby Studios
Reply #54 on: March 05, 2012, 10:29:15 AM
You know, the only time anything close to swimming worked in 8-bit MM was Rush Marine. Just sayin'.

OH [parasitic bomb] IM USING LINK AND I ACCIDENTALLY FINAL SMASHED A CUCCO OH GOD HELP
Just enjoy yourself, don't complain about everything

Offline Yoku Man

• Resistance Member
    • View Profile
Reply #55 on: March 05, 2012, 02:10:56 PM
You know, the only time anything close to swimming worked in 8-bit MM was Rush Marine. Just sayin'.

Perhaps Rush Marine can still be used. Mega Man V did have a shmup style stage when you flew to the Wily Death Star. Perhaps any water stage could be like that but underwater.

I thought of what we can do is, if you want to work together with me on this, we could do a live stream thing and coordinate your plans and my coding or something. Just know that I'm going to be limited to working with MMF2, cause I don't know much on C programming. I wish I knew it though, I bet there would be less limits. But I guess my mind is also limited to what I know about programming. :-/

If not, then I could always work on my own thing until you are ready. Apparently I have the week off of work (as of this message) until the weekend, and I want to try to get started on something and get off my lazy bottom. I may be doing some more stream tests though to see how it looks when I go to code a game in MMF2 while streaming.  XD

Thats a great idea, I'm up for that. No need to keep the stream a secret yet cos I guess this early we'd just be working on the engine and some example test stages, nothing spoilerish. To start we could define the screen resolutions, title screen, select screen, boss intro screen and do a test level. I think a perfect template level could be Wily's Spaceship Stage 1 from Mega Man IV. We could include the same old tileset, music, etc. Just to see how authentic we can get the engine to the original Gameboy style. (But of course with the Mega Mania pallete)

[youtube]AoUjpBuqSXQ[/youtube]

Offline KudosForce

• The wild card
  • SA-Class Hunter
  • Will our future be good? Only the cards will tell.
    • View Profile
Reply #56 on: March 05, 2012, 07:59:57 PM
That sounds like a neat concept, but the only problem is how to get it back.

As such, allow me to suggest this: when you defeat said enemy that stole MM's helmet, it can drop an item shaped like a 1-UP, but without the face. Once you pick it up, MM will get his helmet back.

So, what do you think?

Offline Yoku Man

• Resistance Member
    • View Profile
Reply #57 on: March 05, 2012, 08:15:56 PM
Well in MM9 and MM10, after you die it automatically comes back, and when you go to the shop you can buy a new one. Those are the best ways to get the helmet back. Its designed to be a nuisance, some players won't wanna forfeit a life to get the helmet back so will risk the extra challenge to carry on through the level with double damage until they can return to the shop and get a new helm. The only difference here is, the choice to go helmetless in 9 and 10 was something you paid for. You paid for the challenge, here its given anyway whether you like it or not.

Offline KudosForce

• The wild card
  • SA-Class Hunter
  • Will our future be good? Only the cards will tell.
    • View Profile
Reply #58 on: March 05, 2012, 08:25:20 PM
Well, that's fair enough, then.

With that said, it's nice to hear you guys will take the low-profile route.  owob It's best to adopt that strategy rather than post frequent updates and be pestered for the 10 000th time.

Good luck with your endeavor! I'm curious to see the results of this project.

Offline Cherrykorock

• Dr Light's other creation
  • SA-Class Hunter
  • Zero can divide by Zero.
    • View Profile
Reply #59 on: March 05, 2012, 10:20:19 PM
I doubt you want the help, but if you want I can sketch up some concept art for the characters when you have them down. As in you know for sure you are going with those Stardriods. I really like the ideas in this project and would love to help in whatever way I can. And seeing as you have cutscenes in mind I could do some storyboards for you as well. Of course if you want any help in the art department that is. =P

Regardless I can't wait to see this project. =]

Offline KoiDrake

• SA-Class Hunter
    • View Profile
    • DeviantArt
Reply #60 on: March 05, 2012, 11:40:57 PM
From what I'm reading, you haven't even decided on which bosses you are using, and the story still looks kinda sketchy, the border should be the last think you should be thinking about.

Offline KoiDrake

• SA-Class Hunter
    • View Profile
    • DeviantArt
Reply #61 on: March 06, 2012, 01:54:27 AM
But you don't need the border with the Megaman drawing to do that, the blank border should be enough to test the coding.

It's like if NMario (using him as an example since he is helping you) asked for some custom tiles before he even started with his engine, he instead  used placeholder tiles on it, as the important part was the gameplay, the graphics should be fleshed out later.

Offline Night

• Master's Unit
    • View Profile
Reply #62 on: March 06, 2012, 05:11:57 AM

I is stuck >w<

Offline Yoku Man

• Resistance Member
    • View Profile
Reply #63 on: March 08, 2012, 03:40:32 PM
Just a few more updates. Title card added, & new BG for the game engine frame. Yes, I made a new one myself. :-3

Though I've been wondering Stars. Was the original idea was to use the Super GB border size from MM V, the one with all the metools? I know you always wanted a border around the game, but I wasn't sure which one you wanted for the final concept. We're currently going with the GBA border idea, but as I remember earlier, you had some older concept pics with the Super GB size border, correct? Just wondering. :)

Also, it feels like the flash version has a completely different gravity measurement for some reason. You can jump up 3 tiles barely, but i the app, you can't really make it. Though I'm sure the movement still isn't accurate anyway, but it's getting close, me thinks. But I could be wrong.

Yeh lets stick with the GBA Border. Thats a nice little substitute you've made there! Bravo! I'm dumping the Super Gameboy border idea now because we're making a Mega Mania Style game now instead of a Super Gameboy style.

I've been studying the gameboy games some more and I think I'm wrong about the height. I think Mega Man is supposed to only be able to jump 2 tiles high and a bit. Yeah, actually, just tested it. Here ya go. I've tried it out and measured it exactly.

Mega Man jumps two tiles and his right foot measures 6 pixels high above tile 2, it you wanna get things perfect.

Anyway I've been putting together our template level of MMIV Wily Space Station, I should have something for you to put in today.

Offline Yoku Man

• Resistance Member
    • View Profile
Reply #64 on: March 11, 2012, 07:52:14 PM
Don't forget to merge your double posts. ;)

Pffft they were 16 hours apart, I'd hardly call that a double post. Anyway, I'm merging all my sprite sheets on the first page.

Next up will be Dr Light. Hmm What outline colour do you think he should have?

Offline Yllisos Zanon

• Resistance Member
    • View Profile
Reply #65 on: March 11, 2012, 10:13:40 PM
Both Dr. Light and Dr. Wily should have Dark Grey outlines.  If you do decide to put Duo in the game, he should have the same Dark Blue outline that Mega Man has.  If you end up deciding to use Bass and Treble, Bass should have the same Dark Grey the two Docs have.  While Treble has Dark Purple.  Tango would have Dark Green, Beat would have the same Dark Blue, Eddie would have the same Dark Red as Roll and Proto.

The more I see these sprites, the more I think of the MMX games, that were made for the Gameboy Color.

hee hee hoo hoo haw haw

Offline Yoku Man

• Resistance Member
    • View Profile
Reply #66 on: March 11, 2012, 10:35:33 PM
Both Dr. Light and Dr. Wily should have Dark Grey outlines.  If you do decide to put Duo in the game, he should have the same Dark Blue outline that Mega Man has.  If you end up deciding to use Bass and Treble, Bass should have the same Dark Grey the two Docs have.  While Treble has Dark Purple.  Tango would have Dark Green, Beat would have the same Dark Blue, Eddie would have the same Dark Red as Roll and Proto.

The more I see these sprites, the more I think of the MMX games, that were made for the Gameboy Color.

Cool suggestions! I came to the same conclusion for Dr Light. I've added him to the first post in the thread. The grey outline suits him well. I'll keep the next sprite I do a surprise.

Oh, as for Duo, I'm beginning to think that his sprite from the Neo Geo Pocket Colour "Battle and Fighters" might not really fit for the gameboy games, the style is quite different, but I imagine it would be of similar size. So we may have to invent new sprites for him. Any volunteers or suggestions? Hmm are there sprites of him from RM8FC?

Offline Mirby

• RPM's Krillin
  • Legendary Hero
  • KINGDOM HEARTS IS WAAAAAAA
    • View Profile
    • Mirby Studios
Reply #67 on: March 12, 2012, 04:01:38 AM
That OP is looking good, and I'm glad my suggestion of star names is being used. :3

OH [parasitic bomb] IM USING LINK AND I ACCIDENTALLY FINAL SMASHED A CUCCO OH GOD HELP
Just enjoy yourself, don't complain about everything

Offline IQ-0

• Ice Queen Zero
  • Resistance Member
  • Friendship Advisory - Magical Content
    • View Profile
    • 1CC Gaming
Reply #68 on: March 12, 2012, 04:59:37 AM
I updated the Wily Stage MM4-1 in my thread but I'll update it here. As suggested by N-Mario I blended the moon into the bg and I also added twinkle to all the single pixel stars minus the black ones.

http://www.1ccgaming.com/mmgbcc/wilystagemm4gb_1.gif

Offline N-Mario

• Video Game Veteran
  • SA-Class Hunter
  • Video Game Veteran
    • View Profile
    • N-Mario's Gaming Universe
Reply #69 on: March 12, 2012, 05:27:47 AM
I started working on getting the3 color option working in the engine. it's not complete yet, but it's getting there. GB Black&White MegaMan's color works, as well as the B&W title & select screen. ;)
I still need to work on fixing the display bar at the bottom to be GB Black & White. When I get done with it, I'll post an update.

Also, I think Dr. Wily's outline is too light. I think it needs to be darker. I agree for a gray outline, just make it darker. Another note some of Dr. Wily's sprites have black pixels on his feet (top row). Shouldn't they be white, or the same color as his white?

Offline Yllisos Zanon

• Resistance Member
    • View Profile
Reply #70 on: March 12, 2012, 05:49:41 AM
I have an idea for Orion, color scheme wise at least.  Since Saturn Man was Brown in color, I can see him being Brown (Primary), Turquoise (Secondary), Dark Blue (Outline).  If I get a chance, I may drop an image in this thread on how I imagine the bosses. 

But, truthfully.  I cannot see Orion being in any other color scheme!? LOL

hee hee hoo hoo haw haw

Offline IQ-0

• Ice Queen Zero
  • Resistance Member
  • Friendship Advisory - Magical Content
    • View Profile
    • 1CC Gaming
Reply #71 on: March 12, 2012, 05:53:05 AM
I'm definately gonna keep an eye on your thread. I bet you're gonna colourise all the Gameboy Mega Man games in the end?

Yes, eventually I'll have all the levels colored.

I wonder however if you'd ever want to help with designing orignal tilesets when we reach that stage of game development?

No problem and if you need music, I have my own band and can help with that too.

In fact, I'm currently brainstorming some tilesets to create for another unrelated group project in development codenamed Project V.N.A. including a strawberry themed level and its music theme is based off of the song Strawberry Letter 23 by Brothers Johnson. For that, the music is being worked on first and they contain musical easter eggs such as the Intro + Title is based off of Back Dat Azz Up by Juvenile. Password is based off of I Wish by Skee-Lo and Stage Select is based off of One Beer by MF Doom.

This will proove most useful for our engine.

You must've played Ghostbusters for the NES. Now go and rest your game creators :P

Offline Yllisos Zanon

• Resistance Member
    • View Profile
Reply #72 on: March 12, 2012, 06:22:27 AM
I have always enjoyed scripting, but I never had a chance to actually utilize this passion, especially for someone else.  But, here goes a little bit of it.

Mega Man: Who are you, why are you attacking Earth?

Orion: My oh my, we just met, yet the questions seem angry.

Mega Man: You didn't answer my questions.

Orion: Ask nicely, I might actually tell you.

Mega Man:  Who are you?

Orion: You may call me, Orion.

Mega Man: Why are you attacking Earth?

Orion: Orders, I always follow my masters wish.

Mega Man: Who is your master?

Orion:  Ha ha ha, like I'll tell you.  Now fight, or die in pieces.

hee hee hoo hoo haw haw

Offline Cherrykorock

• Dr Light's other creation
  • SA-Class Hunter
  • Zero can divide by Zero.
    • View Profile
Reply #73 on: March 12, 2012, 07:40:19 AM
Will the stardriods be shaped similar in design to the Robot Masters i.e mostly humanoid in shape? Or will they be more like the Reploids in Megaman Zero? I ask because some of the designs I wonder about.

Offline Yllisos Zanon

• Resistance Member
    • View Profile
Reply #74 on: March 12, 2012, 07:51:20 AM
Will the stardriods be shaped similar in design to the Robot Masters i.e mostly humanoid in shape? Or will they be more like the Reploids in Megaman Zero? I ask because some of the designs I wonder about.

I personally find this a good question.

For the sake of a new breed of Robots, in general.

hee hee hoo hoo haw haw