• Kind & Generous Fluffy Pillow~
  • RPM Ecchi Princess
  • ♪ Vixylicious Nya Nya~ ♪
    • View Profile
    • Rockman Perfect Memories
Reply #75 on: May 13, 2013, 07:00:14 PM
Dual Destinies? Good one, CoA.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jS3YrbN3vmo[/youtube]

It appears to be digital only, unlike the Japanese version.

Nintendo 3DS Friend Code: 3480-2506-4200
[DeviantArt|Twitch.tv|Youtube|Fan Work|WiiVC|Character File]
Rock10: Ranking. Rock9: AC, EA, SS, Challenge, Ranking.
(c) Sky Child~                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                         

Offline Phi

• RPM Knight
    • View Profile
Reply #76 on: May 13, 2013, 07:23:39 PM
Digital only? What the hell sense does that make?

Offline Rin

• The Hate Machine
  • Master's Unit
  • WORD
    • View Profile
Reply #77 on: May 13, 2013, 07:37:18 PM
Wow.
Capcom of America isn't even pretending they don't give a [parasitic bomb].

Offline VixyNyan

• RPM Ecchi Princess
    • View Profile
Reply #78 on: May 13, 2013, 07:52:50 PM
More sources:
(Siliconera) Ace Attorney 5 Headed West This Fall As Download Title; English Trailer Inside
(Kotaku) The Next Phoenix Wright Will Hit The West This Fall [UPDATE]
(GoNintendo) Capcom explains why Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney - Dual Destinies is digital only

“Historically it’s been tough to attract long term retail support for Ace Attorney titles. With the release of Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney – Dual Destinies we wanted as many people as possible to be able to enjoy the game for as long as possible. With that in mind we have opted for a digital only release via the Nintendo 3DS eShop.

We understand that this decision may upset fans who wanted to have a physical version of the title to add to their collection but we believe this direction is the best to take to ensure that fans are able to enjoy the game at their own leisure.

We will be confirming details on the price point soon so please stay tuned for more information on the latest in the Ace Attorney series.”

(c) Sky Child~                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                         

Offline ViperAcidZX

• Blastia researcher and
  • Master's Unit
    • View Profile
    • -Lousy Artist since 1991-
Reply #79 on: May 13, 2013, 08:21:19 PM
First games like DeathSmiles II X are forced into the digital market, and now this? At least this will be in frickin' English for those that can't discipher Moonspeak.

Capcom, like others, has been diving head long into bullshit DLC so much, especially with the fighter games. [parasitic bomb] like that pisses me off, especially if they are just recolors too, which doesn't seem to be the case here but see also BlazBlue's DLC color palettes. Disgusting.
To me, the only DLC I'll ever buy for BlazBlue is the option to hear Kokonoe's bitchy and sarcastic voice throughout the menus. >U<

Offline Mirby

• RPM's Krillin
  • Legendary Hero
  • KINGDOM HEARTS IS WAAAAAAA
    • View Profile
    • Mirby Studios
Reply #80 on: May 13, 2013, 08:24:38 PM
Yeah, I think I remember them saying they kinda fudged predicted sales just to get this approved for localization. If this is the way they have to distribute it, then I see no problem with it.

It's far better than the alternative, which is not getting this at all. *shrug*

OH [parasitic bomb] IM USING LINK AND I ACCIDENTALLY FINAL SMASHED A CUCCO OH GOD HELP
Just enjoy yourself, don't complain about everything

Offline Phi

• RPM Knight
    • View Profile
Reply #81 on: May 13, 2013, 08:43:41 PM
Atlus doesn't seem to have a problem localizing niche titles like Etrian Odyssey in both retail and digital form, throwing in CDs, artwork and other goodies in all the launch copies. They go the extra mile.

I'd imagine Ace Attorney does much better than Atlus' niche titles, and If they only wanted to make a few thousand physical copies, many fans, myself included, would pre-order that [parasitic bomb] in a flash.

VLR is incredibly niche and that was both digital and retail for Vita AND Aksys threw in a pre-order exclusive watch for BOTH 3DS AND VITA. Fans ate that up real quick, to the point where there had to be 5 [tornado fang]ing waves of pre-order batches.

Pull the other one, Capcom.

Offline Mirby

• RPM's Krillin
  • Legendary Hero
    • View Profile
    • Mirby Studios
Reply #82 on: May 13, 2013, 09:00:41 PM
to be fair, capcom japan has historically been making really really stupid decisions. but we're all aware of that.

in contrast, atlus and aksys are actually in touch with their fans. and reality. so not really a fair comparison.

also here's what i was mentioning.
Quote from: Christian Svensson
...the forecasts for AA5 I’ve put in are aggressive (high) relative to the historical performance of the franchise (needed to make sure it came over), so I’m counting on you guys to not make me a liar.

Source

OH [parasitic bomb] IM USING LINK AND I ACCIDENTALLY FINAL SMASHED A CUCCO OH GOD HELP

Offline Phi

• RPM Knight
    • View Profile
Reply #83 on: May 13, 2013, 09:12:52 PM
in contrast, atlus and aksys are actually in touch with their fans. and reality. so not really a fair comparison.

That's precisely the reason why I'm mentioning this.

If they were like those two companies, namely Atlus, we wouldn't be having this discussion.

Offline Mirby

• RPM's Krillin
  • Legendary Hero
    • View Profile
    • Mirby Studios
Reply #84 on: May 13, 2013, 09:15:26 PM
That's precisely the reason why I'm mentioning this.

If they were like those two companies, namely Atlus, we wouldn't be having this discussion.
Agreed.

Offline Police Girl

• A total qt
  • Legendary Hero
  • cannons are cool i guess
    • View Profile
Reply #85 on: May 14, 2013, 02:15:55 AM
I'll admit, I've only recently gotten into the series (and even then only thanks to somebody lending me AA1) but the news of Digital-Only is highly disappointing. I'm not a total hardcore fan by any stretch of the imagination, but its not like Capcom is hemorrhaging money so bad to the point where they need to make decisions like this. And they've pretty much [tornado fang]'d over the people who abhor Digital releases at MSRP, highly prefer Retail releases to Digital releases because they like having the cartridge/case, or people who know that Digital games on 3DS are tied to the console.

That, and if you're going to burn one bridge why not burn them all? You kill the trust of your fans, release highly over-priced on-disc DLC or sell people palette changes, and release highly anticipated games as Online only to further limit your consumer-base.

Can't wait till they say "Baww not enough people bought AA5 so we're not giving you anymore Ace Attorney games."

Offline Zan

• Master's Unit
  • Unpleasable Unhelpful Utopian Totalitarian
    • View Profile
Reply #86 on: May 14, 2013, 02:21:54 AM
I'm already glad this is slightly less of a Miles Edgeworth 2 fiasco.

Offline ViperAcidZX

• Blastia researcher and
  • Master's Unit
    • View Profile
    • -Lousy Artist since 1991-
Reply #87 on: May 14, 2013, 02:29:39 AM
Can't wait till they say "Baww not enough people bought AA5 so we're not giving you anymore Ace Attorney games."
I'm pretty sure that's the same [parasitic bomb] that happened with Senko no Ronde: Dis-United Order (and region-locking it only pours salt on the wound), and probabaly what's gonna happen to "Ender's Project" thanks to High-Voltage botching up the Zone of the Enders HD Collection (especially with the PS3 version that Kojima is working on to undo the damage).

Offline OBJECTION MAN

• Neo Arcadian
    • View Profile
Reply #88 on: May 14, 2013, 05:58:31 AM
Now there is no excuse to not have all the games on the eShop, since they're all on DS at minimum. This includes Miles Edgeworth 2!!!

TWITCH   ➧ TWITTER   ➧ DISCORD   ➧ MY GAMES

Knockout Mondays
Experimental day: Fighting game engine project Live Gamedev (8PM - 10 PM EST)

WIP Wednesdays
Hamster Drop Gold Edition Live Gamedev (8PM - 10 PM EST)

Weekend Game Hangout
Marc, Amber, & Friends (Saturday Evening EST)

Offline Phi

• RPM Knight
    • View Profile
Reply #89 on: May 14, 2013, 06:05:42 AM
Now there is no excuse to not have all the games on the eShop, since they're all on DS at minimum. This includes Miles Edgeworth 2!!!

A very valid point.

Offline Police Girl

• A total qt
  • Legendary Hero
  • cannons are cool i guess
    • View Profile
Reply #90 on: May 14, 2013, 07:18:56 AM
A very valid point.

Except, do you think Nintendo would ever put out/authorize the sale of original DS games on the eShop?

Offline Phi

• RPM Knight
    • View Profile
Reply #91 on: May 14, 2013, 07:46:50 AM
... yet another valid point :P

Although if it's just for Edgeworth 2, unlikely as it is, they might let that slide. That's the only other AA game that has high demand for localization.

of course that's just wishful thinking and Capcom has already shown not to care...

Offline OBJECTION MAN

• Neo Arcadian
    • View Profile
Reply #92 on: May 15, 2013, 04:06:57 AM
Except, do you think Nintendo would ever put out/authorize the sale of original DS games on the eShop?

But they already have several times. Most of the starting lineup for the eShop was DSi-ware. Many more were re-released after that as well as time went on.

Knockout Mondays

WIP Wednesdays

Weekend Game Hangout

Offline Phi

• RPM Knight
    • View Profile
Reply #93 on: May 15, 2013, 04:37:37 AM
DSiWare titles and DS retail titles aren't the same thing.

That's why I admitted it would be unlikely for the eShop to suddenly put out DS retail titles as downloads (i.e. Mario Kart DS, Ace Attorney, etc.)

That's what backwards compatability is for

Offline OBJECTION MAN

• Neo Arcadian
    • View Profile
Reply #94 on: May 15, 2013, 05:01:12 AM
Perhaps, though the Ace Attorney titles were released as digital downloads for the Wii already.

I'd be willing to wager that they'd get a little leeway from Nintendo to do it if they just asked about it. Not only are Ace Attorney games substantially lower in file size than many other DS titles, they have wide market appeal, even more so at a budget price. The 3DS can play the code natively, and the cost to port would be minimal.

I can see why they may not want to flood the market with DS retail titles, but this one could make a lot of sense. Maybe as a packaged deal with multiple titles in one? At the very least they should be able to release Miles Edgeworth 2 digitally, given it's never seen an American release, and would be a 'new' release.

I'm just running on hope now.

Knockout Mondays

WIP Wednesdays

Weekend Game Hangout

Offline Mirby

• RPM's Krillin
  • Legendary Hero
    • View Profile
    • Mirby Studios
Reply #95 on: May 15, 2013, 06:04:44 AM
Well they did pitch the idea of a collection on 3DS a while back and it sounds like it wasn't the first time they've done so...

so there's that

Offline VixyNyan

• RPM Ecchi Princess
    • View Profile
Reply #96 on: May 16, 2013, 01:05:51 AM

(c) Sky Child~                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                         

Offline Phi

• RPM Knight
    • View Profile
Reply #97 on: May 16, 2013, 02:46:48 AM
Edgeworth, the world can only contain so much badass.

And I swear i'm no lolicon, but there's something about the way Trucy holds her arm up that's sexy
[spoiler]underpit[/spoiler]

Offline Hypershell

• needs DRAGONITE POWER!
  • Legendary Hero
  • Steel in Zee Head
    • View Profile
    • Get equipped with Hyper's DA
Reply #98 on: May 16, 2013, 03:28:52 AM
also here's what i was mentioning.
Source

If that's true, then Sven is screwed.  Contrary to popular belief there is a big world out there of people who buy video game consoles without considering in-home wifi a necessity of life (kids who have no choice in the matter especially).  Going download-only may cut the production costs but it also cuts out potential customers.  Add to that the "techno-literate" who could download but have married themselves to the traditional box (like myself), along with those who wonder why a "digital-only" game is costing as much as a retail game, and I think Capcom has a much greater uphill battle on their hands than they realize.

So, yeah, it beats nothing.  And I'll download it because of that, probably.  But it's also a setup that a blind man could see coming.

Namely, this.

Also on DeviantArt, Rumble, DLive.tv, and the Fediverse (@freespeechextremist.com and @bae.st)

Offline N-Mario

• Video Game Veteran
  • SA-Class Hunter
  • Video Game Veteran
    • View Profile
    • N-Mario's Gaming Universe
Reply #99 on: May 16, 2013, 03:46:48 AM
Why the heck is he wearing glasses? Is he getting that old or something? He still looks young enough to not need them.