Can Bandai get Mega Man off the F***ING moon?

Hypershell · 16801

Archer

Reply #25 on: July 13, 2012, 02:48:05 AM
PUBLIC SERVICE ANNOUNCEMENT:
RPM does not support mob violence.  Unless it gets results.

[spoiler]GET THEM[/spoiler]

Oh calm down. You're getting angry because they didn't make a toy.

Offline The Great Gonzo

• Master's Unit
    • View Profile
Reply #26 on: July 13, 2012, 02:54:03 AM
Oh calm down. You're getting angry because they didn't make a toy.

More like "why did you bother opening a poll" combined with "Capcom doesn't think Legends will sell yet they actively prevent any chance of Legends becoming popular".

To be honest, I feel that many of the Trigger votes were solely to send the message that "we want more legends" after the Legends 3 fiasco.

I think many of the people who voted for Volnutt really did want a good figure of him, myself included (*looks at old Bandai model kit that, while decently sculpted, lacks elbow articulation*).

Offline Hypershell

• needs DRAGONITE POWER!
  • Legendary Hero
  • Steel in Zee Head
    • View Profile
    • Get equipped with Hyper's DA
Reply #27 on: July 13, 2012, 03:09:19 AM
It's a Simpsons joke, AA.  Take your own advise and lighten up a little.

But yeah, Gonzo nailed it.  I'm fairly convinced that Capcom (that is, CoJ, not CoA) is actively attempting to silence the Legends fanbase.  It's the only logical way that I can justify their refusal to release the already completed Prototype Version before cancelling the game; most likely motivated by their ongoing unease over the Devroom (as referenced by Gregaman when the game was cancelled), which in Japan, they long since deleted from the internet.  We in the U.S. were a bit luckier in that regard.

To be honest, I feel that many of the Trigger votes were solely to send the message that "we want more legends" after the Legends 3 fiasco. Bandai probably felt that since they were doing the X series, they would be better off continuing with it and doing other series later.

*hides under fire proof shield*
No worries; I neither breathe fire nor get my own movies.

This is my third time saying this in the last two days, but that is baseless speculation.  It's the same conjecture that encourages Capcom to abandon a "dying" series instead of fixing it: No matter how vocal fans are, there must be some reason they are incapable of spending money.

Don't you think any Mega Man page that covered the poll has every bit the same chance of sending a fan of any of the other six series to vote on figures they have no intention of buying as they do of sending a Legends fan to do the same?  There is absolutely no evidence of whether Sigma's votes are more or less "valid" than Volnutt's votes.  For that matter, just because a Legends fan refers somebody to the poll, doesn't mean the person referred to it will vote accordingly.  I referred five friends on Facebook to that poll and only two voted for Trigger.

If shaky assumptions about the behavioral habits of a fanbase completely untested for the last decade are your thing, then consider this: Volnutt's votes being a matter of sensational retribution would imply that the fanbase's loyalty to him would wane over time.  Being based on emotionally unstable individuals who lack the commitment to buy the figure after the long stretch of time it takes to produce it, the other characters should overtake him in the long run.  But that didn't happen; the poll never closed, and to this day, Trigger maintains a near 100 vote lead over Sigma.

Hardly concrete stuff, I know, but it's about as valid and likely as any of the guesswork aimed at tearing Trigger down.

Also on DeviantArt, Rumble, DLive.tv, and the Fediverse (@freespeechextremist.com and @bae.st)

Offline The Great Gonzo

• Master's Unit
    • View Profile
Reply #28 on: July 17, 2012, 02:42:38 AM
So I read this. This bit, towards the bottom:

There are also other Mega Man related D-Arts figures that were not visible at San Diego, but may be revealed at future Tamashii events…

gives me some hope that Volnutt might still get a figure. But honestly, given that CoJ's involved...

Archer

Reply #29 on: July 17, 2012, 03:03:01 AM
gives me some hope that Volnutt might still get a figure. But honestly, given that CoJ's involved...

You're just begging them to disappoint you.

Offline The Great Gonzo

• Master's Unit
    • View Profile
Reply #30 on: July 17, 2012, 03:16:18 AM
You're just begging them to disappoint you.

...Most likely, unfortunately. I'm trying not to get my hopes too high up.

Protodude will forward any questions in the comments section of this post to Bluefin; I've submitted my own, though as of this writing the comment hasn't been approved yet. Basically, "Is Volnutt one of those figures you'll reveal later, and if not, then why was he excluded?" and "It sounds like you're expanding the line beyond X, so are figures from BN and SF possible (by which I mean "will the various companies involved with them let you"), or ones from other series like RS-MM?"

I have no idea when people's questions will be answered, or if the answers will be at all helpful.

edit: GOD-[tornado fang]ing-DAMMIT

And we are also aware of ballot stuffing for polls and people attempting to hijack momentum for their own personal gain.

You know...I don't care how frustrated you are with the Legends fanbase, and how they won't "get over" the PR nightmare and betrayal of trust that was MML3's cancellation. I don't care if some spambots accidentally got counted amongst the legitimate members of 10,000 Strong (or whatever was so controversial about them reaching 10,000).

How do you prove there was ballot-stuffing? Whose word was Bluefin relying on?

I asked Protodude if he could let Bluefin know that yes, many Legends fans who voted for Trigger had every intention of buying the damn thing; he said that he'd see what he could do.

(TMMN's article didn't include that sentence, and I thought they had the full Q&A with Mr. Lim, hence why I missed it. Well, that, and "Gonzo is an idiot")

Offline Flame

• The obsessive
  • RPM Soldier
    • View Profile
Reply #31 on: July 17, 2012, 05:06:34 PM
It's not exactly surprising that there would be some kind of Ballot hijinx involved with the Trigger option in the poll. I stand by my reasoning that the only reason he garnered THAT many votes, intent to buy or otherwise, was because of L3's cancellation. Sigma himself had quite a few votes, and came in second place if I recall, and im pretty sure he might have come in first had the L3 situation not happened, or if L3 had never existed period.

Also: I have every intent to buy the Sigma figure if it comes out, too. I dont see how the votes for Trigger are any more indicative of "having every intent to buy"

...When Larry the reploid accountant goes maverick of his own accord, he's certainly formidable during tax season, but he isn't going to provide X the challenge needed to make him grow as a warrior and reach his potential.

Offline Treleus

• B-Class Hunter
    • View Profile
Reply #32 on: July 17, 2012, 09:15:53 PM
DABBURU SUTANNNDARUUDOOOS

Please. They're valid. If they're not, then one could reasonably extrapolate that no internet poll vote is valid, given a deep enough scope of analysis, and in the absence of hard evidence for or against ballot fixing. The shitstorm of Legends 3's development, marketing, and sudden cancellation was definitely a big catalyst for Trigger's surge in popularity, but the "cancellation factor" alone doesn't invalidate the numbers because there's more to it than just "oh, a game got cancelled. Whoopdy-do." For better or for worse, the situation surrounding Legends 3's cancellation produced effects still felt by fans everywhere to this day. Whether or not Capcom wanted this, they asked for it, they got it, and it's here to stay whether they do something for it or not.

Things do change and people may lose interest. That's natural for anything. But remember how long Legends fans had to wait for a sequel? 10 years, right? 10 years of loyal fans waiting and new fans discovering the brand, especially upon the game's announcement, and then there's a huge backlash against this arguably niche game's cancellation.

There are also people who're pissed at Capcom for something or other, so chances are they've mixed and coalesced a bit with the discontent from the Legends camp. You've got an argument there, but then if you want to be fair, you should also apply the same logic to the lack of X in MvC3 and attribute his surge in D-Arts popularity (and in general) to that outrage. Try it on and see if it fits.

Offline megaman24681012

• Toa of Ice
  • B-Class Hunter
  • Shoulda chose a better name.
    • View Profile
Reply #33 on: July 17, 2012, 09:51:20 PM
It would seem pretty smart to take advantage of Cappy's recent antagonistic actions towards its fanbase to advertise merchandise. Hell, the Tekken guys are doing it.

Kopaka: "That leaves you and I, Tahu Nuva."
Tahu: "No. That leaves only me."

Offline The Great Gonzo

• Master's Unit
    • View Profile
Reply #34 on: July 18, 2012, 12:34:35 AM
I'm seeing the "ballot stuffing" comments at PRC and...God.

These people wouldn't think any shenanigans went down if Sigma won that poll.

Offline Flame

• The obsessive
  • RPM Soldier
    • View Profile
Reply #35 on: July 18, 2012, 02:58:07 AM
the X series doesnt have NEARLY the same amount of controversy currently surrounding it though. The most it has is no Mega Man X in MvC3, with a costume cameo for Zero instead, who WAS in MvC3. Sigma himself was irrelevant on that front.

...When Larry the reploid accountant goes maverick of his own accord, he's certainly formidable during tax season, but he isn't going to provide X the challenge needed to make him grow as a warrior and reach his potential.

Offline The Great Gonzo

• Master's Unit
    • View Profile
Reply #36 on: July 18, 2012, 03:17:57 AM
Protodude's post has been updated:

UPDATE: Ballot stuffing rules out a Mega Man Volnutt figure?

"Ah, it's come to my attention, that my comment regarding ballot stuffing has been assumed to refer only to MML 3 and Megaman Volnutt on Facebook. That wasn't my intention, it was a general comment regarding the validity of the Facebook polls in general."

"To expand on this, it's not necessarily the winner on the poll that automatically makes a figure.  All of the results are reviewed.  The results prompts Tamashii Nations to do further market research concerning the product viability and to pursue licensing with companies.  It's too soon for mml fans to conclude their voices are in vain."

I'm glad that Bluefin wanted to sort things out. Here's to hoping...

Offline Treleus

• B-Class Hunter
    • View Profile
Reply #37 on: July 18, 2012, 05:26:07 AM
the X series doesnt have NEARLY the same amount of controversy currently surrounding it though. The most it has is no Mega Man X in MvC3, with a costume cameo for Zero instead, who WAS in MvC3. Sigma himself was irrelevant on that front.

Yeah, but what I'm saying is controversy =/= invalidity. Controversy is an indication that there's something a lot of people care about, not something that a lot of people don't care about. If it were the latter case, then there would've been no controversy. We can argue numbers and comparative popularity all day between it and other Mega Man/Capcom franchises, but it definitely has a following, and Legends 3 had a lot to do with bringing it out and causing it to grow.

Offline Hypershell

• needs DRAGONITE POWER!
  • Legendary Hero
  • Steel in Zee Head
    • View Profile
    • Get equipped with Hyper's DA
Reply #38 on: July 20, 2012, 12:41:51 AM
I really wish more people would learn the definition of "ballot stuffing" before they run their mouths.  It means cheating by submitting duplicate votes, which God knows EVERYONE does on the internet (watch a GameFAQs character poll sometime), so anyone worth their own brain stem would be alert for it regardless of circumstance.  That's just common sense.  The existence of the 100,000 Strong (what is with all of the appeal to ridicule by altering that number, anyway?) cannot possibly invalidate 531 votes on those grounds.  Do your [tornado fang]ing research, people.

And don't pretend that nobody else in the world rallied for their favorites, be they Sigma, Forte, or anyone else, because it's a bold faced lie.  It's called being a fan.  Had L3 never existed I'd have done the same thing for Iris.

It's not exactly surprising that there would be some kind of Ballot hijinx involved with the Trigger option in the poll. I stand by my reasoning that the only reason he garnered THAT many votes, intent to buy or otherwise, was because of L3's cancellation. Sigma himself had quite a few votes, and came in second place if I recall, and im pretty sure he might have come in first had the L3 situation not happened, or if L3 had never existed period.
And Sigma wouldn't have gotten that many votes if Mega Man X had never existed.  He probably wouldn't have gotten as many votes had this poll happened hot off of the heels of X7, either.  And he DEFINITELY wouldn't have gotten as many votes if not for the fact that previous D-Arts figures are from the X-series, and that Zero has been making cameo fighting game appearances, as the X-series in terms of core game releases has been dead for the last six years.

What is your point, Flame?

Polls exist to gauge popularity.  Circumstance does not invalidate popularity; quite the opposite, popularity is based on circumstance, and is in no way whatsoever an objective measure of value.

Also on DeviantArt, Rumble, DLive.tv, and the Fediverse (@freespeechextremist.com and @bae.st)

Offline The Great Gonzo

• Master's Unit
    • View Profile
Reply #39 on: October 15, 2012, 04:04:11 AM
At NYCC, we can vote on which series we want to see more D-Arts of. Choices are Classic, X, and Legends.

*crosses fingers*

Archer

Reply #40 on: October 15, 2012, 04:13:18 AM
As if the results mean anything.

Offline The Great Gonzo

• Master's Unit
    • View Profile
Reply #41 on: October 15, 2012, 04:18:59 AM
As if the results mean anything.

I dunno; Bandai could make a lot of money off of listening to the fans. They're not cosmically stupid like Capcom (I hope).

Offline Ladd Spencer

• Neo Arcadian
  • Blow up! We want to blow up this area.
    • View Profile
Reply #42 on: October 15, 2012, 06:09:22 AM
I'm voting Classic. I love Legends, and X could have some cool figures, but we need robot masters.

FEELS  ;^;Which has the massive scrotums?

Offline Joseph Collins

• Neo Arcadian
    • View Profile
Reply #43 on: October 15, 2012, 06:14:16 AM
I want a Springman action figure.

... what?  I do.  :3

Offline Ladd Spencer

• Neo Arcadian
    • View Profile
Reply #44 on: October 15, 2012, 06:28:19 AM
I hope he's as cool as Springy, Homer's entry for the Olympics mascot. His name was Springy, right?

Offline Flame

• The obsessive
  • RPM Soldier
    • View Profile
Reply #45 on: October 15, 2012, 08:03:00 AM
He better be made of legit springs.

Offline Strider Xhaiden

• The Token Brit.
  • Master's Unit
  • Never "Great", just varying degrees of "OK".
    • View Profile
Reply #46 on: October 15, 2012, 10:53:25 AM
I'm honestly torn. Part of me wants Classic because Proto Man/Bass/Elec Man/Wily/etc. , but the other half wants more X because Axl/Alia/Dynamo/Colonel and Iris/etc.

My Twitch channel. Random streams during the week.
Currently streaming: Transformers: Devastation

Offline Rin

• The Hate Machine
  • Master's Unit
  • WORD
    • View Profile
Reply #47 on: October 15, 2012, 02:02:06 PM
I'm honestly torn. Part of me wants Classic because Proto Man/Bass/Elec Man/Wily/etc. , but the other half wants more X because Axl/Alia/Dynamo/Colonel and Iris/etc.

Are you implying any of those characters, maybe except Blues and Axl (who have it guaranteed), will get figures?

HA.

Offline Flame

• The obsessive
  • RPM Soldier
    • View Profile
Reply #48 on: October 15, 2012, 03:34:21 PM
If sigma is being prototyped, and vile got his dues-  and his ride armor is being considered... I wouldn't put ot past bandai

Offline Ladd Spencer

• Neo Arcadian
    • View Profile
Reply #49 on: October 15, 2012, 05:02:52 PM
Dynamo as a figure without his theme constantly playing wouldn't have the same effect, in my mind.