Offline AquaTeamV3

• Class SSS Digger
  • SA-Class Hunter
  • Your friendly neighborhood digger!
    • View Profile
    • The Digger's Database
on: September 01, 2011, 07:09:47 PM
http://mangastream.com/read/dragon_ball_episode_of_bardock/36173525/1

Well, this caught me off guard completely.  Not sure if it's canon or not (it's possible), but it seems pretty interesting so far.

PSN: AquaTeamV3
NNID: BaconStunner
GGPO: AquaTeamV3
My YouTube Channel
The Digger's Database (My Megaman Legends site)

Offline Acid

• RPM Knight
    • View Profile
Reply #1 on: September 01, 2011, 07:29:10 PM
First time I saw this I thought it was a featured fan fiction project.

Offline irgpie

• Neo Arcadian
    • View Profile
Reply #2 on: September 01, 2011, 07:39:55 PM
There's so much What-If stories and other such things now that I'll just assume this is one such. In fact there's also another Bardock saved from the explosion that was brought to the timeline of DragonBall Online, which is more or less canon since Toriyama is fairly involved. I think SSJ Bardock might've appeared in that one very-much-non-canon Arcade game before this (along with such characters as SSJ3 Future Trunks and Chilled), so this is probably just something to go along with it.

Offline Phi

• RPM Knight
    • View Profile
Reply #3 on: September 01, 2011, 09:04:42 PM
The DBZ Bardock Movie will always be one of the most memorable landmarks in the series. Most DBZ movies were mediocre, save for Legendary SSJ, History of Trunks and Wrath of the Dragon.

As for this, can't say i'm that excited to read it. The "What-if" stories don't serve much purpose besides humor (at least in the DBZ games) or bad plot points.

Offline AquaTeamV3

• Class SSS Digger
  • SA-Class Hunter
    • View Profile
    • The Digger's Database
Reply #4 on: September 01, 2011, 09:47:34 PM
I know Toriyama's involved directly with this one, along with Ooishi Naho, the other person he left DBZ to, which is one reason why I think it may be canon.  It seems to be a prologue of sorts, explaining the origins of the Cold family's history with the Saiyans and all.

[spoiler]The last part isn't translated yet, but Bardock does go SSJ and defeats Chilled.  Chilled survives the encounter, which is probably the origin of the "Legendary Super Saiyan" rumor.[/spoiler]

My YouTube Channel

Offline Reaperoid

• Redundant
  • Master's Unit
  • d-don't fear the reaper
    • View Profile
Reply #5 on: September 04, 2011, 07:08:36 AM
Now look what you made me do... I just had to find archives of the two currently-released chapters.
You bastards. 8D

Read the first chapter just now, amazing stuff. Got me as excited as I was while I was reading the DBAF fan manga.

I guess all I can really say is it isn't exactly what I'd expect out of a $4.4M game

It doesn't even have mouth animations

Offline Phi

• RPM Knight
    • View Profile
Reply #6 on: September 07, 2011, 04:43:51 AM
Got me as excited as I was while I was reading the DBAF fan manga.

-__________-

You disappoint me.

Offline Reaperoid

• Redundant
  • Master's Unit
    • View Profile
Reply #7 on: September 07, 2011, 09:59:09 AM
I have too many guilty pleasures, plus they're more genius than the most recent DB media (I'm looking at you and your lack of backstory, Vegeta 3 and Broly 3).

I guess all I can really say is it isn't exactly what I'd expect out of a $4.4M game

Offline AquaTeamV3

• Class SSS Digger
  • SA-Class Hunter
    • View Profile
    • The Digger's Database
Reply #8 on: September 07, 2011, 09:39:35 PM
Sweet, the 3rd and final chapter is up!  Man, what is up with the Cold Family and blwing up planets as a last resort?

My YouTube Channel

Offline Nexus

• is one random son of a
  • SA-Class Hunter
  • No one ever said all Reploids were smart.
    • View Profile
Reply #9 on: September 19, 2011, 08:51:51 AM
Sweet, the 3rd and final chapter is up!  Man, what is up with the Cold Family and blwing up planets as a last resort?

I think the bigger thing is that: [spoiler]Bardock went Super Saiyan and Chilled passed down the knowledge of the Super Saiyan as a fearsome legend to his descendants. Episode of Bardock might be a three-chapter oneshot, but if this is canon, it has major implications on some speculated series mysteries and also sets up why the Cold family feared the legend of the Super Saiyan enough to destroy the Saiyans (and Planet Plant is originally the name of Planet Vegeta, meaning the Tuffles that the Saiyans ended up overtaking might've not even been the original inhabitants OR they descended from the Plants).[/spoiler]

Offline Reaperoid

• Redundant
  • Master's Unit
    • View Profile
Reply #10 on: November 23, 2011, 01:45:02 PM
It was already stated that Episode of Bardock was a What-If, where he survives Freeza's onslaught on the Saiyajin.
How would you subject this to the whole of the Z story, as you know it?

Posted on: 1749:08, 19-09-2011
Apparently, an animated adaption for Episode of Bardock is on the way.