SNES and PS graphics

Waifu · 3962

Offline Waifu

• Ultimate Despair
  • Master's Unit
  • Kanako, the Moriya Shrine Goddess
    • View Profile
on: July 01, 2011, 04:41:04 AM
Now, I am not a graphic designer or an engineer but is it really hard to animate Playstation quality sprites on a Super nintendo?

I mean look at these:

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mZfjcfOVyeE[/youtube]

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w-lIkYkBfo0[/youtube]

Frost Man and Cold Man may or may not be the best examples butthe point that I am mgetting at is that they were able to utilize some graphics from Mega Man but overall Rockman and Forte are not as colorful as  was. For those who are familiar with spriting, graphics and techincal design, what can the PS1 do with Mega Man that Super Nintendo couldn't do with Mega Man and Bass? What exactly are the differences?

Offline Slash Man

• Resistance Member
  • NES Gamer
    • View Profile
    • Mega Stuff
Reply #1 on: July 01, 2011, 05:23:05 AM
Mega Man has more screen space on the PlayStation, that's for sure. It also has better sound (although Mega Man X 3 is a bad example).

It's not necessarily harder to animate Mega Man 8's likeness on SNES, but the colors are limited, and the overall display is larger. It also appears he has less frames, but I'm not entirely sure about that one.

Offline Flame

• The obsessive
  • RPM Soldier
    • View Profile
Reply #2 on: July 01, 2011, 08:05:02 AM
More muscle, processing power more game space, (Disc > Cartirdge) I think.

Also, welcome to the oldest discussion ever. This is nothing new.

...When Larry the reploid accountant goes maverick of his own accord, he's certainly formidable during tax season, but he isn't going to provide X the challenge needed to make him grow as a warrior and reach his potential.

Archer

Reply #3 on: July 01, 2011, 02:38:58 PM
Who cares.

I don't think any game designers are going to animate Playstation quality sprites on a Super Nintendo these days.

Offline Reaperoid

• Redundant
  • Master's Unit
  • d-don't fear the reaper
    • View Profile
Reply #4 on: July 01, 2011, 02:55:44 PM
Keep in mind that R&F was one of the very last games to show up for the Super Famicom, and was actually released two years after R8. You'd think they would have learned a few things in those two years to be able to release R&F on the SFC.

I guess all I can really say is it isn't exactly what I'd expect out of a $4.4M game

It doesn't even have mouth animations

Offline Blackhook

• Dropper of ships
  • Legendary Hero
    • View Profile
Reply #5 on: July 01, 2011, 03:04:28 PM
So..what is this topic about again?

Offline Reaperoid

• Redundant
  • Master's Unit
  • d-don't fear the reaper
    • View Profile
Reply #6 on: July 01, 2011, 03:12:11 PM
I don't actually think that OP knows R&F came afterward, so I can assume he's asking how 'PlayStation'-era graphics can be rendered on a Super Famicom.

...I think.

I guess all I can really say is it isn't exactly what I'd expect out of a $4.4M game

It doesn't even have mouth animations

Offline Waifu

• Ultimate Despair
  • Master's Unit
    • View Profile
Reply #7 on: July 01, 2011, 04:38:46 PM
^ That is almost exactly what I am talking about and I do know that RM&F did come after 8 but what I am asking is, what can PS1 do that the SNES can't? What can the PS1 render that the SNES cannot?

Offline Rin

• The Hate Machine
  • Master's Unit
  • WORD
    • View Profile
Reply #8 on: July 01, 2011, 04:48:28 PM
what I am asking is, what can PS1 do that the SNES can't? What can the PS1 render that the SNES cannot?
More muscle, processing power more game space, (Disc > Cartirdge) I think.
This.

The question is really stupid once you think about it some.

Offline Slash Man

• Resistance Member
  • NES Gamer
    • View Profile
    • Mega Stuff
Reply #9 on: July 01, 2011, 06:25:36 PM
The original topic has pretty much been answered. But as for why release a game for a "dead" system... well, Nintendo has a different appeal in Japan. Game systems (particularly Nintendo) have more longlivity. People still had their Super Famicoms, so Nintendo tried to further market it as a system for beginners, Rockman and Forte was advertised as such (they tried that with the NES in the United States... but with terrible results).

Just as an example, both the Family Computer and Super Famicom were discontinued in 2003 (the FC being 20 years old).

Offline OBJECTION MAN

• Neo Arcadian
    • View Profile
Reply #10 on: July 01, 2011, 06:52:52 PM
The SNES has a 16 palette limit. 8 for sprites, 8 for backgrounds. The PS1 has a substantially greater amount.

The SNES has a far more limited VRAM. Not as many sprite or background tiles can be loaded at once, giving duller and less detailed scroll patterns. I can go into greater detail here, in how Rockman & Forte's player sprites are handled in a completely different way than Megaman 8.

The SNES was limited to 4 background scrolls (layers). PS1 games do not have that limitation for the most part. Layers are 'logical' and not 'physical'. They coded the game to display textures in a grid pattern, thus creating 'layers' but the hardware itself does not have 'layers' natively. Most 2D games have to do this, since current hardware typically doesn't support actual layers or have crippled and or limited use.

Case in point: The DS actually has layers, but none of the Castlevania games use them, and I don't believe ZX and ZXA do either. The reason is, you can get far better effects by simulating layers instead. The DS doesn't offer a full range of effects that you can get using the 3D render routines instead.

Similar example: Computer harddrives. You can section a physical single harddrive into many partitions. Windows will treat these partitions as if they were each a separate drive. Partitions are 'logical' drives, but they all exist on the same 'physical' drive.

In conclusion, while there are obvious hardware limitations that do effect things in this instance, there is also some due responsibility of the developers to make the most of what they have. Some portions of Rockman & Forte did well, and others did not. It's not a bad game, but you do wonder when you look at games such as Seiken Densetsu 3, or Tales of Phantasia, how much better it could have been visually.

I hope that clears things up a little. I can give more detailed info on any of the sections if you are curious or confused.

TWITCH   ➧ TWITTER   ➧ DISCORD   ➧ MY GAMES

Knockout Mondays
Experimental day: Fighting game engine project Live Gamedev (8PM - 10 PM EST)

WIP Wednesdays
Hamster Drop Gold Edition Live Gamedev (8PM - 10 PM EST)

Weekend Game Hangout
Marc, Amber, & Friends (Saturday Evening EST)

Offline Waifu

• Ultimate Despair
  • Master's Unit
    • View Profile
Reply #11 on: July 02, 2011, 01:36:47 AM
^ That helps immensely. You can PM the rest.

Offline Hiryu

• Capcom's Favorite futuristic ninja
  • B-Class Hunter
    • View Profile
Reply #12 on: July 02, 2011, 06:12:24 PM
It does what Nintendon't.

Offline Hypershell

• needs DRAGONITE POWER!
  • Legendary Hero
  • Steel in Zee Head
    • View Profile
    • Get equipped with Hyper's DA
Reply #13 on: July 03, 2011, 02:48:55 AM
It does loading screens and girly voices.

Also on DeviantArt, Rumble, DLive.tv, and the Fediverse (@freespeechextremist.com and @bae.st)