Why is wall dashing so hard in Maverick Hunter X?

Sub Tank · 3369

Offline Sub Tank

• Neo Arcadian
  • PHOTOBUCKET EXPIRED
    • View Profile
on: June 25, 2011, 04:16:08 AM
I've jumped on so many bosses' heads it's like I'm playing Mario.

No wonder why they canned this series.  There's lag for like 3 dudes on the screen at once.  It's pretty funny that the SNES version could handle more.

Offline Satoryu

• Visually Appealing
  • RPM Purifier
  • Whose franchise is dead?
    • View Profile
Reply #1 on: June 25, 2011, 06:57:58 AM
I hear ya. Having to push dash and jump at the same time sometimes doesn't want to come out. We're spoiled by every other game where you can just hold the dash button.

What happens in Vegas stays on Youtube. I also stream on Twitch from time to time.

Offline Hypershell

• needs DRAGONITE POWER!
  • Legendary Hero
  • Steel in Zee Head
    • View Profile
    • Get equipped with Hyper's DA
Reply #2 on: June 25, 2011, 03:16:29 PM
Huh, and here I thought it was just me.

Doesn't seem nearly as difficult in the original X1, which also required timing rather than hold.  I just chalked it up to the PSP's buttons needing some getting used to (I dash with L, an old MMZ habit).

Also on DeviantArt, Rumble, DLive.tv, and the Fediverse (@freespeechextremist.com and @bae.st)

Offline Sub Tank

• Neo Arcadian
  • PHOTOBUCKET EXPIRED
    • View Profile
Reply #3 on: June 25, 2011, 05:57:57 PM
I always dash with L, but that doesn't help.  The timing was way better in X1.

Wall jumping and dash wall jumping both have the same startup speeds, which make no sense at all.  So you don't even know what's happening until it's too late.  I swear, Vile mode is the only redeeming factor.

Offline Hypershell

• needs DRAGONITE POWER!
  • Legendary Hero
  • Steel in Zee Head
    • View Profile
Reply #4 on: June 25, 2011, 06:35:50 PM
That's kinda my thought on both PSP games; if you want the blue bomber, you're better off playing the originals.  The PSP games are mainly awesome for their new characters, but lousy as remakes.

In the case of MHX, my main issue is their nerfing the buster upgrade.  If I want a game with a crapass arm capsule, I'll play X3.  And no, the Z-Buster is no redemption; its strength is the exact same as the spiral's cumulative power (it just does better on bosses due to being a single shot).  The Super NES shot was 1.5-2 times as powerful, depending on range, and it could tag enemies around/behind you.

Yoshikawa's unfortunate habit of refusing to draw armor for in-game mugshots doesn't help any.  Much as I love X6's gameplay, if its presentation is out-performing your own, there's a problem.

Also on DeviantArt, Rumble, DLive.tv, and the Fediverse (@freespeechextremist.com and @bae.st)

Offline Flame

• The obsessive
  • RPM Soldier
    • View Profile
Reply #5 on: June 26, 2011, 03:55:04 AM
Even X4's rare mugshots showed X's armor. And If I remember right, they adapted to what you had, if only the head part, only the head part, and if you didnt have that but had the body part, that would show up.

regardless, Both X4 and X6 showed Armors in their Mugshots.

...When Larry the reploid accountant goes maverick of his own accord, he's certainly formidable during tax season, but he isn't going to provide X the challenge needed to make him grow as a warrior and reach his potential.

Offline OBJECTION MAN

• Neo Arcadian
    • View Profile
Reply #6 on: June 27, 2011, 05:54:50 AM
X4 and X6 had a single mug shot though, of just the head and shoulders (not even shoulders for X6). MHX had many poses. It's like bitching that X6's cut scenes don't have the armor showing.

TWITCH   ➧ TWITTER   ➧ DISCORD   ➧ MY GAMES

Knockout Mondays
Experimental day: Fighting game engine project Live Gamedev (8PM - 10 PM EST)

WIP Wednesdays
Hamster Drop Gold Edition Live Gamedev (8PM - 10 PM EST)

Weekend Game Hangout
Marc, Amber, & Friends (Saturday Evening EST)

Offline Hypershell

• needs DRAGONITE POWER!
  • Legendary Hero
  • Steel in Zee Head
    • View Profile
Reply #7 on: June 27, 2011, 11:41:13 PM
Yes, but X6 had 4 possible armors.  MHX has one.

For cutscenes taking place out of the gameplay stages, it is conceivable that X may disengage his armor.  When you plainly see the armored polygon model in the background, no amount of "what if"s will cover you.

Offline Treleus

• B-Class Hunter
    • View Profile
Reply #8 on: February 24, 2012, 07:23:27 PM
I wonder if this problem will recur on the downloadable Vita version. :/

@Hypershell: I know! That arm upgrade is pathetic. What the hell, guys? You were doing so well with stackable Maverick weapons, too.

Then again, I wouldn't really care to hear what it must sound like if Gatha passes a bowling ball whenever I reach the third charge level, so [tornado fang] it. Do-over!

Offline Satoryu

• Visually Appealing
  • RPM Purifier
  • Whose franchise is dead?
    • View Profile
Reply #9 on: February 24, 2012, 11:55:11 PM
There's no Vita exclusive version for MHX. The thing you're downloading on the Vita is the same thing you can download on the PSP. The only difference is load times.

What happens in Vegas stays on Youtube. I also stream on Twitch from time to time.

Offline Hypershell

• needs DRAGONITE POWER!
  • Legendary Hero
  • Steel in Zee Head
    • View Profile
Reply #10 on: February 24, 2012, 11:59:00 PM
That and the screen is prettier.  Not sure but it looked like the aspect ratio was slightly different as well (although that might actually help MHX; some of those characters looked like their upper arms were two inches long in the original).