Mega Man Legends 3 Prototype version officially announced!

Turian · 65781

Offline Phi

• RPM Knight
    • View Profile
Reply #225 on: July 22, 2011, 11:52:56 PM
:(

Yeah, i posted that before i saw that they made Solatorobo.

Offline Hypershell

• needs DRAGONITE POWER!
  • Legendary Hero
  • Steel in Zee Head
    • View Profile
    • Get equipped with Hyper's DA
Reply #226 on: July 23, 2011, 12:08:09 AM
As the Vita is being pushed as "almost a pocket-sized PS3", I doubt the 3DS resources would be of much help.  If "risk" is the problem, which we all know it is, then resuming what was started will help a lot more than wiping it all out.

Further, as I've mentioned elsewhere, Capcom gave us a valid reason for choosing the 3DS in that they were aiming for an "early adopter" audience.  They wanted less competition, they wanted to catch the "core" crowd, they wanted to get the word out among the fanatical, they wanted their game to stand out compared to relatively few options.  In short, the 3DS is exactly what they bargained for.

I think hardware sales being literally 10% less than Nintendo anticipated is a pretty weak excuse to be abandoning that.

Also on DeviantArt, Rumble, DLive.tv, and the Fediverse (@freespeechextremist.com and @bae.st)

Offline Phi

• RPM Knight
    • View Profile
Reply #227 on: July 23, 2011, 12:27:26 AM
Im pretty sure it's graphics are good enough for it's era. At least the facial expressions all are done perfectly. many gmes fell to the trap of trying to actually make the faces themselves move with polygons, which didnt always work. legends just stretched the canvas over the faces and animated them instead.

Thats aid, the 3DS Legends graphics themselves looked pretty sweet IMO, so either way its a win win.

The character models themselves were good, considering it's using the style and animation that the previous MML games had. But the buildings and landscapes looked terrible. I'll give them the benefit of the doubt given that was still a prototype, so it is passable in that aspect. Other than that, the game definitly has undeniable charm.

If they do make it multi-platform, the graphics might not be only thing inferior on the 3DS version. They might focus too much on the "superior" platform, leaving the 3DS with all the bugs and glitches. Things like that have happened before. I don't want to sound negative, but i just fear for that a little.

Offline OBJECTION MAN

• Neo Arcadian
    • View Profile
Reply #228 on: July 23, 2011, 06:15:09 AM
Agreeing above on graphics.

If it was all Legends PSX quality in it's entirety, as much as a cop out that is, It would still look good.

The reason the prototype didn't particularly look good is not because any one part of the game was lacking in individual quality, so much as it was inconsistency between the assets. The character models were well made with a nice high poly look, very contrasted with the buildings with had a down right minimalistic look. That contrast is what creates the bad look. Though you can't deny other 3DS games already looked better, consistency aside. I believe this is merely due to it being a prototype version.

TWITCH   ➧ TWITTER   ➧ DISCORD   ➧ MY GAMES

Knockout Mondays
Experimental day: Fighting game engine project Live Gamedev (8PM - 10 PM EST)

WIP Wednesdays
Hamster Drop Gold Edition Live Gamedev (8PM - 10 PM EST)

Weekend Game Hangout
Marc, Amber, & Friends (Saturday Evening EST)

Offline Protoman Blues

• Green Lantern of Sector 1337
  • RPM Knight
  • Searching for Wanda
    • View Profile
Reply #229 on: July 23, 2011, 07:54:39 AM
Curious:

Would anyone like this on the Wii U instead of the 3DS?

Offline The Great Gonzo

• Master's Unit
    • View Profile
Reply #230 on: July 23, 2011, 08:38:02 AM
Either way, I'd have to get a new piece of hardware. At least on the 3DS, I could play it in private.

Offline Phi

• RPM Knight
    • View Profile
Reply #231 on: July 23, 2011, 09:00:34 AM
Either way, I'd have to get a new piece of hardware. At least on the 3DS, I could play it in private.

You could play it in private using the Wii U technology as well. Simply stream the game from the TV to controller.

Offline Flame

• The obsessive
  • RPM Soldier
    • View Profile
Reply #232 on: July 23, 2011, 09:16:58 AM
dunno. Im certain a 3DS would be far cheaper than the Wii-U. who knows if Im going to get either any time soon, but given proces, im likely to get the handheld first.

TBH, I would like it on the Wii. should have been on the wii to begin with IMO.

...When Larry the reploid accountant goes maverick of his own accord, he's certainly formidable during tax season, but he isn't going to provide X the challenge needed to make him grow as a warrior and reach his potential.

Offline Mirby

• RPM's Krillin
  • Legendary Hero
  • KINGDOM HEARTS IS WAAAAAAA
    • View Profile
    • Mirby Studios
Reply #233 on: July 23, 2011, 10:22:37 AM
While the thought of having a Spotter in the tablet is awesome, I just want this out at this point.

OH [parasitic bomb] IM USING LINK AND I ACCIDENTALLY FINAL SMASHED A CUCCO OH GOD HELP
Just enjoy yourself, don't complain about everything

Offline Hypershell

• needs DRAGONITE POWER!
  • Legendary Hero
  • Steel in Zee Head
    • View Profile
Reply #234 on: July 23, 2011, 02:24:13 PM
As far as my own personal preference goes, I'd have loved to see this game on the Wii.  But we all know what new console releases from Nintendo do to their predecessors, and we don't need Legends 3 turning into the next Okamiden.  For that matter, we don't need it turning into the next Zack & Wiki either, which was supposed to be the whole point of the "early audience" shpiel.

I still maintain that the 3DS is the best fit, for practicality's sake.  It's just too late for the Wii, and 3DS is likely the next cheapest to develop for, especially given that's where the last nine months of work has already been done.  Why waste that effort?  Assume of the sake of argument Capcom does start L3 again; if they pulled the plug on it after coming this far, and after seeing so much excitement, then they would most likely do the exact same thing if they keep starting from scratch.  ESPECIALLY if they tried to do so on an HD console, Wii-U included (not that I wouldn't love Wii controls in HD with a "spotter" handling the tablet).  Remember this is the company that kicked Monster Hunter from PS3 to Wii due to development cost, while everyone was bitching that third parties can't sell on the Wii.  They're not going to approve Legends 3 for development on an HD system.

Further, and forgive my pessimism, but if the 3DS is being trashed as "the next Virtual Boy" for falling 400k units under Nintendo's expectations (which is an utterly ridiculous comparison), then no way in hell is the Wii-U a solid investment.  At least with the 3DS we have good [parasitic bomb] to look forward to.  Neither Nintendo nor 3rd parties have shown any compelling exclusives for Wii-U.  We know from past experience that the Zelda demo won't go anywhere, and a launch of enhanced ports isn't going to make the thing fly off of shelves any better than Pilotwings and SSF4 moved the 3DS.

Capcom needs to pick up where they left off, on the 3DS.  If they don't, the game will not survive another development cycle.

Also on DeviantArt, Rumble, DLive.tv, and the Fediverse (@freespeechextremist.com and @bae.st)

Offline Flame

• The obsessive
  • RPM Soldier
    • View Profile
Reply #235 on: July 24, 2011, 06:43:16 AM

...When Larry the reploid accountant goes maverick of his own accord, he's certainly formidable during tax season, but he isn't going to provide X the challenge needed to make him grow as a warrior and reach his potential.

Offline VirusChris

• Virakin of the Darkness Arcana
  • Neo Arcadian
  • I'm the guy people hate
    • View Profile
Reply #236 on: July 25, 2011, 06:35:19 AM
I brought a 3DS solely to buy Legends 3, even download the Prototype version, but when I saw it got cancelled I said "What the hell!?". I utterly could not believe they did that and they never extend a hand of apologize in a vague form of reason why it was cancel. I'm baffled, flabbergasted,  why is got canceled. I loved Legends 1 and 2, though I never beat them as I got stuck on the Final Area in Legends 1 and I played my distant cousin's Legends 2 over at his house for a bit but I love the style and gameplay since it was new and interest... and downright fun! Plus I remember scaring me or creeping me out when I first played Legends 1 as a kid because I'm walking around in the dark in ruins, where these giant robots come to alive and attack and finally running away from it leading to a super cool scene of Mega Man jumping off onto an airship below him.

I didn't contribute anything to the game, I stood there and watch and hope it would come out, but getting canned. I'm seriously ticked off and sad, I wanted to buy and play the heck out of it! It would of be the most awesome 3DS game and I well warm welcome addition to my short collection of 3DS games. I don't understand why the Prototype version couldn't be release even if the Full version wasn't coming out, at least we had a playable form of 3 to enjoy!

This is even more salt on wounds with Mega Man, any form, not appearing in UMvC because he "didn't rank high enough on the polls". He was #1 on the poll, the X version as he hasn't appeared in fight-able form in a Fighting game yet. They could at least say something else, I have a MUGEN version of X from X8 who uses kicks and punches and fires out his buster and incredible speed and height, who is entirely in 3D! I have no idea why they can't do that! But let's stop there.

I grew up with the X series, played the Battle Network and Starforce series which I enjoyed greatly, the Zero and ZX series was an awesome addition to the Mega Man series, and I got to try out the original Classic Mega Man series and even though the difficulty was tough it was a super fun game. And the Legends series is also one of my most-loved parts of the Mega Man games, it had beautiful graphics (though I prefer gameplay over graphics) and the gameplay and story were amazing with enjoyable characters and tons of weapon customizations.

I guess I'll go on ebay and buy the PS1 Mega Man Legends games as there's no PSP English versions for them and so I can replay two great Mega Man I never got the chance to finish, nor the third one which I believe it would of sold well. They could of at least make a minimum amount of copies, if the Prototype is a success, and see how popular it would be to start making more.

Farewell Mega Man, we will always fight for everlasting peace... for you.

"Spirit-Soul Fusion! Invoke... VIRUS CROSS!!!" ~ Quote from my Virakins global project
JP PSN: UirusuKurisu
Official Husband of Fox Caster from Fate/Extra <3

Offline Phi

• RPM Knight
    • View Profile
Reply #237 on: July 25, 2011, 07:14:48 AM
Buying a system for only one or two games is completely idiotic. I don't understand why so many people do that.

Offline VirusChris

• Virakin of the Darkness Arcana
  • Neo Arcadian
  • I'm the guy people hate
    • View Profile
Reply #238 on: July 25, 2011, 07:25:27 AM
Well I brought also for many other games like The Legend of Zelda: OoT 3D, Star Fox 3D, Tales of the Abyss 3D, Kid Icarus, Dead or Alive Dimensions, and a few other games for the 3DS.

"Spirit-Soul Fusion! Invoke... VIRUS CROSS!!!" ~ Quote from my Virakins global project
JP PSN: UirusuKurisu
Official Husband of Fox Caster from Fate/Extra <3

Offline Flame

• The obsessive
  • RPM Soldier
    • View Profile
Reply #239 on: July 25, 2011, 07:50:32 AM
Buying a system for only one or two games is completely idiotic. I don't understand why so many people do that.
Again: fans = fanatics. I bought X8 before I even had a PS2, as motivation to get one. (and lo and behold I actually got one as a present later on) And my GBA has only Mega Man games for it.

I would have bought the 3DS once the price went down a few notches, and then gotten Legends 3. and AFTER that I would have looked to see if any other games interested me.

[spoiler=nonesense musings]I just started playing Legends 1 the other day- Unfortunately when they were new I wasnt yet into Mega Man, I think my only exposure by then was the TV show. I recall however, having gone to the local video rental place, and besides having Metal slug and MvC arcade machines, (the sound on MvC was so loud that the Q sound jingle was heard all over the damn store) I recall seeing in the game rental section- Mega Man Legends 2. the cover caught my eye, but of course like I said, I was little, not into Mega Man yet, and actually, I dont think I had a Playstation yet either.

That will be something I always remember. the fact that I remember seeing Legends 2 on a shelf there near home. HOW CLOSE I WAS TO HAVING THAT.[/spoiler]

To follow up on something Chris said though-

I just started playing L1, and I actually sort of freak out sometimes, specifically in the Main gate, when Im running away from the large reaverbot dog in the loopy path. im running away from it, with the camera pointing forward so I can see where im going, and I can only hear it, but I know if it hits me im dead because I have low health and a broken shield, and ocasionally, I can see it just barely coming into camera range, and it sort of freaks me out, like "AAAAAHHH RUUUUUUN!"

lol. silly I know. But the effect is there, and shows how despite it's age or graphics, or anything, it IS a very solid game.

Offline Hypershell

• needs DRAGONITE POWER!
  • Legendary Hero
  • Steel in Zee Head
    • View Profile
Reply #240 on: July 27, 2011, 12:30:37 AM
I bought X8 before I even had a PS2
Same.  My brother was pissed because he had a PS2 and he knew what me with a new Mega Man game meant. 8)

Most anyone buys a system for more than two games, however there are those "flagship" one or two games that you must have, and then there's other "hey, this is kinda fun" stuff that you buy for the sake of variety.

And most anyone will tell you that while the 3DS is in no way lacking in terms of volume of software, it is severely lacking in "flagship" titles.  If you're not into either fighting games or N64 remakes, then the earliest big name in the cards is Kid Icarus, which we are still waiting on.  Legends 3, even the Prototype if nothing else, signified a great deal of relief in that respect.  Not even necessarily the game by name, but rather the entire e-Shop itself was seen as providing some precious morsels.  The Prototype Version was not only a beacon of hope to fans, it easily the most recognizable e-Shop title.

The really pathetic thing is that despite being cancelled, it still is.  I cannot believe Capcom simply walked away from that opportunity:  To this day, there is NOT ONE DAMN NATIVE 3DS VIDEO GAME on the e-Shop.  There are videos, there are 3D Classics, there is Virtual Console, and there is DSiWare.  That's all.  Capcom could have had the *ONLY* 3DS game on the 3DS e-Shop, and they were afraid it wouldn't sell, so they walked away from the monopoly that was handed to them on a silver platter.   O:<

Offline Phi

• RPM Knight
    • View Profile
Reply #241 on: July 27, 2011, 01:27:43 AM
Capcom could have had the *ONLY* 3DS game on the 3DS e-Shop, and they were afraid it wouldn't sell, so they walked away from the monopoly that was handed to them on a silver platter.   O:<

When you put it that way, it is pretty ironic given the sales it could have made. Capcom said before that the Prototype was supposed to be a launch eShop title... then the eShop was announced to be delayed. Then soon after, the Prototype was delayed for "improvement". I really wonder if they decided to cancel because of the eShop delay or something else entirely. Maybe it's possible that Capcom went out and said, "eShop launch title!" in order for more people to join the Dev Room and express their hype, which in the end, was not a high enough number for them.
« Last Edit: July 28, 2011, 04:57:13 AM by Archetype »

Offline Kieran

• He's just a
  • SA-Class Hunter
    • View Profile
Reply #242 on: July 27, 2011, 05:04:15 AM
That's not irony, Archetype.  It's abhorrent stupidity.

The Other Side
http://www.crowdedstreet.net
irc.esper.net #theotherside

Commander Shepard: *stares blankly at a video of scantily clad asari dancers* ...What kind of hotel is this?
Liara T'Soni: It is a luxury resort with an... exotic edge.  Azure is slang for a part of the asari body in some places on Illium.
Shepard: Where?
Liara: The lower reaches, near the bottom.
Shepard: I meant, "where on the asari body?"
Liara: So did I.

Offline Tsukishiro

• Seeker of Life, Friends, and Magic!
  • Robot Master
  • Doing my usual stuff, when I'm not sleeping...
    • View Profile
Reply #243 on: July 28, 2011, 04:23:53 AM
Hey, guys... I just found something most interesting, and I'm surprised that this hasn't been posted as news yet...

http://www.industrygamers.com/news/keiji-inafune-has-a-brand-new-comcept/

Did anyone else know about this?

Edit: Oops, I should of looked a little further into the Google search that I made, because I found this as well...

http://www.andriasang.com/e/blog/2011/04/01/inafune_companies/

...and no, that "s" is not a typo. Inafune has started two companies, Comcept and Intercept, which surprises me to a unusual degree. Any thoughts, guys?

Rockman! May you and all those who stand with you throughout the ages fight for everlasting peace!

Viva la Infaking, baby!

Offline Phi

• RPM Knight
    • View Profile
Reply #244 on: July 28, 2011, 04:54:43 AM
Well this is... interesting. I'm guessing he left Capcom, with his main priority of making a company(ies) with his ideals. They can't hold him back anymore. It would be cool if he somehow got rights to Mega Man. No one would complain.

More interestingly, i wonder what Capcom's attitude toward this is.

Offline Flame

• The obsessive
  • RPM Soldier
    • View Profile
Reply #245 on: July 28, 2011, 06:26:34 AM
From what Ive heard, one is to be geared towards Videogames, and the other at other artistic ventures.

Offline Nekomata

• The Adorable
  • RPM Goddess
  • The Devil in The Poisoned Tuxedo
    • View Profile
Reply #246 on: July 28, 2011, 08:51:13 AM
I brought a 3DS solely to buy Legends 3
Well it's good to know you're still one of the biggest retards on this [parasitic bomb] pile.

Offline xnamkcor

• Master's Unit
    • View Profile
Reply #247 on: July 28, 2011, 10:26:28 AM
Again: fans = fanatics. I bought X8 before I even had a PS2, as motivation to get one. (and lo and behold I actually got one as a present later on) And my GBA has only Mega Man games for it.

I would have bought the 3DS once the price went down a few notches, and then gotten Legends 3. and AFTER that I would have looked to see if any other games interested me.

[spoiler=nonesense musings]I just started playing Legends 1 the other day- Unfortunately when they were new I wasnt yet into Mega Man, I think my only exposure by then was the TV show. I recall however, having gone to the local video rental place, and besides having Metal slug and MvC arcade machines, (the sound on MvC was so loud that the Q sound jingle was heard all over the damn store) I recall seeing in the game rental section- Mega Man Legends 2. the cover caught my eye, but of course like I said, I was little, not into Mega Man yet, and actually, I dont think I had a Playstation yet either.

That will be something I always remember. the fact that I remember seeing Legends 2 on a shelf there near home. HOW CLOSE I WAS TO HAVING THAT.[/spoiler]

To follow up on something Chris said though-

I just started playing L1, and I actually sort of freak out sometimes, specifically in the Main gate, when Im running away from the large reaverbot dog in the loopy path. im running away from it, with the camera pointing forward so I can see where im going, and I can only hear it, but I know if it hits me im dead because I have low health and a broken shield, and ocasionally, I can see it just barely coming into camera range, and it sort of freaks me out, like "AAAAAHHH RUUUUUUN!"

lol. silly I know. But the effect is there, and shows how despite it's age or graphics, or anything, it IS a very solid game.

I bought Kirby NiD before I got my GBA SP(First GBA for me. No backlight? Why would I buy that?).
I bought MHX before I had a PSP(20 USD with coupon).

I have a copy of Legends 2 for PC even though I can't read Japanese(Mouse controls are fun).

Games you know you want are a cheap investment. The console is expensive.

Offline slayer

• War-Pig
  • Robot Master
  • Mavericks are for pussies...real men kill Aliens
    • View Profile
    • MY fan thingys , help me overcome my fear to show my draws please
Reply #248 on: July 28, 2011, 11:11:00 PM
I bought Kirby NiD before I got my GBA SP(First GBA for me. No backlight? Why would I buy that?).
I bought MHX before I had a PSP(20 USD with coupon).

I have a copy of Legends 2 for PC even though I can't read Japanese(Mouse controls are fun).

Games you know you want are a cheap investment. The console is expensive.

true dat....
some people resort to emulators when they only want only type of game....
for example i don`t have a psx, but with a emulator a pc and a copie of legend and legend 2.....viola!!!!

Offline Bueno Excelente

• Diddlyboodlyzoodly
  • Master's Unit
    • View Profile
Reply #249 on: September 17, 2011, 02:35:29 AM
http://uk.ds.ign.com/articles/119/1195061p1.html

Posting for drama purposes. New revelations 'n [parasitic bomb].