• View Profile
Reply #400 on: October 16, 2011, 07:39:06 PM
....I'm getting both versions >_>

Offline Bueno Excelente

• Diddlyboodlyzoodly
  • Master's Unit
    • View Profile
Reply #401 on: October 16, 2011, 09:02:26 PM
True. Noone cares about that version anyway.

Except apparently Sonic fans
Actually, I do, and so do alot of other people. Because it's a completely different game, with different bosses and different levels all around. Some people prefer the levels from the 3DS version.

Offline Flame

• The obsessive
  • RPM Soldier
    • View Profile
Reply #402 on: October 16, 2011, 09:52:11 PM
Yknow Im really wondering, considering what the 3DS can do, why dont they just make it like the console version? and by that, I mean not just Sonic with boost vs Sonic without boost. Why not make Modern Sonic's levels 3D instead of 2D? Its not impossible..

EDIT: I JUST noticed. the console version is taking a page from the PS2/Wii version of Unleashed and having Sonic ball up when he boosts into a dash pad.

Also, as an added little bit, he also balls up when he drifts.

<3

It was something I sorely missed in the 360/PS3 version of Unleashed, and in Colors.

...When Larry the reploid accountant goes maverick of his own accord, he's certainly formidable during tax season, but he isn't going to provide X the challenge needed to make him grow as a warrior and reach his potential.

Offline Bueno Excelente

• Diddlyboodlyzoodly
  • Master's Unit
    • View Profile
Reply #403 on: October 16, 2011, 11:12:42 PM
Yknow Im really wondering, considering what the 3DS can do, why dont they just make it like the console version? and by that, I mean not just Sonic with boost vs Sonic without boost. Why not make Modern Sonic's levels 3D instead of 2D? Its not impossible..

EDIT: I JUST noticed. the console version is taking a page from the PS2/Wii version of Unleashed and having Sonic ball up when he boosts into a dash pad.

Also, as an added little bit, he also balls up when he drifts.

<3

It was something I sorely missed in the 360/PS3 version of Unleashed, and in Colors.
Because the 3DS can't DO what you're proposing. The 3DS can't reach what the 360/PS3/PC versions can, specially when no version was even made for the Wii. Why should the 3DS be as good? Be thankful that it's a completely different and reworked version, because instead of being a gimped-down version of a game on a system that could never support the Hedgehog Engine, it's got the potencial to be a very good game on its own, while carrying over more beloved levels that fans have been asking for.

Offline Hypershell

• needs DRAGONITE POWER!
  • Legendary Hero
  • Steel in Zee Head
    • View Profile
    • Get equipped with Hyper's DA
Reply #404 on: October 17, 2011, 03:31:00 AM
I can certainly see both sides of that discussion.  One hand, a unique experience with even more nostalgic stages/bosses than we would have had with the consoles alone is awesome.  On the other, a scaled-down version (obviously the 3DS cannot handle a direct port) that included some actual 3D stages would have been appreciated as well.  I'm happy with what we're getting, but I can see why some wouldn't be.

I got some hands-on time with the 3DS game today, modern Sonic in Mushroom Hill Act 2.  The game moves extremely quickly, and the screen is panned back fairly far, which can at times make things difficult to see.  Thankfully, the over-use of bottomless pits is gone, and loose rings are pretty easy to re-aquire, so the game wasn't necessarily frustrating.  It might take some getting used to.  I'd imagine that classic Sonic, being without the boost and all, is a little more user-friendly.  But IIRC his stages in the 3DS are fairly straight ports.  I didn't get to confirm this for myself, though.

Also on DeviantArt, Rumble, DLive.tv, and the Fediverse (@freespeechextremist.com and @bae.st)

Offline Kieran

• He's just a
  • SA-Class Hunter
    • View Profile
Reply #405 on: October 17, 2011, 05:36:27 AM
Well, the Genesis stages were straight ports from what I could tell watching a Mushroom Hill video.  They can't very well port stages from the 3D games for Classic Sonic, so they'll have to get a little more creative for those.

The Other Side
http://www.crowdedstreet.net
irc.esper.net #theotherside

Commander Shepard: *stares blankly at a video of scantily clad asari dancers* ...What kind of hotel is this?
Liara T'Soni: It is a luxury resort with an... exotic edge.  Azure is slang for a part of the asari body in some places on Illium.
Shepard: Where?
Liara: The lower reaches, near the bottom.
Shepard: I meant, "where on the asari body?"
Liara: So did I.

Offline Bueno Excelente

• Diddlyboodlyzoodly
  • Master's Unit
    • View Profile
Reply #406 on: October 17, 2011, 09:32:43 AM
I can certainly see both sides of that discussion.  One hand, a unique experience with even more nostalgic stages/bosses than we would have had with the consoles alone is awesome.  On the other, a scaled-down version (obviously the 3DS cannot handle a direct port) that included some actual 3D stages would have been appreciated as well.  I'm happy with what we're getting, but I can see why some wouldn't be.

I got some hands-on time with the 3DS game today, modern Sonic in Mushroom Hill Act 2.  The game moves extremely quickly, and the screen is panned back fairly far, which can at times make things difficult to see.  Thankfully, the over-use of bottomless pits is gone, and loose rings are pretty easy to re-aquire, so the game wasn't necessarily frustrating.  It might take some getting used to.  I'd imagine that classic Sonic, being without the boost and all, is a little more user-friendly.  But IIRC his stages in the 3DS are fairly straight ports.  I didn't get to confirm this for myself, though.
I'm okay with the stages being straight ports. I mean, it's basically a quarter of the game being remade stages of classic Sonic games... with beautiful new graphics. They can't do that for modern Sonic stages, so the level design must be fairly different. And Mushroom Hill, I remember being quite fast in parts, even in the original game.

All in all, I'm just worried about the level design. That's my prime concern.

Offline Flame

• The obsessive
  • RPM Soldier
    • View Profile
Reply #407 on: October 17, 2011, 06:46:55 PM

...When Larry the reploid accountant goes maverick of his own accord, he's certainly formidable during tax season, but he isn't going to provide X the challenge needed to make him grow as a warrior and reach his potential.

Offline Bueno Excelente

• Diddlyboodlyzoodly
  • Master's Unit
    • View Profile

Offline Mirby

• RPM's Krillin
  • Legendary Hero
  • KINGDOM HEARTS IS WAAAAAAA
    • View Profile
    • Mirby Studios
Reply #409 on: October 17, 2011, 09:27:19 PM
That's actually... REALLY CLOSE to me.

Pretty cool. :3

OH [parasitic bomb] IM USING LINK AND I ACCIDENTALLY FINAL SMASHED A CUCCO OH GOD HELP
Just enjoy yourself, don't complain about everything

Offline Bueno Excelente

• Diddlyboodlyzoodly
  • Master's Unit
    • View Profile
Reply #410 on: October 18, 2011, 02:35:29 AM
New demo for Generations coming up, contains both versions of Green Hill.

XBL demo up tomorrow for Live Gold users, PSN demo up on October 24th.

...anybody got a Live Gold account I can borrow? Putting up a Bitgamer account for it.

http://www.siliconera.com/2011/10/17/play-as-both-classic-and-modern-sonic-in-demo-2-for-sonic-generations/

EDIT: Demo's out on the US. Have fun.

....after trying it out for awhile, I loved it. It's basically Unleashed, if Unleashed had multiple paths, good level design, better graphics, better music, Colors' physics improved in terms of momentum and running/walking being actually different, and the GOD DAMN HOMING ATTACK WORKS WAY BETTER NOW. (almost as good as in Adventure 1/2) If the whole game's as good as this, I will be happy.
« Last Edit: October 19, 2011, 02:40:37 AM by Bueno Excelente »

Offline AquaTeamV3

• Class SSS Digger
  • SA-Class Hunter
  • Your friendly neighborhood digger!
    • View Profile
    • The Digger's Database
Reply #411 on: October 19, 2011, 04:26:39 AM
How does Classic Sonic feel?

PSN: AquaTeamV3
NNID: BaconStunner
GGPO: AquaTeamV3
My YouTube Channel
The Digger's Database (My Megaman Legends site)

Offline VixyNyan

• Kind & Generous Fluffy Pillow~
  • RPM Ecchi Princess
  • ♪ Vixylicious Nya Nya~ ♪
    • View Profile
    • Rockman Perfect Memories
Reply #412 on: October 19, 2011, 04:41:40 AM
I love the demo, and I will be happy to get my Collector's Edition soon~

Also, music rips are all over the net now, specially this one~

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uHLK_vWErCQ[/youtube]

Nintendo 3DS Friend Code: 3480-2506-4200
[DeviantArt|Twitch.tv|Youtube|Fan Work|WiiVC|Character File]
Rock10: Ranking. Rock9: AC, EA, SS, Challenge, Ranking.
(c) Sky Child~                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                         

Offline Flame

• The obsessive
  • RPM Soldier
    • View Profile
Reply #413 on: October 19, 2011, 05:03:17 AM
How does Classic Sonic feel?
yeah I recall the previous demo people felt he needed a bit of work.

Offline Kieran

• He's just a
  • SA-Class Hunter
    • View Profile
Reply #414 on: October 19, 2011, 05:33:37 AM
Classic Sonic feels more or less like the previous demo.  I haven't noticed any major changes, at least.

He plays fine, but I wish they'd pull the camera back a little more when you're running at speed.  Green Hill is such a busy stage, it's difficult to make out what's going on around you.

It surprised me how much I liked Modern Green Hill (save for the music, which I still think is terrible).  The stage design is pretty damn good.  Of course, it's easier to actually notice that when you don't use the boost constantly (or at all in my case), unlike everybody who has ever been featured playing that game in a YouTube video. 9_9

The Other Side

Commander Shepard: *stares blankly at a video of scantily clad asari dancers* ...What kind of hotel is this?
Liara T'Soni: It is a luxury resort with an... exotic edge.  Azure is slang for a part of the asari body in some places on Illium.

Offline megaman24681012

• Toa of Ice
  • B-Class Hunter
  • Shoulda chose a better name.
    • View Profile
Reply #415 on: October 19, 2011, 07:10:55 AM
I love the demo, and I will be happy to get my Collector's Edition soon~

Also, music rips are all over the net now, specially this one~

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uHLK_vWErCQ[/youtube]

:O :V :3 owo 0v0 owob *o* <3

I, I... *starts crying* this is BEAUTIFUL!!!  O^O

Kopaka: "That leaves you and I, Tahu Nuva."
Tahu: "No. That leaves only me."

Offline Bueno Excelente

• Diddlyboodlyzoodly
  • Master's Unit
    • View Profile
Reply #416 on: October 19, 2011, 11:26:51 AM
This is the one game that can truly be called "back to roots".

They finally nailed it. Instead of making it a trial-and-error HELL like Unleashed was, they make it in a way that if you miss a platform, jump or homing attack, there's always one or two lower paths you can proceed through.

Just make the rest of the levels seem as good as this, and we got ourselves a game.

Offline VixyNyan

• Kind & Generous Fluffy Pillow~
  • RPM Ecchi Princess
  • ♪ Vixylicious Nya Nya~ ♪
    • View Profile
    • Rockman Perfect Memories
Reply #417 on: October 23, 2011, 06:15:45 AM

Nintendo 3DS Friend Code: 3480-2506-4200
[DeviantArt|Twitch.tv|Youtube|Fan Work|WiiVC|Character File]
Rock10: Ranking. Rock9: AC, EA, SS, Challenge, Ranking.
(c) Sky Child~                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                         

Offline Flame

• The obsessive
  • RPM Soldier
    • View Profile
Reply #418 on: October 23, 2011, 07:28:34 AM
oooooh man, that was great. That was so great.

Hmm. so theres a red ring achievement and a "Treasure Hunter" one that shows the emeralds...

He mentioned that the red rings give you "unlockables" is it possible that they ARENT for Supersonic here? I sure hope so.

Offline Bueno Excelente

• Diddlyboodlyzoodly
  • Master's Unit
    • View Profile
Reply #419 on: October 23, 2011, 10:13:51 AM
oooooh man, that was great. That was so great.

Hmm. so theres a red ring achievement and a "Treasure Hunter" one that shows the emeralds...

He mentioned that the red rings give you "unlockables" is it possible that they ARENT for Supersonic here? I sure hope so.
There's a cauge that checks how many emeralds you have, so no, they most probably aren't for Super Sonic here.

Offline Kieran

• He's just a
  • SA-Class Hunter
    • View Profile
Reply #420 on: October 23, 2011, 05:03:27 PM
You had to have all seven emeralds PLUS get all the red rings in any stage you wanted Super Sonic in, in Colors.

The Other Side

Offline Bueno Excelente

• Diddlyboodlyzoodly
  • Master's Unit
    • View Profile
Reply #421 on: October 23, 2011, 05:28:40 PM
You had to have all seven emeralds PLUS get all the red rings in any stage you wanted Super Sonic in, in Colors.
You had to have all the red rings in an area to gain access to the emerald stages to begin with, so it's kinda the same thing.

Offline Flame

• The obsessive
  • RPM Soldier
    • View Profile
Reply #422 on: October 23, 2011, 10:49:09 PM
basically flip his statement around and you've got it. :P

Offline Bueno Excelente

• Diddlyboodlyzoodly
  • Master's Unit
    • View Profile
Reply #423 on: October 23, 2011, 11:43:09 PM
Look at the CNet preview. You got two emeralds, yet he doesn't have all of the red rings in any of the levels. They're not connected.

Offline Hypershell

• needs DRAGONITE POWER!
  • Legendary Hero
  • Steel in Zee Head
    • View Profile
    • Get equipped with Hyper's DA
Reply #424 on: October 24, 2011, 04:05:43 AM
Look at the CNet preview. You got two emeralds, yet he doesn't have all of the red rings in any of the levels. They're not connected.
Damn, I need to get a PS3...

Also on DeviantArt, Rumble, DLive.tv, and the Fediverse (@freespeechextremist.com and @bae.st)