Independence Day

BossPlaya · 2922

Offline BossPlaya

• Net Navi
    • View Profile
on: April 05, 2011, 11:00:14 PM
Oh how well I remember this film. This was the highest grossing film of 1996, and I remember how popular it was. There was a toyline, a video game, all kinds of merchandise based off of it. I was 10 when it came out, and I never got to see it when it was in theaters (which I think I regret now) and didn't see it until it came out on video. I've been watching it on HBO on demand a few times this month and have been revisiting it. I also have a special place in my heart for it, because it reminds me of a happier time. Not just for me, but for the rest of the world as well. That film score by David Arnold is so epic. Plus there's also of course Will Smith, who will always be cool in my book.

Offline Flame

• The obsessive
  • RPM Soldier
    • View Profile
Reply #1 on: April 05, 2011, 11:13:09 PM
Did you know there's a second film in the works?

...When Larry the reploid accountant goes maverick of his own accord, he's certainly formidable during tax season, but he isn't going to provide X the challenge needed to make him grow as a warrior and reach his potential.

Offline Acid

• RPM Knight
    • View Profile
Reply #2 on: April 05, 2011, 11:15:59 PM
I actually liked ID. Pretty cool flick. Should rewatch it some time.

Also

Did you know there's a second film in the works?

I sure as hell didn't. What's it about this time? Another alien invasion? On ID again?

Offline BossPlaya

• Net Navi
    • View Profile
Reply #3 on: April 05, 2011, 11:37:45 PM
Yeah, I heard about the planned sequel. I forgot to mention it in my original post.

Offline Quickman

• Crystal Clod and
  • RPM Sorcerer
  • Classy clod
    • View Profile
    • B. Roth Arts
Reply #4 on: April 05, 2011, 11:55:05 PM
ID4 was awesome.  I had some toys from the toy line (still have one lying around).  It was during a time when CG was used sparingly and properly and didn't look so glaring.  Filmmakers were still using models and the blending of CG and models was in a nice balance.

Though... the very thought that the invaders' computer were so easy to hack still strikes me as ludicrous. 

Offline Acid

• RPM Knight
    • View Profile
Reply #5 on: April 05, 2011, 11:59:24 PM
Though... the very thought that the invaders' computer were so easy to hack still strikes me as ludicrous. 

Plus the striking resemblance to "War of the Worlds"

Offline Wanda Bear

• The Wanderess of RPM
  • SA-Class Hunter
  • Currently Nowhere.
    • View Profile
Reply #6 on: April 06, 2011, 12:09:20 AM
Yeah, I heard about the planned sequel. I forgot to mention it in my original post.
I bet the humans lose. >.> Pro-humans-losing-to-aliens fan here.

Home sweet home

Offline Quickman

• Crystal Clod and
  • RPM Sorcerer
  • Classy clod
    • View Profile
    • B. Roth Arts
Reply #7 on: April 06, 2011, 12:13:07 AM
I'm on the fence about a sequel.  Part of me wants one, though the other part of me feels that it won't be as good and producers should just leave well enough alone. An awesome movie doesn't need a sequel to be awesome if it is already awesome in its own right.

Offline Acid

• RPM Knight
    • View Profile
Reply #8 on: April 06, 2011, 12:18:15 AM
Who's beyond the sequel anyway? Emmerich?

Offline Krystal

• Fujoshi >w<
  • Neo Arcadian
  • 兄萌えが消えない止まない
    • View Profile
Reply #9 on: April 06, 2011, 03:14:50 AM
I watched this movie sooooooooooooooooo long ago that back then I was actually scared. For the characters.
I also watched 'the making of' and I was impressed with the tiny models and thought it was awesome. I also remember briefly thinking that I'd like to know how to do those awesome CGI effects.

WHELP! Now I know. I should be careful of what I wish for.

Offline Protoman Blues

• Green Lantern of Sector 1337
  • RPM Knight
  • Searching for Wanda
    • View Profile
Reply #10 on: April 06, 2011, 04:49:27 AM
A sequel will most likely be terrible, considering the ID4 is really their only good film.

Offline Quickman

• Crystal Clod and
  • RPM Sorcerer
  • Classy clod
    • View Profile
    • B. Roth Arts
Reply #11 on: April 08, 2011, 07:08:42 AM
The sequel's effects will look awful, I can assure you that.  ID4 used the perfect balance of models and CGI, whereas the sequel will use all CGI.  The CGI for District 9 and Battle: Los Angeles look like glaring CGI, and ID5 will look no different.  You've seen one bad CGI starship, you've seen them all.

I miss the days of models...

Offline Pyro

• Wielder of the Chaos Force
  • Neo Arcadian
  • Boo yeah!
    • View Profile
Reply #12 on: April 11, 2011, 08:30:59 PM
That is the problem with CGI isn't it, it simply does not look real no matter how well you try to texture it. I find it funny that classics like "The Wrath of Khan" are more believable because the models give the Enterprise and Reliant some physicality.

Come and read some Thoughts of a Platypus