PS2 Emu help

Pringer X · 3031

Offline Pringer X

• Ultimate Super Robot
  • SA-Class Hunter
  • Pringer Beam!
    • View Profile
on: January 14, 2011, 05:30:38 AM
Ok, so I've got a game on my computer and a PS2 emulator that can play it. Problem is, the game is slow as sin. I'm trying to figure out a way to get the frame rate up so that I can actually play the game. If there's any tips on rather simple ways of doing so, please tell me, but if you need a specific list, let me know what you need to help out my situation (I don't want to flood a thread with information that may very well be completely useless). All I can really say is that I'm running Vista on a computer that's a couple years old, and the PS2 emulator is PCSX2. Whatever else you need to let me know, tell me, and if possible a way of finding out.

I know of a couple 'rubber-band' solutions, but I don't know how 'safe' it would be, especially considering how varied the speed of the game can get (it can reach around 60fps and dip to as low as 15fps, but it usually hovers around 20-35).

Offline Reaperoid

• Redundant
  • Master's Unit
  • d-don't fear the reaper
    • View Profile
Reply #1 on: January 14, 2011, 05:35:44 AM
1) Try both the OpenGL and DX9/10 plugins, and find out works better for you. I normally use ZeroGS or GSdx9.
2) If possible, turn on multi-core (Config » CPU Config)
3) Use x3 Cycle Rate if desperate (Config » Speed Hacks), or even change your rounding options in Config » Advanced

I guess all I can really say is it isn't exactly what I'd expect out of a $4.4M game

It doesn't even have mouth animations

Offline Pringer X

• Ultimate Super Robot
  • SA-Class Hunter
  • Pringer Beam!
    • View Profile
Reply #2 on: January 14, 2011, 05:49:07 AM
1) Try both the OpenGL and DX9/10 plugins, and find out works better for you. I normally use ZeroGS or GSdx9.
2) If possible, turn on multi-core (Config » CPU Config)
3) Use x3 Cycle Rate if desperate (Config » Speed Hacks), or even change your rounding options in Config » Advanced

Out of curiosity, what version of the emulator is that? I don't have those options (at least not the ones in 2 and 3). I'm guessing I have version 0.9.7.4095 (I can't find an exact 'version number', and that's the number that appears on the window bar at the top), and those options aren't appearing, or at least not exactly the same.

Offline Reaperoid

• Redundant
  • Master's Unit
  • d-don't fear the reaper
    • View Profile
Reply #3 on: January 14, 2011, 06:33:51 AM
Oh. Looks like I'm out of date (0.9.6).

EDIT: Well, looks like you have a Beta. Technically, I'm using the latest, but I'll check out the Beta and see how it rolls :)

I guess all I can really say is it isn't exactly what I'd expect out of a $4.4M game

It doesn't even have mouth animations

Offline Pringer X

• Ultimate Super Robot
  • SA-Class Hunter
  • Pringer Beam!
    • View Profile
Reply #4 on: January 14, 2011, 06:57:45 AM
Oh. Looks like I'm out of date (0.9.6).

EDIT: Well, looks like you have a Beta. Technically, I'm using the latest, but I'll check out the Beta and see how it rolls :)

Ah, thanks. I'd update to the latest myself, but I seem to screw up installing stuff (that, and my computer may freak out and have nothing work right). Hell, I got the game and emulator from a friend of a friend, so I'm havin' to work off of what he had.