The Curious League of Comic Book Geeks

Protoman Blues · 11977

Offline Protoman Blues

• Green Lantern of Sector 1337
  • RPM Knight
  • Searching for Wanda
    • View Profile
Reply #25 on: March 09, 2011, 06:57:10 AM
Hmmmmmmm, that's weird. I mean, it is a QuickTime formet for Podcasting purposes, but I guess it can't convert straight audio versions to Flash.

Offline Quickman

• Crystal Clod and
  • RPM Sorcerer
  • Classy clod
    • View Profile
    • B. Roth Arts
Reply #26 on: March 09, 2011, 07:01:19 AM
That's very odd. 

Offline Protoman Blues

• RPM Knight
  • Searching for Wanda
    • View Profile
Reply #27 on: March 09, 2011, 07:12:46 AM
Well lemme try converting the original MOV file to a FLV file.

Offline Quickman

• Crystal Clod and
  • RPM Sorcerer
  • Classy clod
    • View Profile
    • B. Roth Arts
Reply #28 on: March 09, 2011, 07:21:29 AM
That should do the trick.  Hopefully. 

Offline Protoman Blues

• RPM Knight
  • Searching for Wanda
    • View Profile
Reply #29 on: March 09, 2011, 07:56:19 AM
Okay, problem solved. Here is the new link to Episode 6 of The Curious League of Comic Book Geeks!

Offline Quickman

• Crystal Clod and
  • RPM Sorcerer
  • Classy clod
    • View Profile
    • B. Roth Arts
Reply #30 on: March 09, 2011, 08:06:49 AM
Yay!  Currently listening.  And currently dreaming about the ultimate comic reboot that if it happened, I'd prolly cream.

Offline Protoman Blues

• RPM Knight
  • Searching for Wanda
    • View Profile
Reply #31 on: March 28, 2011, 11:59:44 PM
Episode 7 of The Curious League of Comic Book Geeks is now available for your listening pleasure. Enjoy!

Posted on: March 21, 2011, 04:08:20 PM
Episode 8 of The Curious League of Comic Book Geeks is now available for your listening pleasure. Enjoy!

Offline Quickman

• Crystal Clod and
  • RPM Sorcerer
  • Classy clod
    • View Profile
    • B. Roth Arts
Reply #32 on: April 22, 2011, 05:39:16 AM
Y'know, since you're on the ninth episode, by next episode, I think you can safely nix the "new" from the "weekly comic review" portion of the intro.

Offline Protoman Blues

• RPM Knight
  • Searching for Wanda
    • View Profile
Reply #33 on: April 22, 2011, 05:45:34 AM
Yeah, that's true.

Oh yeah, Episode 9 of The Curious League of Comic Book Geeks is now available for your listening pleasure! Enjoy!

Offline Pyro

• Wielder of the Chaos Force
  • Neo Arcadian
  • Boo yeah!
    • View Profile
Reply #34 on: April 22, 2011, 06:48:53 PM
Maybe it's my Canadian-ness but you lost me on the baseball. =P

Come and read some Thoughts of a Platypus

Offline Protoman Blues

• RPM Knight
  • Searching for Wanda
    • View Profile
Reply #35 on: April 22, 2011, 08:06:57 PM
Haha, I think that was only like 1-2 minutes, you Hockey junkie!

Offline Pyro

• Neo Arcadian
  • Boo yeah!
    • View Profile
Reply #36 on: April 24, 2011, 09:22:26 PM
Haha, I think that was only like 1-2 minutes, you Hockey junkie!

So what do you think of them Rangers?  8D

I finally got to listening to all of the podcast and I'm sort of disheartened that there was no love for Richard Donner's "Superman". But then again, I never took a warming to any of the Batman movies. While I appreciate both Jack Nicholson and Heath Ledger's performance as the Joker (though no one can match Mark Hamill's voice, ever), neither Michael Keaton nor Christian Bale had any credibility as Batman to me. In fact, I remember telling my sister after walking out of Dark Knight, "I have no desire to see this movie again." Maybe my own fondness for the Man of Steel colors my vision a little too much. That's just my opinion though and to each their own.

Maybe as a suggestion for an upcoming podcast, I would like to know your top fives for comic book related TV shows (though I don't know if you guys would make a split between live action and animation.)  Something tells me Batman: The Animated Series would be on top, and rightfully so. While I do not have not much love for the movies, I could gush over Kevin Conroy's performance and the quality of the stories. Especially how the producers made Mr. Freeze a sympathetic character. I do admit that I have show a slight preference for Superman: The Animated Series, it would not have been possible without Batman so I'm grateful in that regard.

Anyway, awesome job and I look forward to the next podcast!

Offline Protoman Blues

• RPM Knight
  • Searching for Wanda
    • View Profile
Reply #37 on: April 25, 2011, 12:47:01 AM
So what do you think of them Rangers?  8D

I finally got to listening to all of the podcast and I'm sort of disheartened that there was no love for Richard Donner's "Superman". But then again, I never took a warming to any of the Batman movies. While I appreciate both Jack Nicholson and Heath Ledger's performance as the Joker (though no one can match Mark Hamill's voice, ever), neither Michael Keaton nor Christian Bale had any credibility as Batman to me. In fact, I remember telling my sister after walking out of Dark Knight, "I have no desire to see this movie again." Maybe my own fondness for the Man of Steel colors my vision a little too much. That's just my opinion though and to each their own.

Maybe as a suggestion for an upcoming podcast, I would like to know your top fives for comic book related TV shows (though I don't know if you guys would make a split between live action and animation.)  Something tells me Batman: The Animated Series would be on top, and rightfully so. While I do not have not much love for the movies, I could gush over Kevin Conroy's performance and the quality of the stories. Especially how the producers made Mr. Freeze a sympathetic character. I do admit that I have show a slight preference for Superman: The Animated Series, it would not have been possible without Batman so I'm grateful in that regard.

Anyway, awesome job and I look forward to the next podcast!

Heh, not losing any sleep over the Rangers, as I'm not the hugest Hockey fan. But, since they're out I'll root for the Sabres.

As for the lack of love for the Superman movies, it's because they are not good movies to begin with. Mind you, Christopher Reeves was 100% perfect as Superman, but the rest of the cast is not that great, the stories are lackluster, and overall the movies themselves are not good, the 1st one being better than the 2nd (and we won't even get into 3 & 4). Meanwhile, the 1989 movie as well as Nolan's two flicks are very well made movies all around. Keaton would not have been my first choice for Batman, but he was decent behind the cowl (and not that great as Bruce Wayne, but still decent) and I like Bale as Batman even with his gruffy voice. But yeah, to each their own.

I'll bring up the Top 5 Comic Related shows/cartoons idea to Josh this week. It's not a bad idea.

Offline Pyro

• Neo Arcadian
  • Boo yeah!
    • View Profile
Reply #38 on: April 25, 2011, 01:09:11 AM
Well, I thought it'd be a given. :P

As for your movie choices, I did like the both your top fives though I admit that a couple of them are not my cup of tea and that reminds me that I need to rent "Scott Pilgrim vs. the World" when my exams are done. Since you addressed "Green Lantern" and "Amazing Spider-Man" in the podcast, what are your expectations and impressions for the upcoming Thor/Captain America/Avengers movies?

For some reason, I'm excepting Odin to hungrily look at Jane Foster if you get my drift. ;) Thor is pretty important to me because of my part-Norwegian heritage so my hopes are a bit high.

Offline Protoman Blues

• RPM Knight
  • Searching for Wanda
    • View Profile
Reply #39 on: April 25, 2011, 06:20:10 AM
From everything I've seen so far, Thor looks like it's going to be fantastic. The early reviews for it say that it's the best Marvel movie thus far. Out of all the Marvel movies coming out this year, I think it looks the most promising. Cap looks pretty good too though, but we'll see with that.

Offline Pyro

• Neo Arcadian
  • Boo yeah!
    • View Profile
Reply #40 on: April 28, 2011, 11:26:23 PM
Your brief analysis of Richard Donner's Superman movie gave me something to contemplate over for the past few days and I had to (painfully) admit: the film wasn't "good" from a storytelling perspective. Well, I believe that the scenes involving Krypton and Smallville were well-executed but lacking. The third act is where it came apart because of the conflict between Superman and Luthor. Luthor simply had no motivation for hating Superman, nor did his plan to sink California make any sense whatsoever but then I have to remind myself that the movie was produced in the 1970s, so it took plot cues from Superman's Silver Age when Lex would create some weird gizmo to menace the Man of Steel despite the sheer implausibility of the premise. I suppose I'm more forgiving of that because I grew up reading my mothers Superman/Action/Adventure Comics from the sixties (which explains my love for the Legion of Super-Heroes.) But ye gads, I do hate Otis and Ms. Teschmacher with a passion.

I do still disagree with your assessment being not that great. However, most of them were inconsequential like Glenn Ford's Pa Kent and Jackie Cooper's Perry White. Margot Kidder on the other hand, I thought she made a fantastic Lois Lane (at least the pre-CoIE version) and that she had good chemistry with Reeve.

I will put it on record that Tim Burton's Batman as well as the Nolan films were fantastic and surpassed Donner's Superman on a technical and storytelling level but I never latched on to Batman as a kid. Maybe I would be singing a different tune if my mom bought me Batman pajamas when I was five, and if she read Batman/Detective instead. Come to think about it, was Burton's Batman appropriate for young children? (I was five when it was released in theatres, so I was watching more Disney and less live action.) I remember the film giving me the willies in second grade.

Also of note: wouldn't Superman: Secret Origin make a good foundation for a Superman movie? If only I had a time machine then I would give 1976/77 Richard Donner a copy. Doubly ironic considering how Geoff Johns was his protege. [eyebrow]

Offline Protoman Blues

• RPM Knight
  • Searching for Wanda
    • View Profile
Reply #41 on: April 30, 2011, 11:04:10 AM
Episode 10 of The Curious League of Comic Book Geeks is now available for your listening pleasure. Enjoy!

Your brief analysis of Richard Donner's Superman movie gave me something to contemplate over for the past few days and I had to (painfully) admit: the film wasn't "good" from a storytelling perspective. Well, I believe that the scenes involving Krypton and Smallville were well-executed but lacking. The third act is where it came apart because of the conflict between Superman and Luthor. Luthor simply had no motivation for hating Superman, nor did his plan to sink California make any sense whatsoever but then I have to remind myself that the movie was produced in the 1970s, so it took plot cues from Superman's Silver Age when Lex would create some weird gizmo to menace the Man of Steel despite the sheer implausibility of the premise. I suppose I'm more forgiving of that because I grew up reading my mothers Superman/Action/Adventure Comics from the sixties (which explains my love for the Legion of Super-Heroes.) But ye gads, I do hate Otis and Ms. Teschmacher with a passion.

I do still disagree with your assessment being not that great. However, most of them were inconsequential like Glenn Ford's Pa Kent and Jackie Cooper's Perry White. Margot Kidder on the other hand, I thought she made a fantastic Lois Lane (at least the pre-CoIE version) and that she had good chemistry with Reeve.

I will put it on record that Tim Burton's Batman as well as the Nolan films were fantastic and surpassed Donner's Superman on a technical and storytelling level but I never latched on to Batman as a kid. Maybe I would be singing a different tune if my mom bought me Batman pajamas when I was five, and if she read Batman/Detective instead. Come to think about it, was Burton's Batman appropriate for young children? (I was five when it was released in theatres, so I was watching more Disney and less live action.) I remember the film giving me the willies in second grade.

Also of note: wouldn't Superman: Secret Origin make a good foundation for a Superman movie? If only I had a time machine then I would give 1976/77 Richard Donner a copy. Doubly ironic considering how Geoff Johns was his protege. [eyebrow]

Well truthfully I am more of a Superman fan than a Batman fan, which is why I was disappointed with Superman Returns so much. Instead of trying to reinvent the franchise like Nolan did with Batman, they went back to an already bad storytelling movie universe. Mind you, I actually think Returns is a good movie, in terms of its quality and for the most part its story and what it was trying to convey, but the problem is the movie universe itself isn't very good, which is why I'm glad they are taking a lesson from Nolan's movies and letting him write the new Supes movie. Yeah, Secret Origins would make an absolutely fantastic foundation for a Superman movie, and Nolan might use elements from it. We shall see.

Offline Pyro

• Neo Arcadian
  • Boo yeah!
    • View Profile
Reply #42 on: April 30, 2011, 08:26:31 PM
With Christopher Nolan, David S. Goyer, and Zak Snyder at the helm, what can go wrong?

Maybe I shouldn't have asked that question.

Offline Protoman Blues

• RPM Knight
  • Searching for Wanda
    • View Profile
Reply #43 on: April 30, 2011, 08:33:47 PM
Well Nolan writes great stories and Snyder creates almost flawlessly beautiful visuals, so it could be an amazing combination.

Offline Pyro

• Neo Arcadian
  • Boo yeah!
    • View Profile
Reply #44 on: April 30, 2011, 08:39:49 PM
I hope Henry Cavill's up to the job for Superman/Clark Kent. I'm sure he's a wonderful actor but there was only one Christopher Reeve. Production supposed to begin this summer in Vancouver, maybe I should see about hitchhiking west and sneaking on set.  [eyebrow]

Offline Protoman Blues

• RPM Knight
  • Searching for Wanda
    • View Profile
Reply #45 on: April 30, 2011, 08:55:17 PM
I hope Nolan or whomever handles the casting for his movies is helping with this, cause I don't think there's anyone I trust more than him when it comes to assembling a cast. I think he'll do alright though. Yeah, I doubt anyone can ever top Reeve's performance though. He was pretty much flawless.

Offline Pyro

• Neo Arcadian
  • Boo yeah!
    • View Profile
Reply #46 on: May 01, 2011, 03:47:59 AM
I can to agree with that sentiment. "Inception" was probably one of the best movies I saw last year because it was so well cast, come to think of it a fair bit of its actors also appeared in Nolan's Batman films (Michael Caine, Cillian Murphy, and Ken Watanabe to my recollection) or will be appearing in "Rises" (Joseph Gordon-Levitt, Tom Hardy). Makes me wonder if we'll see a cameo or two in "Man of Steel".

Offline Protoman Blues

• RPM Knight
  • Searching for Wanda
    • View Profile
Reply #47 on: May 03, 2011, 09:36:25 PM
Episode 11 of The Curious League of Comic Book Geeks is now available for your listening pleasure. Enjoy!

Oh and Pyro, I mentioned to Josh the Top 5 Comic Book related TV/Cartoon shows, and we'll eventually be doing that. Not next episode though, as we'll most likely be discussing Thor!

Offline Pyro

• Neo Arcadian
  • Boo yeah!
    • View Profile
Reply #48 on: May 04, 2011, 04:28:31 AM
Wow, Josh doesn't like Firestorm?  :'(

Bummer. He's my favorite characters for the same reason you listed Spider-Man as one of yours and it's funny that 'stormy is the "anti-Spidey" created by longtime Spider-Man writer, Gerry Conway. The "Fury of Firestorm" run was typical eighties superhero fare but it was fun and the social implications of two people as a composite superhero was an interesting take.

So that begs the question: what's your take on the Nuclear Man, PB?

Offline Protoman Blues

• RPM Knight
  • Searching for Wanda
    • View Profile
Reply #49 on: May 04, 2011, 04:53:37 AM
Josh doesn't like Firestorm in Brightest Day, for reasons I tend to agree with. The majority of the time, all they did was whine at each other.

Overall though I've always been a fan of the character. I actually like when Jason took over.