• Rather Unique
  • RPM Knight
  • Long time no see!
    • View Profile
on: November 18, 2010, 07:51:00 AM

Manga

Manga Writer & Artist - Atsushi Ohkubo
Release Type - Monthly
Magazine - Shonen Gangan (Former home of Fullmetal Alchemist)
Length - 80 Chapters Ongoing (As of November 18, 2010)

Anime Adaptation

Running time: April 7, 2008 - March 9, 2009
Episodes: 51 + A 2010 Rebroadcast: Soul Eater Repeat Show; Faithful to Manga storyline until Episode 34
Genre: Shonen, Action, Comedy, Supernatural
Studio: BONES (Fullmetal Alchemist; Eureka 7; Sword of The Stranger; Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood)
Director: Takuya Igarashi
Music Production: Aniplex
Original Soundtrack: Taku Iwasaki (Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann)
Scenario Writer: Akatsuki Yamatoya based on Atsushi Okubo's original concept
Character Design: Yoshiyuki Ito
Art Direction: Norifumi Nakamura
Conceptual Design: Shinji Aramaki

Badass Openings & Endings:

OP1 - Resonance by T.M. Revolution
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aX26MLlRfws[/youtube]

OP2 - Paper Moon by TommyHeavenly6
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RgU4D9UxbrU&feature=related[/youtube]

ED3 - Bakusō Yume Uta by Diggy-MO (Slight Spoilers)
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mPGTvdBF97A[/youtube]

ED4 - STRENGTH by Abingdon Boys School, T.M. Revolution's full band (Major Anime Spoilers)
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7Efx23aJSoQ&feature=related[/youtube]

Repeat Show OP1 - Counter Identity by Unison Square Garden
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mQCJgTKGVZA[/youtube]

Sample Screens

Quote from: Plot

Quote from: Characters

[spoiler=The Story So Far...]After braving all of the individual perils, mishaps and trials of the Book of Eibon, Team Spartoi finally comes face to face with the final and most potent adversary, the warlock Noah, responsible for the kidnap of Death the Kid[/spoiler]

Well, chapter 80's out and I just figured I'd kick start a discussion on the other monthly shonen you should be reading. (The first was Fullmetal Alchemist, but it finished its run admirably earlier this year.) With Team Spartoi's finest up against my favorite mage and holder of the Master Ball Book of Eibon, things are starting to get a bit crazy in a way that would make the multiple climaxes of the Baba Yaga Arc proud. With that said, discuss.

Offline Flame

• The obsessive
  • RPM Soldier
    • View Profile
Reply #1 on: November 18, 2010, 04:07:06 PM
Soul Eater rocks.

Woooo.

Also, the anime had a kickass opening theme.

...When Larry the reploid accountant goes maverick of his own accord, he's certainly formidable during tax season, but he isn't going to provide X the challenge needed to make him grow as a warrior and reach his potential.

Offline Acid

• RPM Knight
    • View Profile
Reply #2 on: November 18, 2010, 04:17:04 PM
Hey Jerry, didn't you tell me you wanted to make a SE thread? Like 8 weeks ago?

Offline Jericho

• Rather Unique
  • RPM Knight
  • Long time no see!
    • View Profile
Reply #3 on: November 18, 2010, 08:18:37 PM
Yup, and I only recently got around to doing so.

...I'd say that it's the quickest turnaround from saying I want to do something to actually doing it I've had in a while. XD

Offline Blackhook

• Dropper of ships
  • Legendary Hero
    • View Profile
Reply #4 on: November 18, 2010, 08:25:50 PM
I thought we already had one...So, you think they will make a  new Anime or what, because the stuff that's going on would look kickass in animated form...

Offline Jericho

• Rather Unique
  • RPM Knight
  • Long time no see!
    • View Profile
Reply #5 on: November 18, 2010, 09:44:06 PM
Soul Eater rocks.

Woooo.

Also, the anime had a kickass musical design.

Allow me to fix that lacking description. ;)

Seriously, Soul Eater as an animation did so much right in a time when I was really starting to drift away from anime. The choreography and energy were superb, the art style and direction were so distinct and vibrant, and the soundtrack was the stuff of legend. T.M. Revolution brought their A game with Resonance, Strength (Under the Arbington Boys School name), and my personal favorite, Soul's Crossing (Monotone Princess OP).

Offline ST Jestah

• Procastinator Extraordinair
  • Neo Arcadian
  • Just chilling in the Nexus.
    • View Profile
Reply #6 on: November 18, 2010, 09:59:09 PM
I thought we already had one...So, you think they will make a  new Anime or what, because the stuff that's going on would look kickass in animated form...
Seeing as there's quite a few old animes coming out remade or continued (Fullmetal Alchemist, Inuyasha, Cashern, etc.) there probably might be a new SE...but I don't see it coming anytime soon.

It would be scrumptious to see the last few fights in animated form though.

[spoiler]I'm a bit sad that they killed off mummy gal. I liked her...even if she had little to no face time.

Don't give too much of a damn about bear-head, mostly because I have a feeling his gonna come back in one way or another..,course I think the same could be said for mummy girl too...

Zombies, anyone?[/spoiler]

Offline Blackhook

• Dropper of ships
  • Legendary Hero
    • View Profile
Reply #7 on: November 18, 2010, 10:06:02 PM
I could be wrong but didn't the same guys work on Brotherhood that worked on the SE anime?

Offline Jericho

• Rather Unique
  • RPM Knight
  • Long time no see!
    • View Profile
Reply #8 on: November 19, 2010, 05:17:19 AM
You're right Blackhook, Studio BONES (<3) were wholly responsible for the animation in the Soul Eater anime. They've also mentioned once or twice that they wouldn't mind revisiting the franchise and doing a "Brotherhood" for it should the audience still be there for it and the manga winds down well enough in the future. I'm hoping out hope for it as SE is/was one of the most refreshing new things in anime for me at the time. Episode one was godlike and one of Bones best.

Meanwhile, I'm slowly but surely fixing up that first post. In the meantime, since this is a general discussion thread, what is everyone's draw to the series so far? For me it was the theme of the show, namely insanity and seeing how Okubo has managed to use almost every kind of insanity there is to write the characters and story lines in the manga thus far. It's crazy how subtle this guy is, he gave Arakawa (Fullmetal Alchemist) a fair run for her money with hinting and foreshadowing all over the BREW - Baba Yaga Castle arcs in my opinion. The concept behind the weapon/meister pairs is also something I found interesting and have actually played with a few times in the past. It's good to see it realized in such an energetic and dynamic way. Then there's the fact that Soul Eater is one of the few fictions I have where I actively look forward to seeing the new characters introduced. Evrytime I think I won't be surprised by them, I wind up doing a double take and enjoying myself a ton. Favorite characters in design alone are Stein, Medusa, Kirik, [spoiler] 400 Years Prior Mosquito and Noah[/spoiler]. Don't get me started on their writing or this post will get huge. XD

Also of note, I [tornado fang]ing adore Okubo's art style. It started out fairly rough and crude in the earliest chapters of the series, but by the BREW arc, it was just sexy as hell. (Black Star vs. Mifune anyone?) His color pages are also awesome, it makes me kinda sad that SE isn't a full color comic sometimes. XD

Offline ST Jestah

• Procastinator Extraordinair
  • Neo Arcadian
  • Just chilling in the Nexus.
    • View Profile
Reply #9 on: November 19, 2010, 05:09:45 PM
What draws me to Soul Eater? Pretty much everything you just mentioned in that post, but MOSTLY, the art style and character designs.

I have a weakness for some very unique and stylish/quirky character designs. Though the story is the thing that keeps me hooked to the series.

It's comics like this that make me wanna make my own, but sadly I don't believe I have the writing skills to actually make it very apealling to most people.

Also yes, I too wish that SE would be a colored comic just to see more stylized pages/moments.

Offline Blackhook

• Dropper of ships
  • Legendary Hero
    • View Profile
Reply #10 on: January 10, 2011, 04:39:11 PM
New chapter was translated...
[spoiler]Not that Kidd's attack wasn't awesome or anything...I just thought Noah would put up a better fight...who knows, maybe he's not dead yet.
Also it looks like Mr. Kishin himself will be joining the fun... I hope the heroes will fill their fists with COURAGE![/spoiler]

Offline Jericho

• Rather Unique
  • RPM Knight
  • Long time no see!
    • View Profile
Reply #11 on: January 11, 2011, 05:57:02 AM
There is literally noooo way [spoiler]Noah got [tornado fang]'d up completely in that attack, just no way[/spoiler]. XD

I'm putting money on some sort of "potion of soul/essence/being elsewhere" gambit in play here. I also don't think that we're gonna jump straight into Kishin shenanigans right away. Something's up, and I think we're also overdue for some more Medusa interference. On another note, "Soul Eater Not!"? I'm morbidly curious. XD

Offline Blackhook

• Dropper of ships
  • Legendary Hero
    • View Profile
Reply #12 on: January 15, 2011, 10:52:36 AM
New chapter!
[spoiler]So, it seems that Noa wasn´t a real person to beginn with and to the surprise of noone Tazca faked his death...His new camouflage is epic XD [/spoiler]
I´m not too impressed by the Russian death scythe Tsar...compared to the others he seems so...expendablle. Well we get to see Crona shenanigans so it might be fun :D

Offline Blackhook

• Dropper of ships
  • Legendary Hero
    • View Profile
Reply #13 on: January 18, 2011, 07:09:12 AM
So..Soul Eater Not is a prequel? Interesting

Offline Jericho

• Rather Unique
  • RPM Knight
  • Long time no see!
    • View Profile
Reply #14 on: January 18, 2011, 07:25:55 AM
It's actually more of a spin off that develops some newer recruits into Shibusen/DWMA from what I'm understanding. I like the idea though, Ohkubo is really good with abilities & characters. If they also use this as a testbed for new characters that can appear in the "main" Soul Eater storyline, I'd be all kinds of hyped for it. 8)

Offline Flame

• The obsessive
  • RPM Soldier
    • View Profile
Reply #15 on: January 20, 2011, 06:10:48 PM
Caught up.

so
[spoiler]So kid managed to connect his second line of Sanzu? Awesome. I can't WAIT until he connects all 3. Im imagining thats going to be some awesome [parasitic bomb] then.
As for Noah, is anyone SURPRISED that he wasnt a real person? I was under the assumption that he was "something else" from the start. If you ask me, he probably just went inside the book when attacked, only to come out later with... a tan..?

I lol'd at how Tezca mentions disguising himself and thus simply puts on a different mask. XD [/spoiler]

...When Larry the reploid accountant goes maverick of his own accord, he's certainly formidable during tax season, but he isn't going to provide X the challenge needed to make him grow as a warrior and reach his potential.

Offline Blackhook

• Dropper of ships
  • Legendary Hero
    • View Profile
Reply #16 on: February 21, 2011, 02:56:03 PM
New chapter of SE is long out...and recently SEN is out aswell.
Kim is getting attention in both of them.

Offline Jericho

• Rather Unique
  • RPM Knight
  • Long time no see!
    • View Profile
Reply #17 on: February 21, 2011, 04:01:52 PM
Kim is a thug. XD

Offline Blackhook

• Dropper of ships
  • Legendary Hero
    • View Profile
Reply #18 on: February 21, 2011, 04:19:51 PM
BTW Jericho..what's the repeat show about?

Offline Jericho

• Rather Unique
  • RPM Knight
  • Long time no see!
    • View Profile
Reply #19 on: February 21, 2011, 04:50:57 PM
I's pretty much a straight re-broadcast/re-airing of the original anime with some new openings and endings. I'm guessing SE is popular enough to warrant a new show, but since the guys at BONES aren't ready to do a whole new anime based of the manga stuff (or the author/mangaka didn't get the clearance to start it up yet; whatever the politics are for these things), they decided to just re-air everything.

Offline Blackhook

• Dropper of ships
  • Legendary Hero
    • View Profile
Reply #20 on: February 21, 2011, 05:35:49 PM
They extra did new openings just for re-airing? Oh well, still hoping for them to re do the second half of the show ..

Offline Blackhook

• Dropper of ships
  • Legendary Hero
    • View Profile
Reply #21 on: July 13, 2011, 10:29:09 PM
Why aren't you guys discussing this?

BTW latest chapter: I am sure that old man isn't a tank

Offline Acid

• RPM Knight
    • View Profile
Reply #22 on: July 13, 2011, 10:33:10 PM
I could probably contribute more but I'll have to catch up first. Wanted to read the entirety of SE soon, but got delayed every time I wanted to get started.