I had no clue that lot of fans hated MMZ4

Waifu · 23463

Offline Waifu

• Ultimate Despair
  • Master's Unit
  • Kanako, the Moriya Shrine Goddess
    • View Profile
on: November 15, 2010, 11:52:16 PM
I just as the title says, I didn't realize that a lot of fans hated MMZ4 but I guess it is not surprising seeing how the Dark elf isn't mentioned at all, the Guardians had "died" in an explosion, Weil apparently doesn't even need Omega or the Dark elf anymore and just wants to destroy the planet using some fake sun and not only that all the cool stuff such as the element chips are gone. Not mention the Z Knuckle gimmick is kind of limited and the parts system too redundant for my tastes, I guess I could understand why fans seem to hate this game except for the easy which allows new fans to play the game without getting all teary eyed over losing. I don't hate this game but it seems thatr everyone else does, Do you believe the reasons I stated above could be the truth?

Offline Hypershell

• needs DRAGONITE POWER!
  • Legendary Hero
  • Steel in Zee Head
    • View Profile
    • Get equipped with Hyper's DA
Reply #1 on: November 16, 2010, 12:10:00 AM
Who hates Z4...? o~O

Axing elemental chips to me is a plus, not a minus.  Simply palette-swapping one's charged attack kills whatever aspect of strategy that MegaMan is supposed to have.  Also, the game features a wider degree of control options, such as a switch for the Command Dash, and *FINALLY* adding the ability to switch the charge attack shortcuts on/off in Ultimate Mode (saber shortcut tends to interfere with EX Skills).  Zero Knuckle was a lot of fun, even if it does lack the ability to carry weapons in between levels.  Boss music is addicting.

While most Zero-series games IMHO were steady improvements over the earlier, Z4 did some things better and some things worse than its predecessor.  There are fewer EX Skills and nothing that really matches the usefulness/brokenness of Throw Blade and V-Shot.  Minigames aren't quite as interesting as last time either.  Mother Elf was dropped like a rock, yes, but the story is otherwise strong, and in terms of giving Zero (the character, not the series) a heroic send-off, Inticreates kicked the crap out of anything the X-series team could have ever hoped to accomplish.

Also on DeviantArt, Rumble, DLive.tv, and the Fediverse (@freespeechextremist.com and @bae.st)

Offline Flame

• The obsessive
  • RPM Soldier
    • View Profile
Reply #2 on: November 16, 2010, 12:21:53 AM
I think throw in the Shield boomerang, and Z4 would have been set.

Another thing it did right- it got rid of the ridiculous high rank needed to get the EX skills. instead, it was a matter of playing normal mode or easy mode in stages. If you used the weather changer to make the stage easier, you wouldnt get the EX skills.

I also liked the parts building system. I like how you could build the Galacta Junk (Black Armor) upgrade, (and then use it without having to sacrifice your 3 hit combo and charge shot)

However, and while Inti more than made up for it with Ox, I was disappointed by the lack of Z-Knuckle EX skills. Such as saaaay... I dunno... a ground punching Giga attack type move? Yeah, they could have gone further with the Z-knuckle as a weapon besides it just being a way to steal enemies powers.

but Z4 was great, and its music was kickass. you cant say Crash IV wasn't catchy as hell.

Too bad the vocals ruin the remastered version.

...When Larry the reploid accountant goes maverick of his own accord, he's certainly formidable during tax season, but he isn't going to provide X the challenge needed to make him grow as a warrior and reach his potential.

Offline Align

• Master's Unit
    • View Profile
    • Natural Selection, my FPS of choice
Reply #3 on: November 16, 2010, 01:00:04 AM
I guess they're not used to a Megaman subseries actually ending OH ZING

Offline VixyNyan

• Kind & Generous Fluffy Pillow~
  • RPM Ecchi Princess
  • ♪ Vixylicious Nya Nya~ ♪
    • View Profile
    • Rockman Perfect Memories
Reply #4 on: November 16, 2010, 01:06:26 AM
G ★ Star, all those threads you made these past months...
It shows that the opinions you gathered from people isn't always what it's cracked out to be.

We at RPM are very optimistic and love mostly every aspect of what the Mega Man games have to offer.

I personally love every Mega Man game and don't have anything against them or the characters.

Nintendo 3DS Friend Code: 3480-2506-4200
[DeviantArt|Twitch.tv|Youtube|Fan Work|WiiVC|Character File]
Rock10: Ranking. Rock9: AC, EA, SS, Challenge, Ranking.
(c) Sky Child~                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                         

Offline Flame

• The obsessive
  • RPM Soldier
    • View Profile
Reply #5 on: November 16, 2010, 01:15:53 AM
haha, good one.

...When Larry the reploid accountant goes maverick of his own accord, he's certainly formidable during tax season, but he isn't going to provide X the challenge needed to make him grow as a warrior and reach his potential.

Offline Fxeni

• Master's Unit
  • Shall we?
    • View Profile
Reply #6 on: November 16, 2010, 02:03:04 AM
This is sadly a big part of why people don't like Z4. I actually enjoyed it a great lot.

Offline Sakura Leic

• PB's Egoprentice and Weapon's Shack Owner
  • RPM Soldier
  • Don't make me mess you up
    • View Profile
Reply #7 on: November 16, 2010, 02:05:52 AM
Zero 4 was a good game granted the Z-Knuckle wasn't very useful except for some parts and I never found out how to make the Sub Tanks.  It seemed pretty easy to me even in Normal Mode because I was able to beat 7 out of 8 stages, I couldn't beat Cocapetri beacuse of the stupid moving wall parts that kept smashing into me, I feel sucky.  Why do I suck at video games besides RPGs? :'(

G ★ Star, all those threads you made these past months...
It shows that the opinions you gathered from people isn't always what it's cracked out to be.

We at RPM are very optimistic and love mostly every aspect of what the Mega Man games have to offer.

I personally love every Mega Man game and don't have anything against them or the characters.
Yeah I've been getting that vibe from those threads too, I honestly never heard a lot of people here saying that they hated Zero 4 at all.  

Who hates Z4...? o~O

Axing elemental chips to me is a plus, not a minus.
Honestly the element chips never help me at all I just slash people with the saber.

This is sadly a big part of why people don't like Z4. I actually enjoyed it a great lot.
Yeah I actually like the series better when they actually have a end, the people who hate endings really don't know how good a end actually is.

Current playthrough: Chrono Trigger and God Eater Ressurection

Offline Satoryu

• Visually Appealing
  • RPM Purifier
  • Whose franchise is dead?
    • View Profile
Reply #8 on: November 16, 2010, 05:31:25 AM
This is sadly a big part of why people don't like Z4.

Really? I thought I was the only idiot that hated Z4's, and consequently, the Zero series' ending.

The story, in general, I wasn't crazy about. But the gameplay is top notch. It plays and feels the best of the four imo.

What happens in Vegas stays on Youtube. I also stream on Twitch from time to time.

Offline Hypershell

• needs DRAGONITE POWER!
  • Legendary Hero
  • Steel in Zee Head
    • View Profile
Reply #9 on: November 17, 2010, 01:36:23 AM
Another thing it did right- it got rid of the ridiculous high rank needed to get the EX skills. instead, it was a matter of playing normal mode or easy mode in stages.
God yes, how did I forget that one?

Also on DeviantArt, Rumble, DLive.tv, and the Fediverse (@freespeechextremist.com and @bae.st)

Offline Fragman

• Made of Metal
  • Robot Master
  • My heart is made of metal
    • View Profile
    • AntiBunny
Reply #10 on: November 18, 2010, 12:02:47 AM
Personally I loved Z4.  The drastic changes in the game systems was a shocker at first but I eventually came to enjoy them.  I personally loved the easier to acquire EX skills.  It made the whole thing feel much more like a Megaman game should to me.

The storyline while omitting factors from the previous games did its own thing.  It's much darker than the rest of the series and that's saying something for a series that's already the darkest Megaman series yet.  It had heavy themes of sin, retribution, penance, forgiveness, and salvation running through the various characters. 

You can see the parallel drawn between Zero and Craft, who while taking different paths both in a way are trying to do the right thing but have caused tremendous suffering through their actions, and both end up paying the ultimate price in their final act to make a better world.

Meanwhile Weil's arc comes to a close as he reveals his true intentions never being driven by greed but only an overwhelming desire for revenge, making him the total antithesis of Zero's arc.  Both are responsible for a tragic and destructive history, but while Zero is trying to make things right, Weil is only striking out at the world as a whole.

Then you have Neige and Ciel.  Each of them being strong support characters who drive the story.  Without them it wouldn't come to this point.  Both of them ultimately having to find the courage to rebel against an oppressive authority and break away from society in order to achieve their own goals.  The only difference is Neige only wanted to escape, and Ciel actively fought back, though Ciel's actions clearly influenced Neige by the end who supports Zero when everything comes to its climax.  You usually don't see supporting characters who are so strong as both characters and as influences on the main character in a Megaman game.

Really I'm glad for Z4.  yes I'd like to have seen the mother elf and the guardians one more time but Z4 had its own narrative about redemption and death that they didn't exactly fit into.  So personally I'd say Z4 is by no means a bad game.  It's a vastly different game, and a brave direction in storytelling.  While I can see how it can throw some people off, I love it for the strong sense of finality it carries.

AntiBunny

Offline MrBaryl

• A new Shooting Star.
  • B-Class Hunter
  • "Everything for you"
    • View Profile
Reply #11 on: November 18, 2010, 12:24:04 AM
I agree with G ★ Star, Z4 just feeled too different for me, using Z-knuckle was boring and the stages were too short. most of the time it was incredibly easy to farm for items and the part building system was just horrid, they shouldn't have replaced the elemental chips and the music is not something to go crazy about.

Bosses were bleh, they should have made them resemble the bosses from X5, and that's why Pegasolta is the only one I like form the entire game, Weather system is another thing that shouldn't have existed, it doesn't change the difficulty that much and personally, It made some stages easier than they were.

No mention of the Guardians had to be the worst thing of the entire game, it's not like an explosion that didn't killed Zero actually killed them, and even though the other recistance member's are not that important they should have been in the game as well and not being mentioned at the end.

So far Z4 is my least favorite game but I don't think it should be hated for these reasons.

Offline Fxeni

• Master's Unit
  • Shall we?
    • View Profile
Reply #12 on: November 18, 2010, 02:22:05 AM
I dunno, I actually liked some of the changes they made for this game. They took some risks, and for the most part I liked them. I liked the design of a good portion of the bosses.

Weather system is another thing that shouldn't have existed, it doesn't change the difficulty that much and personally, It made some stages easier than they were.
Err... so it doesn't change the difficulty, but it made some stages easier?

Offline KoiDrake

• SA-Class Hunter
    • View Profile
    • DeviantArt
Reply #13 on: November 18, 2010, 02:47:00 AM
Bosses were bleh, they should have made them resemble the bosses from X5, and that's why Pegasolta is the only one I like form the entire game
Why? This doesn't make any sense.

Offline borockman

• Super avatar painter in training
  • Legendary Hero
  • DONALD ANGRY! DONALD SMASH!!
    • View Profile
Reply #14 on: November 18, 2010, 02:53:44 AM
Without Z4 there is no Sol Titanion.

You know where I'm going with this.  8D

Proud member of Indigo tribe!

Offline KoiDrake

• SA-Class Hunter
    • View Profile
    • DeviantArt
Reply #15 on: November 18, 2010, 03:18:03 AM
But we had Poler Kamrous

Offline MrBaryl

• A new Shooting Star.
  • B-Class Hunter
  • "Everything for you"
    • View Profile
Reply #16 on: November 18, 2010, 03:20:45 AM
Err... so it doesn't change the difficulty, but it made some stages easier?

I meant a harder difficulty.

Offline The Great Gonzo

• Master's Unit
    • View Profile
Reply #17 on: November 18, 2010, 03:25:08 AM
But we had Poler Kamrous

She's not feminine enough for the fandom, apparently. >.>

Offline Flame

• The obsessive
  • RPM Soldier
    • View Profile
Reply #18 on: November 18, 2010, 03:26:52 AM
Z4 was like they took everything wrong with the X5/6 Mavericks and made them better. Fenri Lunaedge was the [parasitic bomb]. He was like Wolfang crossed with Sonic the Hedgehog.

it's not like an explosion that didn't killed Zero actually killed them
Excpet Inti says it did kill them.

the music is not something to go crazy about.
Opinions, but I think that Z4 was the pinnacle of Zero series music. It definitely sounded different than the sound the previous entries had, but it was cool.

Also, on difficulty, I found the Wyyverns to be quite difficult. Especially in hard mode.

She's not feminine enough for the fandom, apparently. >.>
Lets be honest. If you took a blind look at Kamrous's sprite or image, and were never told a gender, would you think she was a female?

Offline Gaia

• RPM's only Card Collector.
  • Legendary Hero
  • Yep.
    • View Profile
    • YT Profile Page
Reply #19 on: November 18, 2010, 03:58:23 AM
Lets be honest. If you took a blind look at Kamrous's sprite or image, and were never told a gender, would you think she was a female?

Kamrous is just one of those 'roids who's gender is put into question. I don't even know if mandrago is female or not, and not by the female-sounding voice clips it had.

No mention of the Guardians had to be the worst thing of the entire game

Sadly, when someone talks about either jack-[parasitic bomb] about 1/3rd of the group or the other two just praised by the other 1/2 of the fanbase, I nod my head and try to ignore it. And so far, I might be the only one who likes the crazed gunman out of the group.

However, I do like the music, "Nothing Beats" is one of my favorite tracks, along with the game's main theme. I by no means hate it, but nor do I love it, I just like it, it was fun, and it felt it made elf-breeding easier.

Having to gather elves by no means an easy task, but that lasted for three games and I thought some of them weren't very rewarding/annoying to get (Jackson, I'm lookin' at YOU. I can't obtain the damn Cyber Elf without hacking the games to get it).

Workshop/DA/YT/Photobucket なにかんがえてるの!?
So its about ass now huh? EVEN THE ASS HAS 'EXCEEDED'!

One mention of LEGENDS and everyone goes batshit.  :\

Yep, every time when someone mentions that game people get energized for an apparent reason whatsoever. It's like this everywhere else, trust me.

It got really messy to find my sprite and comic topic, so it's in my sig.

Offline Hypershell

• needs DRAGONITE POWER!
  • Legendary Hero
  • Steel in Zee Head
    • View Profile
Reply #20 on: November 18, 2010, 03:59:28 AM
Excpet Inti says it did kill them.
To be fair they only said that after ZX was released.  Before that they said they were off helping other humans.

...since when is Kamrous female?

Offline The Great Gonzo

• Master's Unit
    • View Profile
Reply #21 on: November 18, 2010, 04:06:56 AM
...since when is Kamrous female?

I've seen some sources list her as female. Of course, there are other sources that claim Kamrous is male. (I haven't fought her before, so I dunno what the game itself says)

Offline borockman

• Super avatar painter in training
  • Legendary Hero
  • DONALD ANGRY! DONALD SMASH!!
    • View Profile
Reply #22 on: November 18, 2010, 04:28:48 AM
Now all this boss talk reminds me that Cubit Foxtar is male.

That is one evil trap right there...

This doesn't really contribute to the topic, does it?  8D

Proud member of Indigo tribe!

Offline Flame

• The obsessive
  • RPM Soldier
    • View Profile
Reply #23 on: November 18, 2010, 04:15:25 PM
I don't even know if mandrago is female or not, and not by the female-sounding voice clips it had.
Except see, with Mandrago, she actually has a femenine shape to her, so you can get a better guess.

Now all this boss talk reminds me that Cubit Foxtar is male.

That is one evil trap right there...

This doesn't really contribute to the topic, does it?  8D
Best Megaman trap EVER.

Actually, probably the ONLY Megaman trap ever.

Offline Hypershell

• needs DRAGONITE POWER!
  • Legendary Hero
  • Steel in Zee Head
    • View Profile
Reply #24 on: November 19, 2010, 01:32:35 AM
I really do not see a feminine shape to Mandrago at all.  Posture/body language, yes, but nothing in terms of the core design.

And I maintain that Foxtar's human form is a female image regardless of Foxtar's true gender, in accordance with fox demon lore.  The guy wears high heels, for crying out loud.  But I did notice the complete lack of femininity in the animal form.