New MegaMan Universe trailer, courtesy of 1up.com

Turian · 19505

Offline xnamkcor

• Master's Unit
    • View Profile
Reply #75 on: September 04, 2010, 06:20:42 PM
No offense, but that's a pretty narrow-minded statement.  These trailers are showing gameplay clips in windows about the size of a PSP screen and even at that size you can clearly tell what's going on (hell, I *WISH* MMPU would have distanced the camera that far).

When people say that there isn't a "graphics knob" to turn down between consoles, they're referring to how the entire package (game engine, textures, models, number of objects handled during gameplay, ya-de-ya) is often too complex to be ported between systems of varying strengths and architecture; the pixel resolution you wind up with at the end of the day is a very small and easily adjusted piece of the puzzle (remember that the "HD consoles" are all backwards compatible with SD TVs).

Nothing I've seen in the trailer looks like it's taxing system demands.  The graphics are, as High Max would say, "not amazing", and 2D platforming physics are 2D platforming physics.  Shouldn't be much more troublesome than Sega porting Sonic4.  Frankly, I wish Capcom were taking better advantage of the 360/PS3 system capabilities.  I still wouldn't like being out of the loop, but at least then it'd make sense, and there would be the peace of mind that they're putting their best foot forward.  I feel that their Classic/X developments ever since X8 have been on the lazy side, visually speaking.

If the Wii's system limitations are standing in the way, it's most likely WiiWare file size limits that are the problem, not system processing/resolution capabilities.

To which I curse the mentality of platformers being "not valuable enough" to appear on discs, and applaud Nintendo for "playing it safe" and doing with NSMBWii what likely every other game company in existence would have considered suicidal (you gotta love how IGN covers this stuff).  That aside, I must admit, whoever thought that 512MB was enough space for a downloadable games archive needs to get ZEE UPPERCUT!!

It's up to the Developer what system they put their game on. When Nintendo is the only system they would have to downgrade it for and MM9/10 are already providing ample revenue, there is no reason to put forth effort to expand MMU to a console that insists on being so different that it doesn't try to be comparable to the current gen, in terms of power.

It's called oprotunity cost, and dispite Wii not getting MMU(or not yet) Nintendo still is making massive profits. Maybe their next console will be up to at least this gen's specs and Capcom could go back and port it then.

PS: Capcom, make an Onimusha game for Wii.

PPS: Make Zero unlockable.

Offline N-Mario

• Video Game Veteran
  • SA-Class Hunter
  • Video Game Veteran
    • View Profile
    • N-Mario's Gaming Universe
Reply #76 on: September 04, 2010, 09:19:06 PM
Well, there are a few things that were either confirmed or denied during the talk show on unity-events on ustream.

- MM Universe is not playable on show floor.

- There was talk about how a MM creator might work. There was mention something about one of his arms disappearing from one of the trailers, and they would eventually get to that later, possibly at Tokyo Game Show. So, they couldn't confirm/deny character customization at this time.

- They answered question about whether there would be a stage builder or not. Unfortunately I forgot what the answer was. But it sounded like they couldn't either confirm or deny it.

- Doesn't look like there will be any gameplay footage of Ryu. The only thing we get is the teaser.

Offline xnamkcor

• Master's Unit
    • View Profile
Reply #77 on: September 04, 2010, 10:29:20 PM
If you ever think badly of Capcom's effort towards this game, look up Harmony of Despair. At least Capcom is showing some effort, while Konami seems content with a glorified fangame with online.

PS: I love CV.

Offline Bueno Excelente

• Diddlyboodlyzoodly
  • Master's Unit
    • View Profile
Reply #78 on: September 05, 2010, 01:37:55 AM
I pretty much have only ONE worry about this game so far.

My love for the original series of Megaman stems from how damn well suited the original Megaman sprite was to the physics of the original games (8-bit). In my favorite game of the series, Megaman 9, the jumps, platforms and shooting are EXTREMELY well positioned, because the character's sprite is the exact perfect size to traverse these levels. The Megaman series is pretty much the one game series I can make a pure thesis of how the main character's sprite size, hitbox and movement capability's direct relation with the enemies, hazards and levels is in absolutely perfect harmony. Not only that, but they remain the games I will not complain about the lack of shooting up or ducking, specially because the character's size and manuverability felt perfect the way it was (not fond of the sliding myself).

Megaman Powered Up is a very fun game. It's actually one of the Megaman games I truly like, along with the original series, Maverick Hunter X and the original EXE. I remember having quite a bit of fun with it over a holiday, and it's a very smooth and tightly made game. But it doesn't work as well as the original series did. Replacing the original sprite with a big-headed doll threw away the balance I used to have with the game, and made me play it in a bit of an uncomfortable way at times. I loved it as a stand-alone game, because it felt like a way to truly fix the first Megaman game (which I have some issues with, MM2 was the first to really get it right) and it was very fun to play.

But using this style in a new Megaman game, specially made for EVERYONE to enjoy the Megaman series? This is a big title, I think. And I kinda think they're throwing everything away on design. Heck, maybe I'm completely wrong and the big heads are just for the few characters I've seen, maybe I'm making a complete idiot of myself here. But if I'm not, I think this is really gonna stunt the enjoyment of this game.

Offline Zan

• Master's Unit
  • Unpleasable Unhelpful Utopian Totalitarian
    • View Profile
Reply #79 on: September 05, 2010, 02:30:26 AM
How do you even relate Universe's character style to that of Powered Up? From everything I've seen Universe is trying to convert the NES style to 3D in a 1:1 ratio.

Offline Hypershell

• needs DRAGONITE POWER!
  • Legendary Hero
  • Steel in Zee Head
    • View Profile
    • Get equipped with Hyper's DA
Reply #80 on: September 05, 2010, 03:16:17 AM
I don't think it's 1:1, per se, but yes it's certainly looking a hell of a lot better than PU.

When Nintendo is the only system they would have to downgrade it for...
Your post seems to be misunderstanding me a bit, so I'm going to stop you at this sentence, because it ties to my problem.  And my problem is not that the game isn't being "downgraded" for the Wii.  It's that I can watch the trailer, and not see how they need to downgrade it.  It says that they're making a 360/PS3 game that doesn't really take advantage of the 360/PS3's capabilities.  The game is a simple sidescroller, using a great deal of plain 2D visuals, no especially noticeable effect graphics, and the 3D models that are present are poorly textured.

IMHO Capcom has established a lousy track record in this department with recent years.  I waited a long time to get my hands on the PSP MegaMan titles and was rather underwhelmed with the both of them.  If they are going to continue targeting the high-end technology platforms, they need to actually utilize them, not merely release a compatible format so they can market to the "cool" crowd.

Also on DeviantArt, Rumble, DLive.tv, and the Fediverse (@freespeechextremist.com and @bae.st)

Offline Bueno Excelente

• Diddlyboodlyzoodly
  • Master's Unit
    • View Profile
Reply #81 on: September 05, 2010, 03:20:14 AM
How do you even relate Universe's character style to that of Powered Up? From everything I've seen Universe is trying to convert the NES style to 3D in a 1:1 ratio.
The first shown character was Steve, who is pretty much in that style. The others, while attempting to emulate the original style, still move a bit differently and have different proportions. Which gets me worried, seeing as the game is trying to take an 8-bit style with its levels.

Offline Flame

• The obsessive
  • RPM Soldier
    • View Profile
Reply #82 on: September 05, 2010, 04:08:57 AM
It is still nowhere as bad as PU's giant heads. Hell, Steve the BBAMM, looks more like an acceptable chibi/SD/whatever, moreso than PU.

...When Larry the reploid accountant goes maverick of his own accord, he's certainly formidable during tax season, but he isn't going to provide X the challenge needed to make him grow as a warrior and reach his potential.

Offline Karasai♪

• Absolutely Fabulous.
  • SA-Class Hunter
    • View Profile
Reply #83 on: September 05, 2010, 05:50:14 AM
Capcom has made a epic typo

Rockman's weapon is B. Shot

Q-whats the difference between Rockman and Megaman? A-Rockman is in RM 1-6 style and Megaman is in 7-8 style

Offline Flame

• The obsessive
  • RPM Soldier
    • View Profile
Reply #84 on: September 05, 2010, 06:34:12 AM
No, Rockman is in Classic Style while Mega Man is in "American Kirby is hardcore" style.

...When Larry the reploid accountant goes maverick of his own accord, he's certainly formidable during tax season, but he isn't going to provide X the challenge needed to make him grow as a warrior and reach his potential.

Offline Bueno Excelente

• Diddlyboodlyzoodly
  • Master's Unit
    • View Profile
Reply #85 on: September 05, 2010, 06:37:00 AM
It is still nowhere as bad as PU's giant heads. Hell, Steve the BBAMM, looks more like an acceptable chibi/SD/whatever, moreso than PU.
Still Still lacks the ratio which made the original games so damn well balanced. And considering they're actually bringing sprite-like levels into the mix, at least MM:PU had whole remakes of levels. This is gonna put 3D models into 2D territory, something which will kinda hurt the model=gameplay ratio thing I was talking about earlier.