Megaman X:Rise

kirbyhi5 · 45165

Offline kirbyhi5

• Cyberelf
    • View Profile
Reply #50 on: February 10, 2012, 11:53:53 PM
That's what i'm thinking. Or possibly I could drop difficulty settings completely, and just make stages gradually harder.

Here's a diagram of dynamic difficulty(note this is all in 1 stage)

s = starting point
1 = section 1
2 = section 2
3 = section 3 (all the same regardless of path, leads to boss)
! = optional stage

Here's a diagram of how I originally planned things to be. (note these are different stages connected to 1 boss)

s = intro stage
1 = stage1
1a = stage 1 part a
1b = stage 1 part b
! = optional stages
c = stage 1 part c, leads to boss room.

difficulty would go from 1, 1ab, 1c.

(More stages)

Offline Mirby

• RPM's Krillin
  • Legendary Hero
  • KINGDOM HEARTS IS WAAAAAAA
    • View Profile
    • Mirby Studios
Reply #51 on: February 11, 2012, 12:24:58 AM
Honestly, that reminds me of X6 with the special areas or Vile's stages in X3. Not to mention alternate paths are nothing new (see X-Hunter Stage 2 in X2). As long as they all connect back to the boss room.

OH [parasitic bomb] IM USING LINK AND I ACCIDENTALLY FINAL SMASHED A CUCCO OH GOD HELP
Just enjoy yourself, don't complain about everything

Offline kirbyhi5

• Cyberelf
    • View Profile
Reply #52 on: February 11, 2012, 12:35:39 AM
Honestly, that reminds me of X6 with the special areas or Vile's stages in X3. Not to mention alternate paths are nothing new (see X-Hunter Stage 2 in X2). As long as they all connect back to the boss room.

I liked the alt. paths in X3, though it wasn't really pushed much. I'm thinking I'll stick with my original where there will be different stage segments. Afterall, there's no point in having created a level editor for only 8 stages :p

Offline JKB Games

• B-Class Hunter
    • View Profile
Reply #53 on: February 11, 2012, 12:50:00 AM
A few things for you to consider:

Making the stages gradually harder will cause frustration and ultimately having some players give up late game. This is why difficulty settings is the most optional way to go on games like this.

Having stages change depending on performance makes it so good player need to be bad to get access to easy mode levels. Same thing the other way around, some players might never get to see the hard mode side of the game even though they might want to play it.

Some hardcore players that want to play on hardest don't want the difficulty fluctuating, they want to play on hard at all times and not just because they mess up a few times the dynamic difficulty steps down and you suddenly playing on easy.

Making paths that are more difficult is great but that is level design and not really a difficulty setting. You can't have one path super easy and one super hard. That way you're making so easy mode players not having viable access to all parts of the stages. This also limits you level design and hiding spots for items.

Also, cool looking save/load menu. =)

Offline RockEsper

• Cyberelf
    • View Profile
Reply #54 on: February 14, 2012, 05:06:42 AM
I prefer multiple difficulty settings also for the fact that it adds replay. I really like beating normal mode then going through, more experienced, on hard. Also, fluctuation of difficulty, while rewarding, could also come off as punishment for doing well to some players.

Still though, this is a concept that has been executed pretty well. God Hand, anyone? Even in that though, it can get frustrating, the game getting harder because I do well.

All this aside, this project is looking badass. And whatever you choose, the game'll still be rad.

Offline kirbyhi5

• Cyberelf
    • View Profile
Reply #55 on: February 27, 2012, 05:54:26 AM
Thanks for the feedback. I'll just stick with difficulty settings.

I've been messing around in fruity loops hopefully so I can create some original soundtracks. It's pretty fun using MMX instruments. I made this one recently. It doesn't sound fitting of MMX(Maybe MegaMan), but hey it's a start. Cheers for my first song, they'll get better. maybe :p.

MMX - some ice stage
https://dl-web.dropbox.com/get/player.swf?w=20e08150
http://kiwi6.com/file/53hj5gl088
(Edit, hotlinking issue. should work now)

Offline VirusChris

• Virakin of the Darkness Arcana
  • Neo Arcadian
  • I'm the guy people hate
    • View Profile
Reply #56 on: February 27, 2012, 10:22:36 PM
Where do you get the MMX instruments for FL Studios?

Got a chance to listen to the music you made, not bad! Sounds very much Ice Stage-ish... I like it!

"Spirit-Soul Fusion! Invoke... VIRUS CROSS!!!" ~ Quote from my Virakins global project
JP PSN: UirusuKurisu
Official Husband of Fox Caster from Fate/Extra <3

Offline RockEsper

• Cyberelf
    • View Profile
Reply #57 on: February 27, 2012, 10:28:00 PM
Very catchy tune. Reminds me of Kirby, sort of. But nice job with it anyway. Can't wait to hear more

Offline OBJECTION MAN

• Neo Arcadian
    • View Profile
Reply #58 on: February 28, 2012, 12:20:37 AM
It doesn't sound fitting of MMX(Maybe MegaMan), but hey it's a start.

Yeah, it does sound more classic. Really good though.

TWITCH   ➧ TWITTER   ➧ DISCORD   ➧ MY GAMES

Knockout Mondays
Experimental day: Fighting game engine project Live Gamedev (8PM - 10 PM EST)

WIP Wednesdays
Hamster Drop Gold Edition Live Gamedev (8PM - 10 PM EST)

Weekend Game Hangout
Marc, Amber, & Friends (Saturday Evening EST)

Offline kirbyhi5

• Cyberelf
    • View Profile
Reply #59 on: February 28, 2012, 04:10:22 AM
Where do you get the MMX instruments for FL Studios?

Here's a zip of the instruments im using. It's a combination of sound fonts and individual .wav samples from MMX.
<a href="http://dl.dropbox.com/u/24888465/MMX%20Instruments.zip">MMX Instruments.zip</a>

Soundfonts are just a collection of samples.(Easier to manage). I put the SNES soundfont and MMX soundfonts inside which should have pretty much every instrument used for the sNES.

You'll probably be using these alot:
-Overdriven Guitar (From Snes soundfont)
-Synth Bass 2 (From Snes soundfont)

And for mixing options just
-Fruity Parametric EQ 2
-Fruity Reeverb (Lowcut 191Hz, Decay 0.5 sec.)
(These just make the sample not sound so dry)

If you have not composed music before (like me), then it's probably a good idea to use an midi song as a reference, then  mix & mash parts with each other using MMX instruments until things sound good. For example, you may like the bass line from a particular midi, so you just copy it, make adjustments, and replace with MMX instruments. You don't have to do the entire midi like this, just parts you like. Maybe there's a guitar riff you like from another midi that'll sound good in combination with the bass line, or you can just alter it to sound better. You definitely don't have to do everything from scratch, atleast until you feel more comfortable working with music.

Very catchy tune. Reminds me of Kirby, sort of. But nice job with it anyway. Can't wait to hear more

Yeah I figured it sounded a bit happy. I'll probably do more with the overdrive guitar once I figure out how to make it sound nice.

Yeah, it does sound more classic. Really good though.

thanks, it looks like i'll be spending some time in fruity loops to make music then.

Offline RetroRespecter

• B-Class Hunter
    • View Profile
Reply #60 on: February 29, 2012, 04:07:52 AM
 owob

You managed to do alot on your lonesome!

owob owob

Offline kirbyhi5

• Cyberelf
    • View Profile
Reply #61 on: March 24, 2012, 02:59:42 PM
Haha yeah, luckily I found someone ( kokocipher) who is willing to work on some of the music with me. He'll probably compose original pieces while I might throw a few rearranges in there for some of the non-boss stages. The rearranges will still use a SNES soundfont, but I'll try to add a bit of flare to it. Looks like I won't need to focus on music so much, but here's how a typical arrange would/might sound.

MMX2 - overdrive ostrich rearrange
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/24888465/player2.swf
http://kiwi6.com/file/5w9xp09328

I'll go more into detail about non-boss stages when I have a more clear stage select up.

Offline The Legendary Rud

• Net Navi
  • "aka ROCK"
    • View Profile
    • Rocks Clan
Reply #62 on: March 27, 2012, 09:42:22 PM
Keep up the amazing work!

Offline kokocipher

• Cyberelf
    • View Profile
    • Kokocipher's YT channel
Reply #63 on: April 12, 2012, 11:18:33 AM
Hello fellow MMX fans, Kirby and I are still debating on whether or not to keep the tradition of utilizing classic MMX soundfonts for background music.  I personally prefer to not jump on the bandwagon and instead use whatever sounds good.  Since MMX Rise does go beyond the SNES style, I'd like to get some opinions from the community before making that decision.   Here are two songs examples to show case: two using the MMX soundfont, and two using a different set (calling it the Kokosoundfonts for the time being).  Please give your opinions on whether or not you'd prefer the MMXSNES style or the KoKosoundfont style.  

MMX font version
[youtube]LkkExqo0FJ8[/youtube]  

KoKosoundfont version
[youtube]YKO_J--KLH8[/youtube]

MMX font version
[youtube]uJimH2wDaRM[/youtube]  

KoKosoundfont version
[youtube]rta1NPi-vyY[/youtube]

Lastly, Kirby hasn't been around because of exams.  College typically ends before May 1st.  Because currently MMX rise doesn't have any maverick bosses nor a story/plot yet, I thought it'd be a good idea to give the opportunity to thread followers a chance to maybe submit their own maverick ideas/concept arts for Kirby to see when he comes back if you guys are interested :)) Don't worry if you can't draw, it's the idea that matters the most.
Do not submit/suggest story/plot here.  If you want to suggest plots, you can either PM Kirby or PM me.  Leave a contact if you want any of our feedback.  I haven't had the chance to ask Kirby yet, but I think submitting concept arts(maverick bosses only) in this thread shouldn't be much of a problem.  

Offline RetroRespecter

• B-Class Hunter
    • View Profile
Reply #64 on: April 12, 2012, 04:29:01 PM
Wow! Those actually sound good. I hope kirbyhi5 approves.

Offline MC Jimmy

• Loser who makes MM72 music.
  • Net Navi
  • Pon de Replay?
    • View Profile
    • MC Productions
Reply #65 on: April 24, 2012, 09:36:50 AM
I just wanted to say that this looks really neat and I hope it becomes something great. As for the music, personally I prefer the Kokosoundfont version. It just feels a little brighter and livelier.  The first soundfont however sounds more SNES, whilst the Kokosoundfont version sounds more Playstationy.

Offline RetroRespecter

• B-Class Hunter
    • View Profile
Reply #66 on: April 25, 2012, 10:49:29 PM
Can't you choose both? I would really like that option.

Offline lizardcommando

• B-Class Hunter
    • View Profile
    • Lizardcommando's Youtube Page
Reply #67 on: April 26, 2012, 01:31:04 AM
I think you should have an option to choose between the two soundfonts.