Acid · 222668

Offline Mirby

• RPM's Krillin
  • Legendary Hero
  • KINGDOM HEARTS IS WAAAAAAA
    • View Profile
    • Mirby Studios
Reply #900 on: June 16, 2014, 07:45:48 AM
I still think the Werehog stages would've worked much better as Knuckles stages. Then we'd have had Sonic & Knuckles 2, and that would've been awesome.

OH [parasitic bomb] IM USING LINK AND I ACCIDENTALLY FINAL SMASHED A CUCCO OH GOD HELP
Just enjoy yourself, don't complain about everything

Offline Sakura Leic

• PB's Egoprentice and Weapon's Shack Owner
  • RPM Soldier
  • Don't make me mess you up
    • View Profile
Reply #901 on: June 16, 2014, 07:47:26 AM
It certainly would have made more sense than Eggman transforms Sonic into a Werehog and then literally destroys the world. 

Current playthrough: Chrono Trigger and God Eater Ressurection

Offline Phi

• RPM Knight
    • View Profile
Reply #902 on: June 16, 2014, 07:49:06 AM
I still think the Werehog stages would've worked much better as Knuckles stages. Then we'd have had Sonic & Knuckles 2, and that would've been awesome.

Fully agreed.

Offline Mirby

• RPM's Krillin
  • Legendary Hero
    • View Profile
    • Mirby Studios
Reply #903 on: June 16, 2014, 07:55:54 AM
It certainly would have made more sense than Eggman transforms Sonic into a Werehog and then literally destroys the world. 
To be fair Eggman also destroyed the world in Sonic Advance 3.

Sonic's world is really unstable.

OH [parasitic bomb] IM USING LINK AND I ACCIDENTALLY FINAL SMASHED A CUCCO OH GOD HELP

Offline Police Girl

• A total qt
  • Legendary Hero
  • cannons are cool i guess
    • View Profile
Reply #904 on: June 16, 2014, 08:55:41 AM
As long as there's more diversity between the beat-em-up sections, I'm happy. Cause Unleashed focused too much on the night stages with too few day stages in between, so it got repetitive and sluggish.

That's because you probably only played the shitty version.

The 360/PS3 version has about an equal amount of stages for each playstyle and combos for Werehog are MUCH more fleshed out.

Offline Mirby

• RPM's Krillin
  • Legendary Hero
    • View Profile
    • Mirby Studios
Reply #905 on: June 16, 2014, 09:04:03 AM
Yeah it really was a shitty version.

You'd think they'd have balanced it out more to makle those without a 360 or PS3 really enjoy it instead of making it as annoying as they could.

Offline Police Girl

• A total qt
  • Legendary Hero
    • View Profile
Reply #906 on: June 16, 2014, 10:03:41 AM
Yeah it really was a shitty version.

You'd think they'd have balanced it out more to makle those without a 360 or PS3 really enjoy it instead of making it as annoying as they could.

Hah, never expect common sense out of dimps.

Offline Mirby

• RPM's Krillin
  • Legendary Hero
    • View Profile
    • Mirby Studios
Reply #907 on: June 16, 2014, 11:06:22 AM
"Hey guys, how can we make this Eggmanland challenge even more annoying and nonsensical?"

"How about we design a large section of stage to be easy to traverse normally if you're careful, but set such a tight time limit that you need to do it flawlessly! And you can easily fall off the stage at any point in this section!"

"But won't they just go back to the last checkpoint?"

"That's the thing! There are no checkpoints in this absurdly long section!! So if you fall off, you basically need to restart the entire challenge!!"

"GENIUS! GET THIS MAN A RAISE AND A PROMOTION!!"

-totally an actual excerpt from a planning meeting for Sonic Unleashed PS2/Wii

Offline Nexus

• is one random son of a
  • SA-Class Hunter
  • No one ever said all Reploids were smart.
    • View Profile
Reply #908 on: June 18, 2014, 04:29:44 AM
Well, from a certain viewpoint Sonic Boom's Wii U version really does look like a western, co-op take on Sonic Unleashed. Short speed levels with some platforming that tries to be 'what Sonic is known for', but the majority of the game is composed of more standard beat-em-up action with some traditional platforming strewn about. Rings serve as a health bar in a series-abnormal way, and enemies just circle you with the occasional attack. The lasso beam also can do what the Werehog's stretchy arms can do to a degree. All it's missing are the QTEs.  :P
But yeah, it looks choppy, sluggish, and without substance. Plus for the Wii U and Cryengine 3, it looks worse than Unleashed, which is a six-year-old game by this point.

The 3DS version definitely looks better. I mean, the rival races would probably be a pain in the ass for players without high reflexes if it's as close a race as it was in the demos shown, and the tunnel level looked boring as hell. But the one main level certainly looked like good ol' Sonic with some unique approaches, and I sure as hell don't mind swapping characters on the go since, at their base abilities, they don't wildly deviate from Sonic himself - something Sonic Team's missed the point of for over a decade.

I really don't mind Sonic Boom as a spinoff continuity doing its own thing, but the Wii U game so far looks like the walking definition of a lazy tie-in game. And that's not even going into the in-game cutscenes that have Sonic Adventure 1-tier animations, compared to the normal cutscenes that look leagues better.

Offline Police Girl

• A total qt
  • Legendary Hero
    • View Profile
Reply #909 on: June 18, 2014, 05:22:13 AM
"Hey guys, how can we make this Eggmanland challenge even more annoying and nonsensical?"

"How about we design a large section of stage to be easy to traverse normally if you're careful, but set such a tight time limit that you need to do it flawlessly! And you can easily fall off the stage at any point in this section!"

"But won't they just go back to the last checkpoint?"

"That's the thing! There are no checkpoints in this absurdly long section!! So if you fall off, you basically need to restart the entire challenge!!"

"GENIUS! GET THIS MAN A RAISE AND A PROMOTION!!"

-totally an actual excerpt from a planning meeting for Sonic Unleashed PS2/Wii

Funny enough, the hotdog challenges for Eggmanland in 360/PS3 version are basically the same thing. Though unlike the PS2/Wii version they have a much longer stage to traverse and a much more ample time limit (The fastest level is an hour.)

Of course, its also a Hedgehog/Werehog stage, with the hedgehog parts more likely to end in death than the Werehog parts. It can be tough but at least its not THE MAIN [tornado fang]ing STAGE. Well, it is the entire stage, but its not required to 100% the game.

Offline Nexus

• is one random son of a
  • SA-Class Hunter
  • No one ever said all Reploids were smart.
    • View Profile
Reply #910 on: June 29, 2014, 06:25:48 AM
So if anyone wants to get Sonic 2 Remastered on their Android phones, it's up for free for the rest of tonight and tomorrow on Amazon's US and UK stores (along with 29 other games apparently :P)

WELL NEVERMIND ME THEN turns out I found out about the offer on the second day, so it's gone now
goddammit

Offline Mirby

• RPM's Krillin
  • Legendary Hero
    • View Profile
    • Mirby Studios
Reply #911 on: July 10, 2014, 12:21:18 AM
There's a fanmade Sonic Rush 3 OST in the works and it's pretty good, actually.

Offline Protoman Blues

• Green Lantern of Sector 1337
  • RPM Knight
  • Searching for Wanda
    • View Profile
Reply #912 on: July 10, 2014, 08:10:47 AM

Offline Phi

• RPM Knight
    • View Profile
Reply #913 on: August 15, 2014, 12:26:07 AM

Offline Flame

• The obsessive
  • RPM Soldier
    • View Profile
Reply #914 on: August 15, 2014, 01:39:21 AM
Shadow looks way too happy.

Also thank god he doesnt have bandages.

...When Larry the reploid accountant goes maverick of his own accord, he's certainly formidable during tax season, but he isn't going to provide X the challenge needed to make him grow as a warrior and reach his potential.

Offline Blue Valkyrie

• Master's Unit
    • View Profile
Reply #915 on: August 15, 2014, 04:39:13 AM
To be fair it is concept artwork, stuff like that normally gets worked out before a final picture is made.

Offline Sakura Leic

• PB's Egoprentice and Weapon's Shack Owner
  • RPM Soldier
  • Don't make me mess you up
    • View Profile
Reply #916 on: August 15, 2014, 04:42:54 AM
I think it looks more like a really awkward scowl, he doesn't really look like he's smiling.

Current playthrough: Chrono Trigger and God Eater Ressurection

Offline Amatiramisu

• 6-4 Blackbird
  • Legendary Hero
  • Stand by, Pilot!
    • View Profile
Reply #917 on: August 15, 2014, 07:09:30 AM
To be fair it is concept artwork, stuff like that normally gets worked out before a final picture is made.

So they'll ADD sports tape.

Offline Blue Valkyrie

• Master's Unit
    • View Profile
Reply #918 on: August 16, 2014, 04:05:38 PM
Lots of it!  :P

Offline Amatiramisu

• 6-4 Blackbird
  • Legendary Hero
  • Stand by, Pilot!
    • View Profile
Reply #919 on: August 16, 2014, 10:13:32 PM
Did I post this yet?

Offline OBJECTION MAN

• Neo Arcadian
    • View Profile
Reply #920 on: August 17, 2014, 01:00:10 AM
So is the thread title going to go back to [sonic slicer] About Sonic? Cause, you know, this game is going into trainwreck territory by the looks of it.

TWITCH   ➧ TWITTER   ➧ DISCORD   ➧ MY GAMES

Knockout Mondays
Experimental day: Fighting game engine project Live Gamedev (8PM - 10 PM EST)

WIP Wednesdays
Hamster Drop Gold Edition Live Gamedev (8PM - 10 PM EST)

Weekend Game Hangout
Marc, Amber, & Friends (Saturday Evening EST)

Offline Police Girl

• A total qt
  • Legendary Hero
    • View Profile
Reply #921 on: August 17, 2014, 02:22:19 AM
Apparently though the fate of Western Sega Developments featuring Sonic sort of hinge on this game being a success.

So even if it is [parasitic bomb], I hope it does well. For the sake of an S3&K Retro Engine remake.

Offline VirusChris

• Virakin of the Darkness Arcana
  • Neo Arcadian
  • I'm the guy people hate
    • View Profile
Reply #922 on: August 28, 2014, 05:30:56 PM
Wii U - Sonic Boom E3 Trailer

Sonic Boom - Rise of Lyric: Gamecom 2014 Trailer

Haven't yet seen anyone post these trailers here, so here you go.

Still can't get over Knuckles look in this series... I know it's an Alternate Universe, but still... and even though it's a different take on Sonic I'm willing to give it a try. I like nearly LOVE Sonic games, including Sonic '06, and the gameplay looks great too.

"Spirit-Soul Fusion! Invoke... VIRUS CROSS!!!" ~ Quote from my Virakins global project
JP PSN: UirusuKurisu
Official Husband of Fox Caster from Fate/Extra <3

Offline Phi

• RPM Knight
    • View Profile
Reply #923 on: August 29, 2014, 04:29:33 AM
Chris, did you you not watch the gameplay demo? The camera in the running segment is jittery as all [tornado fang] and the gameplay is like a watered-down version of Ratchet & Clank.

Offline VirusChris

• Virakin of the Darkness Arcana
  • Neo Arcadian
  • I'm the guy people hate
    • View Profile
Reply #924 on: November 22, 2014, 08:10:21 PM
After actually seeing the Sonic Boom gameplay and story I have to say... I take back what I said it being a great gameplay. It's... not really good, heck even the story is unpolished and just a train-wreck.

I looked at video gameplay, I don't have the game and I don't think I will. For an Alternate Universe take on the Sonic the Hedgehog, it was pretty bad and the cartoon show is very meh to me... tries to hard but I will admit some jokes were funny, but just a pure comedy take on that's only 11 minutes long? Yeah, the old Sonic cartoons had a lot of comedy in them but they also had action and some character development... here, is there a reason why I need to watch the Sonic Boom show?

And it seems Big Red Button, who made the game, also took a bad hit. I don't think both official and fans reaction and reviews would tear the game up this much. Ouch.

"Spirit-Soul Fusion! Invoke... VIRUS CROSS!!!" ~ Quote from my Virakins global project
JP PSN: UirusuKurisu
Official Husband of Fox Caster from Fate/Extra <3