Acid · 222698

Offline Hypershell

• needs DRAGONITE POWER!
  • Legendary Hero
  • Steel in Zee Head
    • View Profile
    • Get equipped with Hyper's DA
Reply #775 on: November 24, 2013, 04:20:47 AM
I don't even have this game yet and I'm ALREADY ready to kill whatever wiseass decided to make Red Rings required for Super Sonic again.  How does ANYONE believe that to be a good idea after Colors?!  Assuming for the sake of argument they got the mechanics/presentation right (not a given after Generations...), you're [tornado fang]ing sick of the game by the time you're anywhere NEAR 100% red ring completion.

Also on DeviantArt, Rumble, DLive.tv, and the Fediverse (@freespeechextremist.com and @bae.st)

Offline Satoryu

• Visually Appealing
  • RPM Purifier
  • Whose franchise is dead?
    • View Profile
Reply #776 on: November 24, 2013, 05:08:43 AM
I don't mind them at all. Gives a reason to explore.

I played both demos, and I actually liked the 3DS one better. Both felt kinda slippery, but 3DS was a bit less so. And the Wisp controls, at least for Laser, are stupidbad.

What happens in Vegas stays on Youtube. I also stream on Twitch from time to time.

Offline Rin

• The Hate Machine
  • Master's Unit
  • WORD
    • View Profile
Reply #777 on: November 24, 2013, 01:47:05 PM
I'll just leave this here...

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PTIndpFsBUI[/youtube]

Offline Amatiramisu

• 6-4 Blackbird
  • Legendary Hero
  • Stand by, Pilot!
    • View Profile
Reply #778 on: November 25, 2013, 02:26:14 AM

I played both demos, and I actually liked the 3DS one better. Both felt kinda slippery, but 3DS was a bit less so. And the Wisp controls, at least for Laser, are stupidbad.

Well even in Colors Laser's handling was pretty horrible.

Offline Police Girl

• A total qt
  • Legendary Hero
  • cannons are cool i guess
    • View Profile
Reply #779 on: December 12, 2013, 11:02:47 AM
Figured I'd bump this.

Sonic 2's iOS port got the Taxman update today, bringing it in line with Sonic 1. As with that game the new features include save files and more likely than not a plethora of debug things, but the most interesting addition is a fully-implemented Hidden Palace Zone (Complete with an original boss) and redone special stages (by redone I mean rendered in 3D as opposed to the way they originally worked.)

Android version is coming out later today.

Offline Phi

• RPM Knight
    • View Profile
Reply #780 on: December 12, 2013, 03:53:10 PM
And I have neither iOS or Android...

Oh well, not a big loss. I do wish Microsoft would allow Sonic Dash on their mobile store, though. It looks kind of interesting.

Offline Police Girl

• A total qt
  • Legendary Hero
    • View Profile
Reply #781 on: December 12, 2013, 07:11:56 PM
And I have neither iOS or Android...

Oh well, not a big loss. I do wish Microsoft would allow Sonic Dash on their mobile store, though. It looks kind of interesting.

Get Bluestacks and you can play Android games on your PC.

Sonic Dash is awful, btw. Its just an endless runner with microtransactions.

Posted on: December 12, 2013, 11:24:09 AM
Here's a video of Hidden Palace, its just one act and doesn't use Sound Test 10, instead using Mystic Cave 2P like the Beta.

[youtube]9cG3ZWCvr38[/youtube]

Offline Fxeni

• Master's Unit
  • Shall we?
    • View Profile
Reply #782 on: December 13, 2013, 04:19:39 AM
They should've used Sound Test 10, it would have fit the level more.

Offline Police Girl

• A total qt
  • Legendary Hero
    • View Profile
Reply #783 on: December 13, 2013, 07:41:30 AM
Eh, considering how you access the level (No points for guessing which stage you access it from) I'd say it fits.

Posted on: December 12, 2013, 09:24:06 PM
This is either a nod to the rest of the storyline Sonic 2 started or a slight hint that Taxman & Stealth aren't finished quite yet.

(I apologize if this image is hard to see, it was in the process of fading out as I got it.)

I like the nod to the US Sonic 3 boxart here.

Offline Nexus

• is one random son of a
  • SA-Class Hunter
  • No one ever said all Reploids were smart.
    • View Profile
Reply #784 on: December 13, 2013, 08:38:10 PM
Considering they've done all three other Genesis-era games and the sprites are straight from Sonic 3 & Knuckles, I think it's an entirely safe bet they're gonna remaster the third game as well.

The big question is if they'll finally port the 1-3 remasters to consoles and Steam once they finish that.

Offline Rin

• The Hate Machine
  • Master's Unit
  • WORD
    • View Profile
Reply #785 on: December 13, 2013, 08:40:22 PM
Considering they've done all three other Genesis-era games and the sprites are straight from Sonic 3 & Knuckles, I think it's an entirely safe bet they're gonna remaster the third game as well.

The big question is if they'll finally port the Genesis games to consoles and Steam once they finish that.
Dat would be crate.
Or how british people say it:

Oi, you bloke! Pass me the butterscotch!

Offline Phi

• RPM Knight
    • View Profile
Reply #786 on: December 14, 2013, 08:45:17 AM
Sonic Dash is awful, btw. Its just an endless runner with microtransactions.

Well, I don't really expect much more from a cellphone game. Seems like a decent time-waster, at least.

Offline Police Girl

• A total qt
  • Legendary Hero
    • View Profile
Reply #787 on: December 18, 2013, 11:30:20 PM
Since its not been mentioned already, Sonic Lost World got some new DLC today in the form of a Yoshi's Island Stage.

Yes, Shy Guys and Piranha Plants in a Sonic game, with Flowers taking the place of Red Rings, you can even get eggs though I can't figure out how to use them.

Also the music is [tornado fang]ing rad.

There's going to be another crossover DLC in the future.

I won't spoil the surprise but its in this image.

Offline Satoryu

• Visually Appealing
  • RPM Purifier
  • Whose franchise is dead?
    • View Profile
Reply #788 on: December 19, 2013, 12:09:54 AM
It only seems to be one act, and it's pretty short. But it's free so who cares?

Also, after you complete it you need to score 100,000 points before you can play the stage again. I think you can get items from beating the stage, so this cap is to limit farming.

What happens in Vegas stays on Youtube. I also stream on Twitch from time to time.

Offline Police Girl

• A total qt
  • Legendary Hero
    • View Profile
Reply #789 on: December 19, 2013, 12:13:54 AM
It only seems to be one act, and it's pretty short. But it's free so who cares?

Also, after you complete it you need to score 100,000 points before you can play the stage again. I think you can get items from beating the stage, so this cap is to limit farming.

The NiGHTS stage is apparently the same deal.

But yeah, you get items for clearing the stage, I got some black wisp though like all Items I have no [tornado fang]ing clue how to use them.

Offline Amatiramisu

• 6-4 Blackbird
  • Legendary Hero
  • Stand by, Pilot!
    • View Profile

Offline Nexus

• is one random son of a
  • SA-Class Hunter
    • View Profile
Reply #791 on: December 21, 2013, 05:02:11 AM
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=77g1wLD98d4[/youtube]

If I did do drugs, i'd want what SEGA's taking.

Offline Sakura Leic

• PB's Egoprentice and Weapon's Shack Owner
  • RPM Soldier
  • Don't make me mess you up
    • View Profile
Reply #792 on: December 21, 2013, 05:16:30 AM
God that ad is amazing! XD

Current playthrough: Chrono Trigger and God Eater Ressurection

Offline Blue Valkyrie

• Master's Unit
    • View Profile
Reply #793 on: December 21, 2013, 05:22:49 AM
What did I just watch?  :o

Offline Sakura Leic

• RPM Soldier
    • View Profile
Reply #794 on: December 21, 2013, 05:25:52 AM
The result of someone in the marketing division doing drugs, painting a hedgehog blue, finding a fox, giving life to an egg as well as a mustache, and finding the necronomicon and using it to revive a dinosaur.

Offline Blue Valkyrie

• Master's Unit
    • View Profile
Reply #795 on: December 21, 2013, 05:50:41 AM
The result of someone in the marketing division doing drugs, painting a hedgehog blue, finding a fox, giving life to an egg as well as a mustache, and finding the necronomicon and using it to revive a dinosaur.

Yet oddly enough not the strangest thing I've seen out of the video game industry.

Offline Phi

• RPM Knight
    • View Profile
Reply #796 on: December 21, 2013, 06:03:06 AM
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=77g1wLD98d4[/youtube]

If I did do drugs, i'd want what SEGA's taking.

This is like a commercial from the 80s-90s era.

There needs to be more like this.

Offline Sakura Leic

• RPM Soldier
    • View Profile
Reply #797 on: December 21, 2013, 06:04:32 AM
This is like a commercial from the 80s-90s era. There needs to be more like this.
I agree I missed off the wall commercial like this, there needs to be more job interview moggles!

Offline Mirby

• RPM's Krillin
  • Legendary Hero
  • KINGDOM HEARTS IS WAAAAAAA
    • View Profile
    • Mirby Studios
Reply #798 on: December 29, 2013, 08:17:24 AM
I agree I missed off the wall commercial like this, there needs to be more job interview moggles!
job interview mog is best mog

OH [parasitic bomb] IM USING LINK AND I ACCIDENTALLY FINAL SMASHED A CUCCO OH GOD HELP
Just enjoy yourself, don't complain about everything

Offline Nexus

• is one random son of a
  • SA-Class Hunter
    • View Profile
Reply #799 on: January 23, 2014, 03:22:11 AM
So I rented Lost World, the Wii U version, last week and made it up to Silent Forest before Saints Row IV ate up my time instead. Essentially, the first four zones out of seven (main, not counting the Hidden World) overall. [tornado fang] Frozen Factory, plain and simple.

There were some cool ideas here and there of what I played, but it didn't feel like Sonic at all. And they tried to have your jumps based off of momentum, but since going into a full-on run only takes a little under a second, jumping whatsoever before you break into a full run will completely gimp your jumps because you're not at 'full speed'; good luck if you don't have enough room to properly run, although you usually should unless it's a 2D platforming segment. Speaking of 2D, the speed and physics change between 2D and 3D sections as well, to the point that trying to run full-tilt through 2D sections if you're not accustomed to the level already will probably fling you into a pit.

The parkour was also really superficial and kinda obnoxious; running at anything with any speed at all will get Sonic trying to climb it like a kid on a sugar rush, and jumping off will try to have him launch a good distance away, making it difficult to use well and possibly detrimental to Sonic in a bad circumstance. Not to mention they barely describe how to use some of the more advanced tricks and leave it to your probable deaths to figure things out. But then the level design really doesn't care much for parkour a lot of the time.

And aside from the occasions that shoehorn Wisps in, they really felt.. off. A patch a while ago allows you to get a life every 100 rings (why wasn't that in the game by default?) as well as control all but the Rhythm Wisp with normal controls, so that fixes most of the control issues, but they're still extremely pointless compared to Colors, where those were more like an expansion of gameplay. The level design just didn't seem to accentuate them whatsoever unless it was specifically meant to be used for a segment.

Frozen Factory made me put it down in disgust, though, and probably contributed to not picking it up again. Ice physics, jumping while 'running' on ice makes Sonic get Castlevania jump physics as he does a Mario-like twirl through the air, really obnoxious level design. One part alone killed me seven times in the fourth act, where I was forced to Spin Dash to break some ice blocks - but Sonic refused to stop and would fling himself every time under two crushers right afterwards. I got lucky when he just accidentally jumped into the side of a crusher instead and that finally saved him.

Also, the 'bonus' stage of Tropical Coast, it's.. That skyfalling [parasitic bomb] feels like it controls worse than the mach speed sections of Sonic '06, which makes me dread how the full-time version in Sky Road would've been.

After playing Super Mario 3D World first and coming to Lost World, it feels like an poor man's 3D World (metaphorically speaking), not a Sonic game. But it's not like the low point of 3D Sonic games; it's playable, functional, and completable without being an affront to your sanity. Unless you go for all Red Rings in your playthrough rather than saving that for post-game. It's just not a good game from what I played, especially in comparison to 3D World, even at the most fundamental elements of being a platformer.

But that's just my opinion. I could talk about the plot since I've seen all the scenes already, but really, it's the gameplay I care about. Maybe I just came in with already-biased expectations from what i'd seen before, or maybe 3D World spoiled me in comparison.