[sonic slicer] about Sonic

Acid · 221141

Offline Police Girl

• A total qt
  • Legendary Hero
  • cannons are cool i guess
    • View Profile
Reply #750 on: October 21, 2013, 01:44:54 AM
Actually, believe it or not due to DIMPS, people are saying the 3DS version is, in some ways, better.

Par for the [tornado fang]ing course, I recall Unleashed 360/PS3 getting pretty bad reviews but the far worse PS2/Wii version (Made by Dimps) was given halfway decent reviews. I don't get it, do people really enjoy vapid empty levels and hold right to win levels with only one or maybe two paths and no bottom path ever because that's where the 50-thousand foot drop goes?

Same with Sonic Advance 2 (A terrible game), Sonic 4 (Okay, not great, but some reviewers are going so far as to call it good in their reviews of Lost World) and probably some other not as good as the Sonic Team version but mysteriously better reviewed DIMPSonic game.

[spoiler]I don't have the best memory of the name honestly, but the gigantic robot Eggman that Sonic and Tails fought early in the OVA. Brak Eggman? Metal Eggman? I dunno.[/spoiler]

Hardly a spoiler, but
[spoiler]Black Robotnik? Dark Eggman? It was something like that.[/spoiler]

Offline Phi

• RPM Knight
    • View Profile
Reply #751 on: October 21, 2013, 02:13:03 AM
Hey, I enjoyed Sonic Advance 2. I certainly liked it more than Advance 3.

Offline Nexus

• is one random son of a
  • SA-Class Hunter
  • No one ever said all Reploids were smart.
    • View Profile
Reply #752 on: October 21, 2013, 03:53:00 AM
Personally, looking at HellfireComm's playthrough of Lost World's 3DS version up to Tropical Coast (where the video glitched out on me at the boss fight), I daresay people's statements that the 3DS version is better in some ways is.. Arguable indeed, Clefant. The bosses are more impressive on the Wii U version, but actually harder, even if not by much, and aren't as pathetic on the 3DS version. I haven't found any playthroughs that go to Tropical Coast on the Wii U version or beyond (that aren't Cobanermani, who.. annoys me for some reason, his commentary just feels obnoxious) yet but maybe i'm not searching well enough. With how gimmicky people say the game is overall, the 3DS version's thrown a lot more gimmicks in the way of the first three worlds than the Wii U version has.

So Red Rings are required for Super Sonic in the Wii U version and the 3DS version does, indeed, have Special Stages accessible at the end of normal stages (not sure what triggers it; collecting a Red Ring, ring count like the classics, or just doing well enough, I have no clue). .. and the Gyro Controls are godawful, if you don't have a wide berth of movement around you, it's downright abominable and impossible to play properly. Which means good luck playing it if you have some recording gear hooked up to your 3DS.

Sorry for overusing Spoiler tags, I wasn't sure what I should and shouldn't spoil on the game in terms of factors or opinions. Tell me if I should spoiler-tag any of this.

Offline Police Girl

• A total qt
  • Legendary Hero
    • View Profile
Reply #753 on: October 24, 2013, 05:27:32 AM
Hey, I enjoyed Sonic Advance 2. I certainly liked it more than Advance 3.

Maybe I'm just sour that they relegated Tiny Chao and the [tornado fang]ing SOUND TEST to unlockables for collecting all the [tornado fang]ing Chaos Emeralds.

[spoiler= Stupid rant about how dimps sucks at special stages]None of the Advance games have particularly good Special Stages, but at least 1 and 3 didn't have you collect 7 things in a stage that are annoyingly out of the way just to access the stages, which were already frustrating to play, so if you lose you have to do the same bullshit again. The fact that all the Dimps games seem to carry the same bullshit Special Stages along with them is what really bugs me though, I mean the Advance 1 Falling down a tube on a Snowboard that makes it hard to see where you're going because of shitty scaling was bad enough, but at least all you had to do was find a special spring, though if you [tornado fang]'d up you had to either finish the stage or reset because "lol no quitting from pause", AND you could do it with any character since they had a shared tally of Emeralds. Advance 2's Run around aimlessly trying to find rings was worse, made further worse by tying unlockables to the Emeralds and making the tallies seperate for each character. Advance 3's Tornado riding game in comparison wasn't so bad, and at least it had some killer music to make up for it (And you could stockpile chances at the stage by collecting lots of Keys.), and again all characters shared the emeralds. I never played Rush Adventure but Rush 1 was just Sonic 2's Halfpipe with Touchscreen gimmick, the last stage is absolutely brutal and not fun at all, but again at least they made it super [tornado fang]ing easy to get in.

Generations 3DS was just Sonic Heroes' stage recycled, already a bad special stage, but again, good music.
[/spoiler]

Posted on: October 23, 2013, 10:21:20 PM
Sorry for overusing Spoiler tags, I wasn't sure what I should and shouldn't spoil on the game in terms of factors or opinions. Tell me if I should spoiler-tag any of this.

Eh, its not overuse if you're really not sure if something's a spoiler or not.

Offline VirusChris

• Virakin of the Darkness Arcana
  • Neo Arcadian
  • I'm the guy people hate
    • View Profile
Reply #754 on: October 25, 2013, 11:32:56 PM
This is the DARKEST I have seen Eggman in the Sonic Modern games. (Mild Spoilers)

[youtube]XwdQ6FAJKa4[/youtube]

"Spirit-Soul Fusion! Invoke... VIRUS CROSS!!!" ~ Quote from my Virakins global project
JP PSN: UirusuKurisu
Official Husband of Fox Caster from Fate/Extra <3

Offline Nexus

• is one random son of a
  • SA-Class Hunter
    • View Profile
Reply #755 on: October 26, 2013, 12:32:11 AM
The game really treads the line between the saturday morning cartoon style/humor of Unleashed and Colors, and darker aspects more akin to pre-Sonic '06 ('06 itself and Shadow the Hedgehog aside). Unfortunately, 'treads the line' also means 'not knowing what the hell it's trying to be'.

Offline Rin

• The Hate Machine
  • Master's Unit
  • WORD
    • View Profile
Reply #756 on: October 26, 2013, 01:10:51 AM
Unfortunately, 'treads the line' also means 'not knowing what the hell it's trying to be'.
I don't [tornado fang]ing care.
Give me more evil Eggman.

Offline Nexus

• is one random son of a
  • SA-Class Hunter
    • View Profile
Reply #757 on: October 26, 2013, 03:02:45 AM
I don't [tornado fang]ing care.
Give me more evil Eggman.

I don't mind evil Eggman, there's a lot of potential there. Hell, Deem Bristow had his moments during the Sonic Adventure days that really do the character good.
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZCZfTAEDOhA[/youtube]

Offline Phi

• RPM Knight
    • View Profile
Reply #758 on: October 26, 2013, 04:52:06 AM
Deem Bristow's Eggman always seemed more sinister. Thanks in part to the Adventure series' dark tone.

Offline Amatiramisu

• 6-4 Blackbird
  • Legendary Hero
  • Stand by, Pilot!
    • View Profile
Reply #759 on: October 26, 2013, 03:43:00 PM
...I don't know. I guess it breaks up the lighthearted nature of the newer games, but I like this dark Eggman. Makes him more threatening as a villain.

Offline Phi

• RPM Knight
    • View Profile
Reply #760 on: November 13, 2013, 07:29:34 PM
Haven't played Lost World, but one thing is for sure: The music is [tornado fang]. ING. AMAZING.

[spoiler]
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hg_Z4Etv_Ho[/youtube]
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JnhD4DzkDwY[/youtube]
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=40FKmXVR6jk[/youtube]
[/spoiler]

Offline Protoman Blues

• Green Lantern of Sector 1337
  • RPM Knight
  • Searching for Wanda
    • View Profile
Reply #761 on: November 13, 2013, 07:44:46 PM
Yeah, those are pretty good! XD

Offline Nexus

• is one random son of a
  • SA-Class Hunter
    • View Profile
Reply #762 on: November 14, 2013, 02:18:51 AM
The soundtrack's pretty much the best thing to come out of the game, that's a near-always with Sonic.  8D

Offline Police Girl

• A total qt
  • Legendary Hero
    • View Profile
Reply #763 on: November 14, 2013, 04:57:04 AM
The soundtrack's pretty much the best thing to come out of the game, that's a near-always with Sonic.  8D

Yes, even games like 06 and chunks of Shadow had great music despite being very mediocre.

Some of the music in Secret rings was okay, Free Riders is the only time I think the original music was probably [parasitic bomb] but that was because all the other music was taken from Riders and Zero Gravity save for the theme.

Offline Protoman Blues

• RPM Knight
  • Searching for Wanda
    • View Profile
Reply #764 on: November 14, 2013, 04:58:15 AM
Secret Rings has a phenomenal soundtrack! XD

Offline Amatiramisu

• 6-4 Blackbird
  • Legendary Hero
  • Stand by, Pilot!
    • View Profile
Reply #765 on: November 14, 2013, 09:00:19 AM
Secret Rings and Colors had the best soundtracks man. Let The Speed Mend It and Chiptune Sweet Mountain are just... Aaaah~

Offline Protoman Blues

• RPM Knight
  • Searching for Wanda
    • View Profile
Reply #766 on: November 14, 2013, 09:19:19 AM
Blue on the Run is still one of the best, if not THE best, Sonic boss battle song ever.

Also, The Wicked Wild's yyyyyyyyYYYYYYYY-YO!! opening makes me laugh every time!

Offline VirusChris

• Virakin of the Darkness Arcana
  • Neo Arcadian
  • I'm the guy people hate
    • View Profile
Reply #767 on: November 14, 2013, 09:32:51 AM
Blue on the Run is still one of the best, if not THE best, Sonic boss battle song ever.

Also, The Wicked Wild's yyyyyyyyYYYYYYYY-YO!! opening makes me laugh every time!

This one, right?
[spoiler][youtube]bKwSrN3DHPM[/youtube][/spoiler]

"Spirit-Soul Fusion! Invoke... VIRUS CROSS!!!" ~ Quote from my Virakins global project
JP PSN: UirusuKurisu
Official Husband of Fox Caster from Fate/Extra <3

Offline Protoman Blues

• RPM Knight
  • Searching for Wanda
    • View Profile
Reply #768 on: November 14, 2013, 09:43:54 AM
That's the one!

Ironically enough, Sonic and the Black Knight followed up with one of the best, if not THE best, Sonic final boss songs ever.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ey-oB-qw45c[/youtube]

Offline Amatiramisu

• 6-4 Blackbird
  • Legendary Hero
  • Stand by, Pilot!
    • View Profile
Reply #769 on: November 14, 2013, 07:21:07 PM
My personal favorite final boss theme is the orchestrated Reach For The Stars in Colors. Followed up by the orchestrated Endless Possibilities in Unleashed. I'm a sucker for orchestral rock.

Offline Nexus

• is one random son of a
  • SA-Class Hunter
    • View Profile
Reply #770 on: November 15, 2013, 05:31:09 AM
Sonic Lost World's demo is now on the eShop for everyone it seems, but it only has the first two cutscenes, Windy Hill Act 1, and the Windy Hill section of the world map. You can carry your save to the full game, though, so it might be good for a headstart on the first level's animals and Red Rings.

Of course, the first parts of the game are the best from what I hear anyway.

Offline Amatiramisu

• 6-4 Blackbird
  • Legendary Hero
  • Stand by, Pilot!
    • View Profile
Reply #771 on: November 15, 2013, 05:52:00 AM
Just checked 3DS eShop. DLing it now.

Offline Phi

• RPM Knight
    • View Profile
Reply #772 on: November 15, 2013, 02:52:08 PM
Sonic Lost World's demo is now on the eShop for everyone it seems, but it only has the first two cutscenes, Windy Hill Act 1, and the Windy Hill section of the world map. You can carry your save to the full game, though, so it might be good for a headstart on the first level's animals and Red Rings.

Of course, the first parts of the game are the best from what I hear anyway.

Played the demo.

If those were the best parts, then the full product must be atrocious.

Offline Amatiramisu

• 6-4 Blackbird
  • Legendary Hero
  • Stand by, Pilot!
    • View Profile
Reply #773 on: November 16, 2013, 05:41:21 AM
Yeah. I can't say I loved the demo either. It was alright... But it felt a little bit too slow paced, clunky, and quite frankly the entire parkour system was so overstated that the whole "hold R to run" thing was entirely useless.
Played on 3DS. Not sure about Wii U.

Offline Flame

• The obsessive
  • RPM Soldier
    • View Profile
Reply #774 on: November 20, 2013, 08:21:34 PM
Well there's your problem. Never play the handheld version of a console Sonic game.

...When Larry the reploid accountant goes maverick of his own accord, he's certainly formidable during tax season, but he isn't going to provide X the challenge needed to make him grow as a warrior and reach his potential.