[sonic slicer] about Sonic

Acid · 221396

Offline Nexus

• is one random son of a
  • SA-Class Hunter
  • No one ever said all Reploids were smart.
    • View Profile
Reply #725 on: September 05, 2013, 07:01:34 AM
Truly nothing is safe in the Sonic franchise for Sega to have messed up Super Sonic(s) as badly as they did in Generations.  Not only is the final boss garbage (to this day I still don't know what the point of your partner attack is), but it's an extreme buzzkill to unlock Super Sonic for stages only to find out he has no theme music.  Or increased jump/accelleration.  Or any ability to use the boost gauge without throwing your rings into a wood chipper.

Not to mention both Super Sonics naturally spend like 3 rings a second (or 2 at least), more than halving your time in it. Despite the rings decreasing at a perfectly normal and series-standard rate in the final boss fight.

There's a reason why I got a mod to fix that.

Offline Megamanx89

• idiot
  • Net Navi
    • View Profile
Reply #726 on: September 05, 2013, 07:20:06 AM
take a look at this sonic 2 rom hack,

[youtube]vNQAJjDK2v8[/youtube]

Offline ViperAcidZX

• Blastia researcher and
  • Master's Unit
    • View Profile
    • -Lousy Artist since 1991-
Reply #727 on: September 14, 2013, 08:05:29 PM
I know it's late to quote, but...
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1ubse0h9D5E[/youtube]

Ladies and Gentlemen, I give you the worst gamer in existence. Seriously, he's a complete embarrassment.

At least the music is great.

Desert Ruins at 4:14
Frozen Factory at 14:45
I raise you this kid trying to play Sonic 1 with the most amazing map scouting and skills I've ever seen.

And on a different note, I thought this was cool.
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-azxH82uulY[/youtube]

Plus it seems that Sonic can transform into a lightning bolt, a fire demon, a drill, among others in Lost World 3DS.

Offline Police Girl

• A total qt
  • Legendary Hero
  • cannons are cool i guess
    • View Profile
Reply #728 on: September 14, 2013, 10:29:34 PM
Burst and Drill are old hat.

Honestly the only Color Powers I expect to not Return are the Void/Frenzy powers because of Nega-Wisps and maybe some of the less useful ones like Hover.

Offline VixyNyan

• Kind & Generous Fluffy Pillow~
  • RPM Ecchi Princess
  • ♪ Vixylicious Nya Nya~ ♪
    • View Profile
    • Rockman Perfect Memories
Reply #729 on: September 19, 2013, 12:45:47 AM
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ze9GeOej1Xg[/youtube]

>0< I love it!

Nintendo 3DS Friend Code: 3480-2506-4200
[DeviantArt|Twitch.tv|Youtube|Fan Work|WiiVC|Character File]
Rock10: Ranking. Rock9: AC, EA, SS, Challenge, Ranking.
(c) Sky Child~                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                         

Offline Amatiramisu

• 6-4 Blackbird
  • Legendary Hero
  • Stand by, Pilot!
    • View Profile
Reply #730 on: September 19, 2013, 08:26:10 PM
10/10. Best Sonic Game EVAR

No but seriously it does look somewhat entertaining in a kind of crappy way.

Offline Nexus

• is one random son of a
  • SA-Class Hunter
    • View Profile
Reply #731 on: October 03, 2013, 09:17:30 AM
So it's been the buzz all day long, and i'm certain some of you of heard about it, but might as well post it here too.

http://blogs.sega.com/2013/10/02/sonic-boom-working-title-a-new-animated-series-coming-fall-2014/?0=1

Long story short, a CG cartoon series called Sonic Boom, apparently being supervised by the director of the Sonic series himself, Takashi Iizuka. That image alone managed to singlehandedly stir shitstorms due to Knuckles, though. And people were skeptical a month or two ago when it was said one of the writers had worked on shows like the modern My Little Pony.

Offline Police Girl

• A total qt
  • Legendary Hero
  • cannons are cool i guess
    • View Profile
Reply #732 on: October 03, 2013, 09:22:27 AM
There's already a thread for it in the Entertainment board.

Offline Nexus

• is one random son of a
  • SA-Class Hunter
    • View Profile
Reply #733 on: October 03, 2013, 09:28:15 AM
There's already a thread for it in the Entertainment board.

Oh, my bad. I don't go to that board so I didn't realize.  :-[

Offline Amatiramisu

• 6-4 Blackbird
  • Legendary Hero
  • Stand by, Pilot!
    • View Profile
Reply #734 on: October 03, 2013, 09:14:48 PM
It's still good to put it up here precisely for those people who don't browse the entertainment board. Like Nexus. Or me.

Offline Rin

• The Hate Machine
  • Master's Unit
  • WORD
    • View Profile
Reply #735 on: October 04, 2013, 02:10:45 AM
It's still good to put it up here precisely for those people who don't browse the entertainment board. Like Nexus. Or me.

You both deserve to be eaten alive.

[spoiler]By Sarlacc.[/spoiler]

Offline Flame

• The obsessive
  • RPM Soldier
    • View Profile
Reply #736 on: October 05, 2013, 05:57:58 AM
So it's been the buzz all day long, and i'm certain some of you of heard about it, but might as well post it here too.

http://blogs.sega.com/2013/10/02/sonic-boom-working-title-a-new-animated-series-coming-fall-2014/?0=1

Long story short, a CG cartoon series called Sonic Boom, apparently being supervised by the director of the Sonic series himself, Takashi Iizuka. That image alone managed to singlehandedly stir shitstorms due to Knuckles, though. And people were skeptical a month or two ago when it was said one of the writers had worked on shows like the modern My Little Pony.
It's way too tempting to post the Knuckles edit of this.

Speaking of which, Tron, what's your sig from?

...When Larry the reploid accountant goes maverick of his own accord, he's certainly formidable during tax season, but he isn't going to provide X the challenge needed to make him grow as a warrior and reach his potential.

Offline Amatiramisu

• 6-4 Blackbird
  • Legendary Hero
  • Stand by, Pilot!
    • View Profile
Reply #737 on: October 05, 2013, 07:42:06 AM
I kept meaning to ask the same thing but never found the right opportunity to.

Offline VirusChris

• Virakin of the Darkness Arcana
  • Neo Arcadian
  • I'm the guy people hate
    • View Profile
Reply #738 on: October 05, 2013, 08:47:03 AM
You don't know? It's from DC Nation's shorts from the Saturday mornings and it's Princess Amethyst. I believe it's from Episode 2 or 3 of the animated short. It lasted like 6 episodes... it was meant to be shorts after all.

"Spirit-Soul Fusion! Invoke... VIRUS CROSS!!!" ~ Quote from my Virakins global project
JP PSN: UirusuKurisu
Official Husband of Fox Caster from Fate/Extra <3

Offline Rin

• The Hate Machine
  • Master's Unit
  • WORD
    • View Profile
Reply #739 on: October 05, 2013, 01:55:15 PM
You don't know?
They wouldn't be asking if they knew, now would they?

But yeah, basically what VirusChris said.

Offline VirusChris

• Neo Arcadian
    • View Profile
Reply #740 on: October 07, 2013, 08:19:50 PM
[youtube]GqH2oDYuIcs[/youtube]

Opening Cutscene and Windy Hills Zone 3.

[youtube]uewccWiLukI[/youtube]

From 0:18 to 0:46 you will see Chaos Emerald sign on the Wii U and 3DS. Confirms that Super Sonic is playable on the stages once again.

"Spirit-Soul Fusion! Invoke... VIRUS CROSS!!!" ~ Quote from my Virakins global project

Offline Hypershell

• needs DRAGONITE POWER!
  • Legendary Hero
  • Steel in Zee Head
    • View Profile
    • Get equipped with Hyper's DA
Reply #741 on: October 09, 2013, 01:22:02 AM
Well, their first time around in 3D, they had a ridiculously long and tedious unlock method, and the second, they just botched the mechanics up entirely.  Hopefully they get it right this time.

Also on DeviantArt, Rumble, DLive.tv, and the Fediverse (@freespeechextremist.com and @bae.st)

Offline Kieran

• He's just a
  • SA-Class Hunter
    • View Profile
Reply #742 on: October 09, 2013, 01:47:17 PM
Yeah, burning two rings a second pretty much makes Super Sonic useless in Generations.

The Other Side
http://www.crowdedstreet.net
irc.esper.net #theotherside

Commander Shepard: *stares blankly at a video of scantily clad asari dancers* ...What kind of hotel is this?
Liara T'Soni: It is a luxury resort with an... exotic edge.  Azure is slang for a part of the asari body in some places on Illium.
Shepard: Where?
Liara: The lower reaches, near the bottom.
Shepard: I meant, "where on the asari body?"
Liara: So did I.

Offline Nexus

• is one random son of a
  • SA-Class Hunter
    • View Profile
Reply #743 on: October 19, 2013, 10:50:39 PM
I haven't gotten my hands on it myself, and to be quite blunt Americans will have to wait a bit longer for it, but Sonic Lost World's been released in Japan and Europe already and playthroughs as well as reviews are being put up. The game's getting mediocre to average scores across the board. Some controversy's stirred up, though, because Gamespot's review was atrocious and they were blatantly throwing away lives at least twice.

The general opinion from what I can gather so far:
[spoiler]The plot's better than Colors and Generations, a bit less of characters standing around cracking jokes nonstop. The base gameplay is good, if a bit spotty due to Sonic trying to run up walls a little too much sometimes, but three problems seem to crop up all the time; A.) the game can be difficult, complete with insta-kills late game if you're not careful (although the bosses are pathetically easy). Some people compare it to the trial-and-error of Unleashed, or Donkey Kong Country. B.) like how you had to collect Sun and Moon Medals in Unleashed to progress at certain points, you have to rescue animals by numbers to progress in the story, which can catch up with you late game. Thankfully, animal capsules are grindable and abundant, and if you go to one of the minigame Circus acts that pop up randomly, playing good can get you a couple hundred rescued animals or more, so it's not anywhere near as much of an issue.

The main problem most people can agree on without splurging into anti-Sonic or anti-reviewer rage is that the game is just not all that fun when you're not playing a standard level. They throw lots of stage gimmicks and one-shot designs or uses of the Wisps around for the sake of variety instead of focusing mainly on the platforming, and the result is that the game feels rather sloppy because the gimmicky stages are [parasitic bomb]. The platforming at its base level is actually pretty good, if in need of traditional refinement, but it's undermined by the rest of the design. Also, Wisps don't factor into the plot at all, so yeah, they're just more gimmicks thrown in because Colors team.[/spoiler]

In terms of Super Sonic:
[spoiler]Yes, he's here and playable, albeit probably not in boss fights again. His Spin Dashes go off more like a Boost which is reasonable here and without extra ring drain at that, and he's of course faster than normal Sonic. One ring a second just like the classics, and because the Wisps are pretty much entirely ignoreable in this game, that means no awkwardly altered level design to accommodate like Colors, and no gimped bullshit like Generations. I'm not sure if it's the same super tedious method like in Colors via all the red star rings, though, so keep your eyes peeled for that. Seeing Super Sonic tear ass through the 3DS version's stages was satisfying, though.[/spoiler]

EDIT: [spoiler]So it turns out yes, the Red Ring collecting is the method to get Super Sonic in the Wii U version as far as I can tell. Apparently the 3DS version has actual special stages.. .. with gyro controls. Egh. At least the Red Rings aren't a colossal search-to-find nightmare like in Colors from what I've seen of the first two zones.[/spoiler]

Offline Hypershell

• needs DRAGONITE POWER!
  • Legendary Hero
  • Steel in Zee Head
    • View Profile
    • Get equipped with Hyper's DA
Reply #744 on: October 20, 2013, 03:09:07 AM
It is rather jarring how "meh" the reviews are after previews were generally optimistic.  I guess it just falls in line with the whole "early levels tend to be the fun part" thing, which honestly did not start with the 3D games.

In terms of Super Sonic:
[spoiler]...and he's of course faster than normal Sonic.[/spoiler]
That actually is not a given after Generations.  So, relieved to know that much at least.  As for Wisps, I was skeptical about their inclusion to begin with, so how good or bad their implementation is really isn't much of a concern to me, unless they get to be downright intrusive to the gameplay, which it sounds like they are not.

Also on DeviantArt, Rumble, DLive.tv, and the Fediverse (@freespeechextremist.com and @bae.st)

Offline Nexus

• is one random son of a
  • SA-Class Hunter
    • View Profile
Reply #745 on: October 20, 2013, 03:17:03 AM
The Wisps are mostly for alternate routes or goodies. There's at least one or two cases there they're mandatory from what I've seen so far,
[spoiler]one of which is a boss level with needing the Drill wisp to continue on and composing half of the stage alone[/spoiler]
But everyone seems to agree that the touch screen or gyro controls are godawful for them. Someone was saying you can control them more traditionally as well, though, which would probably be leagues better.

Offline Phi

• RPM Knight
    • View Profile
Reply #746 on: October 20, 2013, 03:52:01 AM
Dammit, I was looking forward to the 3DS version, but that seems to be even worse than its console brother.

I may have to look for more gameplay videos to better analyze the stage designs. I still want the game.

Offline Nexus

• is one random son of a
  • SA-Class Hunter
    • View Profile
Reply #747 on: October 20, 2013, 04:25:54 AM
Dammit, I was looking forward to the 3DS version, but that seems to be even worse than its console brother.

I may have to look for more gameplay videos to better analyze the stage designs. I still want the game.

Actually, believe it or not due to DIMPS, people are saying the 3DS version is, in some ways, better. The cutscenes from the Wii U version were basically captured off the screen and then horribly decompressed, and Sonic's turning is so damn slippery from what I can see, but folks are saying the levels are a lot less filled with gimmicky bullshit, and some boss fights seem to actually be better in the 3DS version.

Plot and Final Boss Spoiler/Thoughts on what I saw (they're not pleasant):
[spoiler]Yes, Eggman is the final boss, we all called it. Apparently his mech is pretty badass, and the Wii U version even makes it reminiscent of Brak from the OVA. .. except its patterns and fight are literally an altered version of the final boss from Colors. I mean, not wholly enough to be damn lazy, but the resemblance in the way the boss fight unfolds and a couple of its attacks being literally tweaked variants of the Colors final boss is just reeking of unoriginality (but then that's not saying much for Sonic). The 3DS version is even more blatant about the similarities to Colors' Nega-Wisp Armor fight, and the finisher to the fight? The exact same 'final blow causing a firework of the Eggman face to appear in the background' [parasitic bomb], except without any equivalent to the Final Color Blaster.

And for some reason the final boss has Red Rings that are just.. There on the path as you go along, except they're entirely missable by the principle of the boss attacks or attacking the boss.[/spoiler]

Jesus Christ.

Offline VirusChris

• Neo Arcadian
    • View Profile
Reply #748 on: October 20, 2013, 09:12:52 AM
Actually, believe it or not due to DIMPS, people are saying the 3DS version is, in some ways, better. The cutscenes from the Wii U version were basically captured off the screen and then horribly decompressed, and Sonic's turning is so damn slippery from what I can see, but folks are saying the levels are a lot less filled with gimmicky bullshit, and some boss fights seem to actually be better in the 3DS version.

Plot and Final Boss Spoiler/Thoughts on what I saw (they're not pleasant):
[spoiler]Yes, Eggman is the final boss, we all called it. Apparently his mech is pretty badass, and the Wii U version even makes it reminiscent of Brak from the OVA. .. except its patterns and fight are literally an altered version of the final boss from Colors. I mean, not wholly enough to be damn lazy, but the resemblance in the way the boss fight unfolds and a couple of its attacks being literally tweaked variants of the Colors final boss is just reeking of unoriginality (but then that's not saying much for Sonic). The 3DS version is even more blatant about the similarities to Colors' Nega-Wisp Armor fight, and the finisher to the fight? The exact same 'final blow causing a firework of the Eggman face to appear in the background' [parasitic bomb], except without any equivalent to the Final Color Blaster.

And for some reason the final boss has Red Rings that are just.. There on the path as you go along, except they're entirely missable by the principle of the boss attacks or attacking the boss.[/spoiler]

Jesus Christ.

[spoiler]Who's Brak?[/spoiler]

Offline Nexus

• is one random son of a
  • SA-Class Hunter
    • View Profile
Reply #749 on: October 20, 2013, 09:24:23 AM
[spoiler]Who's Brak?[/spoiler]

[spoiler]I don't have the best memory of the name honestly, but the gigantic robot Eggman that Sonic and Tails fought early in the OVA. Brak Eggman? Metal Eggman? I dunno.[/spoiler]