Acid · 221510

Offline Hypershell

• needs DRAGONITE POWER!
  • Legendary Hero
  • Steel in Zee Head
    • View Profile
    • Get equipped with Hyper's DA
Reply #650 on: May 18, 2013, 05:17:02 AM
So allegedly this deal with Nintendo is not just that they're BigN-exclusives but that Nintendo is helping to produce them?  I actually expect this to go quite well.

Unleashed, Colors, and Generations were all really good.

To be fair though, the only real "Bad" games have been 06 and Heroes. Shadow wasn't great but it tried something somewhat different with the Weapons and branching paths, Heroes tried something different too but that mostly consisted of forcing people to use forms that weren't very fast to get past things that were in their way/fight enemies with lifebars because that was totally a good idea.

The side games that were "eh" (Riders, Storybook series) were just that, side games. They weren't great but Riders at least could be fun at times.
I'm probably the only person on the face of the Earth who thinks that Black Knight was better than either Unleashed or Secret Rings.  Heck, I'd call it at LEAST on even ground with Colors.

Don't try to defend that steaming pile of horse [parasitic bomb]
The final stage was actually good.  It just took one hell of a lot of pain to get there...

I didn't really mind the weapons so much since they are treated as a tack-on and a tack-on is where they are best suited.  The game is primarily a hedgehog running and jumping, which was surprisingly rare for Sonic games at that time, and adding a slightly different flavor without interfering with the primary focus didn't bug me that much (oddly enough I thought the early trailers looked INCREDIBLY worse than the final game turned out).  The problem is that the camera/framerate were jittery as hell, the mission structure was overly rigid, and that last branch to the final set of stages was simply uncalled for.

But hey, it gave us that DAMN fourth Chaos Emerald.

Also on DeviantArt, Rumble, DLive.tv, and the Fediverse (@freespeechextremist.com and @bae.st)

Offline Amatiramisu

• 6-4 Blackbird
  • Legendary Hero
  • Stand by, Pilot!
    • View Profile
Reply #651 on: May 18, 2013, 07:31:51 PM
And what do those tricks actually do?

Fill up boost gauge and help you hold air to get different routes. (The latter I'm unsure about. I know it did in Colors.)

Offline Phi

• RPM Knight
    • View Profile
Reply #652 on: May 18, 2013, 07:38:42 PM
Fill up boost gauge and help you hold air to get different routes. (The latter I'm unsure about. I know it did in Colors.)

... He's referring to Sonic 1, not Sonic Rush.

Offline Police Girl

• A total qt
  • Legendary Hero
  • cannons are cool i guess
    • View Profile
Reply #653 on: May 18, 2013, 07:39:55 PM

Wow, no.

He was replying to this:

Some little tricks I've noticed in Sonic 1 iOS.

-You can play as Sonic & Tails combined.
-When playing as Tails or Sonic & Tails, tap the letters of the SEGA logo in reverse order when it loads the game.
-When playing as Sonic & Tails, Hold up and press jump twice.

Yeah, page break is confusing.

Anyway, the first one is self explanatory.
The second one activates Japanese mode (Tails is referred to as "Miles")
The third one activates the hidden airlift move. (Basically that thing you could do in Sonic 3 with two people, you can do it with one.)

Apparently Debug mode is in the game, but that might only be the Android version.
[spoiler]There's working Splats and Wrecking Ball, along with two new monitors.[/spoiler]

Offline Amatiramisu

• 6-4 Blackbird
  • Legendary Hero
  • Stand by, Pilot!
    • View Profile
Reply #654 on: May 18, 2013, 08:27:30 PM
Page break guys. Sorry.

Anyways I hope the music is better than Generations' music was in the new games. I haven't liked much of the Sonic music since Black Knight. Colors was alright, catchy if nothing else, but forgettable. (Besides Planet Wisp. That was just so great.)

Offline Police Girl

• A total qt
  • Legendary Hero
    • View Profile
Reply #655 on: May 18, 2013, 09:37:31 PM
I was wrong, Debug/Level Select are in, you just have to tap S-E-G-A on the SEGA screen and tap the screen with two fingers. Its nice looking.

[spoiler=Debug related goodies]
Items gives choices between "S1" "S2" "S3+S1" and "S3 + S2", choosing S2 Items changes the Shield from the normal one to the one used in S2, and S3 items enables elemental shields (And they all work!), and S3 items at all will also enable Sonic's Insta-Shield.

Debug mode allows the dropping of Monitors that either don't do anything (Emerald Monitor), or are brand new (Spike Monitor, Tri-Elemental Monitor).

In GHZ, Splats the rabbit has been programmed to hop around back and forth (Unlike hacks where he replaces Motobug.) The Wrecking ball works, you can push it around and such, kinda reminds me of Yoshi's Island in a way.

Max Emeralds gives the option between 6 or 7. Don't know if there's a 7th Special Stage though. 7 allows for using Super Sonic/Knuckles/Tails (Yes, SUPER [tornado fang]ing TAILS, No flickies though.). S Monitors work in the same way they did in Sonic 3.

Speed Cap is self explanatory.
S1 Spikes allows enabling/disabling the Spike Bug.

I hear Goggles are in but I'll have to check that when I get to Labyrinth, If the Water Shield is in it probably is so there's that.[/spoiler]

Offline Hypershell

• needs DRAGONITE POWER!
  • Legendary Hero
  • Steel in Zee Head
    • View Profile
    • Get equipped with Hyper's DA
Reply #656 on: May 19, 2013, 06:55:56 AM
Dang.  Now I wish I had some mobile thing that would play that...

Also on DeviantArt, Rumble, DLive.tv, and the Fediverse (@freespeechextremist.com and @bae.st)

Offline Nexus

• is one random son of a
  • SA-Class Hunter
  • No one ever said all Reploids were smart.
    • View Profile
Reply #657 on: May 19, 2013, 08:38:56 AM
Yeah, they made a 7th special stage for the port due to that seven emeralds feature, and the wrecking balls can damage enemies - I saw someone drop twenty on Eggman's first battle to the point that the framerate dropped as they bounced around and rolled on eachother until it wrecked Eggman.

Offline VixyNyan

• Kind & Generous Fluffy Pillow~
  • RPM Ecchi Princess
  • ♪ Vixylicious Nya Nya~ ♪
    • View Profile
    • Rockman Perfect Memories
Reply #658 on: May 19, 2013, 01:00:14 PM
Wow, Stealth and Christian "Taxman" Whitehead (of Sonic community fame) made an awesome work on this version of Sonic 1! (yes, they got officially hired to work on this game for mobile devices) >U<

Nintendo 3DS Friend Code: 3480-2506-4200
[DeviantArt|Twitch.tv|Youtube|Fan Work|WiiVC|Character File]
Rock10: Ranking. Rock9: AC, EA, SS, Challenge, Ranking.
(c) Sky Child~                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                         

Offline ViperAcidZX

• Blastia researcher and
  • Master's Unit
    • View Profile
    • -Lousy Artist since 1991-
Reply #659 on: May 19, 2013, 02:27:35 PM
Yup, it's amazing what fans can do sometimes. owob I really love his work on Sonic CD on XBLA, PSN, and Steam; both US and JP/EU soundtracks (although it's kinda sad we only able to get the instrumental of "Cosmic Eternity", but I guess it couldn't be help), true widescreen support (not that video stretching nonsense most re-releases of old 2D games do to make it look like it's in 16:9) and all the dice for only $5. If I ever I get an Android (or if this version of Sonic 1 gets on consoles/PC), I'll definitely buy it.

Offline OBJECTION MAN

• Neo Arcadian
    • View Profile
Reply #660 on: May 19, 2013, 04:57:41 PM
Definitely needs a PC or cosole release. An Ouya version would be nice too, and have base native support given it's android. For me; No controller, no play. Touch screen emulated buttons and dpad are unacceptable.

TWITCH   ➧ TWITTER   ➧ DISCORD   ➧ MY GAMES

Knockout Mondays
Experimental day: Fighting game engine project Live Gamedev (8PM - 10 PM EST)

WIP Wednesdays
Hamster Drop Gold Edition Live Gamedev (8PM - 10 PM EST)

Weekend Game Hangout
Marc, Amber, & Friends (Saturday Evening EST)

Offline ViperAcidZX

• Blastia researcher and
  • Master's Unit
    • View Profile
    • -Lousy Artist since 1991-
Reply #661 on: May 19, 2013, 05:59:00 PM
Isn't there docks/add-ons to smartphones to give controller functionality? I saw one for a Windows 8 tablet on YouTube that lets you easily lock-in a tablet and its handles work like a controller; it is a bit heavy and the battery power isn't that great though. I'm hoping there's something like that for smartphones unless Ouya's the only way around that at the moment.

Unfortunately, thanks to the situation I'm in, I may never know what it'll be like to have a smartphone at all. :'(

Offline Reaperoid

• Redundant
  • Master's Unit
  • d-don't fear the reaper
    • View Profile
Reply #662 on: May 20, 2013, 12:46:04 AM
Depending on what the developer does, you can use Bluetooth keyboards and controllers, or sometimes even SIXAXIS controllers.

I guess all I can really say is it isn't exactly what I'd expect out of a $4.4M game

It doesn't even have mouth animations

Offline OBJECTION MAN

• Neo Arcadian
    • View Profile
Reply #663 on: May 20, 2013, 07:44:18 AM
True, but I honestly don't have the cash to be throwing around for an android device that can connect to the tv, and a controller just for it. A very tall order for an enhanced version of a game topping two decades now.

TWITCH   ➧ TWITTER   ➧ DISCORD   ➧ MY GAMES

Knockout Mondays
Experimental day: Fighting game engine project Live Gamedev (8PM - 10 PM EST)

WIP Wednesdays
Hamster Drop Gold Edition Live Gamedev (8PM - 10 PM EST)

Weekend Game Hangout
Marc, Amber, & Friends (Saturday Evening EST)

Offline Satoryu

• Visually Appealing
  • RPM Purifier
  • Whose franchise is dead?
    • View Profile
Reply #664 on: May 21, 2013, 01:23:06 AM
Just tried it out myself. The dpad is infact terrible.

What happens in Vegas stays on Youtube. I also stream on Twitch from time to time.

Offline Police Girl

• A total qt
  • Legendary Hero
    • View Profile
Reply #665 on: May 21, 2013, 01:38:38 AM
True, but I honestly don't have the cash to be throwing around for an android device that can connect to the tv, and a controller just for it. A very tall order for an enhanced version of a game topping two decades now.

I hear Bluestacks works good if you want to play Android games on PC.

Just tried it out myself. The dpad is infact terrible.

Really? I find it pretty useful most of the time, its better than Sonic CD at the moment because of CD's lack of iPhone 5 Screen support.

Only problem I have is with occasionally hitting Down by accident.

Offline Satoryu

• Visually Appealing
  • RPM Purifier
  • Whose franchise is dead?
    • View Profile
Reply #666 on: May 22, 2013, 03:00:32 AM
Just realised the keyboard on my phone also controls the game. Makes it infinitely more playable.

What happens in Vegas stays on Youtube. I also stream on Twitch from time to time.

Offline irgpie

• Neo Arcadian
    • View Profile
Reply #667 on: May 24, 2013, 12:59:26 AM

Offline Police Girl

• A total qt
  • Legendary Hero
    • View Profile
Reply #668 on: May 24, 2013, 01:46:37 AM
N-new characters?

Oh dear.

Offline Rin

• The Hate Machine
  • Master's Unit
  • WORD
    • View Profile
Reply #669 on: May 24, 2013, 01:55:59 AM
N-new characters?

Oh dear.
I'm hype actually.
Because judging by that image, they aren't "another [tornado fang]ing sonic recolor"

Offline Police Girl

• A total qt
  • Legendary Hero
    • View Profile
Reply #670 on: May 24, 2013, 02:15:50 AM
I'm hype actually.
Because judging by that image, they aren't "another [tornado fang]ing sonic recolor"

They look like they're probably one-shots.

So its not as bad as it could've been.

Offline VixyNyan

• Kind & Generous Fluffy Pillow~
  • RPM Ecchi Princess
  • ♪ Vixylicious Nya Nya~ ♪
    • View Profile
    • Rockman Perfect Memories
Reply #671 on: May 24, 2013, 03:33:42 AM
The curvy hip-tastic one on the left~ :3

Nintendo 3DS Friend Code: 3480-2506-4200
[DeviantArt|Twitch.tv|Youtube|Fan Work|WiiVC|Character File]
Rock10: Ranking. Rock9: AC, EA, SS, Challenge, Ranking.
(c) Sky Child~                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                         

Offline The Great Gonzo

• Master's Unit
    • View Profile
Reply #672 on: May 24, 2013, 11:26:46 AM
Was kinda hoping for some Mobians myself, but these guys look pretty interesting. (Especially the hip-tastic one. ^^; )

TheKKM brightened the image by several levels and red-lined what details he could find.

For anyone who cares, I've got some name/story predictions in my art thread.

Offline Rin

• The Hate Machine
  • Master's Unit
  • WORD
    • View Profile
Reply #673 on: May 24, 2013, 07:29:16 PM

Offline Amatiramisu

• 6-4 Blackbird
  • Legendary Hero
  • Stand by, Pilot!
    • View Profile
Reply #674 on: May 24, 2013, 09:05:50 PM
Those designs somehow remind me of Skylanders.