[sonic slicer] about Sonic

Acid · 222535

Offline Phi

• RPM Knight
    • View Profile
Reply #425 on: January 23, 2012, 01:10:25 AM
What I hated more about the night segments was not the werehog, but the battle music that CONSTANTLY interrupted the stage music. I HATE that battle theme. It's annoying. I dont want to keep hearing that every time I hit something, I want to keep hearing the stage music.

This.

To be honest though, I haven't even finished Unleashed (PS3) because of the Werehog stages. It's not because I couldn't beat them, but I just lost patience in the Chun-nan night stage. That and I wasn't having much fun aside from the Day stages. It was months ago, but I remember having a difficult time grabbing the ledges (if you don't grab it in time, you fall into the water and die). And even though I had the time to practice, I just didn't bother continuing the game. I might later, just for the sake of completing a game, but I never get the urge to pick up and play it.

I loved the Day stages, besides Holaska. Holy [parasitic bomb], I wanted to throw my controller against the wall.

Offline Flame

• The obsessive
  • RPM Soldier
    • View Profile
Reply #426 on: January 23, 2012, 01:25:12 AM
I liked Holska. didnt quite like the sledding parts, but eh.

Actually, thats another Unwii'sh'd stage that was pretty neat.

...When Larry the reploid accountant goes maverick of his own accord, he's certainly formidable during tax season, but he isn't going to provide X the challenge needed to make him grow as a warrior and reach his potential.

Offline ViperAcidZX

• Blastia researcher and
  • Master's Unit
    • View Profile
    • -Lousy Artist since 1991-
Reply #427 on: January 23, 2012, 09:46:23 PM
You guys won't believe what I saw this morning.

[spoiler]Sonic the Hedgehog in a Progessive Auto Insurance commercial on TV. No joke. </wii>[/spoiler]

Offline Flame

• The obsessive
  • RPM Soldier
    • View Profile
Reply #428 on: January 23, 2012, 10:30:29 PM
Have you seen this?
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9VQmPgdvdoo[/youtube]

Along with Quote from Kotaku for great truth:
Here's the official version from Progressive's youtbe though.
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RfUsKWyRRm0[/youtube]

...When Larry the reploid accountant goes maverick of his own accord, he's certainly formidable during tax season, but he isn't going to provide X the challenge needed to make him grow as a warrior and reach his potential.

Offline ViperAcidZX

• Blastia researcher and
  • Master's Unit
    • View Profile
    • -Lousy Artist since 1991-
Reply #429 on: January 23, 2012, 11:00:54 PM
Man I'm really behind on this thread. But to be honest, that only time I ever seen that commercial mainly due to lack of computer freedom here. Oh $#&% my cyber life... </wii>

Offline Gaia

• RPM's only Card Collector.
  • Legendary Hero
  • Yep.
    • View Profile
    • YT Profile Page
Reply #430 on: January 23, 2012, 11:56:38 PM
Though.. Why would he need car insurance..? I've seen it before it was even posted in this topic (I'm a rare visitor at Sonic Retro).. Eh.

Workshop/DA/YT/Photobucket なにかんがえてるの!?
So its about ass now huh? EVEN THE ASS HAS 'EXCEEDED'!

One mention of LEGENDS and everyone goes batshit.  :\

Yep, every time when someone mentions that game people get energized for an apparent reason whatsoever. It's like this everywhere else, trust me.

It got really messy to find my sprite and comic topic, so it's in my sig.

Offline Rin

• The Hate Machine
  • Master's Unit
  • WORD
    • View Profile
Reply #431 on: January 24, 2012, 12:04:45 AM
Though.. Why would he need car insurance..?
Hmm... why indeed?

Offline Flame

• The obsessive
  • RPM Soldier
    • View Profile
Reply #432 on: January 24, 2012, 12:08:52 AM
Though again, to quote Kotaku...

"Apparently Progressive Insurance is starting an ad campaign featuring Sega's mascot getting a scolding from Flo (cosplayed at DragonCon 2010.) Why exactly, who can tell. If they actually took a look at Sonic's driving record in something like, oh, City Escape, I'm pretty sure his premium would be about $623. Per hour."

Offline Satoryu

• Visually Appealing
  • RPM Purifier
  • Whose franchise is dead?
    • View Profile
Reply #433 on: January 24, 2012, 08:34:16 PM
I just bought and beat Sonic CD on XBLA. And realtalk, I'm still not a fan of the game. I still find the level design messy. The color palette is way too loud; it's just to show off what the Sega CD could do. And the architecture of the stages themselves was cluttered, frequently to the point of being really frustrating. Wacky Workbench is the worst offender, but Collision Chaos really got at my nerves too. Especially the boss.

While I think the peel out is a fun mechanic, I'm kinda sad spin dash isn't as useful. And what a tease to make it look like the regular spin dash but still have it act like it did in CD. Rolling in general seemed to be less effective, actually.

The time travel stuff is pretty meh to me. I do like that you can get rid of every enemy in the stage, but aside from that, time travel was just there.

The Special Stages are tech demo material too, but I didn't mind them too much. They're tough, but they're made that way. It's not like you're fighting the game's mechanics to succeed at it. Though if I had a nickel for every time I would just miss and jump under a UFO, I'd be a rich man. The new quick saves helped a lot.

Bosses are gimmicky as well, really. None of them aside from the final work like the Genesis ones where it's 8 hits and he's dead. You always have to get rid of some obstacle in the way first. And again, I didn't really mind them. Except for Collision Chaos. The pinball stuff just never worked the way it should. And Metal Sonic is really difficult.

Sonic CD is not a terrible game. I certainly don't regret spending the $5 it costs. It's just not for me, and I think it's a bit overhyped. I did not like some of the directions it took (to illustrate, I liked Adventures of Sonic the Hedgehog way more than SatAM. I know, I'm weird), and perhaps I'm too spoiled by the later Genesis games. It might be a toss up with Sonic 1, but yeah, 2 and 3&K I think are far superior.

Oh yeah, the soundtracks. There are some that I like better on the JP soundtrack, and there are others that are better on US. And even still, some like Stardust Speedway or the Special Stage just depend on my current mood. Both have their weird parts though. But that's what makes some of them fun, kinda like Super Sonic Racing. I might give the US soundtrack a tiny edge though. Quartz Quadrant and the speed shoes jingle are infinitely better on US imo.

What happens in Vegas stays on Youtube. I also stream on Twitch from time to time.

Offline Police Girl

• A total qt
  • Legendary Hero
  • cannons are cool i guess
    • View Profile
Reply #434 on: January 24, 2012, 08:47:59 PM
And what a tease to make it look like the regular spin dash but still have it act like it did in CD.

This is wrong.

You have a setting to change Spindash to either S2 or CD mode, CD mode is the original, no revving animation or anything. S2 Mode is default when you start the game, and you still rev it to make it faster.

Changing the spindash changes how the camera works too, CD mode gives the camera that look ahead that was in CD, S2 Mode makes the camera work how it did in S2, CD mode is also bugged, your top speed is capped and jumping eliminates all foward momentum.

How is it that people don't understand this.

Offline Flame

• The obsessive
  • RPM Soldier
    • View Profile
Reply #435 on: January 24, 2012, 09:13:09 PM
Ive noticed Cd intentionally makes it hard to maintain a high speed for too long, just so going through time isnt so easy. there is the occasional spring trap, which is a big help, but they are rare.

Offline Nexus

• is one random son of a
  • SA-Class Hunter
  • No one ever said all Reploids were smart.
    • View Profile
Reply #436 on: January 24, 2012, 10:13:34 PM
The way I see it, Sonic CD and Sonic 2 were made around the same time, right? Sonic 2 was an expansion on various mechanics from the first game while broadening and streamlining specific things, ultimately making what many consider the number one title of the series.

Sonic CD tried something a little different; an emphasis on backtracking, open levels with objectives other than reaching the end, and speed primarily being used to fulfill those objectives rather than zooming on through (although you could still do that if you wanted). Small parts of this exploration came back for Sonic 3, but otherwise the concept didn't take off very well - while one of the best games on the Sega CD and beloved by many, it pales in comparison to Sonic 2's success. As Sato put it, the game seems part tech demo, part unusual product because while the US team that developed 2 stuck with the expansion ideas, the JAP team that developed CD tried various new ideas in my opinion.

Offline Satoryu

• Visually Appealing
  • RPM Purifier
  • Whose franchise is dead?
    • View Profile
Reply #437 on: January 25, 2012, 05:28:46 AM
This is wrong.

You have a setting to change Spindash to either S2 or CD mode, CD mode is the original, no revving animation or anything. S2 Mode is default when you start the game, and you still rev it to make it faster.

Changing the spindash changes how the camera works too, CD mode gives the camera that look ahead that was in CD, S2 Mode makes the camera work how it did in S2, CD mode is also bugged, your top speed is capped and jumping eliminates all foward momentum.

How is it that people don't understand this.

I knew about the setting, but I thought it was just a visual thing. I forgot about the camera shift until you mentioned it. My exposure to CD prior to recently was very small, I played it thought on Gems Collection all of once, and I like never used spin dash in it because peel outs were just better.

Point is even with the better spin dash, Sonic still doesn't seem to go as fast with it as he could in 2 and 3&K. Revving seemed to make very little difference if any.

Oh, and I actually tried out Tails in the new game. It's a lot of fun flying over big chunks of stages.

What happens in Vegas stays on Youtube. I also stream on Twitch from time to time.

Offline Protoman Blues

• Green Lantern of Sector 1337
  • RPM Knight
  • Searching for Wanda
    • View Profile
Reply #438 on: January 25, 2012, 07:12:06 AM
Again, Stardust Speedway US Bad Future is the best because the song comes onto you!  8D

Offline Nexus

• is one random son of a
  • SA-Class Hunter
  • No one ever said all Reploids were smart.
    • View Profile
Reply #439 on: January 29, 2012, 12:30:49 AM
I'm sure someone out there really loves Unleashed's daytime stages yet lamented the lack of a PC release.

Wellll...

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=RnRJqKyIcE0[/youtube]

It's still a work-in-progress, but they're also working on Chu-nan, and perhaps other levels as well.

Offline irgpie

• Neo Arcadian
    • View Profile
Reply #440 on: January 29, 2012, 01:23:08 AM
Nice. Hopefully they manage to get things fully up to scratch and import Jungle Joyride :v

Edit: Hurp, just checked the related vids. Hoorah then

Offline Police Girl

• A total qt
  • Legendary Hero
    • View Profile
Reply #441 on: January 29, 2012, 02:11:38 AM
Well if anything, thats great because Unleashed never ran a full 60 frames, I remember hearing that the 360 version tried to keep it a consistent 30 with major drops in Jungle Joyride, whereas the PS3 version jumped all over the place, in the levels with nothing in them (Windmill Isle Act 3, which consisted of a lot of rails) the game could clock 60, whereas Jungle Joyride and the Empire City Hub tanked at 10-15.

Of course this would've not been a problem had Sega ever ported the game to the PC in the first place (Hell, I want to see Sonic 06 of all games get ported to the PC, because that way Modders could rip it apart and finish what Sonic Team had no time to do.)

Offline irgpie

• Neo Arcadian
    • View Profile
Reply #442 on: January 29, 2012, 02:15:03 AM
That's exactly why I'd love to see it ported. It's almost-sorta my fave level of Unleashed, just needed some more tweaking. I also really love its music track for some reason.

Thinking about it now, I'd love to go through all those water parts of Jungle Joyride with Generations' much tighter drifting.

Offline Police Girl

• A total qt
  • Legendary Hero
    • View Profile
Reply #443 on: February 07, 2012, 08:55:59 AM
This is just too great.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=diFHxtDrkTQ[/youtube]

Offline Mike Arcade

• Lives in Obscurity
  • Cyberelf
    • View Profile
    • Mike Arcade's youtube page
Reply #444 on: February 07, 2012, 01:04:18 PM
This is just too great.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=diFHxtDrkTQ[/youtube]

GAME OVER YEEEEEEEAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!

You know rather then fight for everlasting peace, I usually fight because blowing stuff up is fun.

Offline Align

• Master's Unit
    • View Profile
    • Natural Selection, my FPS of choice
Reply #445 on: February 13, 2012, 10:14:21 PM
[youtube]http://youtu.be/djSp1FFX0E8[/youtube]
So I thought this was kind of neat.

Offline Police Girl

• A total qt
  • Legendary Hero
    • View Profile
Reply #446 on: February 14, 2012, 12:21:34 AM
[youtube]djSp1FFX0E8[/youtube]
So I thought this was kind of neat.

Fixed the link for you.

Offline Align

• Master's Unit
    • View Profile
    • Natural Selection, my FPS of choice
Reply #447 on: February 14, 2012, 12:41:59 AM
Thanks. I'm tired...

Offline irgpie

• Neo Arcadian
    • View Profile
Reply #448 on: February 14, 2012, 09:43:48 PM

Sonic 4: Episode 2 Screenshots Released on Xbox Live Marketplace

The Sonic 4 Saga continues as Sonic reunites with Tails for all new collaborative play! Following the events of Episode I, Metal Sonic has returned to form a formidable alliance with Dr. Eggman! To face this new threat, Sonic will have to call upon an old friend to help him save the day! Joined by Tails, utilise ingenious combination moves and race across four brand new Zones, in order to put an end to their evil plans! Play alone, or with a friend locally (and online), in an evolution of Sonic 2′s collaborative gameplay! Unleash Sonic and Tails’ devastating joint attacks and combination moves to fight the united force of Metal Sonic and Dr. Eggman. Episode II features an all new game engine, bringing you updated physics and an original graphical style as you race through four unique Zones and a new Special Stage.

FEATURES
  • Offline co-op 1 – 2
  • Dolby Digital

ONLINE FEATURES
  • Online co-op 2
  • Leaderboards

Offline Gaia

• RPM's only Card Collector.
  • Legendary Hero
  • Yep.
    • View Profile
    • YT Profile Page
Reply #449 on: February 14, 2012, 11:02:51 PM

Something seems kinda akward here..

Workshop/DA/YT/Photobucket なにかんがえてるの!?
So its about ass now huh? EVEN THE ASS HAS 'EXCEEDED'!

One mention of LEGENDS and everyone goes batshit.  :\

Yep, every time when someone mentions that game people get energized for an apparent reason whatsoever. It's like this everywhere else, trust me.

It got really messy to find my sprite and comic topic, so it's in my sig.