Acid · 221536

Offline Hypershell

• needs DRAGONITE POWER!
  • Legendary Hero
  • Steel in Zee Head
    • View Profile
    • Get equipped with Hyper's DA
Reply #400 on: January 18, 2012, 12:48:49 AM
...you know, I'm going to have an awfully hard time defending that video when some outraged fan claims that Sega is trolling them.

Also on DeviantArt, Rumble, DLive.tv, and the Fediverse (@freespeechextremist.com and @bae.st)

Offline Mirby

• RPM's Krillin
  • Legendary Hero
  • KINGDOM HEARTS IS WAAAAAAA
    • View Profile
    • Mirby Studios
Reply #401 on: January 18, 2012, 12:59:12 AM
I am personally of the mind that I don't really judge a game until I try it, regardless of developer past.

That, and you know, I actually like Dimps.

OH [parasitic bomb] IM USING LINK AND I ACCIDENTALLY FINAL SMASHED A CUCCO OH GOD HELP
Just enjoy yourself, don't complain about everything

Offline Police Girl

• A total qt
  • Legendary Hero
  • cannons are cool i guess
    • View Profile
Reply #402 on: January 18, 2012, 01:27:42 PM
I used to be ok with them, but they've been doing the same damn thing for Sonic Games since Sonic Advance 2, namely:

Speed Boosters everywhere to make up for bad physics.
Grind Rails whenever they deem it necessary.
Trick functions that serve to gain height.
Unfun/Rehashed Special Stages that are very tricky/tedious to get into (7 Special Rings in one go, levels are impossible to navigate because of Speed Boosters forcing you to keep going right.)
Bottomless Pit Syndrome (Every single level except Leaf Forest 1 in SAdv2 has them.)
One route or a high route with a lower area that just forces you back onto the route, or just a big bottomless pit.
Almost no enemies anywhere.
Homing Attack Chains over, you guessed it, a bottomless pit, as opposed to platforming.

I absolutely love it that Sega will release a game and claim Sonic Team made it when it was really Dimps being their usual awful selves, I just want them to stop making portable/low-end/Sonic 4 Games and go back to being a worthless whore for porting other games.

Offline Rayl

• The Missing Piece
  • Resistance Member
  • (╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
    • View Profile
Reply #403 on: January 18, 2012, 02:49:30 PM
I don't generally have much issue with Dimps making Sonic games, they've made a more then a few games that i've thoroughly enjoyed.

But then i picked up Sonic Generations on the 3DS today, thought it was okay... then got to Radical Highway and ooooooh boy were all the bad habits on display here. They ruined a really good level =(

Offline Police Girl

• A total qt
  • Legendary Hero
    • View Profile
Reply #404 on: January 18, 2012, 04:55:12 PM
These are the only Sonic games Dimps has made that I consider good.

Sonic Advance
Sonic Advance 3
Sonic Rush

I haven't played Rush Adventure yet.

Advance 2, Unwiished, and Sonic 4 all suck, they have all of Dimps bad traits. Sonic 4 gets an honorable mention for having a mostly forgettable soundtrack (Outside of Splash Hill 1, 3, and the boss themes its pretty bad.)

Offline VixyNyan

• Kind & Generous Fluffy Pillow~
  • RPM Ecchi Princess
  • ♪ Vixylicious Nya Nya~ ♪
    • View Profile
    • Rockman Perfect Memories
Reply #405 on: January 18, 2012, 05:11:48 PM
Advance 2
suck

No, the music is great (among my favorites actually) and the special stages were fun and challenging.
I didn't mind that you had to collect the chaos emerald for all 5 characters either, which I did.
And Vanilla is so beautiful~ :cookie:

Nintendo 3DS Friend Code: 3480-2506-4200
[DeviantArt|Twitch.tv|Youtube|Fan Work|WiiVC|Character File]
Rock10: Ranking. Rock9: AC, EA, SS, Challenge, Ranking.
(c) Sky Child~                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                         

Offline Police Girl

• A total qt
  • Legendary Hero
    • View Profile
Reply #406 on: January 18, 2012, 05:42:09 PM
I didn't like the gameplay.

The music is amazing, as is most every Sonic soundtrack, I didn't mind Cream or Vanilla either, then again I actually like most of the Side characters.

The Special Stages, when I actually got to them, were fine (Better than Advance 1's tube of pain.), it was getting the rings that was not fun, as you pretty much had to memorize where they were.

I always will like Cyber Track Techno Base (It came right after the hell that was Sky Canyon), and the 7 Boss has the best boss music I've heard ever.

Offline Nexus

• is one random son of a
  • SA-Class Hunter
  • No one ever said all Reploids were smart.
    • View Profile
Reply #407 on: January 19, 2012, 08:55:46 PM
Steam's having a Weekend Sale on various Sonic titles. Sonic Generations at $15, the new Sonic CD port for $5, and even Sonic 4 Episode 1 for $9. Looks like a good time for bargain-buyers to get reacquainted with the series.

Offline Police Girl

• A total qt
  • Legendary Hero
    • View Profile
Reply #408 on: January 20, 2012, 03:55:03 AM
Oh Sonic CD is finally on steam?

Sonic 4 E1 is there too huh?

Makes sense since E2 will be going there soon.

Despite what I said I might actually purchase E1 a second time for the PS3 when E2 comes out, as much as I hate Dimps I still own the game I hate the most from them, that being Advance 2.

Offline Rayl

• The Missing Piece
  • Resistance Member
  • (╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
    • View Profile
Reply #409 on: January 20, 2012, 07:05:17 PM
Downloaded Sonic & Sega All Stars Racing and Sonic CD, will probably gift Sonic CD to a few people as well to spread the love.

Offline VixyNyan

• Kind & Generous Fluffy Pillow~
  • RPM Ecchi Princess
  • ♪ Vixylicious Nya Nya~ ♪
    • View Profile
    • Rockman Perfect Memories
Reply #410 on: January 21, 2012, 11:54:32 AM
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9Ck8233-NhU[/youtube]

XD

Nintendo 3DS Friend Code: 3480-2506-4200
[DeviantArt|Twitch.tv|Youtube|Fan Work|WiiVC|Character File]
Rock10: Ranking. Rock9: AC, EA, SS, Challenge, Ranking.
(c) Sky Child~                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                         

Offline Hypershell

• needs DRAGONITE POWER!
  • Legendary Hero
  • Steel in Zee Head
    • View Profile
Reply #411 on: January 21, 2012, 03:27:02 PM
So my wife got me Sonic Chronicles and Sonic Unleashed (Wii) for Christmas, and my Mario Kart addiction finally subsided enough in the past week or two to try them.

...granted I haven't spent all that much time with either one, but right now I'm kinda thinking that my instincts served me well on what Sonic games not to buy.  At this point I'm completely mystified as to how Unleashed is considered the beginning of Sonic's redemption.  The controls are unbelievably loose, and the framerate is choppy as hell.

Also on DeviantArt, Rumble, DLive.tv, and the Fediverse (@freespeechextremist.com and @bae.st)

Offline Police Girl

• A total qt
  • Legendary Hero
    • View Profile
Reply #412 on: January 21, 2012, 03:45:11 PM
Sonic Unleashed (Wii)

Thats your problem right there.

PS3/360 Version is the way to go. 360 moreso since the PS3 version is a port and takes longer to load/framerate is out of whack.

Though both versions can't really play Adabat because the Hedgehog Engine goes overboard.

Offline Kieran

• He's just a
  • SA-Class Hunter
    • View Profile
Reply #413 on: January 21, 2012, 05:25:34 PM
You'd be better off with Sonic Colors.  I think it was the first recent game that was widely considered good.

The Other Side
http://www.crowdedstreet.net
irc.esper.net #theotherside

Commander Shepard: *stares blankly at a video of scantily clad asari dancers* ...What kind of hotel is this?
Liara T'Soni: It is a luxury resort with an... exotic edge.  Azure is slang for a part of the asari body in some places on Illium.
Shepard: Where?
Liara: The lower reaches, near the bottom.
Shepard: I meant, "where on the asari body?"
Liara: So did I.

Offline Flame

• The obsessive
  • RPM Soldier
    • View Profile
Reply #414 on: January 21, 2012, 06:26:35 PM
So my wife got me Sonic Chronicles and Sonic Unleashed (Wii) for Christmas, and my Mario Kart addiction finally subsided enough in the past week or two to try them.

...granted I haven't spent all that much time with either one, but right now I'm kinda thinking that my instincts served me well on what Sonic games not to buy.  At this point I'm completely mystified as to how Unleashed is considered the beginning of Sonic's redemption.  The controls are unbelievably loose, and the framerate is choppy as hell.
Unwiish'd was dimps. As we all know, they are not the best when it comes to sonic.

I will give them credit though, I loved the Wii/PS2 Eggmanland. I like the beginning of the stage with the big Eggman mouth.

When people say Unleashed was the beginning  of Sonic's redemption, they mean the PS3/360 version. The version actually made by Sonic Team.

...When Larry the reploid accountant goes maverick of his own accord, he's certainly formidable during tax season, but he isn't going to provide X the challenge needed to make him grow as a warrior and reach his potential.

Offline Rayl

• The Missing Piece
  • Resistance Member
  • (╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
    • View Profile
Reply #415 on: January 21, 2012, 06:38:44 PM
I will give them credit though, I loved the Wii/PS2 Eggmanland. I like the beginning of the stage with the big Eggman mouth.

This right here is the only reason to play that version of the game, Day version of Eggmanland was FANTASTIC as opposed to the terribleness of PS3/360's Eggmanland. Almost makes you think they swapped developers when they came to make that stage.

Offline Hypershell

• needs DRAGONITE POWER!
  • Legendary Hero
  • Steel in Zee Head
    • View Profile
Reply #416 on: January 22, 2012, 04:07:14 AM
Unwiish'd was dimps. As we all know, they are not the best when it comes to sonic.
I'll be the first to tell you that Dimps is not perfect (why oh why are there so many pits in DC-era Generations on 3DS?!), but I had a higher opinion of them before I played Unleashed.  Their handheld stuff, STH4, Colors, none of it handles as badly as Unleashed does.  At least, that's what I'm getting from my early impressions.

Offline Police Girl

• A total qt
  • Legendary Hero
    • View Profile
Reply #417 on: January 22, 2012, 05:05:58 AM
Dimps didn't make colors.

If they did it would've been the same damn thing as UnWiished, hard to control Sonic in 3D, Two or Three Enemies per segment of level, Ranking being dependent on Time only, Dull and Drab looking stages, etc.

This right here is the only reason to play that version of the game, Day version of Eggmanland was FANTASTIC as opposed to the terribleness of PS3/360's Eggmanland. Almost makes you think they swapped developers when they came to make that stage.

I honestly don't see why people hate PS3/360 Eggmanland, because its hard? Seriously? PS2/Wii Eggmanland Day was less fun (The fact that dying once with that slippery gameplay meant going back to the previous checkpoint while also keeping your time was obnoxious.), and you had 5 night stages on top of that (As Opposed to 3 segments each). HD Eggmanland wasn't even hard (or long) once you got the hang of it, and it had a bigger feeling of accomplishment when you went from the entrance to the very end.

Okay, the HotDog Missions in Eggmanland sucked hard, but that's besides the point.

I'll be the first to tell you that Dimps is not perfect (why oh why are there so many pits in DC-era Generations on 3DS?!), but I had a higher opinion of them before I played Unleashed.

Yeah, Unleashed made me disillusioned with Dimps as well, how the critics thought their version was better is beyond me.

Offline Flame

• The obsessive
  • RPM Soldier
    • View Profile
Reply #418 on: January 22, 2012, 06:06:43 AM
Didnt Dimps make the handheld Colors?

People like PS2/Wii Eggmanland DAY. Because it plays great and the design is pretty neat. The rest of Eggmanland can suck it. 5 night stages? Really? (all annoying too)

Also, unwiish'd had the mechanic where you could charge up a boost before it said "Go", and Sonic would use the Spindash animation. An animation he would also use when he boosted into a dash panel. (something generations seems to have taken notice of and used for both that, and drifting)

Also, people tend to dislike 360/PS3 Eggmanland because it was just so long and tedious, and having to switch to the Werehog for certain segments really broke the flow of the day segments.

...When Larry the reploid accountant goes maverick of his own accord, he's certainly formidable during tax season, but he isn't going to provide X the challenge needed to make him grow as a warrior and reach his potential.

Offline Police Girl

• A total qt
  • Legendary Hero
    • View Profile
Reply #419 on: January 22, 2012, 06:25:50 AM
Didnt Dimps make the handheld Colors?

They did but he seperated Colors from "Their handheld stuff" which led me to assume that he thought Wii Colors was made by them.

People like PS2/Wii Eggmanland DAY. Because it plays great and the design is pretty neat. The rest of Eggmanland can suck it. 5 night stages? Really? (all annoying too)

It looks fine (by UnWiished standards, which is moderately less dull and dark) but it still had too many of the issues that the rest of the game had (Enemies only being present as Homing Attack Chain fodder or just in the way, slippery controls) Other than that I will agree that going into the big eggmanland head was cool, but that was really it.

Also, unwiish'd had the mechanic where you could charge up a boost before it said "Go", and Sonic would use the Spindash animation. An animation he would also use when he boosted into a dash panel. (something generations seems to have taken notice of and used for both that, and drifting)

I guess that was cool since the last game Sonic had the Spindash as something he could actually use was '06.

Also, people tend to dislike 360/PS3 Eggmanland because it was just so long and tedious, and having to switch to the Werehog for certain segments really broke the flow of the day segments.

This is because people don't like werehog/Don't know how to run with him (Which makes it faster but people still [sonic slicer] that he's slow), they also are under the impression that enemies in a room always mean you have to kill them all (If I remember there are only 4 sections of this nature in the Night segments, 1 in the first part and 3 in the last.), Werehog part 2 is the shortest one as its only a small platforming bit and two enemy rooms that can be easily skipped. Part 1 is short too, as again there is only that one part with the enemies that need to be killed to get to the switch to get access to Hedgehog Part 2. Part 3 is the Longest but it goes by really quickly if you know what you're doing.

The first time going through I can understand why people think its long and tedious, but its the End of the game, nobody should be expecting any Apotos-level challenge, they should've gotten used to "Long and Tedious" with Adabat.

Offline Rayl

• The Missing Piece
  • Resistance Member
  • (╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
    • View Profile
Reply #420 on: January 22, 2012, 02:29:08 PM
No my problem with PS3/360 Eggmanland isn't because it's long, it's WHY it's long, mixing the day and night segments was a terrible idea and as previously stated broke the flow of the fun segments becoming a stage that was:

"FUN!" > "BORING!" > "FUN AGA-" > "ALREADY?!"

as opposed to Wii/PS2's Day Eggmanland's "flawed yet constantly fun" stage of awesome.

Offline Police Girl

• A total qt
  • Legendary Hero
    • View Profile
Reply #421 on: January 22, 2012, 02:31:33 PM
I thought both hedgehog and werehog were fun.

I guess that's abnormal.

Offline Rayl

• The Missing Piece
  • Resistance Member
  • (╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
    • View Profile
Reply #422 on: January 22, 2012, 02:36:50 PM
I wouldn't go as far as to say i hated the Werehog segments, that's too harsh. However i would say that they were wearing a bit thin on my patience, to say the least, by the time Eggmanland came around.

Offline Flame

• The obsessive
  • RPM Soldier
    • View Profile
Reply #423 on: January 22, 2012, 06:51:21 PM
What I hated more about the night segments was not the werehog, but the battle music that CONSTANTLY interrupted the stage music. I HATE that battle theme. It's annoying. I dont want to keep hearing that every time I hit something, I want to keep hearing the stage music.

Offline Hypershell

• needs DRAGONITE POWER!
  • Legendary Hero
  • Steel in Zee Head
    • View Profile
Reply #424 on: January 22, 2012, 11:38:50 PM
They did but he seperated Colors from "Their handheld stuff" which led me to assume that he thought Wii Colors was made by them.
Touche.  I didn't realize that Sonic Team picked up the boost gauge habit.

Even so, I still think that Dimp's usuals are better than UnWiished.