[sonic slicer] about Sonic

Acid · 222417

Offline Flame

• The obsessive
  • RPM Soldier
    • View Profile
Reply #300 on: October 08, 2011, 04:52:04 AM
Theres NOTHING to [sonic slicer] about.

Sonic freaking Generations has proved to be almost perfect. There is officially nothing to [sonic slicer] about.

...When Larry the reploid accountant goes maverick of his own accord, he's certainly formidable during tax season, but he isn't going to provide X the challenge needed to make him grow as a warrior and reach his potential.

Offline Hypershell

• needs DRAGONITE POWER!
  • Legendary Hero
  • Steel in Zee Head
    • View Profile
    • Get equipped with Hyper's DA
Reply #301 on: October 08, 2011, 05:03:53 AM
While the game looks badass, it's hard to say that it's "proved" to be anything before one has actually played it.

Also on DeviantArt, Rumble, DLive.tv, and the Fediverse (@freespeechextremist.com and @bae.st)

Offline Bueno Excelente

• Diddlyboodlyzoodly
  • Master's Unit
    • View Profile
Reply #302 on: October 08, 2011, 10:59:34 AM
Theres NOTHING to [sonic slicer] about.

Sonic freaking Generations has proved to be almost perfect. There is officially nothing to [sonic slicer] about.
Um... where and how? The game's not even out yet.

People have said the demo still has some physics problems and stuff that still had to be ironed out, or might become bothersome in stages ahead. We have no idea how the design for the later stages will hold up completely. Or if they'll just use bottomless pits anyway and throw everything away like in Unleashed.

Let's be cautious here, alright? The game's not out, and from experience through the last FRIGGIN' DECADE, there's plenty that can go wrong.

And I was honestly trying to mock the thread title. Plus, don't we have a Generations topic already?

Offline Flame

• The obsessive
  • RPM Soldier
    • View Profile
Reply #303 on: October 08, 2011, 04:50:26 PM
Just sayin', there little to [sonic slicer] about. >.>

...When Larry the reploid accountant goes maverick of his own accord, he's certainly formidable during tax season, but he isn't going to provide X the challenge needed to make him grow as a warrior and reach his potential.

Offline Bueno Excelente

• Diddlyboodlyzoodly
  • Master's Unit
    • View Profile
Reply #304 on: October 08, 2011, 09:46:31 PM
Past games, spinoffs, anime/animations, ten years of horribility, the very recent and still fresh awful Kinect title, some of Generations' techno remixes, the fact that Sega's making us rebuy CD yet again in a remade format even though it's largely the same game, the constant compilations...

Still tons of stuff to [sonic slicer] about.

Offline Waifu

• Ultimate Despair
  • Master's Unit
  • Kanako, the Moriya Shrine Goddess
    • View Profile
Reply #305 on: October 10, 2011, 03:20:06 AM
Like what were thinking when they created Shadow The Hedgehog the game.  8)

Offline Rin

• The Hate Machine
  • Master's Unit
  • WORD
    • View Profile
Reply #306 on: October 10, 2011, 08:12:00 AM
Like what were thinking when they created Shadow The Hedgehog the game.  8)
They were thinking:
A game about Shadow?! With guns?! FANS WILL EAT THIS [parasitic bomb] UP, DO EET!

Offline Flame

• The obsessive
  • RPM Soldier
    • View Profile
Reply #307 on: October 10, 2011, 08:38:48 AM
Eh. It still had its moments. More than Sonic 06 can say it has.

Offline Bueno Excelente

• Diddlyboodlyzoodly
  • Master's Unit
    • View Profile
Reply #308 on: October 10, 2011, 10:55:50 AM
06 was a game that was left... about 30% finished, I guess. I wouldn't even call it alpha status, really.

Shadow the Hedgehog had another completely different problem. When it was announced, I was seriously happy. I LIKED the concept. Shadow with guns? Yay, Sega are actually trying something fresh and new. The problem with it, was that it is by far the WORST example of game design I have ever seen in my entire life. The game was broken right out of the planning stages.

The game focused on:
- Collecting/activating items that were sometimes hidden
- Killing/sparing certain kinds of enemies

The gameplay focused on:
- Going as fast as you possibly can, meaning no level exploration
- Having no control over where you fire your gun except for the game's very broken lock-on mechanic, which indiscriminately murders any kind of enemy
- Two power-ups, which focus on either racing away from things that are important in the level, or killing all enemies around you, including ones you're supposed to leave alive.

Even the damn power-ups work AGAINST the game itself. The very concept of the game was broken. Exploration had to be done by trial-and-error, and levels had to be gone through again and again due to the "checkpoint system", something so stupid I don't believe any game has ever tried to incorporate in its normal gameplay. Add to that bad graphics, bugs, bad level design, bad gameplay mechanics, the fact that it looks, plays and feels like some fan mod of Heroes (which it is) and you got Shadow. The one linear game in the world in which its main objectives are explorative. And probably the only game in the 21st century I can find where you're forced to repetitively replay levels just to try to get a different conclusion in order to access other levels in the game.

Offline Flame

• The obsessive
  • RPM Soldier
    • View Profile
Reply #309 on: October 10, 2011, 08:04:35 PM
funny you should say Fan mod of Heroes, since Shadow The Hedgehog used the Heroes Engine. Which again, was odd, since it was nothing like Heroes. Interesting to note how the final boss is similar to Metal Sonic's final form. They even recycled the sky and changed its color.

At least the music was neat. One thing they SHOULD have done was yknow, not have your supposed ALLIES trying to kill you. I mean, Ok, im siding with either the aliens or humans/robots. Ok. why are they still shooting at me. Seriously.

Chaos Control is really only useful if you are going for the Neutral story, which involves ignoring everything and getting the Emerald at the end.

Also, Black Doom tells him to get the emeralds. Then technically, he should be doing that- going for the emeralds at the end of the stages. But you get an emerald, and Doom goes all YOU TRAITOORRRRRR

Offline Bueno Excelente

• Diddlyboodlyzoodly
  • Master's Unit
    • View Profile
Reply #310 on: October 10, 2011, 08:53:56 PM
funny you should say Fan mod of Heroes, since Shadow The Hedgehog used the Heroes Engine. Which again, was odd, since it was nothing like Heroes. Interesting to note how the final boss is similar to Metal Sonic's final form. They even recycled the sky and changed its color.

At least the music was neat. One thing they SHOULD have done was yknow, not have your supposed ALLIES trying to kill you. I mean, Ok, im siding with either the aliens or humans/robots. Ok. why are they still shooting at me. Seriously.

Chaos Control is really only useful if you are going for the Neutral story, which involves ignoring everything and getting the Emerald at the end.

Also, Black Doom tells him to get the emeralds. Then technically, he should be doing that- going for the emeralds at the end of the stages. But you get an emerald, and Doom goes all YOU TRAITOORRRRRR
I said mod BECAUSE of that. Because it is a mod, all in all. Tons of recycled models and a game that was rushed out.

The music's always neat in all Sonic games, excluding that aberration made by the Bioware interns.

And honestly, the game was basically the story of SA2 being raped to hell and back. HE WAS MADE BY ALIENS TOO AND BEING A WEAPON AGAINST THE ALIENS WAS THE WHOLE PURPOSE OF THE CANNON ALSO EVERYONE JUST FEELS LIKE THEY CAN ALLY WITH YOU AND THE WHOLE STORY'S AWFULLY TOLD

Offline AquaTeamV3

• Class SSS Digger
  • SA-Class Hunter
  • Your friendly neighborhood digger!
    • View Profile
    • The Digger's Database
Reply #311 on: October 10, 2011, 10:43:24 PM
Shadow the Hedgehog is actually pretty fun if you do straight neutral missions.  Kill off the bad guys and zoom through the levels with Chaos Control.  Of course, you obviously have to do everything to get the 'real' ending, which is dumb.  To this day I hate those Artificial Chaos missions with a fiery passion.  X(

PSN: AquaTeamV3
NNID: BaconStunner
GGPO: AquaTeamV3
My YouTube Channel
The Digger's Database (My Megaman Legends site)

Offline Bueno Excelente

• Diddlyboodlyzoodly
  • Master's Unit
    • View Profile
Reply #312 on: October 10, 2011, 10:47:26 PM
Shadow the Hedgehog is actually pretty fun if you do straight neutral missions.  Kill off the bad guys and zoom through the levels with Chaos Control.  Of course, you obviously have to do everything to get the 'real' ending, which is dumb.  To this day I hate those Artificial Chaos missions with a fiery passion.  X(
Nnnnnnope. Still suffers from bad level design/graphics/bugs. But I do agree that it is the only non-broken way to get through the game, the easiest, and actually the funnest, since the best level is probably that sky temple fortress level.

...why are the best Sonic levels always sky fortresses? Flying Battery, Death Egg, Sky Deck...

Offline Flame

• The obsessive
  • RPM Soldier
    • View Profile
Reply #313 on: October 10, 2011, 11:15:23 PM
Eggman's base was pretty neat itself. The final stage one I think.

Eh. Most of the StHH final stages were cool. Cosmic Fall is a favorite.

The Haunted Castle level was cool too. though if I recall, the part near the end where you had to grind with I dont remember what chasing you was hard as hell.

Offline Hypershell

• needs DRAGONITE POWER!
  • Legendary Hero
  • Steel in Zee Head
    • View Profile
    • Get equipped with Hyper's DA
Reply #314 on: October 10, 2011, 11:24:29 PM
Shadow's graphics/framerate sucked, and the missions MIGHT have worked if they weren't so overly strict.  I don't even have too many issues with the "friendlies" aiming at you (the G.U.N. commander is a dick who disregards whatever Shadow is doing anyway, and we don't know how much if any brains the Black Arms has), but I just wish that mission requirements didn't have you needing to kill EVERY DAMN ONE OF THEM.  There is absolutely no leeway, which gets aggravating.

I for one hated the concept of Shadow with a gun, but once aliens and ray beams were thrown into the mix (providing a more "fantasy" and less "GTA hedgehog" feel), I warmed up to it a little better.  Having actually played it, the game convinced me that the concept could have worked.  But the execution was way off.  I will say, though, that I still enjoyed it more than I did Heroes.

Also on DeviantArt, Rumble, DLive.tv, and the Fediverse (@freespeechextremist.com and @bae.st)

Offline Bueno Excelente

• Diddlyboodlyzoodly
  • Master's Unit
    • View Profile
Reply #315 on: October 10, 2011, 11:56:52 PM
Eggman's base was pretty neat itself. The final stage one I think.

Eh. Most of the StHH final stages were cool. Cosmic Fall is a favorite.

The Haunted Castle level was cool too. though if I recall, the part near the end where you had to grind with I dont remember what chasing you was hard as hell.
Urgh, I spent half an hour looking for stuff around in that level, and the flying bat parts were awful.

Plus, the entire concept of the game is broken. Speed levels cannot have collectables as main objectives. Trying to put one or two things hidden in levels is fine, but this was like making the main objective of a Sonic Adventure 2 level to find all the hidden elements. It would never, ever work, and there has never been any game in history where it worked before.

Offline Mirby

• RPM's Krillin
  • Legendary Hero
  • KINGDOM HEARTS IS WAAAAAAA
    • View Profile
    • Mirby Studios
Reply #316 on: October 11, 2011, 03:38:56 AM
Let us not forget such gems as "Where's that damn fourth Chaos Emerald?" and "FIND THE COMPUTER ROOM!!!!!!1!1!!!"

OH [parasitic bomb] IM USING LINK AND I ACCIDENTALLY FINAL SMASHED A CUCCO OH GOD HELP
Just enjoy yourself, don't complain about everything

Offline Flame

• The obsessive
  • RPM Soldier
    • View Profile
Reply #317 on: October 11, 2011, 06:25:06 AM
That damn 4th chaos emerald was amusing though.

Dont forget "YOU KNOW WHAT THEY SAY, THE MORE THE MERRIER!"

Offline Bueno Excelente

• Diddlyboodlyzoodly
  • Master's Unit
    • View Profile
Reply #318 on: October 11, 2011, 10:25:01 AM
My personal favorite was them banging on Chaos Emeralds on us through the levels as if it was nothing. HEY, A CHAOS EMERALD. COLLECT IT, THEY'RE FUN.

And my personal favorite "IT'S LIKE TAKING CANDY FROM A BABY, WHICH IS FINE BY ME!" (on the true good path, BTW).  In other words, LOOKAMEE I SO EDGY

Offline Rin

• The Hate Machine
  • Master's Unit
  • WORD
    • View Profile
Reply #319 on: October 11, 2011, 11:20:34 AM
"IT'S LIKE TAKING CANDY FROM A BABY, WHICH IS FINE BY ME!" (on the true good path, BTW).  In other words, LOOKAMEE I SO EDGY
HA!
I remember uploading a video with this cutscene on to my old and now banned YT account.
Yeah, it was [tornado fang]ing stupid. Still... the stupidest thing I've ever heard in this game is GUN Commander's speech to Shadow when he meets him on the Ark.
MARIA WAS THE ONLY FAMILY I KNEW, AND YOU KILLED HER!
[Then a moment later...]
BUT IT'S JUST NOT ABOUT MARIA, EVERYONE I KNEW AND LOVED DIED, WORST OF ALL... MY FAMILY!

It was more or less like this.
I laughed so hard I couldn't stop.

Offline Bueno Excelente

• Diddlyboodlyzoodly
  • Master's Unit
    • View Profile
Reply #320 on: October 11, 2011, 11:32:37 AM
HA!
I remember uploading a video with this cutscene on to my old and now banned YT account.
Yeah, it was [tornado fang]ing stupid. Still... the stupidest thing I've ever heard in this game is GUN Commander's speech to Shadow when he meets him on the Ark.
[Then a moment later...]
BUT IT'S JUST NOT ABOUT MARIA, EVERYONE I KNEW AND LOVED DIED, WORST OF ALL... MY FAMILY!

The entire game was bad fanfic. Thankfully, none of its events have ever even been aluded to ever again.

Too bad it turned out badly. I think it was the one game to really cinge the thought that Sonic games were bad into people. Heroes was much better received, and merely considered as a bump in the road and a more cheery, kiddy approach at Sonic. But I really did think that the edgier and more mature style of Adventure 1 and 2 worked wonders with the character, and could have evolved greatly from there. Giving each character their own place in the world and their own identity, and moving them into the real world felt really cool overall. Plus, they coulda always introduced that plot point that GUN was experimenting with their own versions of the Ultimate Life Form in the late 80s, but decided to dump the experimented animals on some backwater wilderness called Green Hill, where they decided to be Earth-saviors against the conquerings of a mad scientist. =P

Offline Zan

• Master's Unit
  • Unpleasable Unhelpful Utopian Totalitarian
    • View Profile
Reply #321 on: October 11, 2011, 11:36:39 AM
HA!
[Then a moment later...]

That's the exact reverse.

GUN COMMANDER: I know you... Shadow the Hedgehog. You killed everyone I
               loved... my family... Maria. I've been waiting all my life for
               this day!

SHADOW: What?! Me... and Maria?

GUN COMMANDER (voiceover): Maria was like a sister to me. She was the only
                           family I knew! And because of you... she was killed!

The first line already hints that "everyone he loved" and "his family"  are but one person: Maria.

Offline Rin

• The Hate Machine
  • Master's Unit
  • WORD
    • View Profile
Reply #322 on: October 11, 2011, 11:45:10 AM
Jesus Zan...

"You don't fool me!"
"Thanks to you everyone I knew and loved was killed when the ARK was destroyed!"
"Worst of all. MY FAMILY!"

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=asyhFIdRPzI[/youtube]

Listen to how this [tornado fang]ing sounds. Read it loudly and tell me... does this make sense?
Sure if you stretch it a bit, we might agree he's talking about Maria... but the way it's worded sounds like he just changed his mind suddenly and decided to say that YEAH, I had a family too. And they are DEEEEEAAD!

Offline Zan

• Master's Unit
  • Unpleasable Unhelpful Utopian Totalitarian
    • View Profile
Reply #323 on: October 11, 2011, 11:58:58 AM
He's just trying to stress her importance to him. Chalk it up to awkward translation.

Offline Bueno Excelente

• Diddlyboodlyzoodly
  • Master's Unit
    • View Profile
Reply #324 on: October 11, 2011, 12:26:22 PM
Jesus Zan...

"You don't fool me!"
"Thanks to you everyone I knew and loved was killed when the ARK was destroyed!"
"Worst of all. MY FAMILY!"

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=asyhFIdRPzI[/youtube]

Listen to how this [tornado fang]ing sounds. Read it loudly and tell me... does this make sense?
Sure if you stretch it a bit, we might agree he's talking about Maria... but the way it's worded sounds like he just changed his mind suddenly and decided to say that YEAH, I had a family too. And they are DEEEEEAAD!
God, why are those graphics SO DAMN BAD. It's not just bad, everything seems so lifeless and static. Like a 1st year's 3D Maya project.

He's just trying to stress her importance to him. Chalk it up to awkward translation.
Wasn't the game made proeminently in the US?