[sonic slicer] about Sonic

Acid · 221230

Offline Adelaide

• Robot Master
    • View Profile
Reply #1275 on: August 25, 2017, 07:49:45 AM
How many stages though? Do we know? Is it half? Seventy-five percent?

If it's not at least HALF, then it's irrelevant. And do we even know how those stages will play?

Are we just grasping at straws?

Offline Mirby

• RPM's Krillin
  • Legendary Hero
  • KINGDOM HEARTS IS WAAAAAAA
    • View Profile
    • Mirby Studios
Reply #1276 on: August 25, 2017, 07:56:08 AM
You know you keep saying that Christian Whitehead was probably forced to have a last minute link to Forces added into Mania... but I don't see that being the case.

[spoiler]Here's the thing. The very beginning of Mania involves the Phantom Ruby being excavated from Angel Island. This warps Sonic, Tails, and Knuckles to a (potentially illusory) Green Hill Zone and later to Chemical Plant Zone (and several other zones too). As you go through the game, you'll see that the Egg Robos have been replaced by the Hard-Boiled Heavies that you'll fight at the end of Act 1 of each zone usually while Act 2's boss is Eggman/Robotnik.

But when you get to Hidden Palace Zone as Knuckles, you'll see the Heavy King trying to steal the Master Emerald to get more power, likely corrupted by the Phantom Ruby. And the true final boss fight (of which the battle theme has a motif taken from Fist Bump, main theme of Sonic Forces) is all about the Heavy King and Eggman fighting over the Ruby.

And then the Ruby reacts with the Emeralds and sends Classic Sonic away, likely to Forces. That is the tie-in, yes. But there's also the possibility that the Ruby is also Infinite. The new villain. Considering he's all about illusory objects (and the fact that he's faster than Sonic could just be an illusion as well), the idea that he's either using the Ruby or is the Phantom Ruby himself makes a bit of sense. I mean, wasn't Chaos trapped within the Master Emerald? No reason that Infinite couldn't have been trapped within the Phantom Ruby.[/spoiler]

In light of all that, I don't think that it was forced upon Christian. I think the idea was brought up to him (since both games are for Sonic's 25th anniversary, albeit both are a year late for that) and he went with it, integrating them all as well as he could. And integrated into the storyline it was! Wondrously so!

OH [parasitic bomb] IM USING LINK AND I ACCIDENTALLY FINAL SMASHED A CUCCO OH GOD HELP
Just enjoy yourself, don't complain about everything

Offline Phi

• RPM Knight
    • View Profile
Reply #1277 on: August 25, 2017, 08:09:40 AM
Just like with Generations, the side-scrolling stages are given to classic Sonic. That's what the videos have shown us.

He has just as big of a role as modern Sonic, so of course it's half at the very least.

Offline Adelaide

• Robot Master
    • View Profile
Reply #1278 on: August 25, 2017, 08:22:20 AM
*stares for a moment*

*opens mouth but then closes it*

*stops for a moment to think*

Hm. Interesting. Alright, since you're just going to repeat the same words, but with no actual clout behind them and ignore the things that shut you down... I'm going to walk away. Serves me right to try to have an intelligent conversation on RPM.

Offline Phi

• RPM Knight
    • View Profile
Reply #1279 on: August 25, 2017, 08:34:08 AM
Who shut me down?

You asked a question, and I stated there were already several videos shown of the side-scrolling stages, and from the very beginning, it was confirmed that classic and modern Sonic are the stars of the game. From what we know so far, it isn't much different from Generations, with exception to the custom character angle.

What we have here is you failing to realize that Sega fully expects the comparisons to be drawn between the two games. Mania being a prequel is proof of that already, not to mention the hint from the get-go was classic Sonic in Forces also having the drop-dash ability introduced in Mania.

Nice attempt, though.

Offline Flame

• The obsessive
  • RPM Soldier
    • View Profile
Reply #1280 on: August 25, 2017, 03:22:03 PM

Also you DO realize the remixes for Metal Sonic were the Japanese Sonic CD track.

Are you deaf? The one you posted is literally the US Stardust track

...When Larry the reploid accountant goes maverick of his own accord, he's certainly formidable during tax season, but he isn't going to provide X the challenge needed to make him grow as a warrior and reach his potential.

Offline VirusChris

• Virakin of the Darkness Arcana
  • Neo Arcadian
  • I'm the guy people hate
    • View Profile
Reply #1281 on: August 25, 2017, 05:05:23 PM
I was referring to your comment about using the Japanese Sonic CD track and they already used it for Sonic Generaions and Mania. Though I thought I wrote that in. Going to fix that.

Plus I did say they WERE REMIXES as in referring to past tense and more than one track, not IS A REMIX to mean the video I posted. That might've been too subtle to noticed. Sorry about that.

"Spirit-Soul Fusion! Invoke... VIRUS CROSS!!!" ~ Quote from my Virakins global project
JP PSN: UirusuKurisu
Official Husband of Fox Caster from Fate/Extra <3

Offline Flame

• The obsessive
  • RPM Soldier
    • View Profile
Reply #1282 on: August 25, 2017, 11:56:33 PM
I was referring to the US remix they included in Generations. The default was the remix of the JP track, but the US Stardust Speedway track was still included, fully remixed. (which was a really appreciated touch)  I was comparing those 2.

...When Larry the reploid accountant goes maverick of his own accord, he's certainly formidable during tax season, but he isn't going to provide X the challenge needed to make him grow as a warrior and reach his potential.

Offline Hypershell

• needs DRAGONITE POWER!
  • Legendary Hero
  • Steel in Zee Head
    • View Profile
    • Get equipped with Hyper's DA
Reply #1283 on: August 29, 2017, 03:57:17 AM
Well, no Sonic game can ever surpass S3&K.

However, Sonic Mania's quality is certainly high up, in terms of level design. It's fantastic.

A surprising amount of people hate Blue Spheres for some reason, but I always liked it. That being said, they were a little too monotonous in Mania, and should have been divided with gambling bonus stages or maybe something new entirely.
This pretty much mirrors my thoughts.

Yeah, since I missed the Mania discussion, may as well leave my two cents now:

-Ruby Delusions is like sex for my ears.  It's my new favorite Act 2 boss theme for the series, even if S&K still has the best Act 1.
-Love the course selection.  Hydro City, Flying Battery, and Lava Reef more or less represent the best of S3&K (I do miss Sky Sanctuary, though).
-Glad that Blue Sphere progress is cumulative across all save files.
-Knuckles still has unique paths, so that's cool.
-Oil Ocean Act 2 boss, that thing just throws the kitchen sink at you, and I love it.
-TAILS CAN USE CHAOS EMERALDS
[spoiler]-The Mean Bean Machine and the Amy dolls were both ingenious and had me laughing maniacally.[/spoiler]

So was it perfect?  Nah, of course not.  But it's damn good, the next best thing after S3&K easily.  My nitpicky complaints are as follows:
-The "pinch of death" where two vertically moving platforms slide past each other, and you're standing at the edge of the lower one, you die from the top one coming down rather than get pushed aside.  I know that's true to the Genesis physics, but I think there is such a thing as being too authentic.
-I need to test this more, but in co-op it feels like the computer tries to take back control of Tails EVERY SINGLE TIME he goes off-screen.  Which, this is a Sonic game, that happens a lot.  It seems to ignore Player 2 control inputs that were entered before Tails actually lands (IE, if you're holding the control stick while he flies in thinking you need to get him running right away, the game ignores you and leaves Tails under CPU control until you enter a new input).
-Blue Sphere does break the flow of the game after a while, especially on ye olde Super replays.  Compounding this is that they as bonus levels do not give any normal-stage-relevant bonuses, like rings and shields.  Since its score is cumulative across all files anyway I'd have appreciated an option to just play it separately after the game was cleared.
-The 3D special stages use flat ground textures for the bumpers...WHY?!  Also having both bombs and spikes is redundant since they are both the same thing functionally yet look completely different and are thus easy to miss at high speeds if you're looking for one and get zonked by the other.  Overall it's just harder to tell what's going on in the stages than it should be.  They also control like the Pilotwings Rocket Belt, but as a gaming veteran I can dig the "bad but in an oldschool nostalgic bad kind of way" design choice.
-Hydro City Act 1 is the one stage that feels inferior to its original (oddly, this is the one time when Act 1 is the heavier remix than Act 2).  The boats and bubbles just break the flow of the stage.
-Unpopular opinion, but think Press Garden is the weakest zone.  I like the stage gimmicks, but the color palette is horrid.  In Act 2 there are background pillars using foreground color palettes, which is a completely amateur mistake that makes the zone feel unprofessional.  Ditto for the tree trunks using the background palette, though that's not as bad since at least they're noticeably larger than anything in the background.  I also think they could have made better choices for the Act 1 crates, two shades of blue to differentiate between background and foreground is not as clear as it should be, I'd have rather seen the "solid" color used for standard crates and a grey metal/stone palette for the tougher ones, which would have made the Act 1 boss more intuitive.  I also think that the Act 2 boss was an unnecessary difficulty spike.
-On Nintendo Switch there is a bug that lags the UI tremendously.  The Home button takes an eternity to respond, and if you hold it for the Quick Sleep, the menu will pop up but will not respond to control inputs.  I have no clue how that could possibly have been missed in play testing, and Sega needs to patch it, pronto.

Also on DeviantArt, Rumble, DLive.tv, and the Fediverse (@freespeechextremist.com and @bae.st)

Offline Flame

• The obsessive
  • RPM Soldier
    • View Profile
Reply #1284 on: August 29, 2017, 10:16:05 PM
You're not alone on Press Garden.

I like it's music and color choices, but in general it feels sort of weak. Mostly because well, i dont know, it feels like the news printing setting doesn't shine through strongly enough, and it just feels like if you removed the ink enemies and the background news reel, it could be any kind of generic low-key industrial level. And Act 2 becomes an ice level out of nowhere. In general, Press Garden feels sort of disjointed thematically.

The thing with the boats in Hydrocity, is an alternate route thing. You can go lower and deal with bubbles and water physics, or follow the boat stuff, pulling levers to lower the water level.

Offline Police Girl

• A total qt
  • Legendary Hero
  • cannons are cool i guess
    • View Profile
Reply #1285 on: August 30, 2017, 08:29:51 PM
Loved Mania, have a few nitpicks (Yeah holy [parasitic bomb] what's up with that UI lag on the Switch) but mostly I just had issues with Mirage Saloon 1 with Sonic, drop dash doesn't really cooperate when you're on a plane and i found myself running into enemies or careening off the edge of the plane cuz i ended up letting off a drop dash on accident.

-No ability to use the secret options on a proper save file is disappointing, Sonic 1/2 Mobile had the same issue in a sense but you could activate the cheat menus regardless if you were in a proper save file or not, I just want an option to use those functions in a proper playthrough.

[spoiler=dumb but whatever]Why doesn't Tails beckon anybody into the little rocket car after the regular ending of Mania? Its either Knux with Sonic or Sonic with the other two. And for that matter why can't I do a Sonic & Tails & Knuckles run? Too many things to keep track of?[/spoiler]

Things I loved:
-The little touches are what count, the little hop animation Sonic does at the end of a stage with his S1 Beta sprite, his non Super Peel-Out maximum run speed using the "Swirly Legs" from S2 Beta, Splats making his debut finally (Also available with debug in GHZ along with the legendary ball.)
-Every character having a "Fast walk" animation in addition to the "Fastest Run" animations.
-The entire Soundtrack gives off a JP-Sonic CD vibe. Poppy and catchy. Press Garden reminds me of Tidal Tempest tbh.
-The use of appropriate sound effects for Stardust Speedway intermissions and Metal Sonic's fight. Hearing the sound for destroying the egg machine and the future sign followed by Time Travel just felt so amazing. That boss also had the [spoiler]Silver Sonic from S2 8-Bit, including their tendency to bounce, accurate 8-bit sounds and that stupid arm that comes out of its chest, complete with the Chaotix style seat Metal sits in.[/spoiler]
-Metallic Madness seemed to only have elements of the Futures and Present time periods graphically, but I think the music kinda sounds like the past version at least for Act 1.
-The jumping sound from Sonic CD/Chaotix being used for the armadillo enemies from Spring Yard and also Metal Sonic. I love that [tornado fang]ing noise.
-Metallic Madness just had the best boss concept in a longest time. I loved it [spoiler]the amy dolls looking like Tails Doll and still doing the hug thing (but being unable to escape as it quickly smirks and explodes) was hilarious but I don't know how i killed them half the time i usually just bounced off.[/spoiler]
-Mirage Saloon was great, loved that in some way Nack, Bean and Bark all came back even if they all used Triple Trouble SFX and Bark looked really funky. I guess they're referred to as "Team Hooligan" nowadays? I really would like to see them come back in the future.

Major Nitpick:
-We got the Tails assist from S1/S2 2013 and S3 Complete, but why the hell couldn't we get the ability to *not* turn super all the [tornado fang]ing time? Or the ability to turn off the Super Music? I prefer listening to the actual music, not the Super Music on a permanent loop.

Offline VirusChris

• Neo Arcadian
    • View Profile
Reply #1286 on: September 01, 2017, 08:27:05 PM
Back from my vacation guys!

[youtube]WLtp45DoNk4[/youtube]

SEGA... you're pretty dang sneaky including a Persona 5 DLC outfit for the game! Also the Bonus Edition, which is basically the Day One Edition, is $40 as well (BestBuy has it listed on their website) so it's pretty cheap. Officially confirmed for November 7th in the West.

Looking forward to it.

"Spirit-Soul Fusion! Invoke... VIRUS CROSS!!!" ~ Quote from my Virakins global project

Offline Police Girl

• A total qt
  • Legendary Hero
    • View Profile
Reply #1287 on: September 01, 2017, 11:46:27 PM
it'll be the deadly six edition of lost world all over again, i guarantee it.

By that, i mean we'll never see a regular edition, MGSV and FF15 were the same way.

Offline VirusChris

• Neo Arcadian
    • View Profile
Reply #1288 on: September 02, 2017, 06:40:52 AM
Well better to get all of the DLC with any version than just exclusive Day One versions (I recall how ticked people were for SSJ4 Vegeta for Xenoverse 1 when they did that).

Also there seems to be a "Shadow the Hedgehog" outfit for the Custom Hero.
Though it's mostly a rumor or a banner in the Australian website for the game. SEGA hasn't confirmed if this is true or not.

[youtube]F8Z8cCRs_wk[/youtube]

LOL! We got that Shadow the Hedgehog 2 "sequel" we've been waiting for SEGA to do to shock the fans.

PS: I love the Shadow the Hedgehog game. One of my favorite Sonic games.

Offline Phi

• RPM Knight
    • View Profile
Reply #1289 on: September 03, 2017, 09:16:58 PM
LOL! We got that Shadow the Hedgehog 2 "sequel" we've been waiting for SEGA to do to shock the fans.

PS: I love the Shadow the Hedgehog game. One of my favorite Sonic games.

This is all cancer

delete it

Offline VirusChris

• Neo Arcadian
    • View Profile
Reply #1290 on: September 03, 2017, 09:59:11 PM
This is all cancer

delete it

BWAHAHAHAhahaheheh...hahaha... oh hehehe...

Ha.

No.

Though all joking aside I enjoy nearly all 3D Sonic games and I'm more open-minded. Though I also enjoy playing all of them so to me Sonic games have ALWAYS been good fun games.

Offline Reaperoid

• Redundant
  • Master's Unit
  • d-don't fear the reaper
    • View Profile
Reply #1291 on: September 04, 2017, 04:43:08 AM
Though all joking aside I enjoy nearly all 3D Sonic games and I'm pretty much Sega's whipping [sonic slicer].
qft

I guess all I can really say is it isn't exactly what I'd expect out of a $4.4M game

It doesn't even have mouth animations

Offline Mirby

• RPM's Krillin
  • Legendary Hero
    • View Profile
    • Mirby Studios
Reply #1292 on: September 04, 2017, 10:01:15 PM
Mods are already being made for Sonic Mania PC.

And there's some good ones. Like this one:
[youtube]https://youtu.be/hvfd5KttCCs[/youtube]

OH [parasitic bomb] IM USING LINK AND I ACCIDENTALLY FINAL SMASHED A CUCCO OH GOD HELP

Offline Blue Valkyrie

• Master's Unit
    • View Profile
Reply #1293 on: September 05, 2017, 03:28:49 PM
"Oh No!"

Offline Mirby

• RPM's Krillin
  • Legendary Hero
    • View Profile
    • Mirby Studios
Reply #1294 on: September 06, 2017, 12:04:13 AM

Offline Blue Valkyrie

• Master's Unit
    • View Profile
Reply #1295 on: September 06, 2017, 02:55:17 AM
>...> <....<

OH NO

Offline OBJECTION MAN

• Neo Arcadian
    • View Profile
Reply #1296 on: September 11, 2017, 01:14:07 AM
Win a steam key in my giveaway for the better of the two new Sonic games.

Enter at https://tinyurl.com/gdswinsonic by September 16th 10:59 PM EST!

TWITCH   ➧ TWITTER   ➧ DISCORD   ➧ MY GAMES

Knockout Mondays
Experimental day: Fighting game engine project Live Gamedev (8PM - 10 PM EST)

WIP Wednesdays
Hamster Drop Gold Edition Live Gamedev (8PM - 10 PM EST)

Weekend Game Hangout
Marc, Amber, & Friends (Saturday Evening EST)

Offline VirusChris

• Neo Arcadian
    • View Profile
Reply #1297 on: September 14, 2017, 05:49:16 AM
New trailer dropped.

[youtube]XW4kjZqtY4A[/youtube]
EDIT: Now with English Subs!

Currently in Japanese, but the story is quite amped up here. Also Rouge the Bat is confirmed to be in the game.
Along with customized Animals as NPCs in the background and other members of the Resistance.

The story is looking very interesting. I got to know what's going on.

Also some news or mostly rumors to state that Knuckles is either a captain or leader of the Resistance forces.
And apparently one of the rumors mentioned we've SEEN Infinite before... as in before the events of Sonic Forces. Though not in a way you would expect. Then again people have theorized Infinite as either a personification of the Phantom Ruby or a Sonic character corrupted by it.

Silver also will travel back in time to fix his future and there will be several missions around it where you might end up helping him.

And ANOTHER character from Classic Sonic's Era will appear as well it seems?

Easter Eggs as well with you do certain combinations for your Avatar that Sonic will comment on. Not to mention this game working title WAS going to be called "Sonic Generations 2" at first before they changed it to Sonic Wars, but changed again. I guess it was under consideration for the title of the game.

And... Wisps are important to the story as well? Umm... I know some of the Wisps stayed behind on Sonic's world as they liked Sonic and his world, but really?

Last note is, seeing as everyone could guess why Shadow is a "villain" in the game, apparently both Chaos AND Zavok are fighting for the same reasons for the story. If it were Metal Sonic, it would make more logical sense however what reason is it? I don't see Chaos hating Sonic so the story here is... complex for lack for a more compelling word.

Got it from this video:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MSH4dcbD8sY

Offline Police Girl

• A total qt
  • Legendary Hero
    • View Profile
Reply #1298 on: September 15, 2017, 02:50:03 AM
Clearly the best choice for classic sonic character comeback is the long awaited return of Ray the Flying Squirrel.

Offline The Great Gonzo

• Master's Unit
    • View Profile
Reply #1299 on: September 15, 2017, 03:01:49 PM
If Forces was going to be Generations 2, and Infinite is someone (or something) we've seen before, perhaps he's an aspect/avatar of the Time Eater? From what I know of Forces, Infinite tends to 'glitch out' as if he has trouble existing on the physical plane--an issue one might expect when your god/the rest of you exists out of time.

Knowing what I know of Mania (haven't gotten a chance to play it yet), that might also make the Phantom Ruby some kind of Time Eater-related artifact.