US/Japanese manga publishers form Multi-National Manga anti-piracy coalition

Flame · 14777

Offline Bueno Excelente

• Diddlyboodlyzoodly
  • Master's Unit
    • View Profile
Of course, like I said I'll wait til I'm older because as I said before I'm not fond of my town because it's really really small.
Think big, and don't set up near competition. Stores that give stuff to a certain niche are best placed on certain locations.

I'm not even sure if my genereration even has idealism because as far as I know they don't care about anything other than themselves and the people they text.  Honestly I'm not exactly sure if it's normal teenage behavior to be deliquents or just because there's nothing intresting in this town.
All good teenagers have idealism. It's what comes from within. Just because vapid, simple-minded people don't, it doesn't mean everyone who likes to think a bit more doesn't want to save the world when they're older.

As for the comics that's really good advice I had no idea it worked like that.
I know you're an honest person, but work by the definition of try-before-buy. I'll link you a few REALLY good comic downloads you can try out for meaningful stories and whatnot, and then you can decide if you want to follow them or not.

Back on topic, there really aren't alot of manga which people are sure that will sell in the US. Most of it is just niche stuff as it is. That's why it doesn't come over.

Offline Sakura Leic

• PB's Egoprentice and Weapon's Shack Owner
  • RPM Soldier
  • Don't make me mess you up
    • View Profile
True but it's no excuse for the massive overload of shojo manga, I mean there has to be a balance! o//////o

Current playthrough: Chrono Trigger and God Eater Ressurection

Offline Flame

• The obsessive
  • RPM Soldier
    • View Profile
Amen Sakura. Amen.

why do I have to order them online from Borders or B&N when they should have it at the store as well? then theres like you mentioned. the very bad categorization.

...When Larry the reploid accountant goes maverick of his own accord, he's certainly formidable during tax season, but he isn't going to provide X the challenge needed to make him grow as a warrior and reach his potential.

Offline CephiYumi

• Kick the door, hit the floor, magical words (groovy!)
  • RPM Purifier
  • mew mew~
    • View Profile
I like shojo  :'(

Offline Sakura Leic

• RPM Soldier
    • View Profile
I do too, but I only like a few shojos.

Offline Bueno Excelente

• Diddlyboodlyzoodly
  • Master's Unit
    • View Profile
Only a few shoujos don't fit in the constant same stereotypes. I tend to love crazy stuff like Midori no Hibi or LoveCom.

Offline Flame

• The obsessive
  • RPM Soldier
    • View Profile
I like shojo  :'(
Nothing wrong with the genre itself, Even Ive read one or two shojos some time. But theres no excuse for almost HALF the manga selection in bookstores BEING shojo.

...When Larry the reploid accountant goes maverick of his own accord, he's certainly formidable during tax season, but he isn't going to provide X the challenge needed to make him grow as a warrior and reach his potential.

Offline CephiYumi

• RPM Purifier
  • mew mew~
    • View Profile
I haven't been to the manga section in a book store in a few years (or a book store) but it always seemed like a pretty varying selection to me mew.  Has that changed?

Offline Sakura Leic

• RPM Soldier
    • View Profile
I think so because now it's mostly shojo and bland main stream manga to me.

Offline OBJECTION MAN

• Neo Arcadian
    • View Profile
Honestly, if they aren't filling customer demand, then tough [parasitic bomb] for them.

They should go for simultaneous releases, in a cheap digital format, much like they stream officially translated Naruto and One Piece subbed now. Like for example, a Jump site that has a monthly/issue subscription for digital translated manga in a simultaneous release. There are way too many series to be charging per title really. They should stick to the weekly batch issue scheme, just digitally, and sell them per issue, or some monthly/weekly fee.

TWITCH   ➧ TWITTER   ➧ DISCORD   ➧ MY GAMES

Knockout Mondays
Experimental day: Fighting game engine project Live Gamedev (8PM - 10 PM EST)

WIP Wednesdays
Hamster Drop Gold Edition Live Gamedev (8PM - 10 PM EST)

Weekend Game Hangout
Marc, Amber, & Friends (Saturday Evening EST)

Offline Flame

• The obsessive
  • RPM Soldier
    • View Profile
Honestly, if they aren't filling customer demand, then tough [parasitic bomb] for them.

They should go for simultaneous releases, in a cheap digital format, much like they stream officially translated Naruto and One Piece subbed now. Like for example, a Jump site that has a monthly/issue subscription for digital translated manga in a simultaneous release. There are way too many series to be charging per title really. They should stick to the weekly batch issue scheme, just digitally, and sell them per issue, or some monthly/weekly fee.
This. seriously, this. theres no reason they should just make manga sites close. just make them pay per read. you pay a monthly or so fee, and get manga or something like that.

Offline Bueno Excelente

• Diddlyboodlyzoodly
  • Master's Unit
    • View Profile
This. seriously, this. theres no reason they should just make manga sites close. just make them pay per read. you pay a monthly or so fee, and get manga or something like that.
Official sites would be something pretty sweet. Get a license for each manga's net editions, then sell them individually online. Or sell a quickly translated version of Shonen Jump/whatever other mag a day later, online.

Offline Flame

• The obsessive
  • RPM Soldier
    • View Profile
On online version of shonen jump... but better.

Imagine this. an online build your own jump. (sort of) you choose the titles you care about, and you get those online for a monthly subscription. saves me the trouble of having to wade through Naruto and Bleach to get the 1 manga I want.

Offline Gaia

• RPM's only Card Collector.
  • Legendary Hero
  • Yep.
    • View Profile
    • YT Profile Page
saves me the trouble of having to wade through Naruto and Bleach to get the 1 manga I want.

And Dragon Ball/Dragon Ball Z, you won't belive how common this series is at my local Barnes n' Noble (eats up half a rack, after that, it's anything mainstream). Very much this.

Workshop/DA/YT/Photobucket なにかんがえてるの!?
So its about ass now huh? EVEN THE ASS HAS 'EXCEEDED'!

One mention of LEGENDS and everyone goes batshit.  :\

Yep, every time when someone mentions that game people get energized for an apparent reason whatsoever. It's like this everywhere else, trust me.

It got really messy to find my sprite and comic topic, so it's in my sig.

Offline Flame

• The obsessive
  • RPM Soldier
    • View Profile
I never minded DBZ in my Jump. But yeah. things like Naruto get it's own very own rack. and then after all the overrated mainstream, theres the very bland mainstream or shojos. And when you find a series you like, you hve to wait on odd schedules for following volumes, and sometimes, they just disappear.

Offline Police Girl

• A total qt
  • Legendary Hero
  • cannons are cool i guess
    • View Profile
So that means we'll have to be stuck with [parasitic bomb]-overraited manga (Twilight).

Don't call that [parasitic bomb] manga.

Also, I personally don't give a [tornado fang]. I only really read the Code Geass Manga, and all of those (Save that strange one that takes place in 1885.) Are all licensed and (in the case of SotC and NoN) Finished.

Besides, i'm pretty sure the main reason they want these places dead is because the big franchise Shonen's (Bleach, Naruto and One Piece.) Seem to get top billing. And those make the money, I'm pretty sure if they were just scanning the lesser known ones that don't have a snowball's chance in hell of getting licensed over here, they would've had a better chance of avoiding this. And any that they did scanlate, upon them getting release in the US, have them removed from the site as to not [acid burst] off the authorities. But thats just my take on it.

Offline Gaia

• Legendary Hero
  • Yep.
    • View Profile
    • YT Profile Page
Don't call that [parasitic bomb] manga.

Too bad it was already labled manga by the author who made it. 8D

But yeah, seeing the big name manga all the time does get tiring (One Peice, Naruto, DBZ, etc).

Yep, every time when someone mentions that game people get energized for an apparent reason whatsoever. It's like this everywhere else, trust me.

Offline Flame

• The obsessive
  • RPM Soldier
    • View Profile
Too bad it was already labled manga by the author who made it. 8D
I can call my fecal matter Manga, and it wouldnt mean it IS.

Offline Gaia

• Legendary Hero
  • Yep.
    • View Profile
    • YT Profile Page
I can call my fecal matter Manga, and it wouldnt mean it IS.

Even then the so called "manga" is a hard-cover comic book. Just as bad as a troll in central park, I tell ya.

Offline Flame

• The obsessive
  • RPM Soldier
    • View Profile
I can call it that too... 8D

Offline Bueno Excelente

• Diddlyboodlyzoodly
  • Master's Unit
    • View Profile
Dunno if any of you actually READ the Twilight mango, but what I read, the dude who made the narrative transition actually tried to make an effort so it wouldn't go to complete [parasitic bomb]. The art is Deviantart-grade stuff, but the script itself isn't amazingly bad. It's just Twilight, but they made a decent transition. You also get to see how ridiculous the whole thing is, since it's based of the book rather than the movie. So, yeah. Mary-Sue Bella at her whole potencial, and Eddy with a skin that glows like Las Vegas at night. All in all, it was a fairly entertaining half an hour. (and I'm sad to say, but still better than quite alot of the comics/manga I sometimes find).

But yeah. There's not enough demand for unpopular manga around here for it to be profiteable. A store only orders a few copies of whatever [parasitic bomb] we're into, if they can be sure that [parasitic bomb]'s gonna sell. And your corner store in the middle of the town you live is not gonna have it waiting for YOU.

A good solution would be a net subscription. Problem is, what would you pay, and would you pay for more, or less manga every week? Not everyone likes every manga the japanese magazines offer. And the service being currently used for comics is still very much an experiment, to see if the audience accepts it. Manga authors don't want to go through all that [parasitic bomb] just to provide to the small number of people who read this or that manga, so they just sue so they don't get their material outside.

What I don't understand, is the need for companies to sue over small-time manga that few people read and which is never gonna get published here, like Otaku no Musume-San, which was taken off OneManga awhile ago due to copyright enfringement. It's a kind of manga very much in tune with japanese culture, and really not something that'd sell. WHY sue over that, and not over Naruto, Bleach or One Piece?

It's just kinda stupid.

Offline CephiYumi

• RPM Purifier
  • mew mew~
    • View Profile
Even then the so called "manga" is a hard-cover comic book.

Graphic Novel?

Offline Bueno Excelente

• Diddlyboodlyzoodly
  • Master's Unit
    • View Profile
Graphic Novel?
That reminds me of a story when Neil Gaiman once went to this one author convention...

"Comics are the lowest form of crap there is."
"You know... I write a comic."
"Oh? Which one?"
"Sandman."
"Sandman?! But that's not a comic! That's a GRAPHIC NOVEL!"

Basically, the distinction is bullshit. =P I don't care if it's printed in a prettier format. It's a [chameleon sting]ing comic.

Offline The Drunken Dishwasher

• ~Daydreamer~
  • Master's Unit
    • View Profile
this reminds me to continue my hunt for the spanish Cyber Six comics...so bloody hard to find ):

Offline VirusChris

• Virakin of the Darkness Arcana
  • Neo Arcadian
  • I'm the guy people hate
    • View Profile
Great... some mangas I read online, like Princess Resurrection, Hakori Devil Princess, and seeing the latest chapters of Naruto, One Piece, and Bleach a week I'll never get to read again.

I do buy the manga that does come out in the US, though I'm waiting on Volume 8 of Princess Resurrection which Del Ray hasn't released yet since Volume 7 in November, and I have the complete Part 1 of Naruto and some volumes of Bleach. I'm a little tight with money right now, but I'm getting my paycheck today.

This is a lot of bull, if they're doing this they should at least just remove the manga that has official been bought over overseas and leave the ones that haven't alone. I rather not torrent then, but at least the companies should release more manga over here!

I don't mind buying my manga as long as it's released over here and have a PROPER schedule when the next volume gets released. Waiting for one of my favorite manga for months now without a schedule telling it when it's coming or having a manga series canceled when it's right at the end. Like Kingdom Hearts 2 manga (only Volume 1 and 2 were released), which is no longer printing I believe, and Zatch Bell! manga (this one has only 7 volumes left to translate and Viz stopped!).

The companies need help with their business in the manga market.

I sometimes wonder whatever happen to America, the land of the free...
This makes me cry. :'(

"Spirit-Soul Fusion! Invoke... VIRUS CROSS!!!" ~ Quote from my Virakins global project
JP PSN: UirusuKurisu
Official Husband of Fox Caster from Fate/Extra <3