• Neo Arcadian
  • 「Archetype Hero」
    • View Profile
on: November 08, 2008, 04:10:41 PM

Running time: Dec 1st 2007 -  ? ? 2009
Episodes: 7
Genre: Suspense, Thriller, Supernatural, Fantasy
Studio: ufotable

When an odd string of suicides begins to occur at a local high rise building, most of the townsfolk treat it as an unfortunate series of events. One girl, however, senses something more sinister at work - especially when a close friend of hers falls mysteriously ill. After witnessing one of the deaths for herself, Shiki begins to realize that a strange connection exists between each of the girls, and predicts a total of eight will die. With seven dead and the accuracy of her prediction unclear, she sets out to put an end to the killings. Yet, as she nears the truth, she finds herself closer and closer to the brink of death; will Shiki become the town's savior, or the next victim?

Probably should have made a thread about this on the old board, but whatever.

Since last year, the earlierst work of TYPE-MOON head author Nasu Kinoko is being turned into a seven part anime movie series. And it's one hell of a series. Having not read the two volumes of the original work, I can't really comment on how faithful the adaption is like with Tsukihime and Fate/stay night, but to me, KnK pretty much is the production of the year so far. These three movies that have been released on DVD so far and have been fansubbed (part four is scheduled for DVD release in December, part five in January) have been quite mindblowing for me. The animation is the best I have ever seen, the atmosphere is quite tense and the music is nothing short but awesome.

Freshmen to TYPE-MOON works probably may have some problems with Kara no Kyoukai, not only because they might not get the references or connections to the other works of Nasu but also because the movies, like the books, are not in chronological order, kinda like the TV broadcast of Suzumiya Haruhi. The actual chronological order is 2-4-3-1-5-6-7.

So, who's also watching this? What are your thoughts and impressions?

Offline Phi

• RPM Knight
    • View Profile
Reply #1 on: November 08, 2008, 05:58:30 PM
The third movie is my personal favorite Kara no Kyoukai movie so far. Some parts of the movie may not be understandable if you haven't seen the first two. If you've seen the first two movies, you'll probably be blown away with this one. This movie introduces a character named, Fujino Asagami and her mysterious abilities.

The visuals in this is incredible, there's plenty of twists and turns that keep you at the edge of your seat. And the murder scenes are gruesome and explicit as ever. The background and shading are done really well and are absolutely beautiful. The music has a nice suspense and supernatural feel that really blends in well with the movie. There is a lot more action in this one than the previous movies and the story unfolds 'til the end, that will leave you speechless at parts. It also explains further about Shiki's "Mystic eyes of Death" ability.

Overall, this movie is an excellent addition and I recommend it for any TYPE-MOON fan to watch. There are some flaws here and there, but definitely a promising Kara no Kyoukai movie. To be safe, I suggest you watch Fukan Fuukei first, Satsujin Kousatsu (Part 1) second and this one third to truly enjoy this series.
« Last Edit: August 08, 2010, 01:11:35 AM by Superdee »

Offline Akamaru

• RPM's Puppy Mascot
  • Neo Arcadian
  • I love winter time.
    • View Profile
Reply #2 on: November 08, 2008, 09:44:56 PM
I say the first one is currently the best. I can't stress enough that you should watch the movies. I loved the art and it went rather smoothly. The movies aslo get more points since the creators are trying to follow the novels. The best example of that is how in the 3rd, there is a sick [twin slasher] scene that allows you to understand the antagonist Fujino Asagami. While other series may have just implied it, this movie went out and had the [twin slasher] scene in as the 1st scene. While its totally wrong, it lets you understand her feelings and needs to kill of those who hurt her.

I love her eyes also...
Ryougi Shiki's Death Eyes

This website has picutes to explain myself (Spoilers and bloody gore included): Link

When was the last time I poked you guys...

Offline RMX

• SA-Class Hunter
    • View Profile
Reply #3 on: November 09, 2008, 09:38:22 PM
Honestly, if you're not a Type Moon fan chances are you will find the first two movies boring and/or slow and/or pretending to be DEEP.
If you are, you'll pick up the proto-Tsukihime feeling right away.

I love them regardless of what I said just now.

Visuals and OST are superb.

I suggest you watch Fukan Fuukei first, Satsujin Kousatsu (Part 1) second and this one third to truly enjoy this series.

I'm against making people watch anime in any order that's not the one intended just because it's achronological.

Offline Phi

• RPM Knight
    • View Profile
Reply #4 on: November 10, 2008, 12:23:04 AM
I'm against making people watch anime in any order that's not the one intended just because it's achronological.

Hence why I said "suggest". I wasn't forcing anyone.

Offline Saber

• King of Knights
  • Neo Arcadian
  • 「Archetype Hero」
    • View Profile
Reply #5 on: December 11, 2008, 06:27:41 AM

Offline Shiki Tohno

• 直死の魔眼使い
  • Neo Arcadian
  • 「その首…俺が貰い受ける」
    • View Profile
Reply #6 on: December 11, 2008, 07:10:40 AM
I'm on the lookout for TakaJun's translation as soon as it comes out. :O

Offline Akamaru

• RPM's Puppy Mascot
  • Neo Arcadian
  • I love winter time.
    • View Profile
Reply #7 on: December 11, 2008, 07:21:58 AM
It is too long. Too long to wait....  O^O

Offline Saber

• King of Knights
  • Neo Arcadian
  • 「Archetype Hero」
    • View Profile
Reply #8 on: December 11, 2008, 12:30:06 PM
God Lord, Nakata Jouji always gives me the creeps with his deep voice, be it Alucard, Kotomine or now Souren...

Offline RMX

• SA-Class Hunter
    • View Profile
Reply #9 on: December 11, 2008, 07:50:32 PM
[tornado fang] YEAH SOUREN!

Also the OST is going to kick butt once again.

Offline Saber

• King of Knights
  • Neo Arcadian
  • 「Archetype Hero」
    • View Profile
Reply #10 on: December 11, 2008, 08:17:44 PM

Indeed it will. Still, I really wished they would have given the tracks names so you could better remember which one was which instead of merely numbering them >_>

And [parasitic bomb], Souren is so creepy and awesome. I wanna see a battle royale between Souren, Kotomine and Nero, Nakata Jouji at his most awesome. Oh, and the winners going to get [tornado fang]'d up by Alucard of course >__>

If gg-TakaJun isn't done subbing this before Christmas, or at least before the end of the year, I'm going to kill someone.

EDIT: And damn, now that I watch the trailer again and listen to 1:47, I'm forcefully remembered that Kokuto is voiced by Suzumura Kenichi, and this guy has left me with a bad taste in my mouth/bad sound in my ears ever since he kept screaming like an idiot back in SEED DESTINY.

Offline Phi

• RPM Knight
    • View Profile
Reply #11 on: December 15, 2008, 09:16:06 PM
In 3 or 4 days, the subs should be out for Garan no Dou, hopefully. And I don't have the patience to wait for the 5th movie. :P

[tornado fang] YEAH SOUREN!

[tornado fang] YES.

Offline Shiki Tohno

• 直死の魔眼使い
  • Neo Arcadian
  • 「その首…俺が貰い受ける」
    • View Profile
Reply #12 on: December 15, 2008, 10:57:00 PM
If we go by TakaJun's track record, Garan no Dou should be out by the 17th, so he should have the subs ready by late 17th or early 18th. :P

Offline Akamaru

• RPM's Puppy Mascot
  • Neo Arcadian
  • I love winter time.
    • View Profile
Reply #13 on: December 16, 2008, 12:40:57 AM
In other words, some time between Thursday and Friday. Not too long thankfully.
Indeed it will. Still, I really wished they would have given the tracks names so you could better remember which one was which instead of merely numbering them >_>
I thought something was odd when I downloaded the OST...

Offline RMX

• SA-Class Hunter
    • View Profile
Reply #14 on: December 17, 2008, 03:09:46 PM
Downloading torrent like the fist of the north star

Offline Saber

• King of Knights
  • Neo Arcadian
  • 「Archetype Hero」
    • View Profile
Reply #15 on: December 17, 2008, 04:27:19 PM

Offline Shiki Tohno

• 直死の魔眼使い
  • Neo Arcadian
  • 「その首…俺が貰い受ける」
    • View Profile
Reply #16 on: December 17, 2008, 05:00:51 PM

Offline RMX

• SA-Class Hunter
    • View Profile
Reply #17 on: December 17, 2008, 07:54:00 PM
The good news is that you don't get to see Mikiya all that much this time around.

The bad news is that

[spoiler]you have to listen to him singing "Singing in ze rain"[/spoiler]

Offline Shiki Tohno

• 直死の魔眼使い
  • Neo Arcadian
  • 「その首…俺が貰い受ける」
    • View Profile
Reply #18 on: December 17, 2008, 10:47:10 PM
[tornado fang]ing piece of [parasitic bomb] router I have now hasn't let me finish my download. Old router would have finished in like four hours. I'm at six an barely with 10 [tornado fang]ing %. -_-

Offline Akamaru

• RPM's Puppy Mascot
  • Neo Arcadian
  • I love winter time.
    • View Profile
Reply #19 on: December 18, 2008, 07:26:54 AM
Really? It only took me 40 minutes to download the torrent...  >BD

Offline Dr. Wily II

• Staring down from above as
  • RPM Knight
  • *blushes*
    • View Profile
Reply #20 on: December 18, 2008, 07:44:45 AM
Really? It only took me 40 minutes to download the torrent...  >BD
You are so a dead dog, Akamaru... Trust me... >_>;

I'm watching you all. Always watching.

Offline Akamaru

• RPM's Puppy Mascot
  • Neo Arcadian
  • I love winter time.
    • View Profile
Reply #21 on: December 18, 2008, 08:32:53 AM
Just finished the movie. While albeit it was shorter that the first three, it was still [tornado fang]ing awesome. The animation is top notch as always and it is hard to find flaws, if any. The music went perfectly with the scene and currently downloading the ED, which sends shivers up my spine. The action and explanation of Shiki's eyes makes it easy for anyone to understand. Finally, the trailer for the next movie is leaving me with a need. A need to see more and more...

Final score: a rare 9/10.
You are so a dead dog, Akamaru... Trust me... >_>;
~w~ =

Offline Shiki Tohno

• 直死の魔眼使い
  • Neo Arcadian
  • 「その首…俺が貰い受ける」
    • View Profile
Reply #22 on: December 18, 2008, 12:04:30 PM
* DominicanZero mauls the goddamn dog. Repeatedly.

Offline Saber

• King of Knights
  • Neo Arcadian
  • 「Archetype Hero」
    • View Profile
Reply #23 on: December 18, 2008, 08:00:06 PM
My personal impression of Part IV:

This one completes the "prologue" part of the series. With this film, the entire setup of Knk was explained, Shiki's dual personality, her relationship to Mikiya, how she got the Mystic Eyes of Death Perception etc. Now the "real" story will begin and the three remaining movies will all be roughly two hours in length, which is a good thing.

Maybe it comes from by fanboyism towards TYPE-MOON works, but I can't find any other word best fit for describing my personal thoughts about Kara no Kyoukai than "genius". Despite the fact that after four movies the actual story like hasn't even really started yet (since the first four were pretty much meant to build up the stage and setting), the movies have never even be remotely boring or felt too stretched. I really enjoy the way of storytelling as well as the achronological order of the first four movies. The atmosphere and mood of the series is something I haven't experienced so far. This is something entirely different from, let's say, CODE GEASS. Similiarly, you watch the one episode/movie and at the end of it, you want more. Yet, while CG pretty much ends every episode with a dramatic cliffhanger, you don't have such a feeling with KnK. It builds up the atmosphere and experience in a different, deeper, more complex way.

Meh...too lazy to come up with fancy sounding explanations right now.
In short: Best [tornado fang]ing Anime of the entire year, more people should watch it. If people say NGE is a masterpiece, in a serious and honest way, I say Kara no Kyoukai is.

Offline RMX

• SA-Class Hunter
    • View Profile
Reply #24 on: December 18, 2008, 09:46:25 PM
It was alright, didn't worsen or improve my opinion about KnK