*RUMOR* Might Namco and Capcom be at it again...?! Tekken vs. SF...!?!

HokutoNoBen · 6393

Offline HokutoNoBen

• We Are Living! Living in 90s...90s...90s...
  • RPM Soldier
  • Nyohohoho~!
    • View Profile
A bit of a repost from the E3 topic.

With E3 fever picking up, we're already starting to hear some amazing leaks about new announcements. Here's another one to chew on: A reliable source has indicated that Namco and Capcom are working together on a Tekken vs Street Fighter game. Even better: It could be announced as soon as E3.

This isn't the first time that Namco and Capcom have collaborated. In the past, they worked on Namco X Capcom, which was an action RPG game released on the PS2.

It's only natural that these two powerhouse developers of the best fighting game series are finally making the ultimate fighting game. Both companies in recent years have really gone out of their way to cater to fans of this genre. Namco threw some extra Star Wars characters into Soul Calibur, and Capcom of course has been doing big crossovers for sometime now. They recently announced a new Marvel vs Capcom game in the works as well.

Funny, it was only a couple of weeks ago that we were basking in the awesomeness of Tatsunoko vs Capcom, and speculating on what great VS concept Capcom should tackle next for a fighting game. Ironically enough, our wishlist was half done in jest because our heads would have exploded had any of them came true. I guess I need to prepare for my head to explode now.

We'll follow up with both companies on Monday to see if they have any comments on the game. I'm sure there are a ton of questions gamers are dying to know, with the main one being, "Will the game play more like Tekken or more like Street Fighter?"

- http://www.thekartel.com/johnmasterlee/blog/2010/06/05/namco_and_capcom_working_on_tekken_vs_street_fighter

So, what are your thoughts, RPM? The one thing that possibly gives credit to this rumor, is that it's alledged that the "Vs. Capcom" domain name was seemingly put on lock for more than just MvC3's sake. Not to mention that the Tekken producer has expressed interest in doing a collab with another party, as seen here.

Obviously, the very fact that the two game series couldn't be more different from one another might mean that we'd likely see a rebirth of the "Capcom vs. SNK" deal (where each party goes forth to try and make their own games), or a mish-mash that could be something new unto itself.

Any way, again, take with a few FRAMES of salt, until we get some thing more concrete!  8D

Offline Acid

• RPM Knight
    • View Profile
3D Street Fighter or 2D Tekken?

Offline Sapphire Knight

• Coffee-Powered
  • Master's Unit
  • Short for Sapphire Knight
    • View Profile
    • Sapph's DA
Holy F! Just the possibility that this would come into being is awesome!

My thread of Random Crap

Who loves Grape Soda? Sapph loves Grape Soda! Is it true? Is it true? Ohyesohyesohyes it's true-oo~ I do I do I do I do-oo~

Offline HokutoNoBen

• RPM Soldier
  • Nyohohoho~!
    • View Profile
3D Street Fighter or 2D Tekken?

Honestly, the only way I could see this working out would be one of two ways:

1) Both devs come together to pretty much meet each other "half way". We get a 3D fighter on 3D plane, possibly with more movement options such as SNK-style rolling/dodging, Soul Calibur-style arena interaction, and everybody having access to the best of what each fighting game franchise has to offer. It'd be an interesting mish-mash to see, I would think, and might even open the door to a new fighting game "style" all of its own, in this way.

2) Go for a more "simplistic" style, a la Card Sagas Wars. The ultimate in a compromise, as the game proceeds to play like NEITHER a Tekken or SF game, and instead plays more like a Tales fighting game. Could possibly make for an interesting thing, but it likely wouldn't please either side of the aisle at the same time! 8D

Offline MadManX

• Supporter of Everything Epic!
  • Robot Master
  • The Fightin' Fef!
    • View Profile
    • My YouTube Page
Well, if this deal goes through, Street Fighter moves might be harder to do - Unless I can now spam A+B for Hadokens. Besides, the EX series didn't do too well last time I checked. I'm more interested if it adapted a 2-d perspective.

Offline OBJECTION MAN

• Neo Arcadian
    • View Profile

[tornado fang] Tekken. It better play like SF.

That is all.

TWITCH   ➧ TWITTER   ➧ DISCORD   ➧ MY GAMES

Knockout Mondays
Experimental day: Fighting game engine project Live Gamedev (8PM - 10 PM EST)

WIP Wednesdays
Hamster Drop Gold Edition Live Gamedev (8PM - 10 PM EST)

Weekend Game Hangout
Marc, Amber, & Friends (Saturday Evening EST)

Offline Bueno Excelente

• Diddlyboodlyzoodly
  • Master's Unit
    • View Profile
Honestly, I don't think this would be a good thing. Too much blatantly different styles of gameplay for both sides of the fence to be happy about whatever comes out of there.

Offline Acid

• RPM Knight
    • View Profile
Sagat would still be the best character.

Offline Bueno Excelente

• Diddlyboodlyzoodly
  • Master's Unit
    • View Profile
HADOKENHADOKENHADOKENHADOKEN

...sidestep 8D

Offline MadManX

• Supporter of Everything Epic!
  • Robot Master
  • The Fightin' Fef!
    • View Profile
    • My YouTube Page
Just be lucky Zero couldn't be a part of this to break the game, like he did the tier list in Capcom vs. SNK 2! :P

Offline Solar

• SHSL Solar Boy
  • Legendary Hero
    • View Profile
So, what are your thoughts, RPM? The one thing that possibly gives credit to this rumor, is that it's alledged that the "Vs. Capcom" domain name was seemingly put on lock for more than just MvC3's sake.

You mean the ".vscapcom.com" domain? That was just registered because an idiot at Gamefaqs registered "tatsunokovscapcom.com" before Capcom did.

Anyways, if true I don't see how this could work at all.

My life is currently bears and Jojos and everything is great.

Offline HokutoNoBen

• RPM Soldier
  • Nyohohoho~!
    • View Profile
HADOKENHADOKENHADOKENHADOKEN

...sidestep 8D

That much shouldn't be too big of a culture shock for Capcom veterans. After all, it's not like Rival Schools/Project Justice doesn't exist. If you were going to go into that game, REALLY thinking that "projectile vomit" was going to be a valid tactic in that series, well, you had another thing coming. At the very least, the opposition could side-step, if not outright PUNCH the projectile to nullify it. 8D

Any way, the one bad thing that I could see, is that this was a bit too late for the late Daisuke Gorii (the VA for Heihachi). It just won't be the same without that old man's original voice...

You mean the ".vscapcom.com" domain? That was just registered because an idiot at Gamefaqs registered "tatsunokovscapcom.com" before Capcom did.

I still think that, whatever was the immediate impetus for Capcom to register the domain, Capcom likely wanted a nice placeholder, just in case of a "rainy day". Especially if the "Vs. Capcom" label is intended to be fully marketed as a brand itself.

Offline Tenshi

• 天使の伝説
  • Robot Master
  • ミソラちゃん
    • View Profile
Capcom Vs. Namco!? No thanks. I would prefer another Capcom X Namco. I don't like Namco's fighters. :\

Offline Align

• Master's Unit
    • View Profile
    • Natural Selection, my FPS of choice
Capcom Vs. Namco!? No thanks. I would prefer another Capcom X Namco.
Um.

Offline Bueno Excelente

• Diddlyboodlyzoodly
  • Master's Unit
    • View Profile
Um.
He meant "Fighting game? No, I would rather have another Turn-based strategy game."
He did get the name wrong though.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Namco_%C3%97_Capcom

Offline Align

• Master's Unit
    • View Profile
    • Natural Selection, my FPS of choice
Hmm, by Namco's fighters, does he mean their games or their characters?

Offline Bueno Excelente

• Diddlyboodlyzoodly
  • Master's Unit
    • View Profile
Hmm, by Namco's fighters, does he mean their games or their characters?
No idea. My guess is that he doesn't want to have yet another crossover fighting game.

I've been wanting a DC one for years, and when I got one, it was an average crossover with the Mortal Kombat universe. -_-;;; Life is hard.

Offline Mirby

• RPM's Krillin
  • Legendary Hero
  • KINGDOM HEARTS IS WAAAAAAA
    • View Profile
    • Mirby Studios
But Liu Kang could kill people with a Mortal Kombat arcade machine! :D

I do see your point though... :(

OH [parasitic bomb] IM USING LINK AND I ACCIDENTALLY FINAL SMASHED A CUCCO OH GOD HELP
Just enjoy yourself, don't complain about everything

Offline Tenshi

• 天使の伝説
  • Robot Master
  • ミソラちゃん
    • View Profile
No idea. My guess is that he doesn't want to have yet another crossover fighting game.

I've been wanting a DC one for years, and when I got one, it was an average crossover with the Mortal Kombat universe. -_-;;; Life is hard.
Not what I meant. I hate Namco fighters, and don't want a crossover fighter with Capcom and Namco. Again, I wouldn't mind another RPG crossover, though.

Offline Bueno Excelente

• Diddlyboodlyzoodly
  • Master's Unit
    • View Profile
Not what I meant. I hate Namco fighters, and don't want a crossover fighter with Capcom and Namco. Again, I wouldn't mind another RPG crossover, though.
Wouldn't Capcom logically be in charge of the fighter? They kinda have more experience with it all, and they're usually in charge of crossovers.

Offline OBJECTION MAN

• Neo Arcadian
    • View Profile
Wouldn't Capcom logically be in charge of the fighter? They kinda have more experience with it all, and they're usually in charge of crossovers.

One can only hope.

TWITCH   ➧ TWITTER   ➧ DISCORD   ➧ MY GAMES

Knockout Mondays
Experimental day: Fighting game engine project Live Gamedev (8PM - 10 PM EST)

WIP Wednesdays
Hamster Drop Gold Edition Live Gamedev (8PM - 10 PM EST)

Weekend Game Hangout
Marc, Amber, & Friends (Saturday Evening EST)