13 (43.3%)

Total Members Voted: 29

Offline Asvel

• Erasurehead
  • Resistance Member
  • It's always '80s week when I'm around
    • View Profile
Reply #75 on: December 15, 2008, 01:03:47 AM
When I was playing the game to beat it the first time? No. Not even Missingno. I was one of those dumb kids who took Pokemon really seriously and believed the rumors about Missingno and GameSharks killing your cartridge.

When the game sucked, it was a 20th playthrough or something, or I was just dicking around and not intending to finish it? Yes. For example, Bugdom (this old iMac game) and all of Big Rigs. 8D

I do, however, take advantage of loopholes when I can find them. For example, Fire Emblem Gaiden. The Villager class could promote to the Mercenary class or three other classes. The Mercenary could promote to a Hero, which would then promote to this kickass thing with a hard-to-translate name (I just called it the Magic Knight; it looked like a ninja basically but had a killer Magic Def), and then you could promote it back to the base class Villager, and he wouldn't lose any of his stats. So you'd have this little guy with a dinky sword and straight capped 40s after doing this once or twice. Then you could send him up the Archer class tree, at which point he'd get a horse and have a 1 to 5 square attack range on top of increased movement. So because of one little loophole you could have about five completely indestructible units running around the field.

tl;dr I think glitches and loopholes are ok, cheat devices aren't. And I agree about not using it in multiplayer.

She loves the night and all that glitters
Her name in lights across the city
Don't you mess your life up Sunday girl

~Erasure

Offline Police Girl

• A total qt
  • Legendary Hero
  • cannons are cool i guess
    • View Profile
Reply #76 on: December 15, 2008, 01:08:02 AM
Yes, but only if the game is crappy or pretty much impossible for me to beat (Sonic Heroes and those Damn Special Stages.)

Offline TeaOfJay

• Resident Talking Tea Cup/ Lazy Super Hero
  • SA-Class Hunter
  • ROW ROW FIGHT DA POWAH!
    • View Profile
Reply #77 on: December 15, 2008, 01:11:53 AM
I just thought about something concerning Pokemon.

I'll say this, most if not all the Pokemon I use in Pearl are hacked in some way but they're still within legal bounds of the 355 EV cap. I only do this because making a Pokemon from scratch, not counting trying to get the right Nature and decent IVs, takes a long ass time.

So I use Pokesav to quicken the process. Yes, I make pokemon in about five minutes, but they're not unstoppable. In fact, I still lose quite a bit.

I don't think using something that quickens the pace of raising monsters in games like Pokemon is a bad thing. In fact I usually offer that service to other people who don't generally know how or have the means to.

That being said, I did make a Spiritomb with Wonder Guard on it just for shits and giggles. I don't use him in serious matches, and even then he can be beat easily by Toxic and the like.

Offline Hypershell

• needs DRAGONITE POWER!
  • Legendary Hero
  • Steel in Zee Head
    • View Profile
    • Get equipped with Hyper's DA
Reply #78 on: December 15, 2008, 05:21:44 AM
Exactly the response I would expect from a dirty cheater.
If you know dirt so well, I just might have to have Palkia wash you clean again. :P
(threatening with Pokemon, the true sign of a nerd)

Yes, but only if the game is crappy or pretty much impossible for me to beat (Sonic Heroes and those Damn Special Stages.)
Now THAT, I did fair and square.  I consider the Last Story part of finishing the game.  Besides, Sonic Heroes has nothing on F-Zero GX in terms of ludicrous unlock methods (Deathborn on Very Hard...*shudder*).  Then again, I don't even have a cheating device for GCN anyway.

I don't think using something that quickens the pace of raising monsters in games like Pokemon is a bad thing. In fact I usually offer that service to other people who don't generally know how or have the means to.
What I find funny is that this is only considered cheating when using a cartridge.  Meanwhile on Shoddy creating a makeshift Bolt-Beam Raikou with a wave over a keyboard is standard procedure.

Also on DeviantArt, Rumble, DLive.tv, and the Fediverse (@freespeechextremist.com and @bae.st)

Offline TeaOfJay

• Resident Talking Tea Cup/ Lazy Super Hero
  • SA-Class Hunter
  • ROW ROW FIGHT DA POWAH!
    • View Profile
Reply #79 on: December 15, 2008, 05:37:51 AM
What I find funny is that this is only considered cheating when using a cartridge.  Meanwhile on Shoddy creating a makeshift Bolt-Beam Raikou with a wave over a keyboard is standard procedure.

Actually, Pokesav makes CODES for the Action Replay based off of whatever you did in the program.

But in anycase, cheating or not, it still makes it easier for me to make a team, and that's enough for me.

Offline Tickle Buffalo

• SA-Class Hunter
    • View Profile
Reply #80 on: December 15, 2008, 08:08:07 AM
If you know dirt so well, I just might have to have Palkia wash you clean again. :P

Shut up it was a double battle double battles suck it doesn't count as a loss I didn't lose at all besides you're a cheater you probably cheated you had a cheat Palkia that'd explain it I'm awesome shut up

Offline Satoryu

• Visually Appealing
  • RPM Purifier
  • Whose franchise is dead?
    • View Profile
Reply #81 on: December 15, 2008, 04:01:58 PM
Shut up it was a double battle double battles suck it doesn't count as a loss I didn't lose at all besides you're a cheater you probably cheated you had a cheat Palkia that'd explain it I'm awesome shut up

someone's a sore loser.

although yes, double battles are lame. it's part of the reason why i don't play Pokemon anymore.

What happens in Vegas stays on Youtube. I also stream on Twitch from time to time.

Offline Hypershell

• needs DRAGONITE POWER!
  • Legendary Hero
  • Steel in Zee Head
    • View Profile
    • Get equipped with Hyper's DA
Reply #82 on: December 16, 2008, 04:22:56 AM

Actually, Pokesav makes CODES for the Action Replay based off of whatever you did in the program.
But in anycase, cheating or not, it still makes it easier for me to make a team, and that's enough for me.
Shoddy =/= Pokesav.  Nor does Pokesav require an Action Replay, it's just an added convenience to help widen the audience.

By using a cartridge, I meant the Pokemon game cartridge.

Also on DeviantArt, Rumble, DLive.tv, and the Fediverse (@freespeechextremist.com and @bae.st)

Offline Mega Greasy Houdini Tek 54321

• B-Class Hunter
  • BOOYAKASHA!!!
    • View Profile
Reply #83 on: December 16, 2008, 04:31:22 AM
I cheat after beating the game once or twice or if I'm in a really frustrated mood and I can't get pass a certain part, otherwise I sit back and enjoy the game.

Offline Flok

• Passionate Gamer
  • B-Class Hunter
  • Killsringman
    • View Profile
Reply #84 on: December 16, 2008, 05:42:51 PM
Um, no. I have only cheated in single player games, playing around with God Mode and No Clip Mode, but also spawning lots of [parasitic bomb] for me to kill, such is the case in the original Unreal. So I don't use things like map hacks knowing where the enemy is or using a hot key to perform a row of actions at once.

Flok's favorites:

Offline Cherrykorock

• Dr Light's other creation
  • SA-Class Hunter
  • Zero can divide by Zero.
    • View Profile
Reply #85 on: March 06, 2009, 07:31:55 AM
Yes I've cheated!
My friend and I got bored and used his GB cheat thingy on Pokemon Silver to make all the people and movable sprites Koga and all the Pokemon Raiku.
At the time, we thought this was hilarious.
Other than that I used the funny codes for that GC Spider-Man game. =]

Offline Waifu

• Ultimate Despair
  • Master's Unit
  • Kanako, the Moriya Shrine Goddess
    • View Profile
Reply #86 on: March 06, 2009, 06:09:59 PM
Well, I had cheated by altering the money I had in FFV.

Offline Pringer X

• Ultimate Super Robot
  • SA-Class Hunter
  • Pringer Beam!
    • View Profile
Reply #87 on: March 06, 2009, 10:33:22 PM
Any game shark-like thing I had was always broken out of the box, so I stopped with them. As for emulators, it depends on my reason (like in Golden Sun 1 and 2, I didn't feel like going through hours of slots and junk just to get a piece of equipment, so I debugged the game and got the stuff I could get).

Offline STM

• says you shouldn't play with your
  • Neo Arcadian
  • Herpus Derpimus Prima
    • View Profile
Reply #88 on: March 06, 2009, 10:40:46 PM
Cheat to get stuff not available in the game normally, like event pokemon, Japan-only battlechips in Battle Network and Starforce, or those custom vehicle parts in F-Zero GX.

I also do so when I'm bored in single players. Come on... Phazon Beam always on in Metroid Prime? You'd be an idiot to think that isn't fun.

Hint: Those monsters in Phendrana Drifts that you have to blow up their backs to kill them? They flat out explode. No death animation; they just go boom and roar. You never see them actually fall to the ground and die. Space Pirates turn invisible, like they were blasted to another dimension.

Offline Satoryu

• Visually Appealing
  • RPM Purifier
  • Whose franchise is dead?
    • View Profile
Reply #89 on: March 06, 2009, 11:22:17 PM
why didn't i ever think of that? that sounds really fun.

What happens in Vegas stays on Youtube. I also stream on Twitch from time to time.

Offline STM

• says you shouldn't play with your
  • Neo Arcadian
  • Herpus Derpimus Prima
    • View Profile
Reply #90 on: March 06, 2009, 11:33:34 PM
The best part is that the beam won't always save your ass. If you use it against the giant ice beast in Phendrana, it'll absorb the attack and possibly kill you in one shot. It's also extremely ineffective on the golem. It will absolutely [twin slasher] Meta-Ridley though.

The extra fun is that while holding down the A button will let it actually go into that rapid state of fire usually seen on the final boss, the beam has limited range... I guess around the range of an uncharged Plasma shot, if not a bit smaller. So really, it's not always a walk in the park to use the beam and it can backfire on you.

Offline Rabid Golf Cart

• Formerly known as Tsuyoshi
  • RPM Explosive Guy
  • Excellent!
    • View Profile
    • It might be tumblin'
Reply #91 on: March 07, 2009, 11:11:29 PM
I never cheat in my initial playthroughs.
Though I consider myself more of a developer than an actual gamer. I often use cheats and console commands to help me break the games and see how well they where actually put together.

Offline slystrife

• Net Navi
    • View Profile
Reply #92 on: March 08, 2009, 08:34:26 PM
I never cheat, unless you consider using in game glitches cheating. I personally consider using any sort of cheat device as heresy. :P

Offline xnamkcor

• Master's Unit
    • View Profile
Reply #93 on: March 09, 2009, 07:14:23 AM
Did someone say Cheating?
[spoiler]

*Scaled: Open in New Tab.
[/spoiler]
Did Someone Say PokeSav?

Offline SoulAnimal

• PB's Fangirl
  • Neo Arcadian
  • Protoman? :3
    • View Profile
Reply #94 on: March 10, 2009, 08:46:12 PM
I cheat only if the game is hard to beat... or im done with it ( like pokemon daimond... mine has every pokemon level 100 )