why is x the weakest character in the game

Sky · 17133

Offline OBJECTION MAN

• Neo Arcadian
    • View Profile
Reply #50 on: June 11, 2010, 06:51:36 AM
You just don't like that I called Starforce a tedious, boring, cash cow series with a plot thinner than tracing paper and more lame than a FoxBox show. Which I still stand by.

That I think is the only other bashing I've done to games here. Oh and Tekken. [tornado fang] Tekken.

TWITCH   ➧ TWITTER   ➧ DISCORD   ➧ MY GAMES

Knockout Mondays
Experimental day: Fighting game engine project Live Gamedev (8PM - 10 PM EST)

WIP Wednesdays
Hamster Drop Gold Edition Live Gamedev (8PM - 10 PM EST)

Weekend Game Hangout
Marc, Amber, & Friends (Saturday Evening EST)

Offline Mirby

• RPM's Krillin
  • Legendary Hero
  • KINGDOM HEARTS IS WAAAAAAA
    • View Profile
    • Mirby Studios
Reply #51 on: June 11, 2010, 06:54:16 AM
You did it to the whole EXE timeline, really.

And personally, I don't really care what others think. They're entitled to their own opinions and views of things as surely as I'm entitled to my own; if they clash, then oh well. It happens.

OH [parasitic bomb] IM USING LINK AND I ACCIDENTALLY FINAL SMASHED A CUCCO OH GOD HELP
Just enjoy yourself, don't complain about everything

Offline Blackhook

• Dropper of ships
  • Legendary Hero
    • View Profile
Reply #52 on: June 11, 2010, 07:00:40 AM
Maybe I´m going to try out X7...Dunno what to expect since I didn´t really like X4-X6

Offline Hypershell

• needs DRAGONITE POWER!
  • Legendary Hero
  • Steel in Zee Head
    • View Profile
    • Get equipped with Hyper's DA
Reply #53 on: June 11, 2010, 10:08:55 PM
X6 has some really bad level segments in some places. It was not thought out at all. It was a failure in level design, and in engaging difficulty.
You'd be surprised.  I'm not going to defend the garbage compressors, they're not my favorite either, but I've seen a LOT of X6 obstacles receive unjust complaints as being impossible.  Perhaps most infamous is Metal Shark Player's alternate route; few players realize you can clear that with Hyper Dash alone.  Which you need to reach it in the first place, unless you know how to work dash-jump speed physics to their fullest.  There's more skill to the game's obstacles than most players realize; they just give up too easily in light of the game appearing sloppy presentation-wise.  Many do not believe that it is even possible to clear Gate's Lab unarmored, which I have done.  Hell, I know people who have claimed that the vertical lava chase in Gate's Lab 1 cannot be cleared without an air-dash.

I'll gladly take grinding with Dynamo Spitz-Swallows over X5 leaving numerous heart tanks and armor parts flat-out impossible to reach as a particular character, to say nothing of the obvious fixed order to the bosses and even the armor upgrades (you cannot obtain Gaia without Falcon), leaving the Stage Select screen as little more than a courtesy for those who have a favorite special weapon.  Furthermore, you don't really need to "grind" to get an acceptable number of souls for using parts in general in X6.  You have to suck pretty badly at X6 to not reach Rank A very quickly.  The Limited Parts require GA, yes, but they live up to their name anyway in being one-shot deals and, besides Life Restore and Overdrive, not terribly impressive.  The earlier is a free Sub Tank (see below), and the latter is over-powered against bosses thus justifying its late entry.

No grinding for parts, money, items, etc.

Filling Sub-Tanks mean anything to you?  Or stocking lives for the secret capsule?

Sure, you can ignore it if you're actually good at the game, but it's still there.

Also, bringing up X5 again, you must repeatedly suicide for 4-6 game hours if you intend to get all the parts possible (which is never more than half).  It's an odd kind of grinding to simply build your stage entry count, for sure, but it is without a doubt the most pointless X-series obstacle to ever exist.

Also on DeviantArt, Rumble, DLive.tv, and the Fediverse (@freespeechextremist.com and @bae.st)

Offline OBJECTION MAN

• Neo Arcadian
    • View Profile
Reply #54 on: June 11, 2010, 11:07:04 PM
I agree. I too have cleared the game in its entirety as unarmored X. It is by no means impossible. I thought getting to a part slot took forever though, however it may be that I play on Xtreme mode always. I never typically use Limited Parts though. I'm always reluctant to use things that disappear, especially in games like Castlevania. And yeah, X5 is also pretty broken, but I left it out of my post to limit the cans of worms I opened. X5 started the severe down fall, until X8 saved the series.

I concede that the early X games do have some grinding, but in a very minor amount, especially compared to the later entries (X5 and onward). I suppose I didn't notice it much at all on my latest series play through a few weeks ago, as I had not found myself using a subtank outside of a few final bosses, or having to actually stock up on lives to get the hadouken.

Knockout Mondays

WIP Wednesdays

Weekend Game Hangout

Offline Hypershell

• needs DRAGONITE POWER!
  • Legendary Hero
  • Steel in Zee Head
    • View Profile
Reply #55 on: June 12, 2010, 03:36:52 AM
however it may be that I play on Xtreme mode always.
So do I.  On the other hand, I do keep save files where I've purposely stocked everything without clearing any Mavericks, on both PS1 and GCN.

I'm always reluctant to use things that disappear
They don't "disappear" per se, it's just one shot per stage.

Also on DeviantArt, Rumble, DLive.tv, and the Fediverse (@freespeechextremist.com and @bae.st)

Offline OBJECTION MAN

• Neo Arcadian
    • View Profile
Reply #56 on: June 12, 2010, 05:07:38 AM
So do I.  On the other hand, I do keep save files where I've purposely stocked everything without clearing any Mavericks, on both PS1 and GCN.
They don't "disappear" per se, it's just one shot per stage.

... really? I thought they were one time use period. And to think I've not been using them cause I always think I'll need them later and don't want to waste them.

Knockout Mondays

WIP Wednesdays

Weekend Game Hangout

Offline Hypershell

• needs DRAGONITE POWER!
  • Legendary Hero
  • Steel in Zee Head
    • View Profile
Reply #57 on: June 13, 2010, 03:06:01 AM
Quite a shame.  I cannot recommend enough that you get equipped with Overdrive while playing as X.  That thing positively rapes bosses. 

Offline Flame

• The obsessive
  • RPM Soldier
    • View Profile
Reply #58 on: June 14, 2010, 03:17:35 AM
Quite a shame.  I cannot recommend enough that you get equipped with Overdrive while playing as X.  That thing positively rapes bosses. 
pity it lasts so little.

I love X6. I like its challenge. It has flaws, the fact that heatnixes stage is composed of multiple miniboss fights, 2 with instant kill lava, (that rising one is so annoying its not even funny.) but its level design is very challenging, and iu enjoyed it.

people who complain about X6 just need to A. suck less, and B. realize games cant all be cakewalks.

...When Larry the reploid accountant goes maverick of his own accord, he's certainly formidable during tax season, but he isn't going to provide X the challenge needed to make him grow as a warrior and reach his potential.

Offline Chainsaw Guitar

• #1 Pulseman fan!
  • Robot Master
  • ^ GameFreak's true Magnum Opus right here. >:O
    • View Profile
Reply #59 on: June 17, 2010, 06:20:24 PM
It's sad, despite the fact that HideofBeast has proven to be more skilled than any one of us can hope to be, even he still complains that X6 is "cheap difficulty". -AC

Offline Tenshi

• 天使の伝説
  • Robot Master
  • ミソラちゃん
    • View Profile
Reply #60 on: June 17, 2010, 08:44:47 PM
X6 was broken up the ass. I had more fun playing Kaizo Mario, and that game makes grown men cry.

Offline Hypershell

• needs DRAGONITE POWER!
  • Legendary Hero
  • Steel in Zee Head
    • View Profile
Reply #61 on: June 18, 2010, 03:49:49 AM
You people need to suck less.

"Cheap difficulty"?  Excuse me, but "cheap difficulty" is when you are killed by some completely off-screen obstacle grabbing you at light-speed (looking at you, MM9).

Offline Flame

• The obsessive
  • RPM Soldier
    • View Profile
Reply #62 on: June 18, 2010, 04:16:52 AM

"Cheap difficulty"?  Excuse me, but "cheap difficulty" is when you are killed by some completely off-screen obstacle grabbing you at light-speed (looking at you, MM9).

This, jesus this. Stop complaining and EARN your game clear. Not every game can be a cakewalk, kiddies.

...When Larry the reploid accountant goes maverick of his own accord, he's certainly formidable during tax season, but he isn't going to provide X the challenge needed to make him grow as a warrior and reach his potential.

Offline Frozen Potato

• The Unamused Blue Haired
  • Neo Arcadian
    • View Profile
Reply #63 on: June 18, 2010, 05:07:07 AM
Well...i dont think i suck too much on X6, it just doesn't have your standard difficulty like any other megaman X games that's all.....I like it more than X5 and X4,honestly.

Offline Tenshi

• 天使の伝説
  • Robot Master
  • ミソラちゃん
    • View Profile
Reply #64 on: June 18, 2010, 06:40:52 AM
X6 is butt-easy, but it's level design is terribad. The Nightmare System was also stupid. It made the game more annoying than fun.

Offline Hypershell

• needs DRAGONITE POWER!
  • Legendary Hero
  • Steel in Zee Head
    • View Profile
Reply #65 on: June 18, 2010, 10:45:37 PM
If by "easy" you're referring to Sigma, and by "terribad" you're referring to garbage compressors.  Both are in no way indicative of the game as a whole.

And seriously, what X game is more challenging than X6?  Anyone?  Because I've played them all to absolutely 100% (and after months of trying, even got THAT [tornado fang]ing NO DAMAGE CLEAR ON YETI'S STAGE!!!), and the only way I see any MegaMan game harder than X6 is by looking to the Classic series.

Offline Mirby

• RPM's Krillin
  • Legendary Hero
    • View Profile
    • Mirby Studios
Reply #66 on: June 18, 2010, 10:46:24 PM
Sigma was easy, but I never had a problem with the compressors...

OH [parasitic bomb] IM USING LINK AND I ACCIDENTALLY FINAL SMASHED A CUCCO OH GOD HELP

Offline Hypershell

• needs DRAGONITE POWER!
  • Legendary Hero
  • Steel in Zee Head
    • View Profile
Reply #67 on: June 18, 2010, 10:49:24 PM
They're not terribly difficult, they're just tedious.  It's fine in Gate's Lab where there's more to the stage than that, but in Metal Shark's, the whole damn stage is that and a miniboss.

However, the X-series has seen worse 2D level design than even that.  Tornado Tonion made an entire damn stage out of the X4/X5 winding staircase gimmick.

Offline Mirby

• RPM's Krillin
  • Legendary Hero
    • View Profile
    • Mirby Studios
Reply #68 on: June 18, 2010, 11:07:01 PM
Also: Air Forces.

Even though that was 3D. HATED that stage.

Offline OBJECTION MAN

• Neo Arcadian
    • View Profile
Reply #69 on: June 19, 2010, 03:37:27 AM
They're not terribly difficult, they're just tedious.

I'd agree there, but that one last [tornado fang]ing nightmare at the very end where you have to remain crouching. THAT was [tornado fang]ing bullshit.

Knockout Mondays

WIP Wednesdays

Weekend Game Hangout

Offline Chainsaw Guitar

• #1 Pulseman fan!
  • Robot Master
  • ^ GameFreak's true Magnum Opus right here. >:O
    • View Profile
Reply #70 on: June 19, 2010, 05:04:04 AM

"Cheap difficulty"?  Excuse me, but "cheap difficulty" is when you are killed by some completely off-screen obstacle grabbing you at light-speed (looking at you, MM9).

Who are you talking to exactly? I'm not complaining about X6, I'm white knighting it. Go [sonic slicer] at HideofBeast on Youtube if you're so butthurt. >_>

Offline Hypershell

• needs DRAGONITE POWER!
  • Legendary Hero
  • Steel in Zee Head
    • View Profile
Reply #71 on: June 19, 2010, 06:50:42 AM
Chain, by what logic do you assume that I am addressing you personally when countering a point which you clearly stated is second-hand?  Chill out, eat some chocolate, and enjoy life.

Offline Tenshi

• 天使の伝説
  • Robot Master
  • ミソラちゃん
    • View Profile
Reply #72 on: June 19, 2010, 07:40:25 AM
If by "easy" you're referring to Sigma, and by "terribad" you're referring to garbage compressors.  Both are in no way indicative of the game as a whole.

And seriously, what X game is more challenging than X6?  Anyone?  Because I've played them all to absolutely 100% (and after months of trying, even got THAT [tornado fang]ing NO DAMAGE CLEAR ON YETI'S STAGE!!!), and the only way I see any MegaMan game harder than X6 is by looking to the Classic series.
Well, X6 wasn't THAT challenging for me, save for that one stage in Gate's Lab with the spikes all around and those floating platforms. That was just annoying. And I say that the level designs are terribad, because they were just boring and had annoying gimmicks at times. Also, the Nightmare system made them even more annoying. Especially the spotlights.  Anyway, I honestly don't think that any X game is very challenging. The one I had the most problems with was the first one, only because I was 7 when I first played it.

Offline Hypershell

• needs DRAGONITE POWER!
  • Legendary Hero
  • Steel in Zee Head
    • View Profile
Reply #73 on: June 19, 2010, 07:04:38 PM
Well, if you want to call the whole series easy, that makes more sense.  Although I think that's more a matter of how gameplay skills from any one translate well into all the others; probably why the non-fans consider the whole series to be hard.

Offline Flame

• The obsessive
  • RPM Soldier
    • View Profile
Reply #74 on: June 19, 2010, 09:11:08 PM
after playing X6 so much, I find it very easy now. (not that it still isnt challenging, but I can get through it with ease.)