Fangame Remakes That Should Be Made

OBJECTION MAN · 23323

Offline OBJECTION MAN

• Neo Arcadian
    • View Profile
on: May 03, 2010, 09:44:10 PM
Megaman 7 getting the NES treatment was cool. I think doing 8 is unnecessary though, especially with all the dumb changes. So it makes me wonder what games should get a fan remake? Here are just a few that came to mind.

Megaman X7
Why has no one tried to correct this blunder yet? The story was pretty neat. Just keep things 2D gameplay wise and remake the stages a little. For Axl, you really just need to slap in something like X8's gameplay and you're good to go. If put into X4-6 or X1-3 style I'm sure it could be forged into a good game. You can even keep the soundtrack, since it was pretty damn good.

Rockman & Forte Wonderswan
An interesting premise, but looks and plays pretty bad. It could be a good game with some updates.

Megaman V
The game is awesome, but just think about having a more standard screen to character ratio, and with color.

TWITCH   ➧ TWITTER   ➧ DISCORD   ➧ MY GAMES

Knockout Mondays
Experimental day: Fighting game engine project Live Gamedev (8PM - 10 PM EST)

WIP Wednesdays
Hamster Drop Gold Edition Live Gamedev (8PM - 10 PM EST)

Weekend Game Hangout
Marc, Amber, & Friends (Saturday Evening EST)

Offline kuja killer

• B-Class Hunter
    • View Profile
Reply #1 on: May 03, 2010, 10:15:14 PM
i once tried to put a screen together from one of the levels from the gameboy mm5 ..but it seriously just doesn't ever work out because the levels always use like no more than around 100 tiles ex-cluding mid-bosses.
that's even less than NES mm1's 128 tile tilsets

and the tiles are way too small, they seriously dont fit well on a NES screen at all. :\
this test image is what i mean, about being on a NES screen

Offline Yoku Man

• Robot Master of Yoku Blocks.
  • Resistance Member
  • "Don't Trust Your Eyes, Trust Mine."
    • View Profile
Reply #2 on: May 03, 2010, 10:30:15 PM
I think with some slight modifications to the existing map might help. The best technique I've used to try and recreate the gameboy maps is to centre everything and build additional tiles outside to fill the remainder of the NES sized frame. Therefore you could still use the original small tiles for Mercury's stage, but just add more of them to the tops and bottom. Here's how I did something similar to MMII's tilesets. But of course, the MMII tilesets were roughly based on NES mm2's tiles too, so instead of colouring the gameboy ones I've used the NES tiles. The concept still remains the same, I added more to the tops and bottom and sides. Centering the original room layouts in the middle and building around the outside.

I'm planning to try and recreate the gameboy games in NES style once NMario's Engine is done, its too cool a concept to not try! I think the Special Stages in mm10 have proven the gameboy stages can be done in NES style too.

Offline Acid

• RPM Knight
    • View Profile
Reply #3 on: May 03, 2010, 10:32:37 PM
A very ambitious project.

Ambitious and awesome.

Offline Thanatos-Zero

• RPM Irregular
    • View Profile
Reply #4 on: May 03, 2010, 10:35:43 PM
A very ambitious project.

Ambitious and awesome.

And not to forget...
FOR EVERLASTING PEACE!

Offline OBJECTION MAN

• Neo Arcadian
    • View Profile
Reply #5 on: May 03, 2010, 10:41:29 PM
and the tiles are way too small, they seriously dont fit well on a NES screen at all. :\
this test image is what i mean, about being on a NES screen

I would just recreate the levels with the new map size in mind. Take general layout and adapt it to the full screen size of the NES. There is a lot of potential here, especially if you consider those half height tiles the Gameboy titles have and envision them as no longer such.

Simply filling the outside like Yoku did looks a little weird and is definitely a waste of space. You might as well not even bother adding screen space like that.

Edit: Something like this;

Knockout Mondays

WIP Wednesdays

Weekend Game Hangout

Offline Yoku Man

• Robot Master of Yoku Blocks.
  • Resistance Member
  • "Don't Trust Your Eyes, Trust Mine."
    • View Profile
Reply #6 on: May 03, 2010, 10:52:00 PM
I would just recreate the levels with the new map size in mind. Take general layout and adapt it to the full screen size of the NES. There is a lot of potential here, especially if you consider those half height tiles the Gameboy titles have and envision them as no longer such.

Simply filling the outside like Yoku did looks a little weird and is definitely a waste of space. You might as well not even bother adding screen space like that.

Edit: Something like this;

Yep thats the kind of thing I meant. That reminds me of the Special Stages in MM10. Nicely done.

Offline kuja killer

• B-Class Hunter
    • View Profile
Reply #7 on: May 03, 2010, 10:56:20 PM
woa now that's pretty cool, your image objection. just loaded up visual boy advance a sec ago and that level getting to that part, kinda could see. How like part of that screen is only like half-visible on the gameboy screen, while 1 and half screen lengths of that hallway visisble on the nes-like image. hmm wow

Offline KudosForce

• The wild card
  • SA-Class Hunter
  • Will our future be good? Only the cards will tell.
    • View Profile
Reply #8 on: May 03, 2010, 11:21:24 PM
I'm planning to try and recreate the gameboy games in NES style once NMario's Engine is done, its too cool a concept to not try! I think the Special Stages in mm10 have proven the gameboy stages can be done in NES style too.

If you get around to doing that, could it be possible for you to make a castle path map for the Wily Star, in Mega Man V/Rockman World 5's remake?

Offline OBJECTION MAN

• Neo Arcadian
    • View Profile
Reply #9 on: May 03, 2010, 11:32:21 PM
If anyone was curious as to a comparison shot with the original, here it is. Also added to the example post.

Knockout Mondays

WIP Wednesdays

Weekend Game Hangout

Offline kuja killer

• B-Class Hunter
    • View Profile
Reply #10 on: May 03, 2010, 11:38:05 PM
i was looking at that hallway from the vgmaps site, comes out to exactly 960 pixels wide, which is 6 gameboy screens, but only 3.75 NES screens, so the deminsions probably would be weird depending on how many screens long something is

if it were 1120 for 7 screens, then it would 4.3 NES screens. so what about the rest ? :( Would have to all be entirly custom extra stuff added on ? :\
i still think it would be hard to make-out :|

Offline OBJECTION MAN

• Neo Arcadian
    • View Profile
Reply #11 on: May 03, 2010, 11:41:48 PM
You just need to stretch it out some keeping the original theme and level in mind. It wouldn't be difficult.

Knockout Mondays

WIP Wednesdays

Weekend Game Hangout

Offline Mirby

• RPM's Krillin
  • Legendary Hero
  • KINGDOM HEARTS IS WAAAAAAA
    • View Profile
    • Mirby Studios
Reply #12 on: May 03, 2010, 11:55:47 PM
Looks pretty sweet! ^_^

X7 should be done as well; maybe as X4-6 style to keep it up. The only thing is one would need custom Axl sprites. :(

Unless you wanted to use these ones that I found...

CLICKY!

OH [parasitic bomb] IM USING LINK AND I ACCIDENTALLY FINAL SMASHED A CUCCO OH GOD HELP
Just enjoy yourself, don't complain about everything

Offline Zan

• Master's Unit
  • Unpleasable Unhelpful Utopian Totalitarian
    • View Profile
Reply #13 on: May 04, 2010, 04:04:01 PM
X7 should be done as well; maybe as X4-6 style to keep it up. The only thing is one would need custom Axl sprites. Sad

If you're going to tackle such a huge project, you damn better know how to sprite, and making Axl's sprites would be the least of your worries.

Offline Mirby

• RPM's Krillin
  • Legendary Hero
    • View Profile
    • Mirby Studios
Reply #14 on: May 04, 2010, 07:50:04 PM
Yeah, it would be much more than that... regardless of the style, you'd need Axl sprites.

OH [parasitic bomb] IM USING LINK AND I ACCIDENTALLY FINAL SMASHED A CUCCO OH GOD HELP

Offline Blackhook

• Dropper of ships
  • Legendary Hero
    • View Profile
Reply #15 on: May 04, 2010, 07:56:32 PM
And hundreds of other sprites.Trust me, a 32 bit styled MMX7 is immposible to make. A 16-bit styled version would look bad

Offline DjKlzonez

• B-Class Hunter
  • Once a year
    • View Profile
Reply #16 on: May 04, 2010, 08:04:13 PM
Megaman X4,5 or 6 in SNES style would be interesting.

Steam       Youtube

Offline Blackhook

• Dropper of ships
  • Legendary Hero
    • View Profile
Reply #17 on: May 04, 2010, 08:08:05 PM
To be honest, I´m not really a fan of the Snes style. X1-2 are great, but they just don´t look that great in my opinion. MM7 looked better

Offline Cherrykorock

• Dr Light's other creation
  • SA-Class Hunter
  • Zero can divide by Zero.
    • View Profile
Reply #18 on: May 04, 2010, 09:09:32 PM
If I could what I really want to do is do the opposite of what they did with Megaman 7 to Megaman 4.

I would really love to play that game with graphics done with the quality of Megaman and Bass. Not using the same sprites but they would have that same quality. Once I get decent recording equipment I could do the music myself, with an arrangement style primarily rock based. I'd also tinker with the Wire item so it would work like the Chain Rod from Zero 2. Alter the stages so it's not just Megaman 4 with new paint. Make the story more immersive and have it work like X5 and X6 with clean stills to convey the story.

Megaman 4 was my first videogame ever and I think a lot of the stages were fun so it would be cool if I could do this.

~~~edit~~

It would also be really cool to see a fanmade Xtreme 3.

Offline JKB Games

• B-Class Hunter
    • View Profile
Reply #19 on: May 04, 2010, 09:12:58 PM
Megaman X7
Why has no one tried to correct this blunder yet? The story was pretty neat. Just keep things 2D gameplay wise and remake the stages a little. For Axl, you really just need to slap in something like X8's gameplay and you're good to go. If put into X4-6 or X1-3 style I'm sure it could be forged into a good game. You can even keep the soundtrack, since it was pretty damn good.

Will never ever happen. Too big of a project for a fan remake.

Offline Mirby

• RPM's Krillin
  • Legendary Hero
    • View Profile
    • Mirby Studios
Reply #20 on: May 04, 2010, 09:16:37 PM
It inspired me to find the (PC) version with translations. Had to stop at the first 3D section due to lack of up key.

Offline carlos-182

• Net Navi
    • View Profile
Reply #21 on: May 04, 2010, 09:29:19 PM
Will never ever happen. Too big of a project for a fan remake.
This may be an big project, but is not impossible.

BTW, I've been always interested in make a MMX4 remake (SNES Style). The major problem is the sprites. The engine... well, I'm almost done with mine  8)

Offline Cherrykorock

• Dr Light's other creation
  • SA-Class Hunter
  • Zero can divide by Zero.
    • View Profile
Reply #22 on: May 04, 2010, 09:33:33 PM
This may be an big project, but is not impossible.

BTW, I've been always interested in make a MMX4 remake (SNES Style). The major problem is the sprites. The engine... well, I'm almost done with mine  8)
You could probably use the same sprites. Look at Megaman and Megaman and Bass. Same sprites lesser system. In fact Megaman even gained a new animation for when he was low on health.

Offline Flame

• The obsessive
  • RPM Soldier
    • View Profile
Reply #23 on: May 04, 2010, 09:55:13 PM
Megaman X4,5 or 6 in SNES style would be interesting.
not really.

...When Larry the reploid accountant goes maverick of his own accord, he's certainly formidable during tax season, but he isn't going to provide X the challenge needed to make him grow as a warrior and reach his potential.

Offline carlos-182

• Net Navi
    • View Profile
Reply #24 on: May 04, 2010, 10:13:13 PM
You could probably use the same sprites. Look at Megaman and Megaman and Bass. Same sprites lesser system. In fact Megaman even gained a new animation for when he was low on health.

No, it wouldn't look good, just take a look at X of SNES Series and any enemy from PSX Series, compare them.

not really.

It depends on the person, for me, would be awesome.