Offline Kirby Pink

• Joker
  • SA-Class Hunter
  • "I play a card."
    • View Profile
    • Sprite Album
on: April 25, 2010, 08:24:17 PM
Okay, this i can not understand.
If you have seen already i did a youtube video where i used top spin.
Missed it?
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XQLBdGwunvw[/youtube]

Now, as you can see it works just fine. But, i tried it on Genesis version and the Gameboy version and it worked even better.
So, what i can't understand why everyone is so negative against the weapon. It kills almost anything with 1 spin.

The Nes version i can understand , my guess is that first they wanted it to lose energy on impact, but it was buggy and instead of taking 2 bars of energy it could take the whole thing. This was fixed in Genesis version and the Gameboy version.

If Top Spin was fixed in say Megaman 3 V.1.1 would you use it?

While we are on the subject of weapons, is there any weapon in Classic Megaman series you said:
This weapon is useless it's not going to help me in anyway.
But, it turns out that weapon if used after training kicks more ass then the Metal Blade.

Offline Stardius

• Lazy and overall passive
  • Resistance Member
    • View Profile
Reply #1 on: April 25, 2010, 08:28:00 PM
I actually think that Top Spin was really great weapon, and the one (besides shadow blade) I used the most, yeah really only downfall to it was that energy consuption in NES MM3, but with some practice even that can be avoided.

Offline Da Dood

• SA-Class Hunter
  • Dood Trigger!
    • View Profile
Reply #2 on: April 25, 2010, 08:46:34 PM
Top Spin doesn't waste energy if the enemy is weak to it. It kills the enemy in one hit, you spend one energy unit and you don't take damage.

It OHKOs 19 out of 38 enemies and 2 bosses, being the primary weakness to an additional 3 bosses. This is not a bad weapon in any sane world. Power Stone is bad.

I think the main argument against Top Spin is that there are safer ways to deal with enemies than going ballerina in their face. It's hard to argue with that.

Offline Protoman Blues

• Green Lantern of Sector 1337
  • RPM Knight
  • Searching for Wanda
    • View Profile
Reply #3 on: April 25, 2010, 08:56:01 PM
Wait, who ever said Top Spin was useless?

But, it turns out that weapon if used after training kicks more ass then the Metal Blade.

Nothing beats Metal Blade.  Nothing.

Offline Kirby Pink

• Joker
  • SA-Class Hunter
  • "I play a card."
    • View Profile
    • Sprite Album
Reply #4 on: April 25, 2010, 10:24:05 PM
Well, i never said Metal Blade was useless.
But, it can't one shot a few things Top Spin Can.

There is one thing you can do with Top Spin that you can't with Metal Blade.
Spin to next screen.  8B

Offline VixyNyan

• Kind & Generous Fluffy Pillow~
  • RPM Ecchi Princess
  • ♪ Vixylicious Nya Nya~ ♪
    • View Profile
    • Rockman Perfect Memories
Reply #5 on: April 25, 2010, 10:25:42 PM
And spin to the beat of the music~

Nintendo 3DS Friend Code: 3480-2506-4200
[DeviantArt|Twitch.tv|Youtube|Fan Work|WiiVC|Character File]
Rock10: Ranking. Rock9: AC, EA, SS, Challenge, Ranking.
(c) Sky Child~                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                         

Offline Protoman Blues

• Green Lantern of Sector 1337
  • RPM Knight
  • Searching for Wanda
    • View Profile
Reply #6 on: April 25, 2010, 10:56:17 PM
But, it can't one shot a few things Top Spin Can.

....it can one shot Metal Man.  It's so powerful it can one-shot it's creator.

Offline Mirby

• RPM's Krillin
  • Legendary Hero
  • KINGDOM HEARTS IS WAAAAAAA
    • View Profile
    • Mirby Studios
Reply #7 on: April 25, 2010, 11:02:28 PM
SPIN TO THE NEXT SCREEN! That was hilarious.

IT ONE SHOTS WILY?!?!? Well, it his his weakness... I think...

OH [parasitic bomb] IM USING LINK AND I ACCIDENTALLY FINAL SMASHED A CUCCO OH GOD HELP
Just enjoy yourself, don't complain about everything

Offline Kirby Pink

• Joker
  • SA-Class Hunter
  • "I play a card."
    • View Profile
    • Sprite Album
Reply #8 on: April 25, 2010, 11:21:29 PM
I must investigate this further, I shall test every single enemy/boss ingame on normal/hard with Top Spin and see what it's Super Effective against.

Offline Mirby

• RPM's Krillin
  • Legendary Hero
    • View Profile
    • Mirby Studios
Reply #9 on: April 25, 2010, 11:22:49 PM
Might want to turn on either infinite energy, infinite lives, or both. So you can survive the testing. ^_^

OH [parasitic bomb] IM USING LINK AND I ACCIDENTALLY FINAL SMASHED A CUCCO OH GOD HELP

Offline Rock Miyabi

• THE ORIGINAL Jammin' Ninja
  • RPM Soldier
    • View Profile
    • Miyabi on dA
Reply #10 on: April 25, 2010, 11:33:30 PM
I know: why don't we have somebody Top Spin this house, to see if it holds up better than it did against the Metal Blade?  8D

Previously was K.G. Inafunbags, Captain Heady, Damon Gant, and the guy who liked the blue bomber solely for the reason that he was blue.

Offline Mirby

• RPM's Krillin
  • Legendary Hero
    • View Profile
    • Mirby Studios
Reply #11 on: April 25, 2010, 11:44:30 PM
rofl nice find!

Offline Irgendein

• Neo Arcadian
    • View Profile
Reply #12 on: April 25, 2010, 11:47:58 PM
I know: why don't we have somebody Top Spin this house, to see if it holds up better than it did against the Metal Blade?  8D
Looks more like Wheel Cutter than Metal Blade.

Offline Satoryu

• Visually Appealing
  • RPM Purifier
  • Whose franchise is dead?
    • View Profile
Reply #13 on: April 25, 2010, 11:51:53 PM
IT ONE SHOTS WILY?!?!? Well, it his his weakness... I think...

I think it's 2 hits actually, but when positioned correctly the second hit will come a frame after the first. Search Snake does the same damage to Wily's Gamma.

What happens in Vegas stays on Youtube. I also stream on Twitch from time to time.

Offline Bag of Magic Food

• Neo Arcadian
  • Sonic's new friend Mr. Needlemouse
    • View Profile
Reply #14 on: April 26, 2010, 01:33:28 AM
The Nes version i can understand , my guess is that first they wanted it to lose energy on impact, but it was buggy and instead of taking 2 bars of energy it could take the whole thing. This was fixed in Genesis version and the Gameboy version.
My theory was that MegaMan was supposed to bounce away from the enemy on every impact, whether or not that enemy was immune, but they weren't able to get the "bounce away" routine to kick in before the "get hurt" routine most of the time.  It just seems unfair that you would have to get hurt from using Top Spin before you know it's ineffective.

Using up all the energy is another thing that makes it bad for beginners.  If you know why it happens, you can avoid it: Just don't use it on an immune enemy while you're flashing from hit damage, or on a Robot Master while it's flashing from hit damage.  As long as you're inside an enemy while spinning, the game will keep deducting Top Spin energy every frame, and it won't be interrupted by another hit until you stop flashing.  This is also why it's "super effective" on the MeggerClones and Dr. Wily's final form after you've been hit: Fortress bosses don't get invincibility flashing, so the game deducts from their energy once every frame, making the actual amount per hit pretty moot at that speed.

But however it was meant to work, the Genesis and Game Boy games changed Top Spin just enough to still resemble the NES version's workings but without the quick drains, making it easier for beginners, but a little more boring...

Offline Acrosurge

• Crossover Hunter
  • Robot Master
    • View Profile
Reply #15 on: April 26, 2010, 04:13:23 PM
I think the main argument against Top Spin is that there are safer ways to deal with enemies than going ballerina in their face. It's hard to argue with that.
Ballerina?!  Tatsumaki-Senpū kyaku, surely.  ;)

Personally, I'm a fan of melee moves, so I don't mind taking an extra risk to use them.  Charge Kick, Break Dash, and Top Spin are awesome moves, and like any fighting technique, you have to take range and timing into account.  Once you've done that, these weapons become a very effective part of Mega Man's arsenal.

....it can one shot Metal Man.  It's so powerful it can one-shot it's creator.
Isn't that only in easy mode?  I thought it took two shots to kill Metal Man otherwi--

*decapitated by Metal Blade*

Enjoy life,
Acrosurge

Offline Galappan

• Mode Change
  • B-Class Hunter
  • Defense Mode
    • View Profile
Reply #16 on: April 29, 2010, 10:41:24 AM
I love Top Spin for being one of the most unique weapon/attack from the series.

If there's a useless or worst weapon that would be Spark Shock, Power Stone, Plant Barrier, and the likes of Super Arm/Deep Digger.

Offline 169-pd

• Newly Built
  • Cyberelf
    • View Profile
Reply #17 on: April 30, 2010, 12:06:51 AM
qzecwx says it's an excellent weapon in MM3. Check out his videos of Rockman Peercast 2, or his videos "Top Spin doesn't suck" and "Top Spin still doesn't suck". Good explaination there.

Offline Mirby

• RPM's Krillin
  • Legendary Hero
    • View Profile
    • Mirby Studios
Reply #18 on: April 30, 2010, 12:21:48 AM
Or Quint's own thread; he did a complete playthrough using Top Spin as much as possible. Be prepared to set aside about 80-90 minutes if you want to watch the whole thing though.

Offline Krazy Monkey

• Cyberelf
    • View Profile
Reply #19 on: May 02, 2010, 06:29:01 AM
Even after seeing that video, my opinion on the Top Spin hasn't changed much. Sure, it may be a good weapon to use against average joe enemies that take one hit to kill, but it definitely sucks against bosses, since you, yourself, will take damage in the process.

Offline Zan

• Master's Unit
  • Unpleasable Unhelpful Utopian Totalitarian
    • View Profile
Reply #20 on: May 02, 2010, 01:54:02 PM
You're not supposed to be using non-weakness special weapons on bosses anyway!

Offline Kirby Pink

• Joker
  • SA-Class Hunter
  • "I play a card."
    • View Profile
    • Sprite Album
Reply #21 on: May 02, 2010, 02:58:05 PM
Yea, in the end Top Spin CAN be used. It can also take down some enemies with 1 hit.
So, in some stages it can be quite useful. Like in Shadow Man's Stage.

Think of the video as a analyze video where i test what enemy/boss it can be used against.

Offline Mirby

• RPM's Krillin
  • Legendary Hero
    • View Profile
    • Mirby Studios
Reply #22 on: May 02, 2010, 10:03:33 PM
That's what I saw it as; a way to show what enemies it works best against and which ones it does nothing at all to.

Offline Gauntlet101010

• A-Class Hunter
    • View Profile
    • The Mechanical Maniacs
Reply #23 on: May 02, 2010, 11:24:52 PM
It's be interesting to investigate Top Spin futher in the other games (MM2 GB and WW).  Then you can show the improvements made to it.

But, I hate to say it, that vid does not show Top Spin being very effective ...

Offline Kirby Pink

• Joker
  • SA-Class Hunter
  • "I play a card."
    • View Profile
    • Sprite Album
Reply #24 on: May 03, 2010, 05:24:44 AM
Try it out! Experiment! If i give you a wooden sword would you say it's useless?
My video is showing you that this and that enemy you can use Top Spin on. It is very effective against some enemies and not effective against some enemies. You can thus plan AHEAD if you plan on doing a run of Megaman 3, go for Top Man first, and play trough with special weapons.
That way "Oh, yea Top Spin works good here" use it there kind of way. Stop being so negative!

And sure, Gauntlet101010 if there is at least 1 or 2 more people that want it then i will glady play WW and MM2.